• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Shame Wipeout didn't have it's load times patched before the reviews came out for it. Imagine it got docked at least 5% on Metacritic because of it.

Anyone try searching for any of the new titles yet. They sometimes pop up early on PSN.
Early? Yes. THIS early? Not likely.

Still shipping soon for me as well. Good thing is delivery time for my place is around 11:30 am. Just wake up and get my Vita, the falling asleep part is going to suck though.

do you have footage for a normal race? zone tracks do tend to load a lot faster.

From a fresh restart of the Vita (so none of the tracks are in memory) I timed it at 40 seconds for a regular track in combat mode, so it is still a fairly big reduction and it will only get shorter once you play the game for a bit.

Edit: and restarting takes about 15 sec which I think is shorter than before.

Shame Wipeout didn't have it's load times patched before the reviews came out for it. Imagine it got docked at least 5% on Metacritic because of it.

Early? Yes. THIS early? Not likely.

I think its good if it tells developers to not sell games with terrible flaws that could've been easily fixed if they delayed the release a bit. It just seems like the rushed the game out. Hopefully, the next Wipeout game on PS4 has performance closer to the PS3 game.

I hope someone makes something to clip on to the Vita analogsticks.

My hands are huge and the sticks are tiny :/
I'm actually a little concerned about how functional they'll be for aiming in a FPS. Hopefully it's something that I'll adjust to and they'll work wonderfully but my first impressions left me feeling like the range of movement is just too small.

Well, I was getting concerned that Amazon.ca was going to take a bit longer to ship out of the First Edition bundle... then I get an email notification on my phone. I check it and the subject line says...

"Your Amazon.ca order has shipped."

IT SHIPPED! Happy dance!

Thoraxes

I'm actually a little concerned about how functional they'll be for aiming in a FPS. Hopefully it's something that I'll adjust to and they'll work wonderfully but my first impressions left me feeling like the range of movement is just too small.

I'm actually hoping for more gryoscope aiming down the line too to help some, but with adjustable sensitivity.

I'm actually hoping for more gryoscope aiming down the line too to help some, but with adjustable sensitivity.
I haven't tried the gyroscopic aiming in Uncharted but I must admit that I find the idea absolutely revolting. A well done dual analog setup shouldn't need that kind of handicap. I'm not writing off the idea entirely as I haven't tried it but like I said, it just doesn't sound appealing at all.

raven777

shipped.jpg

Finally!!

Also, the vita earphone that was suppose to arrive next monday will be arriving tommorow as well! Just have to wait for Blazblue until friday.

Thoraxes

I haven't tried the gyroscopic aiming in Uncharted but I must admit that I find the idea absolutely revolting. A well done dual analog setup shouldn't need that kind of handicap. I'm not writing off the idea entirely as I haven't tried it but like I said, it just doesn't sound appealing at all.

Weirdly enough, I was a complete non-believer too, but a few 3DS games changed how I feel about Gyro aiming. I think as long as it's handled properly, i'm am totally cool with it.

Weirdly enough, I was a complete non-believer too, but a few 3DS games changed how I feel about Gyro aiming. I think as long as it's handled properly, i'm am totally cool with it.
Cool, maybe there is hope for me then. Do you think it works well enough to be viable in a competitive FPS?

It that from the game card or from the memory card?

Game card, I know memory card loads are supposed to be longer but I am not sure by how much.

I still think the loads are longer than they should be, but they seem much more tolerable now than before. Hopefully it is something they will continue optimizing.

Thoraxes

Cool, maybe there is hope for me then. Do you think it works well enough to be viable in a competitive FPS?

I'm not totally sure (probably not), but I think the most I can say is that it's a person-by-person basis. I'll bet you for everyone who's awkward with it, there's probably someone out there who just rocks with it. It's more physical though, so I don't expect everyone to be good with it.

Theonik

The Japanese launch was brutal for me, especially because I knew I still had to wait a good while. I think it broke me in enough to where this FEB business will only phase me slightly.

Who knows though, tomorrow might break me.
You guys are lucky to even have the FEBs, here we have to just deal with the wait. I feel this weird sort of limbo that it should be in my hands by now. Just a few more days...

I'm not totally sure (probably not), but I think the most I can say is that it's a person-by-person basis. I'll bet you for everyone who's awkward with it, there's probably someone out there who just rocks with it. It's more physical though, so I don't expect everyone to be good with it.
Honestly I'm just ready for a handheld that gives me the same experience in a FPS (control wise) that I would have using a controller. If the Vita fails to provide that based on inadequate controls then I will be very disappointed.

I remember when I played the Vita back in September at the Eurogamer Expo I played Uncharted and the gyro aiming for the sniper section was very surprising.

Of course it works better than the 3DS (which I have only tried Zelda), because your not going to tilt the screen and making the 3D effect break.

Game card, I know memory card loads are supposed to be longer but I am not sure by how much.

I still think the loads are longer than they should be, but they seem much more tolerable now than before. Hopefully it is something they will continue optimizing.

Yeah, the loads in your video are faster, but holy crap they're still long for games loading off of carts.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Based on my experience with the 3DS (specifically OoT3D and Revelaitions), gyro aiming isn't an ideal replacement for the right analogue stick, but it's great when combined with analog aiming. OoT3D does this when you're aiming the bow or boomerang. It allows you to make fine adjustments that aren't really possible with an analogue stick, so once you get used to it you'll probably be pulling off a lot more headshots than you would without it.

Revelaitions forces you to use one style or the other, and I didn't care for the way that gryo-only aiming felt. I had no problem making fine adjustments, but it felt clunky when I tried to make major adjustments, like swinging the reticule from the left to ride side of the screen. I could probably adjust to it over time, but hopefully most developers will give us the option to take advantage of the best of both worlds.

Skilletor

Traded a bunch of PSP games in and picked up Lumines.

My haul will be Lumines, NG Sigma, Wipeout, and UMvC3. Then just waiting for gravity daze.

I played the system at Gamestop, and if I hadn't already ordered the FEB, I would have done so. So awesome.

Buttons and dpad are a bit small for me, but otherwise so good.

datamage

That on-screen button for Resistance better be an option. This isn't an iPhone, I don't need buttons taking up screen real-estate.

Traded a bunch of PSP games in and picked up Lumines.

My haul will be Lumines, NG Sigma, Wipeout, and UMvC3. Then just waiting for gravity daze.

I played the system at Gamestop, and if I hadn't already ordered the FEB, I would have done so. So awesome.

Buttons and dpad are a bit small for me, but otherwise so good.

Will Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus be available on the 15th on PSN, or only on the 22nd?

Ragus

Banned
I can't justify paying 40$ for lumines, but I have a fear, that when it hits PSN, it will be too tempting not to buy it.

By the way, we know about battery life. What about charging time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom