• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Shoyz

The lack of any directional assistance when looking for a Pokemon is a problem. I believe I read that there used to be a meter distance count, but was removed due to inaccuracy? You can seemingly 'toggle' a nearby Pokemon but there's no way to track it at all, other than vaguely by 3-tier distance.
But the timer on Pokemon locations is infuriating, multiplied even more-so with the lack of pokemon tracking. I spent 10 minutes running in a circle trying to pin-point a slippery Shellder, finally felt the magical phone vibration, clicked it..and it vanished. I've had similar last-second vanishes at least 4 times today. This is ridiculous, if it's on-screen it should not disappear.

Is buying a GO+ the only way to receive sleepmode notifications? As it stands, your location data only seems to update when the game is active, and you'll only receive any notification (vibration) that a Pokemon is nearby when your screen is on. I can barely get a 2 hour session before my phone is dead having to hold it out, and on, the entire walk.

Matbtz

Is buying a GO+ the only way to receive sleepmode notifications? As it stands, your location data only seems to update when the game is active, and you'll only receive any notification (vibration) that a Pokemon is nearby when your screen is on. I can barely get a 2 hour session before my phone is dead having to hold it out, and on, the entire walk.

That's pretty strange because on the description of the GO+ they say : "both phone and GO+ will vibrate when a pokemon is nearby". So I wonder why this is not possible right now. Maybe because without this functionality the GO+ is actually useless ?

I have exactly enough pidgey candy to evolve a pidgeotto into a Pidgeot. But the Pidgeotto is only 78 CP and knows "Wing Attack" and its special is freaking Twister. Is it worth?

Shoyz

I have exactly enough pidgey candy to evolve a pidgeotto into a Pidgeot. But the Pidgeotto is only 78 CP and knows "Wing Attack" and its special is freaking Twister. Is it worth?

I caught a Pidgey with 135CP, so I'd definitely say no. Most early-game Pidgeottos I had were 130-170CP.

Wasn’t able to play last night due to server issues but luckily it was up and running on my journey to work so I managed to get a few more Pokémon and actually got to do some gyms for the first time.

Gym fights are more fun than I thought they would be considering you only have 2 attacks so that’s good, already have 3 gyms to my name (1 was unclaimed). I have noticed sometimes you have to fight a gym more than once for it to register, lol I was walking to work after getting off the tube and there is a gym near it so I was there for 5 minutes repeatedly beating the gym owner, getting the 20xp and building up the gyms reputation but he still kept control over it.

I also managed to actually use some pokestops too, there are quite a few near my work and my journey home but I didn’t know you had to actually spin the picture to get the items (since this game doesn’t explain anything).

As for Pokémon, I have been sending scrubs to gyms and building up others to keep for battle. I have a Raticate that is CP 282 but it won't let me level it up anymore since my level needs to be higher. Of course it doesn’t actually tell you what level but I assume once I get to level 7 it will allow me to power it up some more.

Overall it seems like a really fun game, terrible at explaining things and of course the server issues are annoying but since it actually hasn’t been released in my country yet (I'm in London) that’s fair enough. Speaking of that, I'm very surprised how many gyms have been claimed, seen at least 15 gyms and only 2 haven't been claimed so it shows there are a tonne of people who have already downloaded the game and started playing which does indeed make it seem like this game is going to be huge.

Shoyz

You caught a pidgey with 135CP?

Funny story, my first incense brought me literally nothing but 5-6 pidgeys. They're all over here.
7uwiW20.png

Robin64

Haha, wasted like 10 Pokéballs catching a damn Zubat because the lack of depth meant I couldn't tell how far away it was and if my Pokéballs were overshooting or going short.

oti

Banned
Haha, wasted like 10 Pokéballs catching a damn Zubat because the lack of depth meant I couldn't tell how far away it was and if my Pokéballs were overshooting or going short.

Same, haha.

I woke up this morning and immediately went for a walk. Caught some smaller Pokémon and leveled up to 5. After coming back I decided to pay some money (I mean hey, it made me go for a walk at 7 AM, that's worth some money) and I used my Google Rewards for a bigger Pokémon bag and two egg machines.

Kinsei

Banned
I broke down and downloaded the APK. It says there's a Pidgeotto nearby so it looks like I'm going for a walk at 6AM.

Edit: it wasn't a Pidgeotto, it was a Pidgeot! I now have a fully evolved Pokemon!

For such a common and low level pokemon, Zubats are the hardest to catch since they tend to move around more and slightly bob in the air.

Teknoman

Just the person for the job too!

Btw in the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qryf2F_QfXg

When one of the guys challenges a gym, another woman walks up (presumably on the same team) and then both of their pokemon appear to attack the gym defender at the same time. Didnt know that was possible, but does that mean its possible to have double / triple battles of sorts?

DrSlek

I just went for a walk with my dog and applied some incense.

I caught:
1 Ponyta
1 Krabby
1 Staryu
1 Slowpoke
1 Caterpie
12 fucking Zubats

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just the person for the job too!

Btw in the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qryf2F_QfXg

When one of the guys challenges a gym, another woman walks up (presumably on the same team) and then both of their pokemon appear to attack the gym defender at the same time. Didnt know that was possible, but does that mean its possible to have double / triple battles of sorts?

More than likely what is shown in the trailer that isn't in the game is going to come out eventually. I presume they want stability first with the basics then start adding more.

How viable is it to get to a level like this without dropping cash?

Congrats, as well, I'm glad I presumably don't live near you.

I walked for 4 hours haha... I live in a really safe neighborhood and I had some time to kill before the Counter-Strike major starts at 3 AM, and about a 10 minute walk from the mall, which is actually a gold mine for me xD So I just caught a lot of pidgeys, the highest Pidgey I had (I think 159 CP? I evolved, and then I evolved it again and I got this after 4 Level Ups.)

CmwKv0WUcAAG5tQ.jpg:large

I can't see myself needing to drop any cash. Of course, mileage may vary, but as far as I'm concerned, I can just spend an hour in my mall shopping and I'd get a lot of items.

Kinsei

Banned
How viable is it to get to a level like this without dropping cash?

Congrats, as well, I'm glad I presumably don't live near you.

You get the stardust everytime you catch a Pokemon and you get four candies every time you catch another Pokemon from that family. My Pidgeot is almost that strong and I've only just started this morning.

Ragnaroz

How do I get candies for my starter? I have yet to find any other Bulbasaurs in the wild to get candy with? :/

Also: Have fun challenging my gym. :3

CmwJjJGVYAAZo1u.jpg:large
If you are the only one defending that gym, it's pretty easy to take over. The one who attacks uses 6 Pokemon vs that one. That's exactly why I didn't leave my 509 Nidoqueen in any one of my 5 gyms.

How do I get candies for my starter? I have yet to find any other Bulbasaurs in the wild to get candy with? :/

Also: Have fun challenging my gym. :3

CmwJjJGVYAAZo1u.jpg:large

Meanwhile, I cannot play as it has not yet been released in my region. ;_;

Anyway, does anyone know if Mew and Mewtwo are included in this game?

JoeM86

Does evolving give it CP? If not, then it is kind of pointless just focusing on evolving if you want to actually stand a chance against other player's Pokemon.

There's a scale for CP (the half circle). Think of that scale as the level. When that scale increases, the CP increases. When you evolve a Pokémon, the scale remains but the CP increases because the Pokémon has a higher base CP.

Basically, in main game terms, the scale is level and CP is a stat

Meanwhile, I cannot play as it is not yet released in my region. ;_;

Anyway, does anyone know if Mew and Mewtwo are included in this game?

Mew and Mewtwo will probably be a community based raid.

Good thing I'm going to Worlds.

Does evolving give it CP? If not, then it is kind of pointless just focusing on evolving if you want to actually stand a chance against other player's Pokemon.

It does, but I'm not sure how the game determines how much it increases by. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure my CP ~70 Rattata evolved to a CP ~210 Raticate.

I see a Charmander "3 footsteps" away from me... but it's almost 4 AM and I'm watching eSports.

I don't neeeeeed it.

I can myself getting so addicted to this game haha.

But if you see it you can just tap it and catch it. You don't need to go there.

Haha, I mean like 3 "steps" in game. You know the nearby section that tells you what's close? How it measures the distance in "steps"? 1 being close 3 being farther?

It's 3 of those steps. So probably somewhere 7 minutes away. :p

Wasn’t able to play last night due to server issues but luckily it was up and running on my journey to work so I managed to get a few more Pokémon and actually got to do some gyms for the first time.

Gym fights are more fun than I thought they would be considering you only have 2 attacks so that’s good, already have 3 gyms to my name (1 was unclaimed). I have noticed sometimes you have to fight a gym more than once for it to register, lol I was walking to work after getting off the tube and there is a gym near it so I was there for 5 minutes repeatedly beating the gym owner, getting the 20xp and building up the gyms reputation but he still kept control over it.

I also managed to actually use some pokestops too, there are quite a few near my work and my journey home but I didn’t know you had to actually spin the picture to get the items (since this game doesn’t explain anything).

As for Pokémon, I have been sending scrubs to gyms and building up others to keep for battle. I have a Raticate that is CP 282 but it won't let me level it up anymore since my level needs to be higher. Of course it doesn’t actually tell you what level but I assume once I get to level 7 it will allow me to power it up some more.

Overall it seems like a really fun game, terrible at explaining things and of course the server issues are annoying but since it actually hasn’t been released in my country yet (I'm in London) that’s fair enough. Speaking of that, I'm very surprised how many gyms have been claimed, seen at least 15 gyms and only 2 haven't been claimed so it shows there are a tonne of people who have already downloaded the game and started playing which does indeed make it seem like this game is going to be huge.

I have seen your gyms! Time to take them over! ;)

Mew and Mewtwo were in the beta files.

That's cool to hear!

There's a scale for CP (the half circle). Think of that scale as the level. When that scale increases, the CP increases. When you evolve a Pokémon, the scale remains but the CP increases because the Pokémon has a higher base CP.

Basically, in main game terms, the scale is level and CP is a stat

Mew and Mewtwo will probably be a community based raid.

Good thing I'm going to Worlds.

With the rate of people playing at launch, I will not be surprised if a raid can be as massive as shown in the trailer.

I have seen your gyms! Time to take them over! ;)
Yoooooooooo! Since you say gyms, plural im assuming its the Waddon and Waddon station gyms or Minster Church? What a small world.

LOL, doubt it will be very hard at all since i just used some smaller ones but will be fun to take it back from you :p

That does bring up a point though, once you assign a mon to a gym it pretty much becomes useless since you cant upgrade, evolve or even recall it. I have a Drowzee i can evolve but since its at a gym i cant do anything with it. I could evolve a different one but this has high CP. Guess it might not make a difference if evolving before maxing out CP doesnt make a difference and i can just do it for another drowzee.

We need some damn guides or explanations for this game.

Top Bottom