• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHakku

Alright, dudes. I broke down and bought the FEB. I was going to pick up the 32 gb card, too. But I didn't. Am I going to regret that? Can someone break down how and what the data plan is? Should I activate it? I don't want to pay any monthly fee. Sorry for all of the questions. I just bought a new system and am pretty pumped.

Pretty sure if you want to use the 3G you have to activate a plan on an included (built-in?) sim card. Data plan means 3G, and for that there's a monthly fee. You should be good to go with no fees via wifi, but, you can't play "anywhere," only where there's wireless connectivity.

...Right?

How can I download the apps like Skype, Netflix, etc?

Apps are going to show up in the store next week (according to Blogcast).
Edit: Beaten like mad.

Has anyone else noticed dark spots in the OLED screen during very low light output? For example, when booting Uncharted, with the medallion rotating on the bottom right of the screen. You have to be in a darker room, and the brighter the screen is set, the more easily it's seen.

It's definitely a flaw, it's just a matter of how common it is. If most of them have it I'll just live with it. I'm rarely able to see it anyway.

Akim

Banned
I think that Target deal along with Fifa being available is just enough to make me buy this now. I haven't owned a handheld since the DS lite.

iavi

I just got back from BB, demoed the Vita along with UC and Gravity 'Rush' (I prefer Daze but I'll take what I can get).

Verdict: Wow. What a well built piece of hardware. The sticks were a little loose, but nothing that got in the way of play, as they felt good still. The buttons were also a bit small, but they felt better in use than the psp's ever did. Screen was nuts, but the wow factor that I was hoping for wasn't there for me as I use a Galaxy Nexus on the daily--4.65~720p Amoled, still.

The OS seemed fast, but the demo unit wouldn't allow multi-tasking: actually closing each instance when returning to the menu. The real test will be when I get it, I guess.

UC looked great and controlled well from what I played, but it's UC and 3 let me down so I didn't spend too much time with it. I'm still getting over the divorce.

Gravity Daze on the other hand, was incredible, and will be the reason I get this system. The sound was turned off, so I didn't get a chance to take in the OST, but the game controlled great and the art style truly shone on the screen. Seriously, none of the screens posted here ever do it justice. Definitely a game made with the saturation of the oled in mind. A bit jaggy at times though.

---

I was going to wait till GD releases, but the build quality wowed a bit too much. I'll probably be trading my psp in along with a few games at BB to dampen the blow Sunday.

Has anyone else noticed dark spots in the OLED screen during very low light output? For example, when booting Uncharted, with the medallion rotating on the bottom right of the screen. You have to be in a darker room, and the brighter the screen is set, the more easily it's seen.

It's definitely a flaw, it's just a matter of how common it is. If most of them have it I'll just live with it. I'm rarely able to see it anyway.

That's OLED tech. Not a flaw. It's a feature.

newsguy

Yes it's inherent to the tech. There's been many pics taken of this since JP launch.

darkwing

it happens to my Samsung Galaxy S2 too

Cartman86

Banned
I just got back from BB, demoed the Vita along with UC and Gravity 'Rush' (I prefer Daze but I'll take what I can get).

Verdict: Wow. What a well built piece of hardware. The sticks were a little loose, but nothing that got in the way of play, as they felt good still. The buttons were also a bit small, but they felt better in use than the psp's ever did. Screen was nuts, but the wow factor that I was hoping for wasn't there for me as I use a Galaxy Nexus on the daily--4.65~720p Amoled, still.

The OS seemed fast, but the demo unit wouldn't allow multi-tasking: actually closing each instance when returning to the menu. The real test will be when I get it, I guess.

UC looked great and controlled well from what I played, but it's UC and 3 let me down so I didn't spend too much time with it. I'm still getting over the divorce.

Gravity Daze on the other hand, was incredible, and will be the reason I get this system. The sound was turned off, so I didn't get a chance to take in the OST, but the game controlled great and the art style truly shone on the screen. Seriously, none of the screens posted here ever do it justice. Definitely a game made with the saturation of the oled in mind. A bit jaggy at times though.

---

I was going to wait till GD releases, but the build quality wowed a bit too much. I'll probably be trading my psp in along with a few games at BB to dampen the blow Sunday.

For "apps" that weren't games? Like Friends list, trophies, settings etc? Games won't multitask.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
For "apps" that weren't games? Like Friends list, trophies, settings etc? Games won't multitask.

The Demo mode at retail doesn't let you return to a game if you jump out via the PS button- it restarts the game instead. And there's no apps during demo mode either. Kinda sucks if you want to try out the OS.

Ran rp

Yeah good luck with that... I've read NOTHING but scam reports from lockerz. They like to close accounts citing rules violations when people start to build up lots of points. I find it really hard to believe they are going to sell all these Vitas for $50 off just from you watching a few videos.

If you do receive one from them, please snap some pics of your Vita with the receipt :)

My Uncharted got here just fine.
PSY・S;35242334 said:
For Lockerz shoppers:

It shipped on the 15th and was delivered this morning. Sorry for the shitty webcam pic.

And now I wait for my Vita.

I'm sure I'll get my Vita too.

This thread would be much shorter if everyone read the OP and used the search feature. Must've seen the same fifty questions asked fifty times and answered a thousand times each.

What's the latest on BC with PSN PSP titles? Is everything on PSN playable on the PSV now? Or once it launches and gets a launch-window firmware patch?

Raine

PSY・S;35268348 said:
This thread would be much shorter if everyone read the OP and used the search feature. Must've seen the same fifty questions asked fifty times and answered a thousand times each.

Seriously

njean777

What's the latest on BC with PSN PSP titles? Is everything on PSN playable on the PSV now? Or once it launches and gets a launch-window firmware patch?

Anything on the Psvita store will run just fine, I am pretty sure all games on psn will run just fine on the vita though.

KalBalboa

Banned
PSY・S;35268348 said:

This launch is so all-over the place in good & bad ways. It's resulting in so many threads... one just for deals, one just for legacy updates... the Vita is bringing a lot to the table, so it really is no wonder people are posting so much.

But yeah, try the search sometime everybody.

Respawn

Banned
but if you let it go to sleep mode by itself by leaving it for minute (default setting) than the download still continues. pretty weird

It's not weird at all. I think Sony set it up that way because you may want to put the system in true standby mode. Allowing you to stop heavy battery consumption. Letting the system idle itself and continue the download makes sense.

VanWinkle

Anybody else really impressed with the battery life? It's way better than I thought it would be, and definitely better than the 3DS (which is already almost good enough for me).

Anybody else really impressed with the battery life? It's way better than I thought it would be, and definitely better than the 3DS (which is already almost good enough for me).

Yeah, pretty much all of us J-GAF were really pleasantly surprised with it. It still makes me really happy.

It's about what I expected. I wish it gave you a percentage indicator. Did I miss it somewhere?

Takuya

Banned

I've played mine a good amount and really haven't seen the battery drain that much. I'm surprised.

whitehawk

Banned
So, I finally tried out a demo unit. Got to quickly try Uncharted, Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf.

First impression was 'Holy shit this screen is big'. And so beautiful too. Puts my 3DS screen to shame. Uncharted is amazing, even though it's not native res, you can only tell in the screenshots. Absolutely amazing. And Wipeout. Holy shit. So amazing. It was almost the same as the PS3 version except it was running at 30fps :sadface:.

The analog sticks are amazing. So much better than the PSP stick. The build quality is fantastic on this device too. It's so thin, much thinner than my PSP-1000. They must have been able to save a lot of room without that stupid UMD drive.

Well, looks like I'm going to be buying a Vita soon lol.

Anyone playing Modnation Racers Road Trip? Any thoughts and/or impressions?

I'm finding for an arcade racer since Ridge Racer was delayed and I suck at Wipeout.

Argyle

3G: Near will activate GPS and save your location, and next time you connect to the net it'll show you the data from that location at that time. This is done even without 3G on and not connected to wifi.

Wifi: Near only works when you access a wifi hotspot.

Note that you don't have to actually associate/connect with a wifi hotspot, it just has to be in range for near to work.

Still can't believe Ridge Racer is missing launch. End of an era.

Honestly though, they waited until just this week to delay the game? They had to have known long ago it would not be ready for the 22nd. Production, distribution, etc, and you are going to tell me the plug was pulled just this week? I call bullshit. Would love to hear the story, or any official word from Namco for that matter.

VanWinkle

So, I finally tried out a demo unit. Got to quickly try Uncharted, Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf.

First impression was 'Holy s*** this screen is big'. And so beautiful too. Puts my 3DS screen to shame. Uncharted is amazing, even though it's not native res, you can only tell in the screenshots. Absolutely amazing. And Wipeout. Holy s***. So amazing. It was almost the same as the PS3 version except it was running at 30fps :sadface:.

The analog sticks are amazing. So much better than the PSP stick. The build quality is fantastic on this device too. It's so thin, much thinner than my PSP-1000. They must have been able to save a lot of room without that stupid UMD drive.

I completely agree with you about Uncharted (well, actually I agree with you on all of it, but specifically) because the screenshots bummed me out, but when I actually played it, it just looked fantastic. It may not be native res, but on the Vita it sure could've fooled me.

Honestly though, they waited until just this week to delay the game? They had to have known long ago it would not be ready for the 22nd. Production, distribution, etc, and you are going to tell me the plug was pulled just this week? I call bullshit. Would love to hear the story, or any official word from Namco for that matter.

I'm annoyed too, I was looking forward to some Ridge Racer. I heard the game didn't have much content, so they're pushing it to either include more cars/tracks, or they were giving out some sort of code to download the extra content for free.

I'm finding for an arcade racer since Ridge Racer was delayed and I suck at Wipeout.

If you can just hold out for Ridge Racer its probably a good idea. I think Mod Nation and Wipeout are two of those games that will be looked upon as "launch software" a year from now. Long load times and unstable framerates are not a good combination.

I'm also a big racing fan, but I've decided to wait it out for Ridge Racer.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So far am I correct in saying we've had ZERO impressions from GAF peeps on:

-Ben 10 Galactic Racing
-F1 2012
-Asphault: Injection

edit: not that I expect anyone to buy these, just curious. :p

iavi

The Demo mode at retail doesn't let you return to a game if you jump out via the PS button- it restarts the game instead. And there's no apps during demo mode either. Kinda sucks if you want to try out the OS.

Yeah, like chubigans mentioned, there are no extraneous apps, and the games just close when returning home; there's no jumping back into the state. Disappointing, but I actually saw enough to make my decision, so I can't say it hurt in this particular case, lol.

Isn't it? But it didn't get hot to the touch, and still felt like a premium device--something the go and 2000/3000 had tossed out the window completely.

I think I'm going to take one for the team and download Asphalt Injection when I get my Vita. It really didn't look bad when they played it on one of the GiantBomb vids. But I am also sad there's no Ridge Racer at launch. What the fucking fuck, Namco?

Georgious

Banned

Honestly, the handful of tracks and cars was so, so pathetic. It's a shame they've missed launch, but if a few extra months makes the offering more substantial it may be worth it for their bottom line

VanWinkle

So far am I correct in saying we've had ZERO impressions from GAF peeps on:

-Ben 10 Galactic Racing
-F1 2012
-Asphault: Injection

I don't see why anybody would buy those. I have to say, though, I kind of enjoyed the Asphault: Injection demo. Seems to handle solidly. However, it just seems laughable to buy it at such a ridiculous price. And the graphics, while they would look fantastic on an iPhone, just aren't up to snuff on the Vita. I may pick it up when it goes down to about 10 bucks, which it should have been in the first place.

RoylAsult

Modnations is an ok at best, just doesnt feel right. loads arent terrible compared to previous games but the racing its self feels a little choppy at times.

Wipeout is an awesome game, but hard, very hard (at least for me lol) but it does look amazing. Im a little sad that Ridge Racer was pushed back as well but it might be for the better of the game which is always nice

Weenerz

Banned
Allowing the machine to go to sleep by itself while downloading doesn't seem to use any battery life. I did it when it was full, left it sleep for over 5 hours and came back to a full battery still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom