• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zen is binary compatible with Jaguar, just faster which like the Jaguar up clock changes the timings anyways, and also as you noted the games do actually receive a Neo patch hence a new binary (which could even allow a change in ISA).

Some people oversold you the drastic reset to zero scenarios with CPU changes... Apple changed CPU arch four times in the iPhone line (armv6 to armv7 to armv7s to arm64) as well as going from single to multi core and they changed macOS from PPC to x86 to x86-64 or x64... magic of universal/fat binaries and some emulation (necessary with the PPC MacOS9 to to x86 MacOS X transition).
I hope you're right, man. Zen is a must in a $499 console.

wapplew

Stop tempering expectations, it won't help, meltdown is inevitable, concern troll will be there regardless, this is NeoGaf.

c0de

Zen is binary compatible with Jaguar, just faster which like the Jaguar up clock changes the timings anyways, and also as you noted the games do actually receive a Neo patch hence a new binary (which could even allow a change in ISA).

Some people oversold you the drastic reset to zero scenarios with CPU changes... Apple changed CPU arch four times in the iPhone line (armv6 to armv7 to armv7s to arm64) as well as going from single to multi core and they changed macOS from PPC to x86 to x86-64 or x64... magic of universal/fat binaries and some emulation (necessary with the PPC MacOS9 to to x86 MacOS X transition).

Osx was also on ppc. 10.5 was the last osx for ppc and then Apple decided to use Rosetta which was an awesome tech.

Slaythe

I think people are going to be very disappointed by the pricing. It will have the dev kit leaked specs and will cost $449 or 499. They can charge that much because it will still sell out in November/December as the high end parts will likely be supply constrained. And to achieve the 20 million (or whatever it was) projected sales, they can sell the slim at $250-279 (more likely 279) price range to get more mass market penetration. The Neo price will then probably drop to $399 as part of an E3 announcement or if the sales drop too drastically after Christmas they can drop the price earlier and offer some crap free game as compensation for early adopters.

Lmfao.

So you think they're gonna do a 100 dollars price cut on the ps4 (currently 349) but a 499 seems normal to you.

Right.

It seems that many people care for specs and power than many other people think.

I'm not suggesting people don't care about specs.

But some of it just comes off as crazed tail chasing.

"Why yes, I'd like Scorpio like specs a year earlier."

I care about specs too. But 4.2 TF sounds like a plenty enough sizable upgrade for a mid gen revision that's going to always be limited by the PS4 anyways.

This isn't Scorpio. Sony isn't concerned about their console future.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
People forget that 1.8 TF vs 4.2/4.5 TF already is a lot of power. Sony has the studio's to make amazing looking games with this hardware.

orochi91

People forget that 1.8 TF vs 4.2/4.5 TF already is a lot of power. Sony has the studio's to make amazing looking games with this hardware.
+1

1st-party PS4 games will look stunning, along with the occasional 3rd-party exclusive.

Multiplat games will receive a decent bump as well; ~4.2TF is ample.

Frostman

:D

I have my snarky comments ready for 7 September.

I'm not trying to dig at people. But a minority set their expectations high, and then complain when they are not met. I just think people should start tempering them slightly, rather than getting disappointed.

I could of course be wrong, and I would be happy to be wrong. I just don't think it's realistic.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This^
Scorpio announcement ruined people's perceptions about Neo spec upgrade.

In my opinion, Microsoft can't deliver the same quality games Sony can. Other then Halo, Gears en Forza....there isn't really something special. Also those games i mention aren't that special anymore..not even graphically.

c0de

I'm not suggesting people don't care about specs.

But some of it just comes off as crazed tail chasing.

"Why yes, I'd like Scorpio like specs a year earlier."

I care about specs too. But 4.2 TF sounds like a plenty enough sizable upgrade for a mid gen revision that's going to always be limited by the PS4 anyways.

This isn't Scorpio. Sony isn't concerned about their console future.

This thread is not about Sony, though. They don't even need the Neo, they already won. By far.
And Scorpio is also not an answer to Neo.
Some just hope they won't have the less capable console in a year but it will happen.
In no way will Neo be able to have the same power as Scorpio, at least with the given circumstances, and that's totally fine because this is how tech evolves and works.

iMax

In my opinion, Microsoft can't deliver the same quality games Sony can. Other then Halo, Gears en Forza....there isn't really something special. Also those games i mention aren't that special anymore..even not graphically.

That's one thing that really disappoints me. I've yet to see a really narratively striking game on Xbox, in the realm of an Uncharted or a Last of Us. That's what it needs most in its portfolio right now.

That's one thing that really disappoints me. I've yet to see a really narratively striking game on Xbox, in the realm of an Uncharted or a Last of Us. That's what it needs most in its portfolio right now.

Microsoft doesn't seem interested in building a studio like Naughty Dog. Lord knows they've had plenty of time to do so.

wapplew

In my opinion, Microsoft can't deliver the same quality games Sony can. Other then Halo, Gears en Forza....there isn't really something special. Also those games i mention aren't that special anymore..even not graphically.

Let's take MS/Xbox/Scorpio out of the discussion. This ain't no console war, this is civil war!
War between upgraded spec or leak spec, 399 or 499, can 60fps or not, 2016 or 2017, hype or keep expectation check, red dead 2 or not, gen or no gen.

Mung

This thread is not about Sony, though. They don't even need the Neo, they already won. By far.
Some just hope they won't have the less capable console in a year but it will happen.
In no way will Neo be able to have the same power as Scorpio, at least with the given circumstances, and that's totally fine because this is how tech evolves and works.

Of course Sony will have a less capable console than Scopio. It's coming out a year or potentially more earlier. No getting around that. In fact, it was clever strategy for MS to put that figure out there as that's the only reason people would be disappointed with the Neo specs. However, Sony have many advantages over MS regardless of the reduced power, including a year head start and probably the price, that the XBO never had. In addition, as an 'upgraded' ps4 rather than a new console, many of the risks are mitigated.

Rolf NB

Let's take MS/Xbox/Scorpio out of the discussion. This ain't no console war, this is civil war!
War between upgraded spec or leak spec, 399 or 499, can 60fps or not, 2016 or 2017, hype or keep expectation check, red dead 2 or not, gen or no gen.
We wouldn't even be talking about "upgraded spec" and other related stuff if it weren't for the Scorpio preannouncement thing. The only purpose of that AFAICT was to make people less interested to buy things now.

Original leak spec, 399$, 2016.

I'm not trying to dig at people. But a minority set their expectations high, and then complain when they are not met. I just think people should start tempering them slightly, rather than getting disappointed.

I could of course be wrong, and I would be happy to be wrong. I just don't think it's realistic.

The best part is that that minority is the loudest and have the most dramatic and irrational reactions.

Predictions:

Leaked specs - 399$
Improved specs - 499€ (improved CPU and GPU)

I don't believe in smal bumps.. if they go for a improved specs it must be something they got already worked on as an option along the leaked specs one.

Release date - September/October

I'm not really sure what we are talking about anymore.

My initial comment was that people expecting above 4.2 TF in 2016 are likely preparing themselves for disappointment.

Especially given the way Neo was leaked, those specs seem super likely to happen.

The Scorpio comparison was because it's 6TF announcement has sent people in a tizzy where the 4.2 TF power point, which is already a huge upgrade over the OG PS4, is seen as a dissapoitment.

Which is a bit misplaced since: 1) one comes out a year earlier and 2) they both serve different functions.

un1que

I think they were going to show it at e3, caught wind of the Scorpio specs and then pulled it at the last minute to make it more beefier and competitive.
Surely sony realise that one of their biggest gains was because the ps4 is more powerful and want to keep that going.

At least that's what I HOPE has happened.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. A new binary for Neo, as of the leaked Dec presentation there was to be a single CPU binary for both Neo and standard PS4. Distinct ones for GPU.

Unless someone has solid info on a change of plans, all signs point to the improved Jaguar.

Tarnpanzer

I really don´t care that much about the specs.

All I care about is a release this year, and that I can play BF1 @1080p with mostly 60fps in Conquest-mode with Neo.

The only real dealbreaker would be a 2017 release...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they were going to show it at e3, caught wind of the Scorpio specs and then pulled it at the last minute to make it more beefier and competitive.
Surely sony realise that one of their biggest gains was because the ps4 is more powerful and want to keep that going.

Whatever the spec, their platform will be underpinned by the two most powerful consoles on the market for at least a year from Neo's launch.

Sony's never let looming more powerful *future* competitors distract them or distract them from marketing the power of their systems.

Now if the spec is better again than last we heard, that's great. But we can't reasonably expect it to be near or over a machine coming 12 months later that also has power as a priority. Sony will have to live with a clear run of 12 months through one of the highest volume phases of a generational cycle with 2 most powerful options ;) And then adjust their value positioning as and if necessary thereafter.

It didn't because power was a small factor in PS4s success.

Philippo

But why the need for more power than what already leaked?
This is coming one whole year before Scorpio, so no matter what it specs are going to be better no matter what Sony does.
In exchange it's already a substantial leap from standard PS4 (just you wait for 1st party games) and it has a big time advantage to estabilish itself as the most powerful console and gain foot in buyers minds.

I actually hope a bump as a reaction is not a thing, especially if it ends up rising the price.

wapplew

I'm not really sure what we are talking about anymore.

My initial comment was that people expecting above 4.2 TF in 2016 are likely preparing themselves for disappointment.

Especially given the way Neo was leaked, those specs seem super likely to happen.

The Scorpio comparison was because it's 6TF announcement has sent people in a tizzy where the 4.2 TF power point, which is already a huge upgrade over the OG PS4, is seen as a dissapoitment.

Which is a bit misplaced since: 1) one comes out a year earlier and 2) they both serve different functions.

Which is why I say that was a clever announcement, it alter the expectation.
See how many people in this thread said 4.2TF have to be no more than $399 or PS4 Slim have to be $299 or lower because it doesn't have 4K HRD Bluray.
4.2TF was very powerful according to first leak thread, before we know about Scorpio, some reactions was too powerful, now it will be a disappointment.

Theman2k

I'm glued to this thread.
I like the predictions people write too.

Once I get back home from work I'll write down my own.

I do feel Microsoft's 6TF figure changed my perspective too, But I do know that the Neo will be a capable console and the leaked specs are good too and I'm sure they will wow people in the conference.

Microsoft doesn't seem interested in building a studio like Naughty Dog. Lord knows they've had plenty of time to do so.

It's a lot easier to say that than do it though. How many developers are there in the industry? And how many are of Naughty Dog's calibre? It took Naughty Dog a long time to get to where they are now and they've made some missteps along the way (hi Jak 2), they just ended up bringing together the right management and right talent to build themselves up into what they are now, as well as the creative freedom from Sony. Personally, I'm not sure Microsoft even put their studios in positions to "become" Naughty Dog's, let alone have the management/talent to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom