• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

Tbh the most exciting new feature (besides TMs) are gym badges. Imagine going around the world collecting the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Tokyo Tower.

It's higher level achievements.

border

Anyone else didn't get back his pokemon and is able to get coins even though gyms are down?

As a show of goodwill they really ought to just let people have one final, "free" gym collection over the next 12-24 hours. That way nobody feels like the shutdown cheated them out of a collection.

gutshot

This is cool.

To help you explore new places in the real world, you’ll be able to see which PokéStops you’ve visited in Map View. PokéStops you haven’t previously visited will appear with a ring on the map.

border

Other notes:

Daily Coin/Dust Collection is over. You earn coins based on how long your Defenders stay in their gym. When your Defenders get knocked out, they come back to you with coins. So getting booted out of a gym will actually be somewhat bittersweet. I guess it will take away the sting of getting booted by a Raid event.

My most important question -- will the new Gym or Raid system yield Stardust?

Tbh the most exciting new feature (besides TMs) are gym badges. Imagine going around the world collecting the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Tokyo Tower.

It's higher level achievements.

Oh for sure. I'll go out of my way to tackle a gym or two now on a trip so I can say "check these badges"

gutshot

Other notes:

Daily Coin/Dust Collection is over. You earn coins based on how long your Defenders stay in their gym. When your Defenders get knocked out, they come back to you with coins. So getting booted out of a gym will actually be somewhat bittersweet. I guess it will take away the sting of getting booted by a Raid event.

My most important question -- will the new Gym or Raid system yield Stardust?

You get Stardust for feeding Berries to Pokemon in a gym.

Also Raids aren't going to boot the Pokemon out of the gyms, according to the Niantic support pages.

Once you have defeated the Boss, you won’t be able to interact with the Gym until the raid has completed. After the Raid Battle has completed, the Gym is restored to its state before the raid. Any Pokémon previously assigned to the Gym return to defend the location.

border

I've been deleting Razz and Nanab berries for months. It's kind of funny to think that the worst vendor trash in the whole game is now going to be its hottest commodity. How much Stardust will you get for berry feeding, I wonder?

Do you have an example of a good mock up?

This series is a good one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_jHL18NWs

Which is before the first balance update so it's referencing that specifically, but the points are still valid there.

There's no one forcing them to use the exact PoGO stats. They could change things how they want to work well for their own game. Something like Butterfree could be made useful in this game with a buff, because right now Pokemon that were only good for prestiging will be more useless than ever. And I'm not saying they should all be Dragonite range, but it would be nice it it was a lot more viable to get them about the 2200 ish range so that we can see more variety up there.

The balance in this game isn't even entirely comparable to the mainline games despite the fact that they use mainline stats, because of how special and normal stats are combined into one stat, how pogo stats are converted into CP, and the ways in which it weights things. The way PoGO stats are converted goes like -- Mainline game base stats - conversion formula - pogo base stats -conversion formula - CP. In some cases CP isn't even a good indicator of how powerful a pokemon actual is because of the way the formula is...

...But I just realized actual CP values don't matter much anymore since things aren't sorted by CP. Though, if they're still planning on using it in the game as they are, they should better representative.

I'll give you the main problem with both formulas.

PoGO base stats are what determines how strong a Pokemon actually is in this game. The problem with the conversion there is it favors Pokemon who excel in either a special or normal stat. To be more clear, if a Pokemon has an abysmal special defense, but a super high defense, it will get nearly all the benefit from just excelling in that one stat, and the low stat will only account for 1/8th of influence on the base PoGO defense stat. Which means that Pokemon that are traditionally more balanced in both stats get shafted hard, and of course, Pokemon that excel in both stats are good to go. Same for attack. In the mainline games, Pokemon with a more balanced defense stat in the moderate ranges worked much better than they do in PoGO.

The issue with the CP conversion formula is that it, for whatever reason, heavily priorities attack over defense. Not to mention pretty much shafts speed too. Steelix is a good candidate for a Pokemon that is shafted by BOTH formulas, especially when compared to Rhydon, who has a notably lower stat score in the mainline games. And then see their max CP in PoGO: 2439 vs 3300

Whoa. Two Pokestops near me just turned into gyms!

Awesome! I was just reading a thread on theSilphRoad suggesting that there should be more gyms now.

There's already a gym a few blocks down from me on the end of some neighborhood, but it would be so awesome if one at my local park (as I don't like sitting on the side of the road). Pls rng

gutshot

Awesome! I was just reading a thread on theSilphRoad suggesting that there should be more gyms now.

Yeah, I saw on Twitter that was happening and decide to force quite the app and see if any near me had changed. Sure enough!

So everyone, restart your app and see if any near you have changed over.

border

You redeem your PokéCoins only after your Pokémon returns from the Gym. You can redeem a maximum bonus of 100 PokéCoins per day. If you have more than one Pokémon return from Gyms in a single day, the maximum bonus for the day is still limited to 100 PokéCoins.

So if you have 2 Pokemon returned to you in the same day, and each one is supposed to bring back 75 coins......you're only going to get 100 coins in total. That's kinda bullshit, IMO. I don't mind the daily limit, but this system potentially fucks you out of coins. You should be able to defer your collection for a few days to so as to prevent this.

You redeem your PokéCoins only after your Pokémon returns from the Gym. You can redeem a maximum bonus of 100 PokéCoins per day. If you have more than one Pokémon return from Gyms in a single day, the maximum bonus for the day is still limited to 100 PokéCoins.

So if you have 2 Pokemon returned to you in the same day, and each one is supposed to bring back 75 coins......you're only going to get 100 coins in total. That's kinda bullshit, IMO. I don't mind the daily limit, but this system potentially fucks you out of coins. You should be able to defer your collection for a few days to so as to prevent this.
I never even got close to getting 100 coins so I don't mind this a bit lol

GulAtiCa

Actually, that sounds better. Limits the coin in take, but really helps against those trying to hold 40 gyms at once to gain the system. Will esp deter spoofers from gaining the system.

border

I never even got close to getting 100 coins so I don't mind this a bit lol

The point being is that it's possible to get cheated out of coins you earned by the daily limit, assuming you have multiple Pokemon knocked off in a day. I think a Weekly Limit would make a little more sense......often times rival gyms will roll through a neighborhood and take everything down, meaning that long-defending pokemon could be coming home all at once.

I was wondering what it meant when a gym I clicked on said 'gym_under_construction'. This will be a really neat update. Looking forward to going out and meeting people for raids too.

border

I hope there's some kind of limit on how many times you can berry-feed a particular gym.

It's going to be really irritating if I spend 10 minutes trying to beat down a rival gym, only to have a spoof bot show up and top the whole thing off with a bunch of berries. A lot of this update relies on Berries being a relatively rare and valuable commodity.

Qwark

I can see at least 10 new gyms around me, yass. I was concerned the gym scene would be overly competitive now, but if there's a lot more gyms, bring it on.

border

Is there any video footage of the raids?

Are raids 1v6 or 1v1? Like, if the raid boss is Gyrados do I need to assemble a team of 6 Jolteons? Or is it 1 Gyrados versus my 1 single Jolteon?

gutshot

Is there any video footage of the raids?

Are raids 1v6 or 1v1? Like, if the raid boss is Gyrados do I need to assemble a team of 6 Jolteons? Or is it 1 Gyrados versus my 1 single Jolteon?

You bring a team of 6 Pokemon, just like when you battle a gym.

raid_lobby.png

border

I don't see how they are going to prevent the Gym Badges menu from being a completely cluttered and unmanageable mess. A listing of the hundreds of Gyms people have (or will) interact with doesn't seem like the greatest idea.

border

What will the Preferred Gym Composition be now?

1. Blissey
2. Snorlax
3. Dragonite
4. Rhydon
5. Tyranitar
6. Chansey (maybe just as a troll/roadblock)

Dynasty

1 new gym in my area, make a total of 5 gyms within a 5 min walking distanc eof my house. Hopefully gyms are more interesting now. Anyone know when the update is going to go live? Want to immedietly hit all 5 of those gyms.

-MB-

Look like they converted a ton of pokestops into gyms here. Effectively doubling or even tripling the count we have now.

gutshot

1 new gym in my area, make a total of 5 gyms within a 5 min walking distanc eof my house. Hopefully gyms are more interesting now. Anyone know when the update is going to go live? Want to immedietly hit all 5 of those gyms.

Niantic rep said expect it to take days, not hours.

I don't think the update has even hit the Play Store yet, let alone the App Store, which is always 24-48 hours behind.

elguero

If I get home from work and find that my neighborhood's pokestop that's in a construction zone for the next year was converted to a gym I'll be furious.

GulAtiCa

If I get home from work and find that my neighborhood's pokestop that's in a construction zone for the next year was converted to a gym I'll be furious.

Why? You can spin a Gym now for items, and get way more items in general from a Gym then Pokestop, so they are more important now. The only downside literally is that they can't be lured.

elguero

Why? You can spin a Gym now for items, and get way more items in general from a Gym then Pokestop, so they are more important now. The only downside literally is that they can't be lured.

The construction zone is gated off and actually highly dangerous to trespass on so the only people that will be able to reap the rewards of it will be spoofers.

zulux21

The construction zone is gated off and actually highly dangerous to trespass on so the only people that will be able to reap the rewards of it will be spoofers.

so what you are saying is construction workers are not people :p.

also... so what if spoofers are the only ones that can benefit from a location. it's not like them messing with some place you can't get to really effects you.

Beyond that aside from at the launch of the update the spoofing really shouldn't be a big deal. the game is still popular but there isn't any long term benefit to continually spoofing, they get bored and stop so it shouldn't be a huge deal, or just report them.

Top Bottom