• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

xm3Xc.png

You're that tiny sliver of orange! And that's with 48 posts. That mess of white at the end is where all of the 1 post people start blending into each other. Haha.

Hmm... Maybe this time around I'm going to post a whole lot to get any remote chance of actually ending up listed in the chart. Mwehehehehe!

*becomes a Turtwig plushie*

Poke Balls? What fun.

Moaradin

Last Pokemon game I played was Soul Silver. I used to love everything Pokemon, from the games to the anime. For some reason I have the itch to go back to it. I haven't played the last 2 gen games(diamond/pearl and black/white).

Should I skip right to black/white, or is it worth playing diamond/pearl before?

Last Pokemon game I played was Soul Silver. I used to love everything Pokemon, from the games to the anime. For some reason I have the itch to go back to it. I haven't played the last 2 gen games(diamond/pearl and black/white).

Should I skip right to black/white, or is it worth playing diamond/pearl before?

Skip to Black 2/White 2 so when they come out in October you can join the rest of us with everything all fresh and new!

Kokonoe

Banned

Each Pokemon game is distinct, so it's up to you really.

Black and White, easily.

Never play Diamond and Pearl. Platinum, sure, that's a wonderful game, but DP is like pulling teeth. So slow.
It's a direct sequel to black/white though, isn't it? Wouldn't I benefit from playing those games before hand?
They're not essential, but I reckon you'll get more enjoyment if you play BW first.

Also, the original's "only new Pokemon" concept is probably far more effective at getting people into Gen V than B2W2's mix of old and new. And the endgame is the best of any of the games. It can't be missed.

Frost_Ace

The new thread title is fine. The reaction is perfect because it parallels the introduction of a new generation of Pokémon! Everyone freaks out, claims it is the end, and cries Game Freak Andrex is creatively bankrupt. We will learn to accept the change, like always.

The last thread's top 10 posters accounted for almost half of the posts. Haha.

DA3U5.png

I'm the 11th one right?

how do you even check the top posters in non-mobile gaf?

Also, the original's "only new Pokemon" concept is probably far more effective at getting people into Gen V than B2W2's mix of old and new. And the endgame is the best of any of the games. It can't be missed.
Yeah, that's the obvious point I missed; these are bloody good games, and they deserve to be played.

Wiseblade

Although I do with GF hadn't given the the roggenrola line (ie the thing that replaces geodude and show up just as frequently) Sturdy...

Although I do with GF hadn't given the the roggenrola line (ie the thing that replaces geodude and show up just as frequently) Sturdy...

Actually, I like that, since it means almost always a guaranteed capture and I can use SE moves for the first move without worrying.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still think that playing any of RS/DPP/BW is enough to have an "entry" into the series. Newer games don't necessarily make older games horrible.
There's plenty of things in previous games that aren't in newer ones. As I said, each are distinct.

I still think that playing any of RS/DPP/BW is enough to have an "entry" into the series. Newer games don't necessarily make older games horrible.

Of course, but BW are just that good. Also, if you're going to play BW2 anyway, BW are the obvious companion to that.

I love the Roggenrola line so much. One of my favourite moments in a Pokemon game was taking down Grimsley's Krookodile with some preapplied poison, a lv. 4 Roggenrola and a hell of a lot of Potions.

Frost_Ace

There's plenty of things in previous games that aren't in newer ones. As I said, each are distinct.

After BW, gen IV has become unplayable for me. Gen III is still fine though
especially on the micro <3

It's not unfair to point out that, unlike RSE and particularly unlike DPPt, Black and White were explicitly targeting a new or lapsed audience. There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from going back to the older games if they like BW.

And, yes, BW are better than those games. =p

Kokonoe

Banned
Of course, but BW are just that good. Also, if you're going to play BW2 anyway, BW are the obvious companion to that.

Black and White 2 is more of an expansion to the last game, like Sonic & Knuckles. And the story of Pokemon won't leave you "missing" anything, although if they do have content where you must own the previous game, that is a good reason yes.

I won't however say that playing Black and White over Diamond and Pearl or vice versa is going to be the proper thing. You won't miss out on much at all unless for that sync thing. Each one should be played, it doesn't matter how you do it.

Black and White 2 is more of an expansion to the last game, like Sonic & Knuckles. And the story of Pokemon won't leave you "missing" anything, although if they do have content where you must own the previous game, that is a good reason yes.

I won't however say that playing Black and White over Diamond and Pearl or vice versa is going to be the proper thing. You won't miss out on much at all unless for that sync thing. Each one should be played, it doesn't matter how you do it.

Indeed, but Diamond and Pearl seems to be a very poor choice. I'd rather suggest Platinum. Not to mention DP being non-canon

*Oshawott time!*

I agree that they should all be played, but you're missing that Black and White are a simpler taster course than Diamond and Pearl.

Also, Diamond and Pearl are unplayable. Platinum is the only way to play.

HELL.

YEAH.

Indeed. All the microloading >.<

I wonder whether that face will stick, huh?

Kokonoe

Banned
Actually, I'll put up my own tip as a suggestion.

If you're looking to explore, play Diamond and Pearl first.

If you're looking for fast battling with animated sprites, play Black and White first.

I prefer Platinum but really either are fine. B/W are a sort of refined, new start kind of deal while D/P/Pt are meatier games, kinda serving as a culmination everything in the series had built towards at that point. So it really depends on which of those sound more appealing.

Top Bottom