• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Nah, I don't think anyone who pays attention to what Nintendo does really believes in a stand-alone console with no handheld component or compatibility whatsoever.

Handheld compatibility or a handheld model is not mutually exclusive from a PS4-like console.

There's a huge contingent of people who really believe that's what NX will be - a PS4-like console, which will be followed up by a handheld that plays all the same games.

The other alternative only being a handheld that plugs into the TV never seemed like the only possible solution to me either, especially since I feel people assume that is the only form a "hybrid" can take but it doesn't even sound very hybrid-like to me. It sounds like a handheld with a TV-out, and that's even before getting into the idea of whether it is powerful enough to also pump up the resolution/performance for Full-HD TV gaming while also being able to have reasonable handheld battery life.

When it's plugged into a TV, it's for all intents and purposes a home console.

And it won't be running on battery when it's plugged into the TV, either.

mainline pokemon for console = instabuy
dWlu6Eo.jpg

fossi8

Coming from a GameSpot interview with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot...

"The new Nintendo [console] is a fantastic machine. It's really a new approach, it's really Nintendo, [which is] coming with something new again. We love it.
We always take disruptions on the positive side. We think each time that it's an opportunity for our creators to take more risks. When a machine is installed, there are a certain number of brands that take up the time of players, so they're going to buy the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

Even if they say, 'I'm interested in what you're doing,' at the end of the day they first buy what they know, then go somewhere else. When they change machines, they consider that it is better to try what has been done for that machine. This gives us an opportunity to totally change an IP that we have done before, or to create new experiences and new IPs.

What we see is, players are more open when new hardware is coming. So we have the chance to come with something we have never done before, because we know that if we are the first there, people will try our game and maybe we'll be able to get into that new genre. As our people wanted to do a game like ZombiU, they were happy they could just use the Wii U to do it.For us, a machine is a tool of expression, but when everything become stable it's less open to innovation. We always want innovation.

However, if you try something a little new and it's not perfect, you come back quickly to what you know and works. As a gamer, if you change to new hardware, you have no references, so you're looking at what people are saying are [the best games] and then trying them. But if you have an [established] machine and there's all the experiences you know on there already, you know you're going to miss some of those to try something new, so you're less inclined. For us, we know opportunities to try something new are a lot more rewarding when it's a new machine."

Ubisoft's CEO also once again confirmed that they are "working on some [other] projects" for NX, but wouldn't give specifics.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"The new Nintendo [console] is a fantastic machine. It's really a new approach, it's really Nintendo, [which is] coming with something new again. We love it.

I can't wait to see this turned into "but NX can still launch as a family of perfect classic console and perfect classic handheld that just share the same games".

Edit: also practically confirming that NX won't get the classic big western sellers so it's an opportunity for new ideas.
Edit2: reading the article again, maybe it's not that clear about the classic western sellers.

Snakeyes

Technically, the rumored NX already supports different form factors.

It's telling that Iwata departed from using the term "devices" or "systems" or "platforms" when he started to talk about the possibility of even more form factors. He says that historically, it was difficult to support many different form factors because each form factor had its own architecture, and they'd have shortages if they tried to support them all. But maybe that's not the case anymore, partly because one device can do the job of multiple form factors?

No, a form factor still refers to a single class of device. For example, 2-in-1s are considered as a distinct form factor from laptops and tablets despite adopting characteristics from both. Also, Iwata might have been sly, but he doesn't have Kubo "Who said the Espada are numbered from 1 to 10?" Tite writing his speeches to investors. You don't talk about families of systems and quickly iterating on hardware like Apple and Android OEMs if your only intention is to have one "thing" for consumers to buy for the foreseeable future.

I think people may have gone too far into the "Well, you see, Iwata said the form factors *might increase*, he never specifically said they would!" line of thinking from that Emily Rogers article. Which is par for the course after the "Iwata said it *won't* be a hybrid!" crowd got a little too loud and preachy over the past year or so (which I admittedly was a part of).

Whether there will be other types of Nintendo game devices in the future, or if more powerful iterations on the NX's hybrid form factor is all we'll be getting is not something we can deduce based on Iwata's comments.

I can't wait to see this turned into "but NX can still launch as a family of perfect classic console and perfect classic handheld that just share the same games".

The "new genres" comment is what clinches it for me.

That strongly leans toward some kind of non-traditional UX.

No, a form factor still refers to a single class of device. For example, 2-in-1s are considered as a distinct form factor from laptops and tablets despite adopting characteristics from both. Also, Iwata might have been sly, but he doesn't have Kubo "Who said the Espada are numbered from 1 to 10?" Tite writing his speeches to investors. You don't talk about families of systems and quickly iterating on hardware like Apple and Android OEMs if your only intention is to have one "thing" for consumers to buy for the foreseeable future.

I think people may have gone too far into the "Well, you see, Iwata said the form factors *might increase*, he never specifically said they would!" line of thinking from that Emily Rogers article. Which is par for the course after the "Iwata said it *won't* be a hybrid!" crowd got a little too loud and preachy over the past year or so (which I admittedly was a part of).

Whether there will be other types of Nintendo game devices in the future, or if more powerful iterations on the NX's hybrid form factor is all we'll be getting is not something we can deduce based on Iwata's comments.

Of course a 2-in-1 form factor is distinct from a tablet or laptop.

A 2-in-1 takes components from both and lets you use it in either configuration. And the result, when combined, is a distinct form factor from what either is alone.

But if NX is a device that supports many different hardware configurations, why wouldn't that be many different form factors, even if the idea's a category unto itself? After all, when you use the device as a portable with the controls attached, that's a completely different configuration than when you place the device on the dock and play on the TV with the controls standalone.

Also, I don't think anyone feels like Nintendo's going to only have one device. The question is what jobs those devices will do, and what forms they will take. There are certainly lots of different ways they could handle unique hardware designs beyond the one we've heard about, including the various screenless systems that routinely show up in patents.

Oregano

The more interesting thing about the Guillemot interview is the implication that Ubisoft will have something new at launch.

rtrbad

Banned

We always take disruptions on the positive side. We think each time that it's an opportunity for our creators to take more risks. When a machine is installed, there are a certain number of brands that take up the time of players, so they're going to buy the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

Even if they say, 'I'm interested in what you're doing,' at the end of the day they first buy what they know, then go somewhere else. When they change machines, they consider that it is better to try what has been done for that machine. This gives us an opportunity to totally change an IP that we have done before, or to create new experiences and new IPs.

What we see is, players are more open when new hardware is coming. So we have the chance to come with something we have never done before, because we know that if we are the first there, people will try our game and maybe we'll be able to get into that new genre. As our people wanted to do a game like ZombiU, they were happy they could just use the Wii U to do it.For us, a machine is a tool of expression, but when everything become stable it's less open to innovation. We always want innovation.

However, if you try something a little new and it's not perfect, you come back quickly to what you know and works. As a gamer, if you change to new hardware, you have no references, so you're looking at what people are saying are [the best games] and then trying them. But if you have an [established] machine and there's all the experiences you know on there already, you know you're going to miss some of those to try something new, so you're less inclined. For us, we know opportunities to try something new are a lot more rewarding when it's a new machine."

Ubisoft's CEO also once again confirmed that they are "working on some [other] projects" for NX, but wouldn't give specifics.

Does this not hint at those things that "Have been done before" appearing on the NX? That they try what's already been done and also have the opportunity to try something new?

I may be reaching a bit, it's a bit of a convoluted statement.

ggx2ac

The "new genres" comment is what clinches it for me.

That strongly leans toward some kind of non-traditional UX.

This is what I said before what could happen with Just Dance 2017, NX as a hybrid, when it is docked, Wii remote controllers for local multiplayer. When in portable mode, you play the game solo using the touchscreen.

That's what you can do having new ideas with a hybrid compared to separate handheld and home console.

Discomurf

"This gives us an opportunity to totally change an IP that we have done before, or to create new experiences and new IPs"

Rabbids NX confirmed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does this not hint at those things that "Have been done before" appearing on the NX? That they try what's already been done and also have the opportunity to try something new?

I may be reaching a bit, it's a bit of a convoluted statement.

Not really. The idea is that when a new console launches, people always say "yeah, we will try the new ideas and new games" but end up still buying the classic best sellers. But when Nintendo cause "disruption" by bringing something new to the table the new ideas have a chance to actually sell better
also because the classic sellers won't be there

I think this warrants a new thread, tbh.

Snakeyes

Of course a 2-in-1 form factor is distinct from a tablet or laptop.

A 2-in-1 takes components from both and lets you use it in either configuration. And the result, when combined, is a distinct form factor from what either is alone.

But if NX is a device that supports many different hardware configurations, why wouldn't that be many different form factors? After all, when you use the device as a portable with the controls attached, that's a completely different form factor than when you place the device on the dock and play on the TV with the controls standalone.

That makes it a form factor designed to function in different settings/controller configs, but it's still one distinct form factor. It's the form factor of a "portable console that can also be played on a TV with detachable controllers".

ggx2ac

I don't know, but this is a re-confirmation that we're talking about a single hardware here, after all :p

But I was told after seeing a lot of goalpost moving that it had to be a handheld and home console coming out at launch because somehow sharing software is a better new concept compared to being a hybrid.

That makes it a form factor designed to function in different settings, but it's still one distinct form factor. It's the form factor of a "portable console that can also be played on a TV with detachable controllers".

*shrug*

I know what you're getting at, but I'm not convinced that we can't consider each configuration of the device as a distinct form factor, too. The process they're going to need to make that work is actually form factor detection, not feature detection. Developers even refer to the different operating modes of existing convertibles as "form factors."

We need disruptions for us to continue growing and expanding our limitations, until we no longer can anymore. How would we have got to this point in life, pertaining to both video games and reality, if people and companies like Nintendo didn't think outside of the box? I hope we never get to the point where companies refuse to challenge the norm and go in a different direction than what everyone else is trying to do, because it'll be a sad time if it happens.

That's really what I love about Nintendo and of course their games, but the innovation that they try to achieve with each new console is admirable even if they don't fulfill the dreams of what we expected from the consoles to begin with.. I hope, especially with the quotes for Ubi, that this console really makes us question the video game console tradition and makes us think of new and crazy ways to push gaming into the next generation of experiences, alongside VR and AR.

Top Bottom