• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently the CoroCoro page for the Champion Tournament says something along the lines of "a battle breaking time and space", so it looks like it'll be non-canon.

It also mentions that Volkner took on the Unova Elite Four, which was hinted at in Black and White (Shauntal says ""'"Do you know Thunderbolt?" was his first greeting to me. It wasn't until after we battled that I learned his name was Volkner.' That's part of a novel I wrote.)

And Zubat's apparently in the Dex. :D

Watch Da Birdie

Also, in that screenshot near the picture of N showing the player talking to Rood, you can see Anthea and Concordia in the top of the screen. :p

Unicorn

I'm taking it upon myself to do some gen 1+2 pokemon (and a handful of gen 3) edits.

I will be changing most of the pokemon's types to either make them more interesting or better suit them for battle. I will also alter movepools accordingly, along with base stats.

What are some interesting type combinations that haven't been brought about in the games so far? What are some new type assignments that you feel existing pokemon should have, or perhaps ones to mix them up (such as fire type rattata or dark type caterpie). I would, obviously, alter their palette to suit the new typing, etc.

I'm mostly looking into this because I've got a pretty good story I want to tell, that I feel is danced around throughout the series. Themes that are only hinted at, topics that lay hidden or only have a single mention, along with character ties and relationships that have only minor mention. My goal is to be as canon-friendly as possible while taking my own twist on the history of pokemon.

I'm taking it upon myself to do some gen 1+2 pokemon (and a handful of gen 3) edits.

I will be changing most of the pokemon's types to either make them more interesting or better suit them for battle. I will also alter movepools accordingly, along with base stats.

What are some interesting type combinations that haven't been brought about in the games so far? What are some new type assignments that you feel existing pokemon should have, or perhaps ones to mix them up (such as fire type rattata or dark type caterpie). I would, obviously, alter their palette to suit the new typing, etc.

I'm mostly looking into this because I've got a pretty good story I want to tell, that I feel is danced around throughout the series. Themes that are only hinted at, topics that lay hidden or only have a single mention, along with character ties and relationships that have only minor mention. My goal is to be as canon-friendly as possible while taking my own twist on the history of pokemon.

Ooh, ooh, do a Dark/Psychic-type Espeon! It's my favourite 'mon from Gens 1 and 2, given my two favourite offensive types. It's only weakness would be Bug, and Espeon would look really slick with a black and red colour scheme.

Aside from that, try a Grass/Fire or Electric/Psychic. Both would be very interesting.

MikeMyers

Give Ninetails a part Psychic type, and Recover as a move.

Can someone confirm what /vp/ is talking about? They say that on the official Famitsu site there is info stating that in BW2 Meloetta and Cynthia will be traveling with the team in eastern Unova?!

Also the official site updated.

The Famitsu website definitely describes Meloetta as travelling with the group.

I dunno where the Cynthia bit comes from, but the Meloetta bit is true.

The Famitsu website definitely describes Meloetta as travelling with the group.

I dunno where the Cynthia bit comes from, but the Meloetta bit is true.

Huh, so I guess if TR really is going after them that they will be brought back in a big way. Will this be more like Togepi or like the supposed plot with Celebi that was supposed to happen.

Inukage

The official site has been update with clear images!

0.jpg

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/b2w2

Wow, sudden news day out of nowhere. New Plasma, loads of anime news, tonnes of new artwork, leaks, Apps for the west, localisation names of cities, Western boxarts.

Pretty excited about the anime stuff.

Watch Da Birdie

Apparently that's a five-minute anime short intended to advertise the games, as opposed to a trailer for the main series. It should become viewable by the 17th.

The Best Wishes 2 website is updating the same day, apparently, so we might get an anime trailer then.

OMG Aero

I wonder how they are even going to tie BW2 into the anime in the first place since BW2 is 2 years after the first games and anime is based off them going by Bianca and the gym leaders Ash has already faced.

Wichu

Well, it seems like the old Team Plasma has changed their ways - a screenshot shows Rood of the Seven Sages, a couple of Plasma members that seem to have befriended Pokémon, and the two goddesses (Anthea and Concordia) in a house with a random Hiker who doesn't seem to mind their presence. The new Team Plasma antagonists don't have stupid-looking uniforms for once - they remind me of Team Rocket (game version).

Old Plasma (led by N) vs new Plasma (new leader probably) is definitely going to happen at some point in the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I wonder how they are even going to tie BW2 into the anime in the first place since BW2 is 2 years after the first games and anime is based off them going by Bianca and the gym leaders Ash has already faced.

They'll manage, just like they never addressed the Johto time skip.

Here's what Best Wishes 2 is said to focus on according to Famitsu:

Pokebeach Translation said:
Ash, Iris, and Cilan will head with Champion Cynthia to Eastern Unova where Pokemon from past generations are present. They encounter Ash's past traveling companion Dawn and her Piplup and even the Legendary Pokemon Meloetta, who becomes Ash's friend and begins to journey with him. Giovanni will lead Team Rocket in their biggest plot in history, which as we already know involves Meloetta (and possibly the Sacred Beast Formes of Thundurus, Landorus, and Tornadus, or they at least somehow get involved, going by their presence in the show's poster). Ash is also going to have a new rival.

Caitlin from Platinum's Battle Frontier and Black and White's Elite Four will make an appearance, joining Cynthia in the "World Tournament Junior Cup," which seems to be inspired by the new "World Tournament" feature in Black 2 and White 2. The winner of the tournament gets to battle Alder. Are we going to see some epic Elite Four battles here? Let's hope so!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Please spoiler bar any BW2 spoilers and preferably keep them out of the thread for now. I'm not that sensitive about it, but some posters are trying to maintain a blackout.

Kokonoe

Banned
Please spoiler bar any BW2 spoilers and preferably keep them out of the thread for now. I'm not that sensitive about it, but some posters are trying to maintain a blackout.

I usually do so with the games I really care about. Black and White 2 is the first Pokemon game where I don't really mind the spoilers. Next gen Pokemon, though. That'll be where I'll avoid all the smallest of spoilers possible.

I remember trying to avoid Brawl spoilers(I only went to the Dojo once), and the only thing I didn't find out about was that Toon Link was in it. Although, I was expecting him to be.

I actually don't mind spoiling Pokémon games for myself, as it actually makes me more hyped for them. By the tim Black and White came out in North America, I had already watched 2 different complete walkthroughs just to see what kind of Pokémon they'd use and downloaded a complete list of every Gen V Pokémon and their stats and movelists onto my phone. In the end, I still went into BW with a sense of wonder and surprise, plus I got the extra benefit of "I remember this place! A Pokémon I want for my team is here!"

Most likely, for Gen VI I will spoil the new Pokémon so I can get a rough idea of my team, but abstain from learning story details and Gym Leaders.

I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times before and is slightly off-topic from the current new info. However, was I the only one that really enjoyed Contests from R/S and prefered the Battle Frontier from Emerald. Maybe it was just me but I thought those were far superior and ended up being ruined in the 4th and 5th gen. In particular contests which used to have a fun strategy to them that got ruined in subsequent generations.

I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times before and is slightly off-topic from the current new info. However, was I the only one that really enjoyed Contests from R/S and prefered the Battle Frontier from Emerald. Maybe it was just me but I thought those were far superior and ended up being ruined in the 4th and 5th gen. In particular contests which used to have a fun strategy to them that got ruined in subsequent generations.

I was never really a fan of contests, but I did like the Emerald Battle Frontier more. The AI seemed to cheat a lot more in the Gen IV BF, plus Emerald's Frontier Brains have much better music accompanying them.

You're absolutely right. The quality and variety of Emerald's Battle Frontier was in a whole different league to that of Gen IV's, and original contests were much better than Super Contests or (shudder) Musicals.

PokéWood looks interesting, though, and Pokéathlon was probably the best sidequest the games have offered thus far.

I was never really a fan of contests, but I did like the Emerald Battle Frontier more. The AI seemed to cheat a lot more in the Gen IV BF, plus Emerald's Frontier Brains have much better music accompanying them.

I didn't like the poffin/juice/whatever aspect with the introductions. However, I liked the second part because it made a lot more pokemon useful and added much more depth to the situation. If Contests were made as something similar to a Battle Frontier area; I'd welcome it. I feel that both Contests and the Battle Frontier add a lot more depth and usefulness to pokemon as well as significantly improve on post-game content.

• Heracross Bug/Fighting (he's super powerful so a 4x weakness would check him; plus a STAB'd Brick Break from it would be monstrous)
  • Ninetails Fire/Ghost (kitsune. Shadow Ball, Ominous Wind, etc)
  • Feraligatr Water/Dark (STAB'd Crunch, plus it looks vicious already)

As for new typings...
  • Fire/Water (steam)
  • Fire/Grass (forest fire? a tropical plant?)
  • Dragon/Fire (hmmm, lol)
  • Fighting/Ice
  • Poison/Ice
  • Rock/Ice

Also, sexy new Cynthia? Nomnomnom

(Now give us an older Maylene! :D)

MikeMyers

• Heracross Bug/Fighting (he's super powerful so a 4x weakness would check him; plus a STAB'd Brick Break from it would be monstrous)
  • Ninetails Fire/Ghost (kitsune. Shadow Ball, Ominous Wind, etc)
  • Feraligatr Water/Dark (STAB'd Crunch, plus it looks vicious already)

• Heracross is already Bug/Fighting

Top Bottom