• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 ending production in Japan

Vashetti

Banned
You can still buy tons of classic psx and ps2 games on the PS3 store (I'm sure the clock is already ticking on that). Im gonna try to enjoy as much as I can.

As I wondered above, what is the hypothetical timeline on PS3 PSN servers shutting down?

PSNow runs on native PS3 hardware, and all the online MP games on that service are still using the PS3 PSN infrastructure.

So can we assume it will continue indefinitely?

How do they even manufacture the custom parts these days? Do these factories specifically built for CELL now shut down? (Basing this on my memory that places were built for CELL and PS3)

CSX

MY first gen 60gb PS3 still running strong. Just had to clean the dust a couple weeks back cuz the fans were just blasting nonstop even when it's not running a game.

Still occasionally playing it due to PSN sales and picking up old games dirt cheap. Plus I have it connected to my 2nd monitor so it's very convenient to turn on and start playing when im on the desktop

How do they even manufacture the custom parts these days? Do these factories specifically built for CELL now shut down? (Basing this on my memory that places were built for CELL and PS3)

you can store the custom parts and use them.
but i don't have details into the ps3 supply chain.
and yes, those places are shut down and used for other stuff

Is there any possibility of ps5 having ps3 compatibility or should i buy another ps3 for posterity?

about 0.0000000000000000000001% chance
maybe

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
RIP, you were hard as fuck to develope for and most likely the reason there is no backwards compat on ps4. But you were one hell of a system that had some great games and started one of my fav IP's The Last of us

Yu Furealdo

I still play BO2 on mine regularly and just started the DMC series earlier this week. One of my favorite consoles ever.

asagami_

Banned
This. They won't let this stop them from re-using assets and low budgets -_-

I can't talk about Namco, but I don't think Atlus will develop a PS3 game in the future.
They will re-use a lot of assets from Persona 5, but that was expected.

btw, fantastic console, I bought my first PS3 recently and I'm enjoying a lot (and it's nice to use Netflix outside a Wii :p)

Sad day :(. Love the PS3. So many exclusives, let alone the multiplats from a really strong generation, and it's so versatile as a media player and general entertainment system. Mine's literally playing a DVD in the living room right now lol.

I still have loads of PS3 titles left to play.

I hope it doesn't die on me. Or that they kill the servers.

Same here. It's going to be sitting under the TV and providing hours of fun for a long time to come.

Temascos

Neo Member
The monster just kept going, 11 years is a long time in the games industry. Incredible turnaround in perception and support, I still remember those shaky few years where it felt like Sony was gonna quit the games industry (I paid too much stock in over-dramatic GameFAQs posters).

I haven't moved on yet, I plan to keep playing mine until I play the games that never got much attention on release, like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Folklore. By the time I get to PS4 the feast will begin. :)

R.I.P. to the greatest emulator machine of all time.

NES
SNES
Genesis
GB/GBC/GBA
PC Engine
2D Arcade games
PS1
PS2
And modern PS3 games

Full speed and all built right into one launcher.

Compatible with a huge range of USB controllers like USB NES/SNES controllers.

Amazing.

Bulk_Rate

I shat upon it for a year or two in my 360 heyday before PS3 roared back and became my platform of choice for the gen. Still have it hooked up to a spare TV and I still buy digital titles for it. If it breaks I'll gladly buy another.

jbueno

Still keep a plugged PS3 Super Slim that I bought new in early 2015 when they were beginning to get scarce in stores over here in Mexico, haven't seen one in stock since then. I do occasionally see one or two 500 GB units in stock in some Texas Walmart stores when I visit, maybe I should get a backup.

Was mainly 360 last gen but damn I loved the PS3. Was a great console in its own right, and also my first blu-ray player. And my 80GB phat has been running strong since 2009.

Breakaway

Great system and the best from last gen. Started off slow but Sony really turned it around in just a few years. I've actually been playing my PS3 Slim more than my PS4 lately. Had it since New Year's 2010.

hemo memo

Gold Member
MGS_HD_02s.jpg

More like
BigBoss.jpg

More like

Is there any possibility of ps5 having ps3 compatibility or should i buy another ps3 for posterity?

It's not impossible, but by then emulation might be more practical when you consider stores likely wouldn't be stocking PS3 software, so there wouldn't be a lot of incentive beyond doing it as a goodwill gesture.

PS2 and PS3 launches still had lots of their respective prior gen's titles selling incredibly well, so it made much more sense in that regard, and one could certainly argue they botched that aspect with PS4.

psyfi

Banned
I never got one because of how terrible the DS3 was, but it had a ton of games I wanted to play, and I did end up borrowing one from my friend for the TLOU. That's the only PS3 game I ever beat. I love my PS4 though, and I'd love to see it have as long a life.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So those is it? The end of life for it in the US too?

Regardless, one hell of a turn around it had.

13ruce

Banned
Way sooner than ps2 strange.. ... They better keep online up for the next 20 years well downloading digital games and dlc atleast.

MCD250

The worst PlayStation. And the best. Lots of treasured memories attached to mine. It was an unwieldy beast of a console, and the one that got me back into gaming after a four year hiatus, as well. I loved it.

Vashetti

Banned
Way sooner than ps2 strange.. ... They better keep online up for the next 20 years well downloading digital games and dlc atleast.

PS2 continued trucking and sold many more millions after PS3 launched.

PS3 sales utterly collapsed when the PS4 released.

I guess that means production has unofficially ended, they've not been shipping any units to the West since the Destiny bundle and remaining units in the UK got recalled a while ago. I'm still not quite sure I understand why Sony didn't get a model of the PS3 to the £99 price point for families like they did with the PS2 and PS1, but maybe there was just too much tech inside there to do that.

I probably should have scooped up a couple more discounted units last Xmas when I had the chance since my old slim is on its last legs, but I've got a white super slim in storage just in case.

PS3 is awesome. Mine is still plugged in, and I still play it regularly.

I mean, it's the console that gave us Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. Those games alone were more than worth having a PS3 for.

Top Bottom