• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Pulse Explore Review

Are you getting the Pulse Explore earbuds?

• Yes, I already preordered

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Maybe sometime after they launch

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the Pulse Explore

Votes: 95 62.9%

• Total voters

phant0m

How well does the audio sync with the inzone buds? The inzones seem so much better on paper and I want to get the white ones when they're back in stock but all the chatter about how great PS Link is making have second thoughts about the Pulse Explorer.
It's fine, not noticeable to me. It comes with a little dongle you plug in to PS5 (or PC) and connects via 2.4 GHz, not bluetooth. I find it same as using my SteelSeries Arctis 7.

Don't they have limited Bluetooth codec compatibility though?
yeah. it's not meant to be connected via BT, you're supposed to use the USB-C dongle it comes with. Has worked via my PS5 + Macbook without issue. Bluetooth sucks ass so it's fine with me. I'd love to see someone do a comparison between the inzones & PS link

Last edited:

Brucey

I might buy the Pulse Elites but I beyond disappointed with Sony's poor engineering decision not to include PS Link in the new PS5 Slims leaving doubt that it'll be included in the PS5 Pro.

You should not need a dongle in 2023 to use a first-party headset that just launched in 2023 with a first-party console that just launched in 2023.

The Pulse Elite will need to review off the charts for me to buy it at this point. I'm already waiting to get the Apple AirPod Max assuming the next headset is USB-C and hopefully has lossless audio.
As long as a PS5 has a USB port one can use the dongle that comes with the pulse explorers. Doesn't really make sense for Sony to include it in the slim ps5 when the percentage of those who will be able to use ps link is so small. Sounds like many who are preordering are getting an extra dongle for their PC or other devices.

Brucey

They can but if you're using a bunch of apple products these won't be as convenient. They'll sound better for VR and are compatible with Portal.
I would wait for reviews that do a better job comparing. The CNet review is a bit better

This review talks a little about music too but all these tests are done over Bluetooth. Wait for a review when comparing using the Link adapter connected to a source.
Sounds promising. I have the xm4s earbuds and the xm5 headphones. The noise cancelling on the xm5 is hot garbage (auto anc levels which can't be changed via the app) so no great loss there. Seems like the only real negative may be lack of ldac support via BT - tho this could potentially be added later on via firmware - ldac multipoint support was added post launch with the XMs.

As long as a PS5 has a USB port one can use the dongle that comes with the pulse explorers. Doesn't really make sense for Sony to include it in the slim ps5 when the percentage of those who will be able to use ps link is so small. Sounds like many who are preordering are getting an extra dongle for their PC or other devices.
The technology should be integrated so that you don’t need to fumble around with a usb port.

Apple for example would never do this. All of their equipment just works with each other. This is a missed opportunity.

The technology should be integrated so that you don’t need to fumble around with a usb port.

Apple for example would never do this. All of their equipment just works with each other. This is a missed opportunity.
You literally plug it in and never again. You have like 3 usb ports on a PS5, why is this even an issue for you

You literally plug it in and never again. You have like 3 usb ports on a PS5, why is this even an issue for you

And what happens if you want to use it on a different PlayStation? You have to take the usb dongle with you. If you lose that dongle or someone breaks it as protruding plastic can easily be broke you’re going to need to buy another in the best case scenario and in the worst case you have a broken usb port.

There are plenty of reasons to not want to have to deal with a dongle.

This is poor engineering in the year 2023.

And what happens if you want to use it on a different PlayStation? You have to take the usb dongle with you. If you lose that dongle or someone breaks it as protruding plastic can easily be broke you’re going to need to buy another in the best case scenario and in the worst case you have a broken usb port.

There are plenty of reasons to not want to have to deal with a dongle.

This is poor engineering in the year 2023.
I have never used a headset that I didnt have to plug something into my console before, and I’ve had like 5 of them.

Even the top tier arctis nova wireless +$300 headphones I use has a plugin like what.

Non issue, get over it

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I will never buy any PS branded headphones, they’re trash.

It’s a shame I can’t use my Sony XM5 with my PS5, they’re amazing.
There are two ways to use your XM5 on PS5 (I use mine sometimes)

- Wired into the controller
- USB Bluetooth Transmitter I use the Avantree DG80 it’s basically the same as the USB transmitters you use with official headsets but it’s BT , works well but not perfect.

I have never used a headset that I didnt have to plug something into my console before, and I’ve had like 5 of them.

Even the top tier arctis nova wireless +$300 headphones I use has a plugin like what.

Non issue, get over it

That's like saying, I've never had a console that I didn't have to plug the controller into the console, so consoles shouldn't have wireless controllers.

Apple and even Samsung ensure that their devices can pair seamlessly with their devices.

Sony puts out a new protocol for pairing headsets and it isn't integrated into the console. Again, that's poor engineering.

Tams

It's really a very fair price for planar wireless buds and the codecs and features it supports.

It is.

But you can get some amazing ChiFi stuff for much less these days. And in earbud form, so your ears won't hate you as much when you're older.

I have Sony Inzone H9 headset which a actually really like. It just sucks that Sony wont add the PS5 calibration app for them.

Last edited:
That's like saying, I've never had a console that I didn't have to plug the controller into the console, so consoles shouldn't have wireless controllers.

Apple and even Samsung ensure that their devices can pair seamlessly with their devices.

Sony puts out a new protocol for pairing headsets and it isn't integrated into the console. Again, that's poor engineering.
Apple and Samsung aren’t making consoles, they make phones my dude. It’s a faulty comparison.

iPhones are also 2-3x more expensive than consoles and let’s not even get into the fact that Apple is literally the biggest company on the planet? Just lol

Ronin_7

Banned

Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about.

Vlodril

2825606372_0d871ee08c.jpg

Gotta worry about Sony headsets

I loved that thing. Looked cool as hell. Used it since i did a fair amount of mp play on ps3 (which had an unprecedented amount of mp games for Sony).

Apple and Samsung aren’t making consoles, they make phones my dude. It’s a faulty comparison.

iPhones are also 2-3x more expensive than consoles and let’s not even get into the fact that Apple is literally the biggest company on the planet? Just lol

Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about.

Hope you both realize that the ps portal comes with integrated ps link. So to act as if this was impossible for the ps5 slim is laughable.

FrankWza

Sounds promising. I have the xm4s earbuds and the xm5 headphones. The noise cancelling on the xm5 is hot garbage (auto anc levels which can't be changed via the app) so no great loss there. Seems like the only real negative may be lack of ldac support via BT - tho this could potentially be added later on via firmware - ldac multipoint support was added post launch with the XMs.
Never been a huge fan of anc. I know there more than one way to implement but I have never found one I loved. They always make things feel more closed and sound worse where the trade off isn't worth it. So just having it isn't always such a great benefit.
I preordered, but I've since cancelled for now. No active noise cancellation makes these a bummer. Shocked it was left out.
Unless you plan on using these in really noisy environments I wouldn't be too concerned. There's no way they would have been anywhere near this price if they added more features.
The key with these are:
Planar wireless
Simultaneous multi connection
Direct connect with Portal
Lossless Gaming+USB compatible devices.
Mic noise rejection tech
It is.

But you can get some amazing ChiFi stuff for much less these days. And in earbud form, so your ears won't hate you as much when you're older.
I recently ordered the KZ PR2 and I'm going to do some comparing with the Inzone Buds. I just ordered those so I can try as close to the Explore as possible.
Also skit_data skit_data i posted the Verge review if you want to add to OP

Last edited:

FrankWza

Another review. 2.5/5
I have some issues with the points he's making but if I'm looking for a pair of primarily gaming buds and these are his pros I'm good.
Doesn't mention Portal. He brings up Audeze and their $900 buds but not the fact that Sony owns them and they probably had a big hand in these.
Also doesn't mention simultaneous connection but says designed to be used with your Playstation 5 or PC through an included USB adapter or with your phone via Bluetooth.

Ends with this which disqualified his opinion to me.
"Your best bet for strong audio that covers both music on your phone and gaming on your PS5 is to get a pair of Bluetooth earphones like the Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 NC for music through your phone, and a 3.5mm wired headset like the Razer Blackshark V2 for plugging into your DualSense gamepad. Both earned our Editors’ Choice award and together cost as much as the Pulse Explore."

PROS​

• Crisp, clear audio
  • Good microphone

CONS​

• Poor design
  • Expensive
  • Mediocre battery life
  • Balance won't satisfy audiophiles or bass fans

I have some issues with the points he's making but if I'm looking for a pair of primarily gaming buds and these are his pros I'm good.
Doesn't mention Portal. He brings up Audeze and their $900 buds but not the fact that Sony owns them and they probably had a big hand in these.
Also doesn't mention simultaneous connection but says designed to be used with your Playstation 5 or PC through an included USB adapter or with your phone via Bluetooth.

Ends with this which disqualified his opinion to me.
"Your best bet for strong audio that covers both music on your phone and gaming on your PS5 is to get a pair of Bluetooth earphones like the Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 NC for music through your phone, and a 3.5mm wired headset like the Razer Blackshark V2 for plugging into your DualSense gamepad. Both earned our Editors’ Choice award and together cost as much as the Pulse Explore."

PROS​

• Crisp, clear audio
  • Good microphone

CONS​

• Poor design
  • Expensive
  • Mediocre battery life
  • Balance won't satisfy audiophiles or bass fans
The buds have Playstation in the damn name and people want to review these like they aren’t premium buds for GAMING. Silly tbh

Roxkis_ii

Paying $200 to have poor battery life and still have to use a dongle is crazy. I'll stick to my wired headphones.

Wired gang still winning.

Last edited:
I was hoping these would be a great replacement for my airpods and soundcore earbuds.
Right now I use the soundcore for PSVR2, and the airpods for phone, but I'd like to use one pair for psvr2, phone and portal . . . Guess i'm sticking with what I got for now.

FrankWza

The buds have Playstation in the damn name and people want to review these like they aren’t premium buds for GAMING. Silly tbh
Yeah I don't care what the scores are but at least do a proper review. This and Portal. Too many reviews talking about what they don't have instead of what they offer. Even then, if thats your opinion at least put it through a real test. He didn't even connect to a different source with the Link adapter or try simultaneously connecting. These are some big key features.

FrankWza

I was hoping these would be a great replacement for my airpods and soundcore earbuds.
Right now I use the soundcore for PSVR2, and the airpods for phone, but I'd like to use one pair for psvr2, phone and portal . . . Guess i'm sticking with what I got for now.
That's exactly what they're for. PS5, PSVR2 and Portal. I probably won't use these outside because they're bigger than most because the drivers are bigger but they're perfectly capable with phones and you can take calls or listen to music or podcasts while youre listening to game audio.

That's exactly what they're for. PS5, PSVR2 and Portal. I probably won't use these outside because they're bigger than most because the drivers are bigger but they're perfectly capable with phones and you can take calls or listen to music or podcasts while youre listening to game audio.
I need to see more reviews. Dunno about them so far.

I think I'm gonna get the wife to get them for me for Christmas. I don't use ANC or equalizer apps. My concerns would be more around are they really a good replacement for the airpods for dealing with the phone.
I looked into the bose earbuds at some point, and it sounded like they were a headache to use with the phone. Like it didn't connect automatically or switch between stuff easily, things like that. I forget what exactly.

Yea, the sound is fine, I just worry that it's going to break for no reason like my Gold did.

If you go from an aux setup, which utilizes the controller mic, or aux with PSVR2 which utilizes the VR mic, you'll instantly hear how much worse the Pulse is when you're going pure wireless.
Could it be that it is defective or the mic is damaged? Mine sounds pretty well, good Quality audio as well over wireless.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't care what the scores are but at least do a proper review. This and Portal. Too many reviews talking about what they don't have instead of what they offer. Even then, if thats your opinion at least put it through a real test. He didn't even connect to a different source with the Link adapter or try simultaneously connecting. These are some big key features.
UrAvg Explore Review just dropped. Consumer has been doing some good coverage on the Portal too.

FrankWza

UrAvg Explore Review just dropped. Consumer has been doing some good coverage on the Portal too.
Touched on simultaneous connection and at least tried some different tips. The mic sounded good and the A. I. in the mic keeping the chewing sounds from coming through is cool.
He did make a good point about bass and how it comes down to choosing the right tips. The fact that they're buds is going to make every user experience come down to fit more than full sized headsets.

FrankWza

Great review. I really want these but I wasn’t able to preorder.

Anyone have any insight on best place to find them instore Day 1??
I would try Best Buy or Target. It's hard to gauge demand since the Portal demand is much higher now and they are tied together because of the direct connection. I would guess there were far fewer produced than Portal

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm kinda done with PlayStation hardware for the moment - something which I never thought I'd say. I'm happy enough with my PS5 DE and DualSense Edge. I also have PSVR2, Pulse 3D and a couple of official controller charging docks plus a few more pieces... but this new round of hardware just doesn't appeal to me much at all. It's the first PlayStation where I don't like how it looks, and I've been there since day-1 PS1 and buying every iteration of their consoles day 1. I'm still delighted they're doing so well and I will be back once stuff more appealing comes along. In a way, I'm glad Jim is gone, as I feel like this is his doing. Either that, or I'm growing out of love with PlayStation. We shall see once the CEO comes online.

I can see why with that much invested. But don't turn your back on.the pulse elite, by all accounts it will be a substantial upgrade over the pulse 3d and worth one last expense.

TrebleShot

Mine arrived today and they sound phenomenal, I posted a mini review on Reddit, this is the tex, was rushing it so probably reads like a 15 year old wrote it.

PS Pulse Explore

Got these today and thought I’d do a mini review.

Short version - they are phenomenal.

I am a headphone snob I have every headset out there the Arctic Novas , Audeze Penrose + Maxwell, Wired Hifi man Sundara.

These have extremely pronounced bass and punchy clean tones and I’ve never heard 3D audio sound so good.

Initially I was hugely disappointed they sounded horrible and tinny and almost like a low pass filter had been applied but I don’t know if the drivers needs warming up or the tips changed but they hen suddenly clicked and these bad boys are incredible!

I also hooked my phone up to test music as I heard they were poor in that regard and I had my mind blown , so warm, so crisp, I usually use AirPod Pro 2 and these completely obliterate them.

I also got a usb dongle to swap between PC and PS5 which works brilliantly.

The passive noise cancelling is pretty awesome too it really isolates the sound.

If you get them try the different tips they make a huge difference , initially I swapped to the big ones and had terrible sound then the medium/small and they went much deeper in my ear canal and made a massive tonal difference.

If Highly recommend picking them up.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Mine arrived today and they sound phenomenal, I posted a mini review on Reddit, this is the tex, was rushing it so probably reads like a 15 year old wrote it.

PS Pulse Explore

I am a headphone snob I have every headset out there the Arctic Novas , Audeze Penrose + Maxwell, Wired Hifi man Sundara.

These have extremely pronounced bass and punchy clean tones and I’ve never heard 3D audio sound so good.

Initially I was hugely disappointed they sounded horrible and tinny and almost like a low pass filter had been applied but I don’t know if the drivers needs warming up or the tips changed but they hen suddenly clicked and these bad boys are incredible!

I also hooked my phone up to test music as I heard they were poor in that regard and I had my mind blown , so warm, so crisp, I usually use AirPod Pro 2 and these completely obliterate them.

The passive noise cancelling is pretty awesome too it really isolates the sound.

If you get them try the different tips they make a huge difference , initially I swapped to the big ones and had terrible sound then the medium/small and they went much deeper in my ear canal and made a massive tonal difference.

Im interested in battery life. I know you just got them, so it would be cool if you would update this later after you've experienced battery life. If anyone else who has had these for a bit can chime in on battery life that would be great too.

FrankWza

PS Pulse Explore

Nice review. Try an OTG cable with the Link adapter yet? I'm putting foams on mine.

Also. These are looking like they undershipped and have been delayed at most retailers.

Im interested in battery life. I know you just got them, so it would be cool if you would update this later after you've experienced battery life. If anyone else who has had these for a bit can chime in on battery life that would be great too.
The previews I saw say the battery life is 5 hours and the case can charge it twice, so 15 hours total with the two charges.
The 5 hours is about the same as the dualsense controller and portal, so I'm fine with that.

TrebleShot

Nice review. Try an OTG cable with the Link adapter yet? I'm putting foams on mine.

Also. These are looking like they undershipped and have been delayed at most retailers.
Hi mate no I haven’t tried an OTG cable I don’t think I’d have a use case for them as I’d just use the BT connection for devices without standard USB connections. MacBook etc.

PS Pulse Explore

Epic review. I use the nova pro wireless for gaming and airpods for all else in life and this is what Im tryna see! Was able to order with hotstock on iOS via Gamestop.

Hope the wait isn’t too long.

FrankWza

Been messing with these for a few days now. So far pretty awesome. Have to find the right fit and I ended up using foams because I'm not a fan of silicone. OTG works great but so far only tried on phone. Definitely an improvement when comparing same to standard Bluetooth. Battery life is as stated but maybe a bit less when using simultaneous connection but not substantial. Bluetooth during simultaneous is more than fine when listening to podcasts. I'll start comparing to my setup with PS5 and Portal. Not having ANC is not an issue if you get a good fit and seal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom