• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

TripleSun

She is awesome! I love when she shouts "Follow me, George!" and goes over to the receptionist.
Apparently she'll play a bigger role in BS5 again, she is even on the cover artwork.

Her niece in BS3 is also a very nice character.

Oh, didn't know her niece was in BS3, but I never paid much attention to that one. I'll get back to it though.

I love how in the journal he says "If only I was 100 years older.." Hahah. Good times. Glad she'll be back. Excited thinking what she'll do this time!

szaromir

Banned
I bought The Testament of Sherlock Holmes in a bundle several weeks ago and I've yet to play it; I noticed the game was released on PC and consoles, does it mean it's best played with controller or should I stick with kbm?

That bundle also has Finding Teddy; I never played it, but it's described by the devs as "The revival of Point'n-Click", . It has been Greenlit.
Looks interesting, I'll pick the bundle up.

Card Boy

Banned
I bought The Testament of Sherlock Holmes in a bundle several weeks ago and I've yet to play it; I noticed the game was released on PC and consoles, does it mean it's best played with controller or should I stick with kbm?

Good thing about it is it has 3 different ways of playing it and is changable on the fly

1) It has a direct control 3rd person mode, suitable for controllers
2) It has a first person mode similar to Tex Murphy, suitable for mouse and keyboard
3) It has a traditional point and click view, suited for mice.

Heres a sample of it looks like at Baker Street with all 3 camera modes.

testament-cameras.png

Hawkie

Looks interesting, I'll pick the bundle up.

Finished it a few months back. Very enjoyable. KBM is the way I played it and imo is the only way to play PnCs :)

What does this even mean?

A ridiculous overstatement and totally misplaced.

valouris

I tried playing the Testament and I really enjoyed the opening sequences, but I experience quite a few CTD's that ended up ruining the whole game so I put it down. Did you guys have the same experience? Have they released any patches that fixed this?

So I started up Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb today. It's one of the many p&c games that I never played back in the day due to lack of money, and since it's on gog I was quite excited to finally give it a try. Thirty minutes later and I've turned it off with no intention to ever play it again.

I had two major problems with it - the first being that npc's move around so fast it's a struggle to talk/give items to them. Now since I never played the original, it's possible this may be a problem with the interpreter in scummvm(which I used as dosbox was having a resolution problem), but I see no need to bother fiddling given the second problem - the game uses an snazzy isometric viewpoint, but then creates massive towns to walk around and search for items in. By the time I got to the underground rat town which took ten minutes to find the one guy I could speak to, I gave up.

One to give a miss, imo.

Hawkie

I tried playing the Testament and I really enjoyed the opening sequences, but I experience quite a few CTD's that ended up ruining the whole game so I put it down. Did you guys have the same experience? Have they released any patches that fixed this?

I never had any CTDs so can't comment any further than that. Sorry.

Still playing Dreamfall: The longest journey these days!

I was enjoying the game up to the point where i met
Crow
now it just got about 50% BETTER even, i LOVE his ridiculous banter :)

epmode

I finally got around to starting Primordia. I'm liking it a lot more than I expected after reading those early reviews. The art is great, the setting is interesting and even the writing is good. The sarcastic sidekick thing feels a little too much like other adventure games (especially since the voice actor is the same as Joey in the Blackwell games) but it's not a dealbreaker.

Crow

Dreamfall is a criminally underrated game. I guess it helps if you're into visual novels though.

TripleSun

Dreamfall is like my childhood. Loved that game so much and will need to replay it before Chapters comes out. Gripping storyline and the end had me on the end of my seat. I actually enjoyed it more than TLJ, but that's just me. I know a lot of people argued about the combat scenes in Dreamfall, but I honestly didn't care as much.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i wish they'd make an ipad version of dreamfall & tlj before chapters drops... or maybe re release them on ps4

TripleSun

^ Not sure they'd have the extra time/money to do that, but why not just replay it on PC? It's not like the requirements are high, lol.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Playing the 2nd Deponia game...

Rufus is such a dick...
I just finished the original and yes, he is. But the schmuck grows on you. Like a wart. A cool, talking, egotistical wart.

Such a loveable douchebag. But he's got some good in him, I just know it. Deeply hidden in that big cactusey heart of his, but it's there. Somewhere.

Really enjoyed my time on Deponia. Some really nice puzzles, too. Quite inventory heavy, but I like that. Almost all of them where pretty logical as well, which explains why I found the game to be quite tricky. This could verry well become a favorite.

I've got a lot more Adventure's on my steam account, just waiting to be clicked till the very end, but I doubt I'll be able to resist the call of the Rufus. Chaos and Goodbye, my wallet's most recent enemies.

Looking forward to Sjorsjee's newest adventure's in the Serpent's Curse, but the whole 3d character's thingy is a bit off a turn off. Ah well.

I just realised this is one of the few genre-specific megathreads here. That must mean it has the best fans :p

Crow

Dreamfall is like my childhood. Loved that game so much and will need to replay it before Chapters comes out. Gripping storyline and the end had me on the end of my seat. I actually enjoyed it more than TLJ, but that's just me. I know a lot of people argued about the combat scenes in Dreamfall, but I honestly didn't care as much.
If you have finished Dreamfall, you absolutely should watch the 10 hour stream developers commentary HERE. Very self aware and charming people, they are.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I can't seem to remember the name of an unreleased adventure game that was revealed a number of months ago.

All I recall is that the trailer was very impressive graphically, and it showed an android girl that resembled a doll, inside something that looked like a circus marquee in the middle of the desert.
No, I'm not crazy.

WTF, the TLG games are two of my all-time favourite P'n'Cs, how did I not know this existed?

Hehe, at least you know now :)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I can't seem to remember the name of an unreleased adventure game that was revealed a number of months ago.

All I recall is that the trailer was very impressive graphically, and it showed an android girl that resembled a doll, inside something that looked like a circus marquee in the middle of the desert.
No, I'm not crazy.

I know what you're talking about. There was a female android. Some caravan. But I can't remember the name! Great, that's the next 2 hours of my life about to go away searching for this.

Zaph

I struggled through the first one over a couple weeks hoping it would grow on me. Got up to the 'split personality' bit in the second game, just left it and uninstalled.

An unfunny game with really, really annoying characters.

No, I'm not crazy.

Was the game Cradle by any chance?

http://indiestatik.com/2013/07/17/cradle/

Think I may have mentioned it in here before, has like an android woman who is in pieces and you have to re assemble her in a tent.

I just realised this is one of the few genre-specific megathreads here. That must mean it has the best fans :p

If you have finished Dreamfall, you absolutely should watch the 10 hour stream developers commentary HERE. Very self aware and charming people, they are.

This may be a little off topic but I've been trying to install The Longest Journey on my PC for ages but the cutscenes just go all black when I play the game. Is there any fixes for it ?

Also I just realised that I bought and haven't even installed Primordia. Silly me.

Vlodril

i played it a few months ago didn't have any problems finishing it. Excellent game(if you like sherlock holmes that is).

Was the game Cradle by any chance?

http://indiestatik.com/2013/07/17/cradle/

Think I may have mentioned it in here before, has like an android woman who is in pieces and you have to re assemble her in a tent.

FOUND IT! EDIT: beaten by Family Fry, damn :p

Cradle Gameplay Trailer

Cradle Gameplay Trailer #2

Decided to make a GIF for it, so I remember in the future XD

ijCkoyu2QOMY8.gif

Thanks guys! I wasn't able to focus on anything else :D

And it looks so gorgeous, love that artstyle.

nny

Never knew about this game prior to today, but it looks really interesting. Not every day you see this kind of story!

Wonder if the Steam version will also have a 20% off time period, probably not. I don't even see it up on preorder there. Hope it trails along quickly after.

If you buy the game from Wadjet Eye you'll get a Steam key.

Fjordson

Wow, Shivah update looks nice. It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember liking it. Solid puzzles, very interesting story, if a bit on the short side (even by adventure game standards).

Great news about shivah, will pick it up once it hits gog. Somewhat ironic that I've been waiting to play the enhanced version for quite a while, and now I'll be skipping that for the super enhanced version.

epmode

I really want to see Dave Gilbert working on Blackwell...

Let go, friend.

The Shiva is awesome and the Wadjet Eye-produced games are impressive so the potential for another great property is there.

And fuck it, as much as I loved Lucasarts' sequels, the best part of that company was that they were constantly developing new IPs. I'd like to see Wadjet Eye try it too.

Is it silly to compare such a small operation to the gold standard of adventure games? I really like the Blackwell series!

TripleSun

Wow, Shivah update looks nice. It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember liking it. Solid puzzles, very interesting story, if a bit on the short side (even by adventure game standards).

How long did it run? I'm seeing places saying like an hour and a half. Wonder how much more time the new remake will add to it. Says it has three endings. Did it have that in the original?

Card Boy

Banned
Really am disliking Deponia i can only see 2 things good with it, the art style and the voice acting. It's one of those games that i feel like i am forcing myself to play because i paid for it.

This is all my opinion;

• Rufus is a annoying shithead and not in a good way like Guybrush Treepwood.
  • The support characters are all much better than Rufus.
  • The jokes are not funny
  • The pacing is terrible
  • I love puzzles in point in click games but Deponia's really detract from the experience and are often illogical.
  • The music is terrible, the clanking is driving me insane.
  • Alot of the time there are menu bugs where the you can't see half the dialogue options.

If i was to rate it 3.5 hrs in i would give it a 5 out of 10, I'm not buying the sequels based on what i've played so far. The only standouts for me have being the art style and voice acting.

Fjordson

How long did it run? I'm seeing places saying like an hour and a half.
Hmm. I can't remember exactly, it's been years since I've played it. That honestly doesn't sound too far off, though, it went by quickly. And not sure on the endings, I only played through it once.

That being said, I'd say it's definitely worth it for the $4 Wadjet Eye is asking from their site (with a Steam key).

nny

How long did it run? I'm seeing places saying like an hour and a half. Wonder how much more time the new remake will add to it. Says it has three endings. Did it have that in the original?

I can't tell you precisely, but that seems about right. The original already had the different endings (they depend on a choice you make near the end of the game).

Top Bottom