• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Tell me, in what fighting game is "playing defensively" by getting hit a lot and not getting many of your own hits in a viable strategy for winning?

typo? You're not describing defensive play at all. Do you know what zoning is?

edit:

Oh ok, I misread your post. Let me clarify that defensive players will mostly be at a disadvantage in matches with more than 2 people. In 1v1, ranged fighters might have a greater disadvantage but that is heavily dependent on zoning which we don't have any real idea about yet.

Loudninja

PaRappa the Rapper’s voice actor on board for PAS: Battle Royale
TGL can confirm that Dred Foxx, the voice of PaRappa the Rapper, has been signed up by SuperBot to reprise his role in Battle Royale. This is the first time in ten years that Dred will voice PaRappa, having not laid down a new rap for PaRappa since 2002′s PRTR2. TGL reached out to Dred on Facebook and he confirmed that he is involved in the project.
http://thegamingliberty.com/index.p...s-voice-actor-on-board-for-pas-battle-royale/

Tiamant

I've never played any Parappa game but only from a couple of youtube videos and PSABR gameplays I already like him. Is the PSP game any good?

Imm0rt4l

So both games suck! Boy howdy, I learned something today.

Defensive much? The very essence of the games is to deliberately bring together a bunch of characters that would otherwise not be in a game together in a free for all. Pump your breaks, son.

Sly also has the ability to steal AP orbs when he goes into his stealth mode. I think that he sounds like the most interesting character so far. It seems like he could be a monster if you really learn how to take advantage of all of his abilities.
Sly definitely sounds like one of the more skill characters. Someone who at first won't give you much of reward but if you can master him you'll be really competitive.

Here is where I get that "resource managment" part that a lot of people are talking about. You are going to need to be careful of the super status of your adversaries all the time and act acording to that. For example, Parapa level 3 super kills everyone and on top of that he has a move to produce AP orbs. So, if you let him get to lvl 3 super you are basically letting yourself die. Its impossible to lower his health, but you can lower his super meter (by items or moves) and you should (also, I think in one video someone said that using only lvl 2 and 1 supers with Parapa was more efficient and granted he a win). You are going to need to engage on the people who are building their meters fast to prevent an adverse result.

(sorry for the crappy english)

I really like the way this is sounding when you mention the thought of keeping track of other players' supers. If you were playing SSB with the rules set simply so that the winner is the last man standing, you'd only really need to concern yourself with protecting yourself. Where as in All-Stars under the same winning conditions you'd have to keep track of other players as well and target specific people to drain their specials. I can already imagine Parappa combined with his meter-filling move and his "unbeatable" level 3 special . . . like you said if you leave him alone you are killing yourself, so Parappa will be a fun twist in that if anyone chooses him it's an invitation to get ganged up on by every other player.

Also your english is rock solid, better than a lot of people here with english as their native language.

KevinCow

Banned
typo? You're not describing defensive play at all. Do you know what zoning is?

I'm just going by what you guys are saying.

"But you can't play defensively because then he'll build his meter and get his level 3 and win!"

If you're zoning properly, then you're still getting that damage in and building your meter, and they aren't getting in, hitting you, and building their meter.

If the other guy is building his meter and you aren't, it's the exact same situation as having less health than your opponent in a regular fighting game: it's because the other guy was playing better than you.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Am I the only that thinks this game looks pretty good graphically? Its nothing special, but it is very solid.
I think it looks ok, when I saw the character models up close in the fight intros I was very impressed. The stages seem a bit drab to me but that can always be worked on.

The marketing of Sony's characters is working before the game even comes out!
Haha, that's great. I must admit after seeing this, if Parappa was on the PlayStation Store I'd be very tempted to download it. Never did buy a Parappa game back in the day (shame on me) but I remember seeing it some demo disc and really having a blast. Still a bit of nostalgic for me, though not as much as others.

Also after seeing Radec I started a new runthrough of Killzone 2 (Visari's intro speech is still amazing!) and if I didn't already own the Jak & Daxter HD Collection I would now. I really love how they have the bastard fish in the water that will KO you if you don't get back on the stage in time. Little details are win.

guek

Banned
I'm just going by what you guys are saying.

"But you can't play defensively because then he'll build his meter and get his level 3 and win!"

If you're zoning properly, then you're still getting that damage in and building your meter, and they aren't getting in, hitting you, and building their meter.

If the other guy is building his meter and you aren't, it's the exact same situation as having less health than your opponent in a regular fighting game: it's because the other guy was playing better than you.

Yeah look up to my edit. In 1v1, this is true, with 3 players or more, things change.

I'm kinda pumped about this game. Smash Bros was one of my biggest disappointments this gen because of the broken online, so I kinda want a game similar to it but with a decent online.

I do have to say, the cast is not nearly as attractive, though. Playing with Kratos? Blargh...

guek

Banned

I guess I should address this too. The difference is that when your health is lower, your competitive ability to score a KO doesn't change in a traditional fighter. In this game, your ability to score drops the farther your meter drops behind.

edit: To be as clear as possible, what I'm worried about is that comebacks will be more difficult than in most fighters and that defensive play styles in group matches will be discouraged.

Am I the only that thinks this game looks pretty good graphically? Its nothing special, but it is very solid.

I think it looks fantastic, graphically.

The animation looks simply superb, and the levels have a lot of activity going on in the background. It's a very 'lively' looking game.

In terms of 3rd party characters in this I can see:

Cloud / Sephiroth / Lara Croft
Crash / Spyro /Spider-Man
Snake / Raiden
Dante / Ryu / Jill Valentine / Samanosuke
Altair or Ezio
Kazuma
Characters from Tekken / Soul Calibur / Mortal Kombat

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
PaRappa the Rapper’s voice actor on board for PAS: Battle Royale

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.p...s-voice-actor-on-board-for-pas-battle-royale/

stanley_nod.gif

If Lammy gets into the game, Superbot better get Sara Ramírez, too. (Yeah, that woman from Grey's Anatomy. She voiced her.)

guek

Banned
In terms of 3rd party characters in this I can see:

Cloud / Sephiroth / Lara Croft
Crash / Spyro /Spider-Man
Snake / Raiden
Dante / Ryu / Jill Valentine / Samanosuke
Altair or Ezio
Kazuma
Characters from Tekken / Soul Calibur / Mortal Kombat

??

and don't forget the prince!

Kurod

Banned
I hope to see at least something from the War of the Monsters series. Even something as simple as a stage mashup utilizing the UFO/tsunami hazard from Tsunopolis. Anything to show that Sony hasn't completely forgotten this game.

Ploid 3.0

I hope to see at least something from the War of the Monsters series. Even something as simple as a stage mashup utilizing the UFO/tsunami hazard from Tsunopolis. Anything to show that Sony hasn't completely forgotten this game.

I doubt a Sony game will touch a natural disaster again after the Motorstorm Apocalypse thing. Best to not even feature it than to have something happen right as the game is launching.

hell yes, the backdrop could be 2 giant monsters/robot fighting. or maybe WoM robot fighting that giant godzila sized monster from inFamous 2

Loudninja

The last control, assigned to R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters. Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

This brings us to All-Stars' battle system and scoring. Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it. So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run. This makes for a game that's really easy to get into, as there's no technical scoring to
http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml

You have to keep from getting KO to often to win.

KingK

These pics are better, I like the hazy lighting.
Ew, no. I don't think the game looks too bad, but they need to get rid of that Vaseline filter and make it look sharper and clearer.

That's like saying that nothing matters in a normal fighting game until someone is down to 10% health.

In this game, building meter is reducing health.

In other games, if your opponent slips up and you get in a few hits, the battle is more tense because they have less health. In this game, if your opponent slips up and you get in a few hits, the battle is more tense because you now have a killing move.

You know the tension in another fighting game when someone has a full super bar? The player with the super is tense because he wants to use it but doesn't want to miss and waste it, the other player is tense because he knows that super's gonna fuck him up if it connects. It seems like that's the whole point of this game.

Punch dudes -> Lower health -> KO -> rinse & repeat. That's every other fighting game ever.

Yes. The player who is getting more hits in is at an advantage. That's how fighting games work. If you're playing defensively and the other guy is hitting you more than you're hitting him, then you're not doing a good job at playing defensively, are you?

Whittling your opponent down = whittling your meter up. It's the same thing, as far as this game is concerned.

Imagine if they flipped it around to the standard health bar. When someone gets down to 66% of their health, you can do a level 1 super on them. When they get to 33%, you can do a level 2. When they're empty, you can do a level 3. You can whittle their health down, but you have to finish with a super. As far as a 1v1 is concerned, this would play identically to what we have now.

I had the same immediate negative reaction when they first mentioned this system. But the more I think about it, the more I find it to be one of the most intriguing things about this game. It might work out, it might not, but either way, I think it'll be very interesting to see in practice.

I understand what you're saying, and I understand how it could work in practice, but here's my major concern even after this:

In Smash Bros, my friends and I all hate the idea of one hit KO stuff, so we always turn off Smash Balls, that 4 part weapon thing, and any other OHKO items.
This game is based entirely on OHKOs.

Now, as you said, the system can work in a way, but where it all breaks down to me is that I could have barely gotten hit for an entire match, while someone else filled up their bar by beating on another guy and uses that Super to KO me, even though I've barely been touched, while the guy who got beat to hell and back may come out of it all unscathed. I can see this getting extremely frustrating to me.

monocromo

I really like the way this is sounding when you mention the thought of keeping track of other players' supers. If you were playing SSB with the rules set simply so that the winner is the last man standing, you'd only really need to concern yourself with protecting yourself. Where as in All-Stars under the same winning conditions you'd have to keep track of other players as well and target specific people to drain their specials. I can already imagine Parappa combined with his meter-filling move and his "unbeatable" level 3 special . . . like you said if you leave him alone you are killing yourself, so Parappa will be a fun twist in that if anyone chooses him it's an invitation to get ganged up on by every other player.

Parrapa also has a stunt move. A guy from ign mentioned that his AP generating move and the stunt one could be useful as a trap.

I think the game is going to favor an aggresive attitude, but you are going to have the chance to play in other ways. At least for now the options for filling you super bar are: by AP generating moves (free AP but can be taken by another players), attacking moves and landing them (gaining AP while preventing the other from getting it) and stealing AP from others (gaining AP AND draining from your oponents meter but also can be collected by others). Ap/sec is going to be a useful measure when talking about this game :p. Building your meter fast(er) and capitalizing on it efficiently is how I think that players tiers are going to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom