• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

I was in Target tonight and saw a lone PS2 slim sitting there for $129. Kinda crazy they're still asking that much. $99 I could see but 130?

Listen to this if you want to make the following image more profound.

DZNT4.jpg

this is from inception originally?

Off the subject,, but sorta on topic, on a whim, I checked all the stores in my town. Not a single PS2 around. The Gamestop wizards claim that the console is way too old and they haven't seen new ones in months because they stopped making them a long time ago...
I hate that place.

They are drying up everywhere online though. Sonystyle is selling them for $149 and most places that still have them have jacked them up. I should have bought one at the Mart of Wal when it was $99 as a spare just to have.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Off the subject,, but sorta on topic, on a whim, I checked all the stores in my town. Not a single PS2 around. The Gamestop wizards claim that the console is way too old and they haven't seen new ones in months because they stopped making them a long time ago...
I hate that place.

I think they stopped US shipments a while back. So whilst they didn't technically stop manufacturing them, it all amounts to the same thing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I still remember when I got my PS2 in 2001

Got it with FFX

Oh the memories of that system

Good Night Sweet Prince

Thanks for Socom & FFXI, true pinnacles of that system I adore to till this day

Fox Mulder

I hate that place.

They are drying up everywhere online though. Sonystyle is selling them for $149 and most places that still have them have jacked them up. I should have bought one at the Mart of Wal when it was $99 as a spare just to have.

I want one again, but it looks like I'll have to go to craigslist and hope for a good deal on non shitty used ones. I should have grabbed a brand new slim when I had a chance.

Yep. Mine was $499 and came with Gran Turismo 3. I purchased it on Final Fantasy X's launch day, and promptly purchased Metal Gear Solid 2. That was an awesome winter.

Just checked. The PS2 was MSRP $459.99 at launch in Canada. October 26th, 2000. It was $299 in the states.

Insane.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Got a PS2 at launch October 26, 2000..Got on a bus after school (8th grade) Got SSX and my first DVD Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz with it good times.
Looking back I enjoyed the PS1, XBOX and the PS3 a lot more but the PS2 was an awesome system. Never will there be another like it.

brumx

PS2 should of been delayed a couple months and we could of gotten a better graphics chip things would of been alot different even today.

The Canadian dollar was only worth about 2/3 of a US dollar at that time, so that's actually not bad.

It seemed like a lot on a Blockbuster employee's pay.

I was actually responsible for opening up the boxes for the rental units at work. We received around 14 of them about two weeks before launch. I didn't play them but I did run my hands all over them thinking about the fun we would have in just a few weeks.

It was an intimate moment.

Top Bottom