• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Roubjon

I just completed To the Moon and I guess I'd say it was enjoyable. Overall, I liked the story that was told, but I felt that the writing itself was unbelievable most of the time. There wasn't much to say about the gameplay, as all you did was click on one thing to activate a cutscene and then click on another thing to activate a cutscene, which was fine. I guess I expected more out of it, but oh well. It was definitely worth what I paid for it and I'm glad I played it.

Despera

Banned
Didn't see this one mentioned...

Stasis

feb2012-10.jpg

Synopsis:
Disoriented, drowsy and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. There is nothing to greet him but the static of a nearby monitor and a cold steel floor. Thick, green liquid covers the floor and then his body, leading to trail to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on…?

Stasis is an adventure game that puts you in control of John Maracheck, a man searching for his family in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you are required to solve puzzles and use objects around you to progress and to find Maracheck’s family.

Graphically, Stasis is fairly unique in the adventure game genre, opting for highly detailed isometric graphics, as opposed to the more classic ‘side on’ views of other adventure games. Richly detailed rooms and fluid animations create an immersive environment for the player to explore, with danger lurking in every shadow.

Here's a teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6sBsxf2YE

Gameplay vid 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGStY7iD9k
Gameplay vid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ILFgiYaRU

No release date has been specified, so it'll be out whenever it's ready. After all, only one man is working on this.

The Journey Down Chapter 1 has launched on Steam, currently has 20% off.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/220090

Also worth noting that some indie bundle (indie royale summer bundle being one of them) owners may get updates to their bundles including Steam code, so worth taking a look or hanging fire for now.

robotnik

The Journey Down Chapter 1 has launched on Steam, currently has 20% off.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/220090

Also worth noting that some indie bundle (indie royale summer bundle being one of them) owners may get updates to their bundles including Steam code, so worth taking a look or hanging fire for now.
If you’ve already got a copy of the game for PC, Mac or Linux, you can send us an email with your receipt and we’ll do our very best to get you a Steam key as soon as possible.
http://www.skygoblin.com/2013/journey-down-on-steam/

li bur

I've just tried out Dreamfall. I'm currently in chapter 5 and really loving the game so far.

One thing that I really like about dreamfall are its lore and themes. Any similar game recommendation gaf?

PolishQ

I've just tried out Dreamfall. I'm currently in chapter 5 and really loving the game so far.

One thing that I really like about dreamfall are its lore and themes. Any similar game recommendation gaf?

Have you played The Longest Journey?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I finished The Walking Dead a few days ago, which was probably the first P&C game I've ever completed (I played the old Monkey Island games once upon a time but never got very far since the puzzles were way too involved to hold my attention). I'm looking forward to Fables since that seems right up my alley (Telltale + comics = awesome), but are there any other similar games I should play in the meantime? I'll say right up front that I kinda care more about the story than the puzzles; if the puzzles are fantastic but the story is dull I will probably be too bored to finish it.

I also bought the following off Steam:
  • Broken Sword
  • Broken Sword 2
  • Broken Sword 3
  • Syberia
  • Syberia 2

I'm not sure whether I should play the Syberia games or Broken Sword games first. Which is better?

li bur

Have you played The Longest Journey?

I'd love to, but sadly I just can't get my hands on a copy of that one.

Edit: I live in asia and its kinda hard to get a physical copy of that one. But I just saw it on GoG. Thanks will try that out

I finished The Walking Dead a few days ago, which was probably the first P&C game I've ever completed (I played the old Monkey Island games once upon a time but never got very far since the puzzles were way too involved to hold my attention). I'm looking forward to Fables since that seems right up my alley (Telltale + comics = awesome), but are there any other similar games I should play in the meantime? I'll say right up front that I kinda care more about the story than the puzzles; if the puzzles are fantastic but the story is dull I will probably be too bored to finish it.

I also bought the following off Steam:
  • Broken Sword
  • Broken Sword 2
  • Broken Sword 3
  • Syberia
  • Syberia 2

I'm not sure whether I should play the Syberia games or Broken Sword games first. Which is better?

I liked broken sword 1 better than Syberia, but it was close. Syberia has a more interesting mythos IMO, but Broken Sword has relatable characters and a fun ambiance.

ShaneB

I'd love to, but sadly I just can't get my hands on a copy of that one.

Edit: I live in asia and its kinda hard to get a physical copy of that one. But I just saw it on GoG. Thanks will try that out

Oh my goodness, stop playing Dreamfall and play TLJ first! :p

Broken Sword games are immediately very charming adventures, the chemistry between George and Nicole is great, cool locations like the sleepy villages of England, and great music. It did Templars mythos before Dan Brown ever did. It's basically point-and-click Indiana Jones/Uncharted but with the characters never getting too chatty.

When is Chapter 2 intended to be released?

Devs are having a Q&A via Reddit right now, that question came up.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/169d9w/my_indie_game_the_journey_down_just_launched_on/

Thank you! Work on chapter two is moving along beautifully. We've got pretty much all locations designed, most puzzles in place and a large chunk of all dialog written. Major things still left to do is cinematics, animation and, well, implementation in general. Also we've barely begun the voice recording work which is a giant project. We are hoping to see chapter two go live during the summer of 2013, on all supported platforms so far.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I liked broken sword 1 better than Syberia, but it was close. Syberia has a more interesting mythos IMO, but Broken Sword has relatable characters and a fun ambiance.

Broken Sword games are immediately very charming adventures, the chemistry between George and Nicole is great, cool locations like the sleepy villages of England, and great music. It did Templars mythos before Dan Brown ever did. It's basically point-and-click Indiana Jones/Uncharted but with the characters never getting too chatty.

Thanks, I'll give Broken Sword a shot then before I start Syberia. About time too, my buddy has been bugging me about playing it for the better part of the past 10 years.

Theyhave planned 4 chapters of The Journey Down.
Speaking of which, it was interesting to read on the Reddit AMA about the reason they were not allowed on GoG.com.
Because they don't sell episodic games stand alone, have to be complete seasons.

The exact quote from Journey Down developer was..

We've been talking to the fine folks over at GOG, and it seems they're hellbent on not featuring any episodic titles, of which all episodes are not yet released. A perhaps understandable though regrettable way of doing things. I certainly hope to go live on GOG once all episodes are out, but frankly, who knows how long that's gonna take...

Fjordson

Kentucky Route Zero looks really neat. What are the system requirements like? Could I play it on a somewhat crappy laptop?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
beat the journey down chapter 1 and loved it. can't wait for more.

tried the last express and am having a little trouble getting into it. it's visually and audially stunning, but the looseness and nonlinearity of the whole thing is really throwing me off. i like more structure in my games :/

As far as adventure games coming out eventually, don't forget Wretcher.

http://www.wretcher.com/

wretcher.png

love these pixely horror looking adventure games.

i love that i can play these on my garbage pc, too.

Lint21

Neo Member
Kentucky Route Zero does look really neat. The GiantBomb Quick Look sold me for sure.

Isn't Steam fast-tracking admission for IGF finalists this year? It should be on Steam soon yeah?

Haven't heard anything just yet but in theory they have got instant admission to Steam via IGF. Think we just have to wait until they are ready to launch, on steam.
May be announced with the next greenlit titles though.
Really want to try it now though! alas I ain't got the cash. Payday is calling!

epmode

I sent an email to the developer of Kentucky Route Zaro and he said that he'd like to give Steam keys to anyone that buys from the official site. So I bought it.

It's really visual novelly so don't buy if you're looking for traditional adventure game stuff It's also surprisinly text adventurey, what with the occasional scene described entirely through text. Also: Very surreal, very interesting, very short. Worth playing.

Tizoc

So I've been playing Kaptain Brawe and so far I'm enjoying it. It's got a classic Monkey Island feel to it. Graphics are rather colorful and the humor is OK.

Didn't see this one mentioned...

Stasis

Synopsis:

Here's a teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6sBsxf2YE

Gameplay vid 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGStY7iD9k
Gameplay vid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ILFgiYaRU

No release date has been specified, so it'll be out whenever it's ready. After all, only one man is working on this.

I've been checking back on Stasis every now and then. I'm worried like I worry with most games like his that the updates are one day just going to stop coming. Best of luck to him.

I sent an email to the developer of Kentucky Route Zaro and he said that he'd like to give Steam keys to anyone that buys from the official site. So I bought it.

It's really visual novelly so don't buy if you're looking for traditional adventure game stuff It's also surprisinly text adventurey, what with the occasional scene described entirely through text. Also: Very surreal, very interesting, very short. Worth playing.
How short? That's been what's stopped me biting, so far: worrying its going to to be twenty minutes long.

epmode

Nothing like that. I didn't time it but it felt like 2-3 hours. I dug around for optional content though.

It stopped at a really good part!

Primordia (and all other Wadjet eye games that I have) is really buggy/glitchy, but otherwise has great atmosphere and takes me back.

With wadjet eye games, or perhaps it is an engine issue, I'm always bothered by the fact that the resolution is inconsistent. Background art often has different pixel density than foreground characters and objects, and it isn't a charming look.

epmode

With wadjet eye games, or perhaps it is an engine issue, I'm always bothered by the fact that the resolution is inconsistent. Background art often has different pixel density than foreground characters and objects, and it isn't a charming look.

I'd say that it's an Adventure Game Studio thing but the latest Blackwell game has all sorts of UI elements at 640x480 while the backgrounds are much lower. They didn't even try to disguise it. So maybe it's also an aesthetic choice?

Whatever the reason, I'd love to see Wadjet Eye move beyond AGS. I think they have a lot of potential.

In this we are brothers.

Hopefully WE will eventually blossom into a bigger company with the means for better technology to back up their talented artists and writers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
got around to finishing Machinarium

pros:
lovely graphics and sound direction, really charming story

cons:
suffers a bit from unclear puzzles, though the built in hint system is very good so that kind balances out

I somehow missed this but... is "the Cave" Double Fine's new adventure kickstarter project? Or is this game something else alltogether?

Also: It says "adventure" but judging from the trailer it looks more like a 2d Platformer in the vein of Trine or something.

iiicon

The Cave is the game Ron Gilbert has been working on at Double Fine. It's been in production longer than DFA, which comes out later this year. I'm not sure how much of a platformer the game is; from interviews Gilbert has been giving, he's describing it as a adventure game with jumping. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Tizoc

I somehow missed this but... is "the Cave" Double Fine's new adventure kickstarter project? Or is this game something else alltogether?

Also: It says "adventure" but judging from the trailer it looks more like a 2d Platformer in the vein of Trine or something.

It's not the kickstarter project as far as I know...

dreamfall

I want it so badly- one of my most anticipated this year~!

I've just been replaying Still Life. I love the atmosphere, but that Lockpicking puzzle made me remember why I only played it once. My goodness! Had to return to some FAQ to just get by it, and even then it felt like an arduous task.

Still, I've been getting nostalgic about life back when I played it years ago!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

It's Metroidvania meets DoTT, according to the press atleast :p
In no way whatsoever related to the DoubleFine Adventure Kickstarter project, this is something completely different.

Bit-Bit

Hey guys, I'm a PnC noob, looking for suggestions on some of the best of the genre. I've found my taste in gaming has changed now that I'm older. So what would be the top 5 games of the genre to play first?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hey guys, I'm a PnC noob, looking for suggestions on some of the best of the genre. I've found my taste in gaming has changed now that I'm older. So what would be the top 5 games of the genre to play first?
Random order:

- Monkey Island (Secret/Curse>LeChuck's Revenge. Forget about Escape and Tales)
- Day Of The Tentacle
- Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars (NOT the director's cut! It's kinda slow, but I like that. If it click, it's a delicious adventure)
- Full Throttle (See avatar. Short with some mini-games which shouldn't be there, but it's so awesome :D)
- Sam & Max (Hit The Road is great. Season 1 brought me to Adventure games. Didn't really like Season 2, did like 3. Episode 5 of s01 is fantastic, Reality 2.0)

I'm a LucasArts guy, as you can see. I'd recommend all the classics! (although I haven't played them all yet. I just know Zack and The Dig are great, too :p)

Currently playing Myst, truly fantastic game although I don't think i'd reccomend it to someone new in the genre.

Bit-Bit

Random order:

- Monkey Island (Secret/Curse>LeChuck's Revenge. Forget about Escape and Tales)
- Day Of The Tentacle
- Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars (NOT the director's cut! It's kinda slow, but I like that. If it click, it's a delicious adventure)
- Full Throttle (See avatar. Short with some mini-games which shouldn't be there, but it's so awesome :D)
- Sam & Max (Hit The Road is great. Season 1 brought me to Adventure games. Didn't really like Season 2, did like 3. Episode 5 of s01 is fantastic, Reality 2.0)

I'm a LucasArts guy, as you can see. I'd recommend all the classics! (although I haven't played them all yet. I just know Zack and The Dig are great, too :p)

Currently playing Myst, truly fantastic game although I don't think i'd reccomend it to someone new in the genre.

Awesome, I'll see which ones are on Steam and start with those. Thanks!

I'll keep up with this thread to see others impressions of some of the newer games.

BluWacky

Good lord, that's a tough question.

This list is very biased, because I don't really like first person games like Myst etc. These aren't necessarily my favourite games, but I think they're all pretty great and more importantly are easily available for digital download - many 90s point and click games are difficult to come by legitimately nowadays. I hope this gives you a good balance of games from different developers and with slightly different styles of puzzle and atmosphere.

i) The Secret of Monkey Island (available on Steam in a remastered Special Edition) - an absolute classic and one no-one should do without.
ii) Gabriel Knight : Sins Of The Fathers (available at GOG.com) - Sierra's best game out of all their titles, a satisfyingly complex occult detective story.
iii) The Longest Journey (available on Steam and GOG.com) - a bit wordy, and occasionally clunky puzzling, but the atmosphere and characterisation are what people remember about TLR and why it's regarded as one of the classics from the tail end of the original graphic adventure era.
iv) Gemini Rue (available in all sorts of formats, but particularly on Steam) - I'd say this is the most polished of the wave of indie adventure games in recent years and gives you a taste of where the indie community has been going.
v) Machinarium - absolutely charming and beautifully presented, the gameplay here is much closer to the atmosphere-and-logic puzzles that characterise the first person adventures I'm not so fond of, but I love this game to bits.

Top Bottom