• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't recognize a single one of those characters.

Corto

I am a bit surprised that Sony is giving a first game studio a lot of pull making it their holiday 2012 bet. They will try to make this a series it seems. I'm pleased with the footage and the over the top details of the special moves and interactive background. I hope this ends up good and fun.

darkwing

In the GT video they do say that all of the Level 3's (except Parappa's) take an element of skill to wipeout all characters on screen. The guy that won the tournament with Parappa said that he actually won by doing two Level 2's and a Level 1 while everyone else was just trying to build to Level 3.

yes this is what I mean, do you do multiple Level 1/2 or go for the Level 3 to get more knockouts? it's like in basketball, a 3 point shot or lay-up?

Loudninja

I played with each of the reveal characters a few times to check out their move sets and supers. Each of the six are quite different from one another, with varied play styles that Smash Bros fans will probably feel right at home with. That said, Smash players should not expect an All-Stars character parallel. While this game looks similar, it feels much different.
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml

Can people stop with the bs now?

bakedpony

Parappa is going to piss a lot of people off. He seems like a massive troll character. He's able to drop his boombox which will release AP orbs to pick up. Other players can pick that up but if they get caught in the beats from the boombox it'll cause them to freeze. His Level 3 super is also the only one that is an instant kill on every character on screen no matter what.

The guys in the GT video said that the tournament that the final round of the tournament that took place there featured 3 Parappa's and 1 Kratos.

I gotta believe!

Lingitiz

I'm sure this game will be pretty cool and all, but holy shit its such a blatant carbon copy of Smash. Even in terms of the character movement and how the camera zooms out and stuff. It really looks like Smash in HD with different characters.

I bet playing as Kratos will be great though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 30k Wii within minutes of opening.
(Today, 07:56 AM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote

Withnail

Slightly OT, but did you guys see this in the Eurogamer preview?

"Put it this way: without Sony there would be no Journey. And there's another under-wraps oddity - to be revealed next week - which once again highlights the company's laudable support for new talent."

Wonder what that is?

darkwing

reposted

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml

- The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

nvm, probably lock, and I'll post this in the discussion thread

Ehhhhhhhhh, people are complaining about how it's a clone, but I don't think it's clone enough. There's an invisible wall on the outside of stages that's really throwing me off while watching :p. I really wish you could score by knocking people off screen as well. The edge guard part of SSB is one of the most fun parts of the fight, especially in FFA's.

Turlast

Banned
I think it looks cool. I've never been much of a Smash Bros player, so I was never familiar with the battle system all that much. This looks interesting enough. Can't wait till more info is released on it.

KingK

I think before people get too carried away completely dismissing the game as a blatant Smash ripoff, they should check out those Gametrailers First Take videos Solidsnakex posted. The guys there really go into detail about the mechanics, and directly compare and contrast it with Smash Bros.

Yes, it is heavily based on Smash, but there are also a lot of differentiated factors to it (especially just how you win/score points) to the point that the guys said they tried playing it like Smash at first, but you just can't do that because it plays too differently.

Good for you?

guek

Banned
I was waiting for this

What's funny though is you this kind of sniping in every thread, pretty much no matter what. Hyperbole thrown left and right from both "sides", condescension, outright contempt...the internet is a wonderful place.

They weren't allowed to record Parappa's level 3 because they're still trying to get the licensing issues out the way. But he apparently does a verse from "I Gotta Believe".

zroid

Banned
Ugh, can someone just direct me to towards the one best video for explaining the game's mechanics? am tired, don't want to watch all this crap!

A lot of my excitement for All Stars stems from just how 4th wall meta Sony is willing to go with this game. And it looks from the initial characters, crossover stages, and the producer's comments about fan feedback that we're gonna get something special.

CrisKre

Eww. I have little respect for such shameless ripoffs. SMH at people preaching is nothing like smash. Really? The physics and feel of the game look EXACTLY like it.

Mxrz

I'm sure this game will be pretty cool and all, but holy shit its such a blatant carbon copy of Smash. Even in terms of the character movement and how the camera zooms out and stuff. It really looks like Smash in HD with different characters.

I bet playing as Kratos will be great though.

Try watching the impression videos first, maybe.

Why did they have to pull the NDA at this freaking hour? Need to sleep.

Eww. I have little respect for such shameless ripoffs. SMH at people preaching is nothing like smash. Really? The physics and feel of the game look EXACTLY like it.

The people that have actually played it are saying that it's certainly inspired by Smash but it feels quite different.

Lingitiz

Try watching the impression videos first, maybe.

Why did they have to pull the NDA at this freaking hour? Need to sleep.

I did watch it. Like I said, it looks pretty cool and the changes to the formula sound interesting, but there's no denying that it looks so much like Smash.

so... when did Fat Princess become a Playstation iconic character?

Since when did Ike, Lucas, Marth, Ness, Olimar and of the various secondary characters from games or characters from old obscure games like ice climbers become iconic nintendo characters?

We may know them as hardcore fans on a internet forum but I wouldnt call them iconic. Yet they get put in cause contrary to popular belief, there are varying opinions on what characters are cool and even obscure stuff has a place.

For those of you interested, GameInformers has unedited b-roll type footage and it shows off pretty much everything mentioned in this thread.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Also items are confirmed. At around 12 seconds in the video you can see Fat Princess pick up and through a hedgehog grenade from Resistance. And around 1:45 you can see Sly Cooper using an RPG. And as mentioned, pick-ups don't gain you progress on your super bar but rather drain your opponents of theirs which can be recollected for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom