• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MikeMyers

5th gen competitive metagame has quite a few notable Grass types:
~ Celebi
~ Roserade
~ Abomasnow
~ Ferrothorn
~ Breloom
~ Venusaur

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's so good about Jumpluff?

1. It's Adorable.
2. It's extremely, ridiculously fast (for a low tier grass type)
3. It's even faster in the sun. (for...well, anything)
4. It can learn U-Turn.
5. It can sleep powder and leech seed, then hide behind a substitute.
6. Have you seen how adorable it is?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ixnay on the adorable...well it's too adorable. I always skipped it because it seemed crummy in game.

Funny thing is its early Johto competition is the grass starter (who is also adorable) the boring but steady Bellsprout and the KING OF ALL SHITTY GRASS TYPES.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

155px-192Sunflora.png

Stage On

Hey, here's a crazy idea: what if next Gen, instead of Gym Leaders sticking to one type they built their team around a specific theme? Here are some examples:

Leader Melody (Team: Chatot, Loudred, Kirlia, Ludicolo)

Leader Gorge (Team: Snorlax, Vanilluxe, Swalot, Tropius, Crawdaunt)

Leader Morpheus (Ditto, Castform, Kecleon, Cherrim, Zen Darmanitan)

Leader Narcolepta (Hypno, Jigglypuff, Musharna, Snorlax)

Something like that.

I'd love if they did that but sadly I really doubt they'd change the formula that much :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tropius was always an amazing HM slave and now has a hilarious "infinite combo" with Harvest. Good luck getting it off though.

Tropius is fine in my book.

Sunflora, while I dig it's design, is, was, and always will be terrible. That's not to say that with Choice Specs+The Sun+Trick Room+Solar Power+Solar Beam you can't do a ridiculous amount of damage (YOU CAN!) but good luck getting that all done and keeping him alive.

Paras, who I just used in Fire Red, sucks royally. But then you remember that it learns spore at level 28 in gen three and beyond and you start to forgive it. It's still annoying that no matter which game he is in you can't get false swipe on it without breeding.

MikeMyers

I used Vileplume in Platinum. Sunny Day, SolarBeam, Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder. For some reason the AI never switches in a Steel type once Sunny Day is up.

I was thinking about using Sunny Day Vileplume in Leaf Green, but it turns out it was a Fire Red exclusive.

Firestorm

My friend used Sunflora in 2010. Another friend used Parasect in 2010 and then everyone picked up that it is incredibly useful under Trick Room in a metagame dominated by Kyogre.

Also, if you wanna see a grass type kickin' ass, look no further than Lileep!

Stage On

Speaking of grass types I've got a lv 5 Bulbasaur ready to go which I used TM's to loadout with a good starting moveset.

Energy Ball
Toxic
Sludge Bomb
Venoshock

I'm trying to take advantage of it's Poison type a bit more but I'll probably switch out Sludge bomb for a different move later on, Any suggestions?

MikeMyers

Speaking of grass types I've got a lv 5 Bulbasaur ready to go which I used TM's to loadout with a good starting moveset.

Energy Ball
Toxic
Sludge Bomb
Venoshock

I'm trying to take advantage of it's Poison type a bit more but I'll probably switch out Sludge bomb for a different move later on, Any suggestions?

Giga Drain has 5 less points than Energy Ball but it also packs recovery. Earthquake can maim Heatran on the switch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Since I am bored I'm looking at the entire list of Grass types and will divide them into a few different groups. This isn't serious tier shit but it does come from a pro who has used far too many grass types when he really should have just benched them.

Boring Grass Types.

Victreebel. Enough said. Was originally the king of Growth.
Bellossom - Yeah it's kinda cute. It's got a bad movepool and you know who else is kinda cute and better? Vileplume!
Carnivine - If not for the anime he'd have to go in the catagory of so boring I forget it exists.
Simisage - It's actually useful like most of these other boring pokemon, but it gets less so as it goes along.

Adorable but not terribly good:

Jumpluff: He's useful, don't get me wrong (you can even surprise the fuck out of people using this in competitive battles) but its stats are LOW.
Cherrim: Is sooo cute, especially in the sun. You only ever see this on novelty double/triple battle teams though.
Maractus: Borderline between boring and adorable.

Middle of the Road:

Vileplume: It's cute, it's got some moves. It tends to die alot for whatever reason, it's in a lot of games.
Exeggutor: Is awesome, but not awesome enough. It can really shine in the right circumstances.
Meganium: Borderline adorable but not good, borderline boring if you don't find it cute. It's mainly brought down by being the second worst starter in his generation if you consider the makeup of the gym leaders.
Sceptile: Like Exeggutor, has seen better days when his best moves all ran off of special. Still really good.
Cacturne: Is fun but is now overshadowed by the other hoenn grass types including the other Grass/Dark!
Cradily: Almost belongs in its own tier of obscure pokemon that are impossible to kill. Sometimes I even forget just what grass/rock is weak to!
Lilligant: is the Beeheym of the gen V grass types.
Sawsbuck: Is fun and cool looking, and one of the few waiting for new moves to bust out of this grouping.

Cream of the Crop:

Venusaur: I love this fucker even when it wasn't good. Huge ass movepool, can do anything!
Celebi: Adorable, extremely rare in the US/EUR, we missed almost all of the events that released him. It's super Exeggutor.
THE REST OF THE HOENN GRASS TYPES: Ludicolo used to be the only good one, now the rest of them (Roserade, Shiftry, Breloom, and Tropius) all have their places on any in game team or most fun battle teams. What a difference the special/attack split and a bunch of new moves/an evolution did.
Torterra: Arguably the worst gen four starter (easily the worst competitively) is still a great pokemon with a cool design.
Abomasnow: Great design, great name, interesting type with the customary grass/anything huge pile of weaknesses.
Tangrowth: Defensive wall. Has some hilarious in game movesets and is decent in spots competitively.
Leafeon: Yes, it has no move pool. It's also king of Leaf Blade. I love this thing. You could make a case for boring, but I love it and it's my list.
Rotom Lawn Mower: Just look at that thing. C'mon son.
Shaymin: Either flavor is good. Regular one may suck in comparison but it has a case for cutest pokemon, let alone cutest grass type. Skymin is dorky looking.
Serperior: I like its odd combination of stats. Needs better moves though, B2/W2 helps, but not enough. Contrary will be fun.
Whimsicott: Prankster, that adorable fluffyness, who could say no? Kinda fun in game, shines in battles.
Amoonguss: This pun is too good. The only defensive spore user. Enough said.
Ferrothorn: Is Ferrothorn. Completely shamed the hell out of Foretress and stole Bronzong's lunch money.
Virizion: Shitty wireless but better than AT&T. FIOS owns. Also is special Breloom with worse movepool and abilities.

Bug/Grass Tier.

Leavanny: King/Queen/God Emperor/Empress of Bug/Grass Pokémon. It's actually usable despite the problems of this unholy paring.
Parasect: Is a zombie, it learns spore. I leveled one to level 80 something in Fire Red a few months back and things still went first and killed it. Still, it's a ZOMBIE MUSHROOM.
Wormadam: Count of hands: How many people in this thread forgot completely about this form? I thought so.

King of Shit Mountain:

Sunflora: Sunflora blows. Especially in Gen 2. I hate the thing. It's goofy stat distribution, It's weird first form, it's terrible movepool. Yes it can now technically kill everything with the right setup, but who can't? I do sort of like its design though.

So Awesome I Get to Mention it Twice:

Tropius: Alongside Mew, Golduck, Smeargle and a few others is an insanely useful HM Slave. Plus it has a cool Banana waddle thing and it's stats outside of speed really aren't that bad. I love this fucker.

Busaiku

Why are most of the cutest, fully evolved (if they can evolve) Pokemon Grass.
It's the reason why I shaped my life around liking Grass types.

Eh I find a lot of the cutest Pokemon are the first forms at least.

Good grief...why does Sharpedo have such a terrible movelist when it comes to leveling? Seems pretty shoddy (About as bad as his defense. Does he even have any?)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Today is the day. The day is today where I will thwart this "unbreakable body" poison team to oblivion with the power of a nice Drizzle to the face and "fantastic technique"

Have at you.

Ferrothorn is so great. Single-handedly pulled me through my White 2 playthrough.

EDIT: Right, the League begins in the anime on November 22nd. It's the first time that we're getting a League in the anime without any further games being announced, so what happens next is up in the air. I'm betting on either a Black Tower/ White Treehollow or a Pokemon World Tournament arc.

I just started playing Soul Silver, I haven't really played Pokemon seriously since Crystal. I got into Diamond a little bit but it didn't pull me in like the old games. So I'm kind of out of the loop as to how everything works, but I was wondering if anyone could possibly hook me up with a Charizard or Squirtle? I love both of them but I don't even remember if they are obtainable in the G/S/C games.

Stage On

Ferrothorn is so great. Single-handedly pulled me through my White 2 playthrough.

EDIT: Right, the League begins in the anime on November 22nd. It's the first time that we're getting a League in the anime without any further games being announced, so what happens next is up in the air. I'm betting on either a Black Tower/ White Treehollow or a Pokemon World Tournament arc.

Filler, lots and lots of filler

If they brought back old characters...I don't know who I'd be interested in seeing. Maybe Steven? More Homika would be cool...there are a few others I wouldn't mind seeing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure they are gonna have ash win and end the series in two months.

Or you know, another orange islands fiasco.

Busaiku

Team Plasma still has not been introduced yet.
I mean Pikachu and Axew aren't in their Pokeballs, they could probably have a big deal with N and whatnot.

Top Bottom