• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Card Jockey (3DS) |OT| - Now the 3DS is EXTRA stable!

Lkr

Demo was insanely good, downloading the full version now. Even with 200mbps speed the eshop sucks

THIS GA ME - F**** LOVING IT !!!

It's so fun, addictive. Nintendo has a huge hit on their hands !

This is just mind boggling, solitaire paired with horse riding ! Everything is so fast and frenetic, your mind has to keep focus and concentrate.

The story and visuals are outstanding ! The paper book characters are so charming and full of personality, it's like a Paper Mario game !!! Oh, the sound music effects are very cool, just like going to the races. Everything about this game has so much spirit, so much attention to detail and their are tons of stuff I' havent done.
Completely agree! This should be on Wii U as well. Also wish it had online races.

Kaleo

Neo Member
Please someone send help, I can't stop playing this game! LOL

I'm so proud of this one, my third bred-in-house horse :)

BT4H5GK.jpg

Is there any reason to not rub the giddy-up button if you have remaining unity after drawing your line?

Tamanator

This game is brilliant. So addictive. I won't be able to rest until I win every single trophy. Though I do find it a little annoying that some races to begin with are simply impossible to win due to your horse being outclassed, no matter how good your solitaire play and tactics are.

Brakke

Banned
Is there any reason to not rub the giddy-up button if you have remaining unity after drawing your line?

I have also wondered this. The value carries over to the next puzzle, so if you suck on that one you might not have any unity available to move after it. So you might hold some back just in case? But if you screw up the puzzle so bad you get zero unity, you have worse problems than positioning after... That's all I've been able to figure out, anyway.

I have also wondered this. The value carries over to the next puzzle, so if you suck on that one you might not have any unity available to move after it. So you might hold some back just in case? But if you screw up the puzzle so bad you get zero unity, you have worse problems than positioning after... That's all I've been able to figure out, anyway.

If the mood of the horse is low you dont get as much energy, so maybe you save it for the next turn when your horse may have a better mood

Brakke

Banned
If the mood of the horse is low you dont get as much energy, so maybe you save it for the next turn when your horse may have a better mood

Oh yeah, I've done that, too. I think you cap out at 100 tho, so go ahead and rub some out if you're close to the peak.

Kaleo

Neo Member
Nice! Any idea how you got that strong advisor? I've only ever had weak skills.

Both parents had Advisor (Weak), so I suppose that's a way to obtain Strong skills on the offspring. Didn't tried with other weak skill pairs, though:

9qHYbM5.jpg

NdPlad8.jpg

Thud

Bought the game, gonna finish the demo and transfer the save data.

Now you're playing with power, horse power!

Bog

Junior Ace
I got dropped back to the menu after my horse matured. Now what?

Also, when I can draw the line but I'm already IN Comfort Zone 3, do I want to stay in Comfort Zone 3 or do I want to progress forward?

NoKisum

So what style of solitaire does this game use? I only know of Klondike and FreeCell (never played personally), but this looks like neither.

Bog

Junior Ace
So what style of solitaire does this game use? I only know of Klondike and FreeCell (never played personally), but this looks like neither.

The next card just has to be one card higher or lower than your current card.

I got dropped back to the menu after my horse matured. Now what?

You can go into Mature Mode to see if you can win more races with that horse, or start raising a new horse in Growth Mode.

Also, when I can draw the line but I'm already IN Comfort Zone 3, do I want to stay in Comfort Zone 3 or do I want to progress forward?

The arrows will show you where the comfort zone is likely to move, so you can use that as a guide for where to move to. At times there may be strategic reasons why you won't want to stay in Comfort Zone 3 - since there are more cards to clear in higher comfort zones, if your horse is in an iffy mood you may want to move to lower comfort zones and/or the outside of the track to keep from making your horse go runaway if you fail to clear a bunch of cards.

Worst thing about Advice Horse is when he's just plain wrong, which is constantly.

"Oh your problem was that you had a bad start..." fuck off horse, I had a perfect start, got the 5 bubble letter and did great on the first solitaire and everything.

"Your horse ran out of stamina in the home stretch, you may have seen him sweating..." uh no, it didn't, I didn't use any stamina cards because it was clear I wasn't going to win by using them up, and the horse never sweated once.

Brakke

Banned
One time advice horse gave me some advice and then said something like "... but honestly, you did good. Those other horses were just real tough." and then I loved him he's my cool nice friend.

max_505

Thanks for posting the qr codes for your horses here! I'd post one, but I've yet to get a foal with good stats.

Some of the horse names are hilarious. I wanted to name mine "Horsey McHorseface" but it doesn't fit.

octopiggy

Both parents had Advisor (Weak), so I suppose that's a way to obtain Strong skills on the offspring. Didn't tried with other weak skill pairs, though:

9qHYbM5.jpg

NdPlad8.jpg

Thanks for this. I notice they have the same peak times too. I remember reading that that's good for pairs too. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

How about the star? Know how you got that? Is it for winning 10 races maybe? I've never got one but my best is 9. My current horse has just hit 10 but not retired and no star yet.

MrPanic

Damn. Really wasn't planning on spending money on such a silly game, but there I was at the end of the demo just wanting more. I just couldn't resist buying this game.

I still don't really understand how to git gud at this game though, I get through the solitaire part just fine and think I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing on the field, but actually getting into a winnable position only seems to happen sporadically. Maybe it's just that seemingly awful second horse I had to ride for a while.

Garou

Worst thing about Advice Horse is when he's just plain wrong, which is constantly.

"Oh your problem was that you had a bad start..." fuck off horse, I had a perfect start, got the 5 bubble letter and did great on the first solitaire and everything.

"Your horse ran out of stamina in the home stretch, you may have seen him sweating..." uh no, it didn't, I didn't use any stamina cards because it was clear I wasn't going to win by using them up, and the horse never sweated once.

Getting any card fast is way more important than getting the 5-star-card at the start.

octopiggy

Getting any card fast is way more important than getting the 5-star-card at the start.

Yep. This is part of it. Also, he never pops up if you actually win the race. So at least there's that.

Anyone finished a puzzle yet? I wanna know what happens.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'll snatch this up after Uncharted 4. The demo was really good, and all the characters were kind of assholes which I found funny.

octopiggy

Cucurbitacée;202990867 said:
You'll get a bonus based on the picture. For example, if it's the picture of the shop, you'll get lower prices. If it's the picture of an owner, their horses will grow better.

Wow. Like permanently?

octopiggy

Cucurbitacée;202991285 said:
Yes, but unless you're insanely lucky, be prepared to get a lot (really, a lot) of doubles.

Ok. Do you know if you continue getting doubles for puzzles that you've already completed?

octopiggy

So here's where I am at the moment:

WVW69jMT5nIinYe7_o

This after my 7th horse - Blingin' Silver:

WVW69jMSuXQ1aUB0h9

My best horse yet. It had some really good skills and won 12 of 18 races (so 10 races doesn't get you a star). I feel like this is as far as I can take a horse until I figure out how to breed properly and finish puzzles.

All my best horses are related at the moment so I'm going to have to start a new family to avoid inbreeding. I think I'm going to have to start a family tree!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Questions for people who seem to be "getting" this game.

1) How do you train Speed and Stam, and how do they actually impact your horse?
2) What is Peak Time? I see the stats above me here saying 4-5, 3, 3-4, etc.
3) The S with the 4 arrows...What is that and how does it work?

Love this game, but it's a bit confusing at first!

Questions for people who seem to be "getting" this game.

1) How do you train Speed and Stam, and how do they actually impact your horse?
2) What is Peak Time? I see the stats above me here saying 4-5, 3, 3-4, etc.
3) The S with the 4 arrows...What is that and how does it work?

Love this game, but it's a bit confusing at first!

Press the Home button and read the manual, it's actually very useful for understanding this game.

Top Bottom