• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
I wanna hate on this, but I can't.

That's what I thought you were talking about when you said "New Pokerap."

I think I like it exactly as much as the old one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
That's what I thought you were talking about when you said "New Pokerap."

I think I like it exactly as much as the old one.
Ieru Ka Na is just not the same without the creepy ass dude making a penis sign behind his butt. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Added the info about the IRC to the OP. Going to bed. Time to crash... Zzz...

i just realized that i have every single pokemon game released (i believe), and many of them in EU, US, JP version. do i have a problem gaf?

Wiseblade

Great OP. Nice to see RS finally get the credit they deserve for cleaning up the Pokémon data structure on GAF.

List wars time!

Black > Emerald > HGSS > *

Diprosalic said:
i just realized that i have every single pokemon game released (i believe), and many of them in EU, US, JP version. do i have a problem gaf?
The only problem I see is that you're one of 2 people on this page without a Poke-avatar. :p

TheSeks said:
Scrafty.gif

Best new Pokemon since Gen 1. That's right, you heard me.

Though Pichu and MexicanPineapple/Ludicolo are close seconds

Oh come on, you and I know that is completely wrong. He's not even the best Gen 5 Pokemon.

That title belongs to this magnificant bastard

576px-553Krookodile.png

Even his prevolutions are FUCK AWESOME!

552px-552Krokorok.png

800px-551Sandile.png

Wiseblade

Nuclear Muffin said:
What? No. The best Gen V Pokémon is without a doubt:

20110215162703!637Volcarona.png

Sutton Dagger said:
To be honest, I haven't enjoyed Pokemon that much since the original. The whole IV/EV thing is just a massive turnoff for me.

It was always there, ever since the original. It's just that people discovered how the system worked by the time the GBA games came out.

Regulus Tera said:
Evolution works in mysterious ways.

Well that just makes him even better then! He's a magnificent dick head who doesn't give a fuck!

Pietepiet

Oh man, now you've done it, GAF. I've been wanting to get back to White and finish training my team. Guess I'll use the opening of this thread as an excuse..

Sutton Dagger said:
To be honest, I haven't enjoyed Pokemon that much since the original. The whole IV/EV thing is just a massive turnoff for me.

It's been around SINCE the originals. Completely optional, too, which is part of what I love about this series. You can play however you want!

Playing through five games at once; one from each gen. I'm furthest along in Emerald, which annoys me as I'm trying to have the same amount of progress in each game at any given time but I CAN'T FUCKING PUT DOWN EMERALD.

Wiseblade

Nuclear Muffin said:
It was always there, ever since the original. It's just that people discovered how the system worked by the time the GBA games came out.
Not really, EVs/IVs as they are now simply didn't exist back in Gen I/II. Hidden values used to be a lot more primitive.

Chopper

I've already caught them all. I got extremely annoyed that there isn't actually enough box space for one of every single type of pokemon, particularly if you were collecting different forms and shinies. I literally ran out of space. Bring on Pokemon Gray, with MOAR boxes!

MarkusRJR

I started a new game in Black last week and I'm already at the 6th/7th gym (not entirely sure). My pokemon seem incredibly underlevelled though. It's reached a point where I have to grind on wild pokemon that give me barely any experience. Ugh.

I don't remember ever having this problem in the prior games.

Oh, and why do these games look absolutely shit on my 3DS? It's such a downer to see my pokemon look all blurry. I know i can shrink it to it's original resolution, but then everything looks microscopic.

Pietepiet

Yaceka said:
Oh, and why do these games look absolutely shit on my 3DS?

Yeah, the scaling is a fucking mess on the 3DS. Strangely, it bothers me more with Pokémon games than with any other game I play on it.

MarkusRJR

Pietepiet said:
Yeah, the scaling is a fucking mess on the 3DS. Strangely, it bothers me more with Pokémon games than with any other game I play on it.
While pokemon looks really bad, you have not yet seen true horror. Toss Chrono Trigger in your 3DS and then you'll be stabbing your eyes out with your many styluses.

vanty

Dice said:
The last one I played was Diamond. I got to the last part and beat 3 of the Elite then lost. I feel like I could have beat the game if it wasn't for the incredibly stupid world map abilities taking up actual battle move slots. The cave on the way to the last fights required like 62765324 abilities, so I had hardly any good moves left, and there was no way to switch from a "travel team" to a "battle team" so I just didn't have a means of kicking ass. I somehow lost my copy of the game before I ever went back and leveled up 30 times or whatever I would need to do, so I never beat it.

I still have a DS lite. Do any newer Pokemon games for it avoid this sort of problem?
I got like 5 minutes into Victory Road (place you go through to get to Elite Four) on Diamond and just quit when I realised how many fucking HMs I'd have to use. I'll fire it back up when I can be bothered trading the Gen 1 starters over to White, but it really turned me off Pokemon for years.

I got White a while ago though, and just beat the Elite Four the other day. Victory Road required no HMs from what I remember, and there's a Pokemon Center where you can heal/change Pokemon (was this missing in D/P?) at the top, which you can also fly to so no need to go back through the caves. I did have to spend about 10 hours grinding my party from mid-high 30's up to 50 before taking on the Elite Four, but it was easily done while watching TV so no big deal. Then I ended up fucking the ass out of the Elite Four no problem, so maybe I didn't need to do so much grinding ahah.

Black-Wind said:
The only problem I see is that you're one of 2 people on this page without a Poke-avatar. :p

well atm i'm on the SS bandwagon. after i played that to death i'm going to switch.
yours is super cute btw.

Primeape community thread has arrived, let us discuss our love for the fighting furball and the time he swiped Brock's "Jelly donuts" as a Mankey.

Izayoi

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Why? It doesn't have to affect your game if you don't want it to. Unless you're competitively battling in a smogon league it has absolutely zero impact on your enjoyment.

Chinner said:
who here would have sex with misty?
You.

I'm currently reading through Pokémon Special (basically went back to the beginning as I had forgotten stuff). I expected the FR/LG arc to be a letdown but it's actually pretty enjoyable. Still, the R/S arc really caught me off guard, so people, don't let Ruby make you lose interest right away, everything about this arc turns out to be awesome.

Also the whole manga is worth reading for Giovanni alone.

Roto13

Dice said:
The last one I played was Diamond. I got to the last part and beat 3 of the Elite then lost. I feel like I could have beat the game if it wasn't for the incredibly stupid world map abilities taking up actual battle move slots. The cave on the way to the last fights required like 62765324 abilities, so I had hardly any good moves left, and there was no way to switch from a "travel team" to a "battle team" so I just didn't have a means of kicking ass. I somehow lost my copy of the game before I ever went back and leveled up 30 times or whatever I would need to do, so I never beat it.

I still have a DS lite. Do any newer Pokemon games for it avoid this sort of problem?
You can go to the move deleter to forget those HM moves and the move relearner to get your old moves back. It's a stupid process, but it's possible. Most people just pick one Pokemon and give it a bunch of HM moves and let it be a HM mule.

Black and White use each HM like ones until the post game. It's like they realize that HMs suck but they can't bring themselves to break tradition.
Sutton Dagger said:
You can pretend they're not there and just play the game like a normal person. Not everyone has to play it competitively.

OMG Aero

Regulus Tera said:
Monsters in my Pocket: West Bitches 26? 24? The one with the Emolga: Some great comedy in here. It didn't have much in action and it was a bit boring at times, but the inclusion of Belle always makes for cracking antics. She should be a regular instead of Iris, who has no personality whatsoever.
But if Iris wasn't in the cartoon who would call Ash a kid five times every episode?
Delio said:
Best Gen V pokemon is still this little guy.

596.gif
See this guy right here? He knows what's up.

Ultima_5

Always loved pokemon. Been playing it since the start. Glad to see a pokemon thread on the gaming side again :). I agree w/ the op that people should read pokemon special. It's incredibly good. I read up to ruby and sapphire... got distracted w/ going to college and have yet to go back to it =/... Also recently started rewatching the first season of pokemon. Quite good. Don't think I can ever go back to the anime and catch up though. Amazing it's still going.

Also, everyone say hello to the best pokemon
170px-061Poliwhirl.png

Top Bottom