• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Caught em all or at least at some point, still need to living pokedex my shit but then i just dont feel into that anymore thanks to bw2 announcement.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I can't decide either, I found this sweet CD import site from Japan and I can get the pair for $60, $20 cheaper than amazon.
Both the Lance battle in the original gold/silver games was boss, the starting is way epic with the atmosphere just right, then you hear the interface window, dragons, RED?
I also loved the final rival/champion battle in red/blue/yellow, that sent shivers down my spine as well.

Sapphire and Ruby have what I like to call the also stellar 'sequel music' to their predecessors, it gets me all cheery for some reason. But my wallet hates me, so I'll buy the popular ones first before they go 'discontinued' on me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Because of the stupid BW2 hype I've decided to finally get Pokemon B/W for my 3DS.
Which one of the two is considered to be the new "Silver"? :d

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Because of the stupid BW2 hype I've decided to finally get Pokemon B/W for my 3DS.
Which one of the two is considered to be the new "Silver"? :d

Do you like nauseating city life or the good old outdoors?
Now, there's bigger differences, before the so-called features of different versions were superfluous.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Do you like nauseating city life or the good old outdoors?
Now, there's bigger differences, before the so-called features of different versions were superfluous.
Uh, I just read this and yeah, I think I'll go with the outdoors.

I'm going to be controversial, and say I think FRLG are better than HGSS.

Sevii Islands were so good.

Sevii Island were nice, but they were too... barren for me. Particularly after the whole Team Rocket subquest was finished. A few trainers to fight, the Trainer Tower which was never particularly useful for anything, and... that's about it. :/

I love FRLG, but they really could've had better post-game content, I think.

ffdgh

emerald frontier was so much hax....and it doesn't help that there's no access to certain pokemon like chansey/tyranatar but the cpu get to abuse them. -_-

tho I wont give up on the gold symbols :p

p.s. battle pyramid is impossible.

Frost_Ace

emerald frontier was so much hax....and it doesn't help that there's no access to certain pokemon like chansey/tyranatar but the cpu get to abuse them. -_-

tho I wont give up on the gold symbols :p

p.s. battle pyramid is impossible.

wut the battle pyramid is one of the easiest.

ffdgh

wut the battle pyramid is one of the easiest.

i consider the battle pike the easiest.....to manage. aside from random kurlia/dustclops spamming toxic and will-o-wisp

the battle pyramid has the joy of not letting you run from some wild encounters......even if you're faster >_>

wat indeed...

Anyway i see i'm the only one who haven't played the remakes... FR&LG because with the new graphics have lost all the charm of the original and SuperiorSilver i've only done the first 8 badges (but i haven't bought it, it was my friend's cartridge) because D/P were a huge letdown and i had lost interest in the series...

103.png

Yeaaahhhh.....

I love the older style but the sprites in Red/Blue were atrocious. Yellow did it much better and GSC finally nailed it.

LeleSocho

Banned
I've never really had a problem with the visual style of Pokemon over the years except maybe R/S/E.

In the context of Hoenn it looks great (all that generation is second only to G/S/C) but in Kanto.... meh.

103.png

Yeaaahhhh.....

I love the older style but the sprites in Red/Blue were atrocious. Yellow did it much better and GSC finally nailed it.
nah the only atrocious sprite is Moltres the other ones were fine imo.

LeleSocho

Banned
rbspr042.png

Yeah, I'm going to have to beg to differ. I love Red and Blue, but the sprites are simply archaic compared to even R/S/E's.
R/B Golbat is far more interesting than the standard design
It's your opinion but I seriously hope this is a case of nostalgia glasses.

Red/Blue - Yellow - Gold/Silver - FireRed/LeafGreen

003.png
003.png
003.png
003.png

006.png
006.png
006.png
006.png

009.png
009.png
009.png
009.png
R/B Blastoise and Charizard > G/S/C, being the same of the anime style doesn't mean better
The only thing R/B sprites lacks are colors.

Gravijah

It's your opinion but I seriously hope this is a case of nostalgia glasses.

Red/Blue - Yellow - Gold/Silver - FireRed/LeafGreen

003.png
003.png
003.png
003.png

006.png
006.png
006.png
006.png

009.png
009.png
009.png
009.png

out of these examples (but only these examples) i think i prefer the yellow sprites. 3rd gen sprites are obviously the best, so they don't count.

Salvadora

Honestly I don't remember thinking Pokemon sprites were shit although I'm still raging about Gamefreaks removal of animation, v.s seekers etc.. out of sequels. I mean what the fuck.

R/B Golbat is far more interesting than the standard design

R/B Blastoise and Charizard > G/S/C, being the same of the anime style doesn't mean better
The only thing R/B sprites lacks are colors.

Fatso Blastoise can suck a big one. They don't looke better because they're more anime style but because they're better sprited. IMO of course.

Also guys, remember the back sprites in R/B? *shudders*

Gravijah

Fatso Blastoise can suck a big one. They don't looke better because they're more anime style but because they're better sprited. IMO of course.

Also guys, remember the back sprites in R/B? *shudders*

there's something about the coloring in the gen 2 sprites that i just don't find as good.

there's something about the coloring in the gen 2 sprites that i just don't find as good.

The colours are a tad bit too saturated and the shading is a bit worse than Yellow, I agree. On a GBC screen they'd look different though. The colouring part obviously.

Edit: Just for shits and giggles, evolution of Arcanine, the best fire dog.

059.png
059.png
059.png

059.png
059.png
059.gif

059.png
059.png
059.png
059.gif

059.png
059.png