• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

ShogunX

MrPliskin said:
I'd rather pay for real content than real features that should be free since they are all Peer 2 Peer.

Of course they should be free i'm not going to disagree on that point at all. My point is I expected Sony to introduce a few of the features found on Live for FREE on the PSN to basically expose Live and its fee's.

These features you speak of aren't even that great anyway and similar things can be found on Live with the trials and patch updating. I really expected the PSN to come out of E3 looking a hell of a lot more robust and attractive. Then again I expected some decent updates for Live and they never arrived either!

E3 this year has been shit.

MechDX said:
Seems to me that Sony see's the revenue MS generates from LIVE and wants to copy but at the same time doesnt want to upset its userbase. Somewhere down the line both Sony and Nintendo will copy MS and charge for full online play.
Easiest way to do this imho is to charge only for dedicated servers, with universal cross-game stats tracking and clan support. It would also be nice if the subscription fee guaranteed that certain multiplayer game servers would not be taken offline.

So, online would be free, but would move to a peer to peer model. It'd still piss people off, but it might also lead to better online experiences for those who invest.

eznark

Banned
I like it, personally. I will likely subscribe. Acts pretty much like any other content sub service. Glad they didn't include actual functionality in the premium service.

I can't see how anyone could actually be pissed about this, it's not like they took anything away from you and it is totally optional.

Four years after launch the PS3 still hasn't catched up to the Xbox 360 in terms of (social) features.

These cross-game invitations and joining your friends through the XMB that Sony has been working on - and work great in Modern Warfare 2, by the way - are very cool... but the developers are too lazy to actually use them in their games.

What the PSN needs is CONSISTENCY. Inviting friends and joining them should work the same in EVERY game. Currently, Modern Warfare 2 is the ONLY game that supports it. They should step up their game and make these things mandatory for ALL future games.

Once they do this and add cross-game voice/partychat, THEN I'll think about paying for PSN Plus.

Yeef

Meus Renaissance said:
2. Or what is more likely, the current release schedule of betas and demos will be for PSN subscribers and hence those not paying will have the demos delayed, just like how it is for Silver members on Xbox Live. That seems fair enough but unlike Silver members, PS3 owners are losing out on something they've had for years to justify this premium service.
Silver members originally got demos the same time as gold members. Then Microsoft decided that rather than adding features to gold membership they'd just gimp silver instead.

Stumpokapow said:
The big thing is that most people who pay for XBL are paying to play online. The little goodies are great, they help people resubscribe, they probably lower the threshold for subscription, but the main driver remains online play.

I already have online play on the PS3, so this doesn't add as much value.
Me neither, not buying ever. No cross-game chat?

george_us

Yeah none of this is appealing enough to drop $50 a year on this. Had they kept the Cloud storage from the leaked document then I would have given a little more thought to it.

Where's all the cool shit? Where's the token wagering and stuff? That stuff appealed to me way more than this, at least that let's you interact with the network in a way live doesnt.

Bizzyb

Banned
micromagic said:
More details up on SCEE blog. Will get this for full game trial alone.

Just set the time you want to receive them and your PS3 will automatically wake up and download everything, ready for when you next want to play. No more waiting to play your favourite game because there is a new patch or having to remember when the latest system software is launching, let your PS3 do the work.

Whatever happened to putting the damn disc in and playing it right then and there, huh?

TTP said:
That's the only un-translated line. It's definitely looking like something that was pulled at the last moment as other languages don't show that feature at all.

Perhaps they changed their minds and are about to add it for free with the next fw update?

Yeah, perhaps...

From what I understand, the feature will be available to ALL users, but only PSN Plus-members will be able to 'start' the voicechat. Receiving and accept voicechats will be free for everyone, even non-Plus users.

Well, if they haven't decided to make it free for everyone that is... :lol
But I don't think they have. It's probably just delayed again. ='(

yep, and...
http://de.playstation.com/playstationplus/

Wenn du dich noch heute für PlayStation Plus registrierst, kannst du das Optimum aus deinem PlayStation 3-System herausholen: Es warten zahlreiche Premium- und Exklusiv-Features wie Spiele und Inhalte im Gesamtwert von mindestens 200 EUR* pro Jahr sowie PSN-Funktionen speziell für Mitglieder auf dich.

Spiele: Hol dir unzählige PlayStation Network-Spiele, minis und PS one-Klassiker sowie Premium-Avatare und dynamische Designs im Gesamtwert von mindestens 200 EUR* pro Jahr. Du kommst außerdem im PlayStation Store in den Genuss exklusiver, besonders günstiger Preise und erhältst die Chance, schon früh auf Demos und Betatestversionen zuzugreifen. Das Angebot im PlayStation Store wird monatlich aktualisiert, sodass es immer etwas Neues zu entdecken gibt.

Test-Vollversionen: Probier vor dem Kauf einstündige Testversionen von ausgewählten PlayStation Network-Titeln und Blu-ray Disc-Veröffentlichungen aus.

Cross-game Voice Chat: invite your friends to chat online no matter what game you're all playing, even if they aren't members of PlayStation Plus.
Automatische Downloads: Erhalte, ohne einen Finger zu rühren, aktuelle PS3-System-Software, Spiele-Updates und sogar Spiele-Demos.
*Der ungefähre Wert richtet sich nach der unverbindlichen Preisempfehlung des entsprechenden Angebots ohne Preisnachlässe und wurde unter Verwendung der im Mai 2010 aktuellen Wechselkurse berechnet. Der tatsächliche Wert kann variieren. Bestimmte Angebote, nicht jedoch Angebote mit Preisnachlässen, sind nach dem Ablauf des Abonnements nicht mehr verfügbar.

magicaltrevor said:
From what I understand, the feature will be available to ALL users, but only PSN Plus-members will be able to 'start' the voicechat. Receiving and accept voicechats will be free for everyone, even non-Plus users.
*smacks head into wall, again and again*

magicaltrevor said:
NullPointer said:
*smacks head into wall, again and again*
lol

Zen

Banned
Well they've figured out a pretty slick way of doing PSN+, credit where it is due. I do like the everyone can cross game chat, it's better than it being exclusive to + buyers. Keeping the games and free stuff locked to your + subscription is dirty; the tyrant in me approves. :lol

Screenshot before it gets removed:

crossgamevoicechat.jpg

Yeef

Bizzyb said:
Whatever happened to putting the damn disc in and playing it right then and there, huh?
Online multiplayer.

For single player games you can always just cancel/ignore the patch notifications and continue with your day.

[edit] I'm really interested to see how the PS+ stuff works with other accounts on the same system. I know with avatars if someone else buys one none of the other accounts on the system can use them (which makes sense). If a PS+ user downloads a 'free' game can the other system accounts play them? I'm guessing not. Sony has turned a blind eye to content sharing in the past, but something tells me they won't this time.

Mrbob

Three month free trial is what Tretton said on stage, so those of us with PS3s can try it out.

I don't like how they clustered auto updates and possibly cross game chat into it, but free games and Playstation store discounts is a pretty big deal. If I can keep those games as long as I subscribe (and not a rotating list), that is pretty awesome.

Mrbob said:
Three month free trial is what Tretton said on stage, so those of us with PS3s can try it out.

I don't like how they clustered auto updates and possibly cross game chat into it, but free games and Playstation store discounts is a pretty big deal. If I can keep those games as long as I subscribe (and not a rotating list), that is pretty awesome.

Yet the US site contradicts that statement with a spot in the lower left that says 3 months free if you pay for a year subscription. Tretton flubbed the line I'm guessing.

Yeef

Mrbob said:
That's what I thought too, but looking on the actual page I think what he meant was that if you sign up for a year you get an extra 3 months free; not that EVERYONE would get access to a free trial.

ps_promobox1.jpg

I don't get all the hate. I mean, for people buying PSN regularly like i do, this is really a good deal. I'll get some of them free, and others will have discounts.

Fuzzy said:
Any word on game sharing the free games you get? I'm assuming we still can.

I would think they'd change gamesharing not to allow this (or go Final Fight style DRM), but then again this is LOL Sony.

Dragon

Banned
Shambles said:
Pretty much, but most people don't have much foresight to see this. Sony, there was a reason I went with you this generation and not Microsoft, it doesn't appear that you understand your userbase. Not having to wait 20-30 minutes everytime I boot up my machine that random time to patch and update my OS and game isn't a 'payable' feature.

You went with Sony but you turn on your PS3 once a month?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
3.40 releasing on June 22

from the pr
PlayStation users can purchase PlayStation Plus membership through PlayStation Store on PS3 only. Users need to install PS3 system software version 3.40, which will be released on June 22nd, to enjoy PlayStation Plus.

Top Bottom