• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Andrefpvs

I've been trying to figure this out. Isn't Black & White's soundtrack much more melodic than the other DS Pokémon games? Black & White has a very Chrono Trigger-ish feel to a lot of its music.

New composers? Better understanding of the hardware?

Scrafty isn't pretentious like Throh or Sawk. He doesn't need belts; he's manly enough to let his trousers hang naturally.

1312435106340.gif

Belts are not only good for keeping pants up, but they let others know who is boss. Just look at Machamp. He's got a goddamned championship belt. What does Scrafty have? A delusional fanbase.

Belts are not only good for keeping pants up, but they let others know who is boss. Just look at Machamp. He's got a goddamned championship belt. What does Scrafty have? A delusional fanbase.

3b2d1_ORIG-Dwight_Schrute_False_cropped.jpg

He has a posse of underlings, a harem of hoes, and a place in the OU tier. Machamp's belt is a sham, anyways. How else does literally evey member of the species have one?

Because they're all better than Scrafty.

You're so shallow.

What tier was Machamp again? Oh yeah, UnderUsed :p

Since I'm anticipating cries of "tires don exits," let me justify Scrafty's superiority some more. He has a better and more creative name, a design that straddles the line between cool and cute, a brilliant and diverse movepool, and the in-game usefullness that no other Fighting-types had, nor ever will.

Scrafty is just all-around amazing. Best Fighting-type, best Dark-type, best Gen V Pokémon, and best Pokémon period.

What tier was Machamp again? Oh yeah, UnderUsed :p

Since I'm anticipating cries of "tires don exits," let me justify Scrafty's superiority some more. He has a better and more creative name, a design that straddles the line between cool and cute, a brilliant and diverse movepool, and the in-game usefullness that no other Fighting-types had, nor ever will.

Scrafty is just all-around amazing. Best Fighting-type, best Dark-type, best Gen V Pokémon, and best Pokémon period.

You won't get any tier cries from me, but thank you for admitting defeat by dodging my point.

You won't get any tier cries from me, but thank you for admitting defeat by dodging my point.

I never admitted defeat, nor did I dodge your point, since it was not yet made when I began typing my post.

Scrafty has a belt. He's just so awesome that he feels it necessary to give his opponents a handicap by not wearing it, forcing him to keep his hands occupied.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Nuzlocke update:

No story, not yet. I'll write one up eventually.

Through three badges. All that stands with me are:

508.gif

Bolin

Though I finally have an EXP. share which should make this much easier. I never realized how much I just . . mash the A button.

551.gif

Irwin

562.gif

Amon

are now on my team. Hopefully they last longer.

Pour a drink out for my dead homies.

504.gif

Matthias

495.gif

Jaqen

515.gif

Kanye

519.gif

Nico Robin

524.gif

Bumi

535.gif

Hodor

543.gif

Quinn

Korosenai

The Nuzlocke challenge sounds very cool. I've recently been playing Pokemon Blue, but i'm probably gonna end up putting it aside for now and trying this challenge out for Platinum.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My Platinum Nuzlocke is going pretty well too, just beat Maylene.

After using EVERYONE to Jupiter basically, all I've lost since then is Shellos and Buneary. Thankfully there's tons of routes and areas in Sinnoh, so I've totally regained a big team again...

There's my Torterra who, since this is my first Nuzlocke, he's immune to the rules, but I try not to use him outside of having him grind for EXP. with a EXP Share equipped on a weak Pokemon. Level 42, with Earthquake, Razor Leaf, Bite, and Synthesis. Does anyone else give their starter an immunity clause? Next Nuzlocke, I'm not, because I feel like a baby for doing that lol.

The other two guys I keep around are Ponyta, great Pokemon for leading with since I can Run Away from wild Pokemon without risking being stuck, and Pachirisu, for Pick Up.

The other Pokemon I have are Probopass, Bidoof, Togepi, Porygon, Hippopotas, Duskull, Noctowl, Vaporeon, Roselia, Lickitung, Bronzor, and Graveller. Duskull, Noctowl, and Bronzor kicked Maylene's ass, so for Crasher Wake, I'll be training Pachirisu and Roselia.

Watch Da Birdie

The Nuzlocke challenge sounds very cool. I've recently been playing Pokemon Blue, but i'm probably gonna end up putting it aside for now and trying this challenge out for Platinum.

Platinum's really fun for Nuzlocke, because you have a lot of routes to explore between most areas and a decent selection of Pokemon.

Speaking of which, how do you guys go about the capture rules?

I use...

1. First Pokemon on each route EXCLUDING ones I have already captured. Meaning I can keep encountering Bidoofs until I encounter a new Pokemon. I can catch it but, if I miss it, I can't catch anymore Pokemon on that route.
2. Same rules apply for every Named Area. As in, I can catch one Pokemon in Eterna Forest and one in Eterna Mansion since they have different names.
3. All gift Pokemon, like Togepi, Eevee, and Porygon are fair-game. In Rotom's case, since he's encountered as a wild Pokemon, I cannot catch him unless it follows Rule 1.
4. I cannot catch evolutions of Pokemon I already own. I can catch evolutions, though, if I have lost their earlier forms in battle.
5. Every unorthodox "capture" method is limited to one. One Pokemon per Fishing Rod, one Pokemon per Honey Tree, and one Pokemon per Surf, regardless of area. Other rules apply.

I assume most people play this way, except for perhaps playing rule 1 more stricter (as in if you run into a repeat on a route, you're screwed)

Korosenai

What's the rules on going back to an old route and capturing the first pokemon you see?

In the official two rules, it says catch the first pokemon on a new route, but says nothing on an old route. So I was just wondering.

Watch Da Birdie

The real rule is, I believe, the first Pokemon you encounter in a Route, whether you've caught it before or not, you're "locked" into.

So, that's the only Pokemon you can possibly catch on that route EVER. If you faint or run away, you lost a chance to get a Pokemon in that route, even if you go back later.

Of course, for variety, you can play with a "fresh rule" like I do and restrict yourself to the first Pokemon you encounter that you don't have, so you won't, for example, end up with seven Bidoof. But I still make it so if, say I encounter a Houndour after the Bidoof, and I faint that Houndour or it runs, I can't catch any Pokemon in that route.

Korosenai

The real rule is, I believe, the first Pokemon you encounter in a Route, whether you've caught it before or not, you're "locked" into.

So, that's the only Pokemon you can possibly catch on that route EVER. If you faint or run away, you lost a chance to get a Pokemon in that route, even if you go back later.

Of course, for variety, you can play with a "fresh rule" like I do and restrict yourself to the first Pokemon you encounter that you don't have, so you won't, for example, end up with seven Bidoof. But I still make it so if, say I encounter a Houndour after the Bidoof, and I faint that Houndour or it runs, I can't catch any Pokemon in that route.

Oh ok. I guess that makes sense too, because if you can just go back to an old route and catch a new pokemon, then you could technically never lose the challenge.

Speaking of which, how do you guys go about the capture rules?

I use...

1. First Pokemon on each route EXCLUDING ones I have already captured. Meaning I can keep encountering Bidoofs until I encounter a new Pokemon. I can catch it but, if I miss it, I can't catch anymore Pokemon on that route.
2. Same rules apply for every Named Area. As in, I can catch one Pokemon in Eterna Forest and one in Eterna Mansion since they have different names.
3. All gift Pokemon, like Togepi, Eevee, and Porygon are fair-game. In Rotom's case, since he's encountered as a wild Pokemon, I cannot catch him unless it follows Rule 1.
4. I cannot catch evolutions of Pokemon I already own. I can catch evolutions, though, if I have lost their earlier forms in battle.
5. Every unorthodox "capture" method is limited to one. One Pokemon per Fishing Rod, one Pokemon per Honey Tree, and one Pokemon per Surf, regardless of area. Other rules apply.

I assume most people play this way, except for perhaps playing rule 1 more stricter (as in if you run into a repeat on a route, you're screwed)

Mine are pretty much the same, only with a few changes:

-No "repeat" rule. You get what you get. That includes different forms of Pokémom that have already been captured.
-Gift Pokémon count as the capture for that area (i.e. my Porygon in Platinum counted as my capture for Veilstone)
-No rule #5. Pokémon caught while fishing, surfing, etc. only count as the area's capture.
-Name EVERYTHING. Bonus points for clever and/or punny names.

What's the rules on going back to an old route and capturing the first pokemon you see?

In the official two rules, it says catch the first pokemon on a new route, but says nothing on an old route. So I was just wondering.

As long as it's the first Pokémon you've ever seen on that route, it's fair game, but if you go back to a route in which a Pokémon has already been encountered, you cannot capture it. Feel free to bend any rule as you please, though.

I also thought I'd take this oppourtunity to plug this insane Nuzlocke ruleset. If you want to make it even more insane, this is for you.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
There's my Torterra who, since this is my first Nuzlocke, he's immune to the rules, but I try not to use him outside of having him grind for EXP. with a EXP Share equipped on a weak Pokemon.

It's my first nuzolcke too and I think you have to let your starter be a part of it. It's so much worse to watch it die. Specially when it goes so young. :'( Jaqen.

No one should be immune to the rules.

Mine are pretty much the same, only with a few changes:

-No "repeat" rule. You get what you get. That includes different forms of Pokémom that have already been captured.
-Gift Pokémon count as the capture for that area (i.e. my Porygon in Platinum counted as my capture for Veilstone)
-No rule #5. Pokémon caught while fishing, surfing, etc. only count as the area's capture.
-Name EVERYTHING. Bonus points for clever and/or punny names.

Exactly how I do it, outside of repeats. On my next one I'll probably exclude the repeat addendum, but for now I like being forced into a new pokemon I've never really used. Yes, this was to try and get Scraft or Sawk at first, but I still ended up with a freaking Tympole.

And no scrafty. Damn you nuzlocke.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I've been trying to figure this out. Isn't Black & White's soundtrack much more melodic than the other DS Pokémon games? Black & White has a very Chrono Trigger-ish feel to a lot of its music.

New composers? Better understanding of the hardware?
It's no more melodic than the rest of the soundtracks. It's just got Shota Kageyama, who's style is generally more direct and blunt than that of Go Ichinose or Hitomi Sato (who did the bulk of D/P's music, for comparison). That's about it.

That sounds...evil. Just the concept of a Nuzlocke challenge is bad enough but that sounds...awful. Who came up with the idea of the nuzlocke challenge in the first place?

MikeMyers

Machamp is badass, I want to see him wrestle Goro from Mortal Kombat.

Anyway, after more than a decade of playing the games I finally encountered a Shiny Pokemon that wasn't Gyarados, got myself...a shiny Zubat! Green looks cool, but I looked up Crobat's shiny and it was meh.

Speaking of Gyarados, I used him in Ruby to breed Dragon Dance on Bagon. Adamant Dragon Dance Bagon for the win, I will transfer that over to one of the DS games.

One more thing: I was going through the series through release (starting from Red and just beat Ruby again), but I'm thinking of skipping replaying 4th Gen and going straight to 5th Gen since I've never played 5th Gen.

Top Bottom