• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Hmm...

gmTXVpO.gif

I may as well try my luck here first since I assume PokeGAF is split in between this and the ORAS OT. I'm looking for 3 Pokemon to start working on my dream team. They're a bit of a tall order, but if anyone has them I'd be grateful. I don't really have many things to offer though...

-A Contrary Snivy
-A Reckless Tepig with Sucker Punch or Superpower (Sucker Punch moreso, but both would be great!)
-A Motor Drive Emolga with Air Slash and Roost

Thanks in advance!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That was a great episode, also Charmeleon should have been split in half with what Fletchinder did. Also dat Moltres cry.

Also damn, Talonflame is BIIIG.

vuLpPes.jpg

Next-next week's ep (yeah no ep next week) is a Bonnie ep feat. Tyrunt (who evolves into Tyrantrum). For fuck's sake Iris even Bonnie can evolve a Dragon type Pokemon she doesn't even own!

And I can already feel the feels on that ep. Gonna be sad when Bonnie has to leave it :/

Also it seems Bonnie's VA is different, probably this was made during maternity leave.

ash_ag

So, I discovered two more Pokémon apps that have gone unnoticed.

FdcvJXF.jpg

Pokémon Movie Playback: The History
(ポケモン映画プレイバック・ザ・ヒストリー)
by The Pokémon Company
Sources: 1, 2, 3

D38i7mJ.png

Enjoy Pokémon Movie Information with your Voice (or something)
(こえでたのしむポケモン映画情報)
by Yahoo JAPAN
Sources: 1, 2, 3, Video

Both of them were in both the App Store and Google Play Store. I'm kind of surprised the History app went unnoticed, since it was released days after Say? Tap, apparently. Unfortunately, these aren't available to download anymore. :(
Just kidding. That's not unfortunate at all. :p

Joe, I think you'll eventually have to make some kind of separation in the Serebii section between the TPC proper apps and the crappy throwaway apps.
I bet they'll keep on coming :p

Edit:
And sure enough, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/kmTCgsb.png
Google Play

http://i.imgur.com/nFhxpum.png
Google Play

These are just themes, I think. I don't know how they even got the license to release them when the Style app exists.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I watched World championship final, the match was fun to watch.

That was a great episode, also Charmeleon should have been split in half with what Fletchinder did. Also dat Moltres cry.

Also damn, Talonflame is BIIIG.

vuLpPes.jpg

Next-next week's ep (yeah no ep next week) is a Bonnie ep feat. Tyrunt (who evolves into Tyrantrum). For fuck's sake Iris even Bonnie can evolve a Dragon type Pokemon she doesn't even own!

And I can already feel the feels on that ep. Gonna be sad when Bonnie has to leave it :/

Also it seems Bonnie's VA is different, probably this was made during maternity leave.

Man Talonflame looks so cool.

Raichu is crying in a corner somewhere.

GF should just put in a new Pikachu form with increased base stats like they did for Floette-E.

q9UYS2R.gif

Raichu was doomed the moment Pikachu refused to evolve.

Busaiku

And then they did the episode again in Sinnoh.
This time a Raichu with all its moves.

I imagine next gen, there'll be a Raichu episode where magically knows Bolt Strike, Extremespeed, Earthquake, and Volt Tackle, and it still gets beaten by Pikachu.

Xenoboy

Can someone explain to me why Pokémon are at lv 50 in tournament settings and not 100?
The games lowers and increases levels to 50, so I know there has to be a reason.

JoeM86

So, I discovered two more Pokémon apps that have gone unnoticed.

FdcvJXF.jpg

Pokémon Movie Playback: The History
(ポケモン映画プレイバック・ザ・ヒストリー)
by The Pokémon Company
Sources: 1, 2, 3

D38i7mJ.png

Enjoy Pokémon Movie Information with your Voice (or something)
(こえでたのしむポケモン映画情報)
by Yahoo JAPAN
Sources: 1, 2, 3, Video

Both of them were in both the App Store and Google Play Store. I'm kind of surprised the History app went unnoticed, since it was released days after Say? Tap, apparently. Unfortunately, these aren't available to download anymore. :(
Just kidding. That's not unfortunate at all. :p

Joe, I think you'll eventually have to make some kind of separation in the Serebii section between the TPC proper apps and the crappy throwaway apps.
I bet they'll keep on coming :p

Edit:
And sure enough, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/kmTCgsb.png
Google Play

http://i.imgur.com/nFhxpum.png
Google Play

These are just themes, I think. I don't know how they even got the license to release them when the Style app exists.

Interesting. Thanks

Busaiku

Can someone explain to me why Pokémon are at lv 50 in tournament settings and not 100?
The games lowers and increases levels to 50, so I know there has to be a reason.
They don't increase the level, only decrease.
Probably cause 100 would take too long.

Level 50 is a compromise, I think:

1. Less time training - to go from 50 to 100 vs 1 to 50 requires 4x to 10x more experience. Much easier to go from 1 to 50. That's without auto-scaling, of course.
2. EVs and IVs have half the effect they do at 100. Consequently, IV spreads can be more liberal (30 and 31 are the same, for instance), and EV spreads can get more fancy. Other things that alter stats (natures, hold items, etc.) also have less of an influence.
3. Move power matters more at 50 than 100, due to how the damage calculation works. Apparently this leads to slightly more percentage damage done based on average HP at this level.

Some disadvantages:
1. The full stat potential of a Pokemon isn't realized until 100.
2. Lv. 100 makes certain calculations easier in regards to battling, making for more exact pre-strategy.

I'm sure someone who knows more about the intricacies can go through the details...

Level 50 is a compromise, I think:

1. Less time training - to go from 50 to 100 vs 1 to 50 requires 4x to 10x more experience. Much easier to go from 1 to 50. That's without auto-scaling, of course.
2. EVs and IVs have half the effect they do at 100. Consequently, IV spreads can be more liberal (30 and 31 are the same, for instance), and EV spreads can get more fancy. Other things that alter stats (natures, hold items, etc.) also have less of an influence.
3. Move power matters more at 50 than 100, due to how the damage calculation works. Apparently this leads to slightly more percentage damage done based on average HP at this level.

Some disadvantages:
1. The full stat potential of a Pokemon isn't realized until 100.
2. Lv. 100 makes certain calculations easier in regards to battling, making for more exact pre-strategy.

I'm sure someone who knows more about the intricacies can go through the details...
Bolded I think is the biggest reason why 50 has become the standard. Makes it just that bit more approachable, though the ease with which maxed IVs pokemon are bred these days somewhat diminishes it.

IVs and EVs at level 100 are simpler. At level 100 every IV = 1 point and every 4 EVs = 1 point. Simple and easy to understand.

At level 50 it's more complicated. To make it as simple as possible:

-For odd IVs you want 4 + 8n EVs.
-For even IVs you want 8n EVs.

Anything else results in wasted EVs. For the odd IVs thing it's because 4 EVs in that case gets you another stat point that you can't get with an even IV. This also means that you want 31 IVs, not 30, in stats you plan to invest EVs in.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
tumblr_n5s91pOyf91srqku9o1_500.jpg

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Didn't notice the connection here till I saw it pointed out...Shiny Zygarde and Shiny Florges are colored the same way.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Does anybody actually ever bother going to Cinnabar Island via route 19, 20 and Seafoam Islands?

Personally I always went via Pallet Town then onto Route 21.

IVs and EVs at level 100 are simpler. At level 100 every IV = 1 point and every 4 EVs = 1 point. Simple and easy to understand.

At level 50 it's more complicated. To make it as simple as possible:

-For odd IVs you want 4 + 8n EVs.
-For even IVs you want 8n EVs.

Anything else results in wasted EVs. For the odd IVs thing it's because 4 EVs in that case gets you another stat point that you can't get with an even IV. This also means that you want 31 IVs, not 30, in stats you plan to invest EVs in.

If I was to create a competitive team then raising them to level 50 is best option?

uFFn4N3.jpg

I just realized how different Talonflame's eyes are compared to its pre-evo.

Kinda look like he's wearing one of those super heroes mask.

So Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions was last night in Toronto, and damn was it awesome.

Merchandise wise, we got the shirts and posters, no overpriced Pikachu plushes. No Pokemon themed drinks either ;__;

If I had one thing to complain about, I wish that they put in Cynthia's theme over the Lake Guardians music. The Lake Guardians music was pretty good though...

For someone who didn't think XY's soundtrack was all that great, their versions of the music was surprisingly awesome.

My last disappointment of the night is directed at our Toronto crowd. During the Pokemon theme song, everyone was too damn quiet. Almost as if they were too self conscious. And they only sang the first minute of the song and it seemed like no one knew the whole song. It was sad. :/ Oh well.

And that conductor....man, what a beautiful lady. She can conduct me anyday. </Brock>

Top Bottom