• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5's social features need a lot of work

ManaByte

We've had both consoles for a month now, and I've put hours upon hours into both. I've platinumed Astro's, 100%ed Miles, played some BC on PS5 (Ghosts is jaw-dropping at 60fps), and have been playing stuff like AC: Valhalla, CoD, Immortals, and BC stuff (Forza/Gears) on the Series X. Out of the two of them the Series X has vastly better community/social integration (due to just continuing what the Xbox One had at the end of the generation).

The PS5's "We Believe in Generations*" means they basically reset everything in the OS and the social/community features are non-existent outside of friends lists and parties:

• Communities are gone. Xbox still has both unofficial and official clubs. Clubs for each game, and then clubs people can create. When Sony axed the communities phone app a while ago, the writing was a on the wall that they were going to remove these with PS5. They need to come back, I've found a ton of players for MP on Xbox just by being in a big club.
  • Looking for group. This is something Sony never had, but it's something they should add if they ever put back communities. People can flag themselves as looking for players in any MP game, and then people can find each other via this.
  • Sharing is bare-bones. On the PS5 when you share a screen capture or video it's stored on your system's HDD, and then you can basically share it to YouTube or Twitter. That's it. MS uploads all screenshots and videos to the cloud, and then you can share them externally (like to Twitter), your activity feed, a club, or even export the videos and photos to OneDrive to download them. Sony made a big deal a while ago about using MS's Azure cloud, they need to actually apply that and use it with PSN.
All of this is fixable and hopefully Sony will start to return some features the PS4 had alongside their stability updates.

Moogle11

Banned
Only thing I really care about is going back to the old party systems. The new groups thing introduced a bit ago on PS4 and on PS5 at launch sucks if you play with multiple combinations of friends. None of us use the messaging crap anyway, so I'd rather that kept separate and just let us make new parties as needed instead of a having a cluttered list of them.

LFG could be cool, but I've pretty much quit gaming with randos so not something I'd need. Same with sharing, should be more robust for those who use it, but I've never sent anyone a screen shot or video personally so moot for me.

It seems like another aspect of the UI that took a step back (along with losing folders and direct save downloads/uploads in game menus).

I do miss the social updates from all my friends' activities too. Wonder when they will add all these things back in. There's basically no social aspect of the OS right now.

Last edited:

ManaByte

LFG could be cool, but I've pretty much quit gaming with randos so not something I'd need. Same with sharing, should be more robust for those who use it, but I've never sent anyone a screen shot or video personally so moot for me.

LFG is good for filling out a group. Like say you like playing trios in Warzone and one friend can't make it. You can use LFG to find someone other than relying on the game's matchmaking.

Moogle11

Banned
LFG is good for filling out a group. Like say you like playing trios in Warzone and one friend can't make it. You can use LFG to find someone other than relying on the game's matchmaking.

Oh I know. I'd have definitely used it back when I was playing Destiny and trying to do some Raids and hassling with LFG sites. I've just quit playing those kind of games, or at least only doing content I can do with my real life friends, so it's not something I'd make use of now. It should be added for those who need it for sure, and to have feature parity with Xbox which has LFG built in.

Top Bottom