• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermy

For everyone looking for a FEB, check Frys. I just looked online at their website and saw they were available for purchase with local pickup. I just ordered this morning and got confirmation for pickup today.

There are far too many reconnects and disconnects to really have it the way you want, though. Your PS3 friends would probably block you eventually after all the "XXX has signed in" and out messages every 10 minutes or so.

I think the way around is if Sony disabled Notifications for Vita users on PS3. Just have them pop up on the list if they're online and playing on the Vita.

Why does Sony allow so many disconnections from PSN? They need to get this straightened out.

And, how in the world am I suppose to know when I'm on PSN? There should be a PSN icon next to the wifi icon to let me know when I'm connected to PSN.

How do I connect my Vita to my PS3? I connected it to the usb port on my PS3 and launched content manager but it says unable to connect to PS3. I want to transfer SSD over so bad.

Why does Sony allow so many disconnections from PSN? They need to get this straightened out.

And, how in the world am I suppose to know when I'm on PSN? There should be a PSN icon next to the wifi icon to let me know when I'm connected to PSN.

Yeah, not knowing when you're on PSN is dumb.

They're probably trying to increase battery life by implementing disconnects when you're not actively using something the network.

Seems like I should have that choice though, and it should not be forced...

Rich!

looking for feedback from people who have got their consoles/games today.

I've chosen Rayman Origins as my launch purchase next week for the UK launch - is that a good choice? Decent port? I know it's an awesome game, but does it do the vita justice?

frequency

Assuming you have people on your friends list, soon you'll know when you're online.

There will constantly be a huge pop up on the top right with people signing in.
And I couldn't find any way to turn it off. It bothers me so much...

Also, games clearly say when they're turning off the network features in an ugly grey pop up.

Is it wrong that any time I see a picture of someone's collection that includes Modnation I think to myself, "Ooooh that poor guy."?

If you FEB guys are taking requests, footage of PSP games running on the Vita would be nicer than footage of Vita games (opinion).

Verelios

So I've been looking around, and I don't see anything to protect the backtouch. Am I just supposed to put another protective film on there or is there something I can actually buy and use?

theBishop

Banned
FEB+ is BooBoo approved!

2Q27X.jpg

I was with you until I saw the vita-branded headphones. Kill Them!

It's because a lot of singleplayer games disable network connections for power saving purposes. I didn't mean to imply that it disconnects for no apparent reason. My bad.

As for how to know if you're on, if you get pop up notifications saying people are signing in, you're signed on. If not, then you're probably not. It always tells you when a game disables network, though... so it's not exactly a guessing game.

theBishop

Banned
looking for feedback from people who have got their consoles/games today.

I've chosen Rayman Origins as my launch purchase next week for the UK launch - is that a good choice? Decent port? I know it's an awesome game, but does it do the vita justice?

It's looking like a great port. The previews I've seen marvel at the "pop" of the image on the OLED screen. Frame rate seems fine. You can even pinch-zoom to get a closer look at the art.

There's one big loss in the Vita port: multiplayer. There's no coop in the Vita version.

Rich!

It's looking like a great port. The previews I've seen marvel at the "pop" of the image on the OLED screen. Frame rate seems fine. You can even pinch-zoom to get a closer look at the art.

There's one big loss in the Vita port: multiplayer. There's no coop in the Vita version.

Not an issue for me. Maybe worryingly, I don't know of a single other person IRL who is buying a Vita. Good to know its looking like a great port though - I'm always wary of ubisoft launch titles!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will never understand this.

He might have got some for free but I'm not sure. But it's his monies anyways, let him enjoy.

As for me. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just got back with mine and am diving in now on the setup and Skinomo application (screen protector). That screen and OS respond like a boss. I tried the 3G too. Excellent signal.

Tinkering with settings and trying to apply with AT&T for the 3G soon but damn, this is the real deal tech wise. Got my 32GB and 2 games waiting for me when I got home too. The circle is complete!

The case in the FEB is really nice too.

theBishop

Banned
What Sony must fail to realize is that I'm a big boy. If I want to save power, I'll choose to do so. And if I dont want to, I won't.

Jeff Gerstmann speculated that the Offline thing is because certain game-specific network services aren't online yet. I doubt that's true, but it's another possible explanation.

jorgeton

Has anyone tried playing some PSP games on the vita? Specifically games that really needed a second analog stick (Monster Hunter comes to mind). How is it?

I'm on the fence, but I want one. I love my PSP and don't know if I should wait or just jump in now.

None of the launch Vita games interest me, but I'd love to play some upscaled PSP games on this.

Mattiator

I get to go grab mine after work today 3:00 :(, can't access IGN has their review for Ninja Gaiden showed up yet??, and also has anyone tested valkyria chronicles 2 before I buy that bundle??

How do I connect my Vita to my PS3? I connected it to the usb port on my PS3 and launched content manager but it says unable to connect to PS3. I want to transfer SSD over so bad.

You plug it into the PS3 and the PS3 pops up with a screen about using the vita to manage content. Don't back out of that screen. Then, in content manager on the Vita, you can do all your stuff.

Also, Gods Eater Burst works on the Vita. It plays really well and looks great.

When the you plug in the USB a message will pop up on PS3.
Leave that screen up while transferring.
All transfers are done from the content manager in the Vita.

Has anyone tried playing some PSP games on the vita? Specifically games that really needed a second analog stick (Monster Hunter comes to mind). How is it?

I'm on the fence, but I want one. I love my PSP and don't know if I should wait or just jump in now.

None of the launch Vita games interest me, but I'd love to play some upscaled PSP games on this.

Go to youtube and type in Monster Hunter Vita. You'll see it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any impressions on Skinomi full body protectors??

I've had it on for about an hour. Let it rest as it says to let it rest for about 3-5. The light condensation has already dissipated. I have some little air pockets but those are the ones that are supposed to disappear in a few days. It's not even noticeable either. So in other words, it's a pretty good screen protector which encompasses the entirety of the front. Easily worth the price.

System updating to 1.60 at the moment then I'm going to try to finish the PSN setup and tackle the 3G activation. This thing is gorgeous.

I'm going to have to pick up Rayman now lol

Thanks a lot g35!

theBishop

Banned
It is great. Monster Hunter and Gods Eater Burst are much better. It's honestly like playing a new game.

Fuck the small Start and Select buttons.

i'm not letting Capcom off the hook. There's no way I'm buying Monster Hunter until it surpasses the PS2 original. MT Framework engine, and modern online support.

i'm not letting Capcom off the hook. There's no way I'm buying Monster Hunter until it surpasses the PS2 original. MT Framework engine, and modern online support.

I agree. It will come probably in a year. That'll push systems in Japan, and I'd love to see it here in the states.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Anyone found a way to disable the "No Signal" up at the top left corner if you disable 3G? Kinda annoying. I guess I'll leave it connected to 3G rather than see the no signal thang all the time...

Edit: Love what the battery icon does when you plug in the ac adapter, hah! Groovy.

Sony needs to improve the UI in two ways based off my first impression.

1. Add control support to the homescreen menu
  2. Add an option that allows the user to disable live area (i.g. launch right into a game)

Yeah, not knowing when you're on PSN is dumb.

They're probably trying to increase battery life by implementing disconnects when you're not actively using something the network.

Seems like I should have that choice though, and it should not be forced...
Exactly. This should not be forced on us. I really hope the devs can patch this out.

It's because a lot of singleplayer games disable network connections for power saving purposes. I didn't mean to imply that it disconnects for no apparent reason. My bad.
Not at all dude. I'm just a little ticked that Sony is claiming that they want an always connected device and are Promoting 3G heavily but most of their games disable the network, absolutely oxymoronic in my opinion.
We need to tweet Yoshida or let the Playstation blog know that this really is something that shouldn't be in the next batch of games.

The rear touchpad is reported to scratch easily.

You dont want scratches on your rear touchpad do you?

Anything can scratch easily. Doesn't mean you're going to wrap the whole thing with Saran wrap.

Even if it scratches, it will work just as well.

with my first child due on March 21st I may need a Vita to keep me sane during the late nights.

hmmmm

what say you gaf?

I'd say name your kid Vita.

Shinriji

I want to buy a Vita, waiting for the first price drop. But now there is a perfect storm for getting one on launch (unexpected money coming my way, nice 3G bundle, Target doing the b2g1).

So, do you think that the 3G launch bundle will be sold out as soon as feb 22? And what about Army Corps of Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom