• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Wii U with GCN, PS2, PS3, PS4 controllers (tutorial)

TunaLover

New kernel exploit for Wii U was leaked, it's compatible up to 5.5.1 firmware, few apps has been released so far, in this mini tutorial I will show you how to use your GameCube controller (through GCN adapter).

What do you need
  • (This step is optional but super recomended) Block incoming Nintendo "attacks" (new firmwares), by using this dns:205.166.076.187 in you Wii U connection settings. If you did it right you couldn't be able to enter to the eShop, or play Splatoon online, a red X could appear in your download management icon (it's normal, don't panic).
  • 1 SD card.
  • 1 Wii U connected to internet (duh).
  • 1 Gamecube USB adapater, official Nintendo branded
  • 1 Gamecube controller, official Nintendo branded (Wavebirds work too).
  • Optional, a PS2, PS3, PS4 controller. Other PC controllers should be compatibles but I won't bother with models and stuff.

Preparing your SD card
  • Copy those files into sd:/wiiu/apps/name_app_folder <-the folder name MUST BE THE SAME AS THE APP YOU JUST DOWNLOAD! Homebrew Launcher RC3 and hid_to_vpad
  • You can add other apps following the same folder estructure.

Launching kernel exploit (evil laugh)

• Open your Wii U Internet Browser, and go to
    www.wiiubru.com/k55/kgx2.mp4
  • Now your console belongs to illuminati confirmed.
  • It will go back to Wii U menu.
    EDIT, apparently this kernel step is no longer needed, will do some test later

Launching Homebrew Launcher
  • Again enter to Wii U internet browser and enter to www.wiiubru.com
  • Select hid_to_vpad from the Homebrew Launcher list
    304230-Homebrew_launcher.jpg
  • It kick you back to the Wii U menu
  • Violà, now you can use you USB controller as a virtual Gamepad :D

IMPORTANT, you could want disable burn in reduction and automatic shutdownn in Wii U system settings, because while using an USB controller the Gamepad is not in use and the TV screen will enter in saving mode.

Gamepad to Gamecube controller button mapping
  • A, B, X, Y are the same
  • ZL = L
  • ZR = R
  • L = Z+L
  • R = Z+R
  • Left Stick click = Z+B
  • Right Stick click = Z+A

If you like this tutorial feel free to send me a Sword & Soldier II Wii U code by PM :p

Enjoy!

Interesting stuff. Any chance at using an X1 controller? At the end of the day I guess I could get that Brook adapter. Bayo 2 with an X1 controller would be heavenly.

Got the kernel step to work after a couple of tries, but can't seem to get the launcher itself to boot. Does the folder have to be named "Homebrew Launcher RC3"?

Berordn

I'm so excited for Splatoon and Mario Maker to be ruined by hackers. :|

It'd actually be interesting to see what creators could do with Mario Maker if they removed the item limits or were allowed to stack multiple things on the same tile.

They can fuck right off when it comes to Splatoon though.

It'd actually be interesting to see what creators could do with Mario Maker if they removed the item limits or were allowed to stack multiple things on the same tile.

They can fuck right off when it comes to Splatoon though.

Well, I mean, I don't want to come across impossible levels when I'm playing 100 Mario Challenge.

Also, in regards to Splatoon hacks, my sentiments exactly. Hopefully Nintendo has safeguards in place for Console banning in that situation.

ffdgh

I'm so excited for Splatoon and Mario Maker to be ruined by hackers. :|

I actually want to see if it's possible for expert and super expert mode to get worse. As for splatoon...at the worst I expect a lot more perfect gear.

Worried about mario kart 8 though Given what happened to mario kart wii.

Rich!

Yep this is fantastic.

I've just played some NSMBU and Rayman Legends with a dualshock 4 then tried some Wind Waker and Mario Kart 8 with my GameCube Wavebird. Works brilliantly.

I also tried call of duty with a keyboard and mouse. That was...pretty damn good.

Seik

Banned
Can you rip Wii U games with homebrew yet??? :O

Didn't know it was so easy to homebrew! Sorry to bring this off topic a bit but I'm really interested to know for when CEMU will get better.

can you play Wii games on the gamepad controller now?

that was my one big missing feature. i want to play Ikaruga on the toil... err in bed.

edit: just realized Bayo with DS4 is now a thing. praise the sun.

KyleCross

I haven't updated my Wii-U in over a year cause I wanted to see what homebrew was possible. Alas this means I haven't got to play my copy of Splatoon, bought day-1, at all. So it's possible to update to play online and still have the possibility of homebrew? What's the catch?

I've been thinking about just forgetting about it and just updating my system to play (I haven't installed any homebrew yet).

Top Bottom