• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerAJD

Can anybody help me with a shipping situation on Amazon before I go to Amazon support?
I preordered this case, and this screen protector, both of which say they are released on the 22nd. I've got Amazon Prime's 2 day shipping selected for the order, but it says the estimated delivery will be on the following Monday, the 27th. Is this because it won't actually be here before the weekend? It's no huge deal, but I was hoping to have the screen protector on the Vita before I really started to use it, and I've got release day shipping with that.

Neverfade

1) Are the social network apps (i.e. Japan has Twitter) not up yet?

2) How do I activate the Data Pass thing? More specifically, how does the free month work?

dreamfall

GAF, I'm not by my Vita tonight- but I was wondering: has anyone had any luck transferring Hot Shots Tennis? I also want to double dip on The Warriors - but only if it is able to be transferred- any luck? Or Def Jam The Takeover?

I will say this again- but I honestly wish I invested in a PSPGo. This would have made some of these double dipping DL's so much easier. I've got a stack of nearly 20-something UMD's that are sitting sadly on my shelf!

MrMephistoX

Can anyone recommend any PSP RPGs for the Vita that are either turn-based or ARPGs? I played a bit of, and enjoyed, Gururumin, so something like that would be great.

I think instead of getting a Vita game, I'm just gonna buy a few PSP titles I missed.

In the same boat and probably going to get Persona 3 Portable and Valkyria Chronicles 2 but I intend to splurge at Target next week w Uncharted, UMVC3 and either Hot Shots or Rayman.

patsu

Can't buy anything off the store...just get an error. =\

Eh ? I'm downloading Escape Plan from Vita PSN Store as we speak...

1) Are the social network apps (i.e. Japan has Twitter) not up yet?

No social apps yet, except Near, Party, Group Messaging. Perhaps next week.

2) How do I activate the Data Pass thing?

I think people recommended using PC/Mac to activate the pass instead. Check out the Vita "Network Operator" app first. I haven't tried it myself yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What's the word on this versus the PSP for PSP games? I wonder if the better screen offsets possibly poor scaling.

Restarted the system and the issue fixed itself. =\

To me, both LoH TitS and Ys SEVEN look way better from the colors alone. The filtering works well too on those 2 particular games.

I just got through playing a bit of Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins and Silent Hill Origins and I can't believe how good these PSP games look on the Vita.

Jeff-DSA

First few minutes of Escape Plan.

That startup load time is a bit long...not the best when you're dealing with handheld gaming, but not in the realm of unacceptable quite yet.

Sorry for the not so great quality and me being a little lost, but I kind of wanted to show how someone fresh to the game would jump into it.

It's only the first two levels and the intro video, so no worries about spoilers or anything.

http://youtu.be/GmxF8Bv189I

Jeff-DSA

Does anybody know what gets installed when a new game is put into the Vita? It installs for about 10 seconds or so and then creates the bubble. Any idea besides maybe a save profile?

imjust1n

Banned
im on the PSVita web browswer and it is really not that bad. I also love this system so far.

The only few complant I have is the screen goes off to quick and bothers me.

the right stick kinda gets in the way when I want to press X

When screen goes into standby the wifi shuts off and takes a bit to turn back on.

Other then that i really like it.

Oh and by the way if you have a PSVita please add me id like cool new friends

psn name : imjust1n

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If Amazon hasn't shipped your games yet, Target is having a B2G1 free sale starting Sunday.

That's really tempting, but thanks to my trade in credit from Amazon, I'm getting Wipeout, Rayman, the case, and the protector for $8.91.

I won't be picking up anymore Vita games until March, and those will be Unit 13 and Gravity Rush. I'll be plenty busy with my current crop of Vita games.

I would have liked to get Shinobido 2, and I'll get UMvC3 from the company store once they put it up, since it'll be discounted, but that will wait until next month also, more likely. Who knows, it may even drop lower than what it's listed in the store. Shinobido may drop also.

So many games for the Vita. It truly is unlike any console launch I've ever experienced. The fact that I have to pull back on purchases is impressive, and the fact that the games I'm buying aren't "i'm buying them because they're there" feels great. I'm genuinely interested in the titles I've purchased.

I think I'm going to pass on the Target sale. There's nothing worth making me spend money just to get a free game that I wouldnt have bought if not for the sale. I'll buy Lumines off the store (I want it on my memory card, accessible at all times) and then I'll spend my money on PSP titles that I never got a chance to play. Unlike the 3DS and the atrocious way it displays DS games, the Vita appears to be the ideal way to play PSP titles. Good job, Sony on that.

Tain

Caved today. Been playing Shinobido 2, messing with the OS, trying a few demos, and buying UGnG.

I just got through playing a bit of Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins and Silent Hill Origins and I can't believe how good these PSP games look on the Vita.

jesus christ, I know! I was shocked at UGnG. I couldn't bear the thought of playing it on my PSP-1000, but this d-pad and screen? unnnnnnnf.

TheExodu5

Banned
So Jeremy Parish just told me that all psp games look beautiful on vita...

IS THAT POSSIBLE????

You know what? YES IT IS.

I just checked the PSP specs and PS Vita specs.

PSP screen resolution: 480 × 272 pixels
PS Vita screen resolution: 960 x 544 pixels

Perfect 2:1 ratio. That means perfect scaling! :D

IS THAT POSSIBLE????

Considering that the resolution of the Vita is exacly 2x the PSP's resolution, and considering the Vita has a gorgeous OLED screen, it's totally possible. I haven't tried for myself, but according to the internets, PSP games look great on Vita.

njean777

im on the PSVita web browswer and it is really not that bad. I also love this system so far.

When screen goes into standby the wifi shuts off and takes a bit to turn back on.

Only thing they need to do pronto is add html5 support. Also when I was downloading tactics ogre the wifi did not turn off when it went into stand by...

IS THAT POSSIBLE????

Like I said, it looks like a definite upgrade. The big screen alone makes a true difference.

Makes me want to go back and finish the ones I had and also buy some new ones.

Games I've tried so far:

Silent Hill Origins
Ult. Ghosts n Goblins.
Flow
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Darkstalkers Chronicle

I may have to try out Twisted Metal. Any thoughts on the game? I've never played the PSP version.

d0c_zaius

I agree with all of these complaints.

I can add one: I think the face buttons are just a bit too small.

Eusis

IS THAT POSSIBLE????
I don't doubt him in the slightest, but I want to see how they look for myself before canceling Growlanser and Gungnir on Amazon.

... Well, and how long it takes Hakuoki to go up on the Vita store, because if that takes way too long then screw it, double dip in the first Atlus sale they're part of or whatever.

DBT85

The wifi on this seems really weak. If I walk to my bedroom one room over it drops from 3 bars to 1 bar. :| My iphone gets max bars no problem and so do my PSP/3DS.

Also the download speed over wifi is incredibly slow. I have it sitting next to my router at 3 bars and it gets maybe .5MB/sec. I'd heard about PS3's wifi downloads being slow but I'd always used wired. Now I can't!

Wait, can I download stuff on my PS3 and then pass it to my Vita through USB? That's probably waaaaaaaay faster for large downloads.

Try downloading something from something other than the PSN to see how fast the WiFi is. PSN is sometimes blisteringly fast and at other times snail mail slow.

IS THAT POSSIBLE????

As others pointed out, yes. Jeremy knows what he's talking about. He's the guy that shit all over the way DS games looked on the 3DS and I remember thinking to myself when I read it, "He's exaggerating." But then I tried it upon release and it was every bit as bad as he said. So if he says that about the Vita, my Vita boner just got even stiffer. i have so many PSP games to play on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
No one else has any issues with the shoulder buttons? I feel I can press them in and they won't register sometimes unless I press hard enough.

I'm seriously going to need to air this case out...

Haha, I've been airing it out all day and it's still there. Not sure what to do as I don't want to spray anything in it.

Also, has anyone had any success in playing Where Is My Heart on the Vita? Someone mentioned that they thought it wasn't compatible so I'm hoping for some confirmation.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I need an Atlus sale bad. Not paying $40 a piece for the Persona games but i really want them all.

Eusis

As others pointed out, yes. Jeremy knows what he's talking about. He's the guy that shit all over the way DS games looked on the 3DS and I remember thinking to myself when I read it, "He's exaggerating." But then I tried it upon release and it was every bit as bad as he said. So if he says that about the Vita, my Vita boner just got even stiffer. i have so many PSP games to play on it.
Yeah, part of the reason I feel better about a Vita early rather than a 3DS is that Vita games WILL look better in some way. If scaling's limp like it can be on the Retina Display (despite ALSO being an exact multiple of the original) it'll still be on a nice, 5 inch OLED, so as long as the scaling wasn't awful there'd be an arguable advantage anyway on the Vita. At this point I'm more worried that Vita proper games make going to PSP games a bit hard on the resolution front, but if most games aren't even running in native res then it probably won't matter afterall.

Well, and I don't think the Vita COULD do anything weird like display a sharp looking font on a blurry, upscaled game like iOS does.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
There needs to be another topic for people that didn't go with the early edition so I can stop being so jealous. Hype compels me to click on this topic but seeing people talk about it being in their hands is killing me.

Just 7 days left...

KillerAJD

Can anybody help me with a shipping situation on Amazon before I go to Amazon support?
I preordered this case, and this screen protector, both of which say they are released on the 22nd. I've got Amazon Prime's 2 day shipping selected for the order, but it says the estimated delivery will be on the following Monday, the 27th. Is this because it won't actually be here before the weekend? It's no huge deal, but I was hoping to have the screen protector on the Vita before I really started to use it, and I've got release day shipping with that.

Can anybody give me some info on this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There needs to be another topic for people that didn't go with the early edition so I can stop being so jealous. Hype compels me to click on this topic but seeing people talk about it being in their hands is killing me.

Just 7 days left...

You guys are weak. I have the Wi-Fi edition ordered, watched the GB stream, reading all these posts and nothing is phasing me. I could wait another month if I needed to :)

thoughts on this? anyone?

153153_440x350.jpg

153155_440x350.jpg

PS+Vita+Trigger+Grip+5.jpg

Xander51

I personally wouldn't want the Vita to be any bigger. That might be useful if you have really large hands, but I've found it comfortable to hold so far. The D-pad is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom