• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needs at least 40 to appease all the types of fans..unlocks maybe.. 24 leaves massive room for "i am disappoint".

The first Smash only had twelve characters. Melee only had 25. First edition of other fighting games have between 8 and 12 characters. If we get two dozen I'd be pretty happy. I doubt Sony wants to blow everything on the first edition of this game. Leaving characters out will make the inevitable sequel on PS4 more appealing.

zroid

Banned
It also seems like an interesting way to combat that age old Smash free-for-all tradition of running away and letting the other guys duke it out, then jumping in at the last minute to take the kills. If you're not in there, racking up hits, you don't have the ability to get a kill. And if Player 1 and Player 2 build up their meters to level 3, Player 3 is every bit as vulnerable to those level 3 attacks as the players who have actually been giving and taking the damage.

This is a good point, hadn't really thought of it. One problem it generates however is now it opens up the chance for, say, everyone to pound on a specific player (who is perhaps less skilled), and then still score KO's against anyone they choose. Screws up the balance a little.

zoukka

The first Smash only had twelve characters. Melee only had 25. First edition of other fighting games have between 8 and 12 characters. If we get two dozen I'd be pretty happy. I doubt Sony wants to blow everything on the first edition of this game. Leaving characters out will make the inevitable sequel on PS4 more appealing.

Come on son. The additional characters come out as paid DLC.

I think people are referring to 1st party characters, where they are quite correct.

I think Ratchet & Clank are the closest Sony has to iconic characters. I heard my friends kid talk about them a while back too.

Well that's obvious, but that's because they don't rely on making a million games with the same characters for every console like Nintendo does. But there are plenty of 3rd party iconic characters they could and will most likely use.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
How well would this game sell? Sounds like easy money for Sony but I'm glad they're actually putting a talented team behind it. I don't mind the fact that it's modeled after SSB considering there are shittier fighting games they could've been influenced by.

Holy shit at the bannings. Deserved. Incoming YouTube rap video about NeoGAF being biased towards Sony?

Jangocube

Banned
Cool that Sony is finally getting a game like Smash Brothers.

Thought it would be um, more original I guess. Physics, interface, everything looks exactly the same.

Just noticed you can use weapons from other games, like Sly using the God of Wars Spear of Destiny. That's was pretty cool.

Cool that Sony is finally getting a game like Smash Brothers.

Thought it would be um, more original I guess. Physics, interface, everything looks exactly the same.

Gameplay isn't though. According to GT hands on it players very differently apparently.

The Hermit

All that it needs is Vita confirmation.

Cross Play.

Shared DLC.

PS3 $40
Vita $30

SEN special $60 for both.

So perfect.

this game screams for a Vita crossplay. Hell, even Nintendo is doing that in the next Smash Bros.
btw, are we going to have "japan time" for this, or it still remains exclusive to Nintendo?

BHK3

Banned
I hoped they would do something with fat princess to at least make her not seem like a peach clone. I saw final smashes and I hope for her she becomes skinny and gets faster and stronger and stuff.

Cant wait for more stuff at E3.

prwxv3

I hoped they would do something with fat princess to at least make her not seem like a peach clone. I saw final smashes and I hope for her she becomes skinny and gets faster and stronger and stuff.

Cant wait for more stuff at E3.

She is no were near like a peach clone.

tusken77

I'm sure the developer is reading threads like this and scouting for feedback, so I'd definitely note the art-style as the biggest concern. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the way it looks -- I love the idea of the backgrounds -- but I agree that it all looks a bit too soft. I'm not an artist, but I wonder if giving everything some more pronounced shading and turning up the colours a bit would change things? I'm sure this is something that could be fixed before release.

Yep, Omar Kendall says in the PS Blog video that's he's reading message boards. "We're paying close attention to what the fans are asking for. I've had a lot of fun in the last couple of days reading the message boards and seeing all the speculation about characters that people would like to see. I will say a lot of the characters that people are talking about might show up in our game, so I think that's gonna be really exciting for players once that happens. It's really listening to the fans, finding out what makes the best fit for PlayStation All-Stars and celebrating this great history."

As for how the game looks, I don't think there's anything to be worried about. There's 6+ months before release and it's coming from a team that has God of War, UFC, Gears of War and Mortal Kombat on its collective CV.

Loudninja

Press Release:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, available for PlayStation 3 (PS3). Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is the ultimate four-player brawler, influenced by some of the greatest PlayStation themes and characters of all time. Spanning the entire PlayStation universe, players will select and control the likes of iconic characters such as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Sly Cooper among others. Additionally, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will include a line-up of special characters from some of the game industry’s top third party developers and publishers. With a host of playable characters, special attacks, themed stages, and mash up music, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale pits players in a deep fighting game that draws inspiration throughout the colorful PlayStation universe.

“PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale delivers a veritable encyclopedia of PlayStation’s rich gaming history,” said Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President of Marketing, SCEA. “This game is a celebration for fans of PlayStation and we are excited to deliver the most comprehensive brawler available.”

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

Environments and music are drawn from the rich and varied history of PlayStation titles, then thrown together in unique mash ups that showcase each property in a new setting. The mash up elements will introduce a secondary IP to an existing theme, allowing situations where characters and environments from completely different PlayStation IP can interact during a match. The in-game music, composed by John King of the Dust Brothers, will also stay true to the mash up theme by incorporating a mix of various IP soundtracks throughout.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has not yet been rated. For more information about the title, please visit www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com.
http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/04/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-bringing-the-pain-to-the-ps3/

I'm liking it the more I read the impressions. I will join the crowd of damn the game doesn't visually look good. Turn up the colors in the game or something. It just has this washed out look to it.

Also people are commenting on if the players are iconic enough... As if the 6 characters in it so far represent the ENTIRE cast of the full game. Wait until the full game comes out.

prwxv3

I'm liking it the more I read the impressions. I will join the crowd of damn the game doesn't visually look good. Turn up the colors in the game or something. It just has this washed out look to it.

Also people are commenting on if the players are iconic enough... As if the 6 characters in it so far represent the ENTIRE cast of the full game. Wait until the full game comes out.

It mostly comes down to personal preference. It is possible for someone to not like any of Nintendo's characters but like many of Sony's characters despite popular beliefe.

FinKL

Since this is also a hopes and dreams thread, I want:
The driver from Grand Turismo or Ridge Racer.
That rabbit from Jumping Flash
Gex
Crash
Spyro
The genie from Magic Carpet
The warrior from King's Field

oh yeah PS1 nostalgia

sajj316

this game screams for a Vita crossplay. Hell, even Nintendo is doing that in the next Smash Bros.
btw, are we going to have "japan time" for this, or it still remains exclusive to Nintendo?

I agree. This game as well as LBP Karting need to be on Vita with cross play.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I find it very interesting that Bluepoint Studios made a custom engine for this game. They seem to be beneath a lot of projects these days.

So I'm watching all the videos and... I don't know how to feel. It looks good overall, but I'm not sold on the whole super thing, or the no ring-outs/damage meters. The super moves just seem like you can guarantee yourself kills, even without a level three move. At least in smash you could completely whiff your smash moves and get nothing. I don't like how its "Here is your super move, one hit to anybody kills them" deal. And the no ring-outs bugs me, feels like it takes away some challenge. Also makes the stages seem worse just because they are all closed off (the ratchet/clank one and the god of war stage for example). Smash has nice open stages.

Idk, I guess I won't be able to really tell till I try it, but so far I'm remaining wary.

I feel the same way. I always wanted a game like this, but not having the "smash off the screen" element is disappointing. Not sure I like the super auto kill idea.

prwxv3

hopefully the costumes in the game are actual costumes and not just recolorings. I want dairy bastard for kratos. I also hope that there are no clones of characters like there are in smash bros.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Since this is also a hopes and dreams thread, I want:
Gex
If any Sony execs are lurking please please include the above.

Also I'm not even going to ask for Crash because they would be insane not to include him so I'm assuming he's already on the roster and has yet to be announced.

The Lamp

I think people are referring to 1st party characters, where they are quite correct.

I think Ratchet & Clank are the closest Sony has to iconic characters. I heard my friends kid talk about them a while back too.

If you don't know who Sweet Tooth or Kratos is, it's safe to say you don't know what a Playstation is lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
As far as 3rd party characters go, I would love to see:
Dante (classic)
Bayonetta
&Travis Touchdown
Do you think they'd include Dante when he's already in MvC? Not that they couldn't but...

I'd think they would want to include more original characters that we haven't seen in fighting games before tapping the old guard.

Which is why I also think Snake might be relegated to DLC.
If(When) we get Crash, may we get his Naughty Dog design?

kthx.

This.

MrPliskin

Banned
Actually, I want something original where they combine their characters. That would've been far more interesting to me. Ratchet, Crash, Sly, etc. They could've built a game that utilized all their franchises that wasn't a Brawl type game and built something cool. Instead they cloned something from Nintendo... AGAIN. It's just not interesting to me.

Sony needs to stop playing it so safe all the time. The reason Smash Bros. was so amazing was it was something completely out of left field but retained popular characters. It grew from there. I think Sony underestimates their ability to do something similar.

Did you miss when they tried this with PlayStation Move: Hero's? Or when they crammed in all those first party characters into LBP, MNR, or HotShots Golf?

Get over it, maybe? Seriously, the end result is fun, so who really cares what it does or doesn't copy? It's not like Sony hasn't delivered a shit load of new IP's both in retail and DD this generation. They've got more than enough room to copy and deliver some fun experiences.

People are too caught up in this industry shit, for once I wish they'd just give a fuck about the end result: fun.

My friend is going to crap his pants when I tell him that there's a game that let's Kratos, Sly Cooper, Radec, and the Fat Princess all kick each other's ass while Hades fights Patapons in the background.

Gameboy415

It looks/sounds great so far!

I hope they do something fun like the "Smash Bros. Dojo" to unveil characters/stages over the next few months!!

Looks pretty good. I think Sega should get Kiryu into this game for sure. No one of the initial 6 interests me so far, but if Sackboy's playable I'm sure I'd go for him.

Loudninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom