• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

zulux21

The Silph Road created a new Raid Tracker / Cordination tool on their website! Check it out here: https://thesilphroad.com/radio This will very much come in handy for Raids. Note: You will need a Reddit account I believe for this to work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...ouncing_the_silph_roads_official_raid_beacon/

that is nifty but at the same time my town rarely updates the nests let alone something like this.

I think I am just going to have to give up on level 4 raids. don't think I will ever get the people to do it.

I could join something like discord, but i imagine people will just be in madison instead of my town. I still refuse to drive anywhere to play this game so yeah.

border

The Silph Road created a new Raid Tracker / Cordination tool on their website! Check it out here: https://thesilphroad.com/radio This will very much come in handy for Raids. Note: You will need a Reddit account I believe for this to work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...ouncing_the_silph_roads_official_raid_beacon/

Unto itself I think it's a great idea, but in my neck of the woods people are already communicating on several different Discords, Facebook chats, and SMS group chats. Another group-finder only serves to splinter the active playerbase further.

Niantic needs to have a player communication tool in the app to really make a dent in the problem. They also need to make Level 3-4 raids visible beyond your immediate area, so people can log in and queue up for those without driving to a particular location. It would also help if they didn't make you wait for the raid egg to hatch to see what the raid is going to be. Just give the eggs a particular tint or color to indicate what will be hatching.

gutshot

This is what sucks about the new coin system. I already got my 50 coins early in the day yesterday but then this happens...

Code:
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TiT7eM2c88jccZQqpnAX0gDD_n4cwjO3gVBTQ3d-DDGejlHZ8iJ-cukCqzWs1D5dUo2Pw9TZco_yE81V9xCqrmpnMB_xMAjMJnpVZT6MPBVHP4gqT2-z-X_jNLwjgvm6ckEascpJHVMuBASrBCb9D-P5mdU0p0v5x2m-vnfZk4Lz4b9LxI1RNygT9svbscNAOPsItXFKmO-XTfd6VaQOZM6oAQzt8jb0E_pfCnUeRT1YlvEj5TxaD5Wt6Cinnf6QV2uRehpFHY-uUYOn2NbwFnBBhU_tHzy-Garqh4RK6R-WfBfOHj19-7sDoB2LPYzINSxRYYB0XPQzDv5Sw0HM2RVZiLSaPHBgHbl76xAiwH8PpnxGxHfPaCqCivCdRU09mXyNwqeU1iB0aFwMBBxDR8HL3zm18xd6E-y8SZ7iGgQPfhgK2FQyUHB42UkqmpvJmflHa-ttsYOmo6B5fQfWQHi4jjIl9BkCiFrPnb0nTi9C-pbiTBvR4G8mnOLGCL4QIS8WhF_tZwsjmt0TJGy9QFMjwZRpB53Tia-CuHMsALXd1ebGujG76AMuYxpl_Z7LpGfT_Jfc3yLB2G7XDSMKpZ95O1KDLW_7wmCoOfvHIiCKvxK4hOAY=w900-h1600-no[/IMG]

A Donphan that has been in a gym for 2 days gets returned to me 19 minutes before midnight. I get 0 coins from him. And then my remaining two Pokemon who are still left in gyms today, did not get kicked at all. So I missed out on my 50 coins today (through no fault of my own, I should add!) by mere minutes.

It is so dumb that you don't have any control over when you can collect your coins and can just get completely screwed. Niantic needs to fix this.

Ryhian

I'm hopping back into the game after a few month break since the new update. I have to say, as has been mentioned before, discord for your local area is pretty amazing. I've found a lot of people will join a raid based on announcements in discord. I was able to find it from local reddit sub.

Also my local discord has an alert setup based on some tracker that auto updates and shows the raid bosses and location when the eggs hatch.

so I love raids.

What they need to do is have coordinated group battles at different locations. Have Quests where their needs to be groups of raiders split up and defeating pokemon at different locations given a certain time limit. Then have amazing rewards if groups manage to complete it.

Piers

I'd like to enjoy raids more but I think it needs a visual indicator on the gym that there's people looking for party members (i.e. 120 second countdown) — too often I spend the free battle pass only to find there's no one. I get the "Why not make friends? :)" intention but it's not always practical.
Also I get the impression Red team were cheating on my local gym. Pokemon I KO'd had all their health immediately back up, and on the last battle, the fight suddenly ended halfway into timer and health (kicked back into the map), and there was a new Pokemon immediately replacing old one.

-MB-

Finally managed to participate in a Level 4 Raid Tyranitar today, when yesterday I could not because the game errored em out constantly.
Did 2 such raids today, both with 11 trainers and caught both Tyranitars!
Not so good statwise though. But the candy is always useful.
Also got my first 2 TMs.

Rafavert

You guys expect gen 3 this year? I'd love it personally, but don't have much hope. Kind of expecting one gen per year. Meanwhile I'm stocking on candy for gen 4 evolutions =p

GulAtiCa

Totally expecting 2 new gens a year. Maybe 3 depending on timing. Like every 5 months.

I don't expect gen 3 till end of Summer. This week would seem little early. But be awesome if we got it early.

Growlie19

Went to a 4* raid, which ended up being a Snorlax. What started as just me turned into 16 others, including a couple church buddies I haven't seen since I stopped going to church. Poor thing never stood a chance, and it was mine in two balls. It's great to socialize with (mostly) total strangers, bonding over this game.

XAL

Man they nerfed the shit out of rare candy drops, last 10 raids I've only gotten 2.

I've never seen more than 3 people at a raid spot, myself included. I live in San Francisco even.

They really need to show people in lobby before you use your pass.

gutshot

You guys expect gen 3 this year? I'd love it personally, but don't have much hope. Kind of expecting one gen per year. Meanwhile I'm stocking on candy for gen 4 evolutions =p

Gen 3 will likely be the 3rd or 4th quarter update. It could drop as early as late summer, but more likely sometime in the fall.

elguero

Gen 3 will likely be the 3rd or 4th quarter update. It could drop as early as late summer, but more likely sometime in the fall.
That's what I'm expecting. Legendaries will probably roll out within the next month. I'm still hoping for more shinies soon as well. Would be cool to add one new shiny every week or something to keep the game fresh.

GulAtiCa

Man they nerfed the shit out of rare candy drops, last 10 raids I've only gotten 2.

I've never seen more than 3 people at a raid spot, myself included. I live in San Francisco even.

They really need to show people in lobby before you use your pass.

What were the lvs? Cause I got like 6+ rare candies at a Snorlax raid on Saturday.

But yeah, they need some kind of system to determine how many will show up. The Silph Radio tool I posted, should help out.

Firemind

Totally expecting 2 new gens a year. Maybe 3 depending on timing. Like every 5 months.

I don't expect gen 3 till end of Summer. This week would seem little early. But be awesome if we got it early.
New gens will be once a year guys lol. Maybe 9 months. Gen 3 is huuuuuuge.

Caught my 20.000th Pokemon o/

Also got the last raid in town. Only 5min left, that was close. I don't understand why the raids end so early. Maybe because of the kids.
It was Electabuzz and suuuuper easy. If I dodged I would have only needed 1 Pokemon. Gonna try lvl 3 raids solo next. Should be doable.

Had a very frustrating weekend with this game.

Attempted a Snorlax raid on Friday after getting out of work early. The players in my area refuse to coordinate for anything other than Tyranitar, Snorlax, Lapras, and Machamp so it's not often I get to even try a raid since I only get a few hours a day at best to play. The raid was a 6 min drive for me and 8 people chimed in on the chat that they were going. I say I'm on the way with a 6 min ETA.

I arrive in 6 mins as stated and park (it was a church, 3 cars/8 people in the parking lot) check the chat.... and they just said they completed it. Thanks for going without me guys! Everybody leaves and some fuckwad nearly backs his car into mine because he's dicking around on his phone while backing out. I'm pretty pissed at this point. I hang around the Snorlax raid for 10 mins trying to get another group...nobody shows. I try a Muk raid on the way home....revives and more golden razz berries. Muk runs. Whatever, didn't need him anyway. I see an Electabuzz raid shortly after...shop doesn't load, can't buy a pass. This goes on for 15 mins, after countless reboots. Raid expires.

I go home after spending an hour and a half aggravated.

Saturday I have some time in the morning to play...no good raids spawn all morning on the chat. People post pics of eggs, they hatch, starter raids and other junk that nobody wants. I fill my bag and head home.

Today I don't time to play at all, busy all weekend. Chat's blowing up with awesome raids all day.

I'm done until legendary raids are introduced. I have the regional dex finished, I have strong enough mons to be decent in those raids. I just don't have the time to watch a telegram chat feed all day and drive all over town to MAYBE do a raid if enough people show up, MAYBE beat it if the game works correctly, MAYBE get some decent items and MAYBE catch the raid boss if it doesn't run. And gyms blow ass now. Happy to hear it works for some of you guys, but they're dead as could be around here. None of the regulars care anymore.

I'll do my daily rewards and hit a solo raid on the way home from work and that will be the extent of my play in between events. My playtime has dropped dramatically since the update anyway. It just isn't as fun anymore.

Firemind

You should make a complaint in the chat. We also had people who didn't wait for others even though they said they would be there soon. Total dick move.

Piers

You should make a complaint in the chat. We also had people who didn't wait for others even though they said they would be there soon. Total dick move.

Again, I think this is why gyms need visual info on whether there are players waiting in a lobby, and how many people are currently attempting a raid.
I sometimes want to be at a gym as soon as an egg hatches out of paranoia that people are immediately going to be spending their gym pass and finishing it asap, and I'll arrive too late without any way of knowing.

Man, even thinking about how raids lack this is kind of irritating me because it's such an obvious thing. Some logical designers probably wanted to do this but others were "No, it must be organic and players must ask people in the area if they want to raid, in the most socially awkward way possible!!"

Myself and two other people just dropped a tier 4 Lapras with time to spare and not even half our pokemon dead.

They need to make Blissey high tier raid just for the challange.

elguero

Killer weekend of PoGo for me. Caught my first Tyranitar after 14 people from my local discord showed up to the raid. All really cool people and a super diverse crowd. When this game works as designed it's really something special, just wish that ideal state was available to all players.

I've been holding off on evolving so many Pokemon for a long time because I've been waiting for some kind of stat/CP &/or move rebalance/addition update. I thought it would come with this gym update.

I ran a bit to get to this raid that was going on. Had to fight this Weezing alone, and it was way harder than I was expecting it to be. I thought I'd have it easily with my Alakazams. Didn't realize how "glassy" they would be, especially considering it had Dark pulse with was annoying as heck to deal with.

I ended up spending a lot of stardust to level them up a bit along with some other Pokemon and eventually won. (Also I later realized if I had used my Rhydons and Golem with ground type moves I could have easily beat it without doing that -_-) Since I had done that, I decided what the hay, I'm going to evolve a bunch of Pokemon I can evolve and power up some fun Pokemon. The existence of TMs made me feel much more safe in terms of doing that sort of thing. Now I feel like my PoGO game is a big invigorated. Here's my top list currently.

4F7qQql.png
GqHeP0Y.png

w4kKKn6.png

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to fix the broken gyms? A friend and I took down two gyms and each put a Pokemon in. We can't join each other's gyms because they're both marked as under attack permanently. :(

GulAtiCa

Is there any way to fix the broken gyms? A friend and I took down two gyms and each put a Pokemon in. We can't join each other's gyms because they're both marked as under attack permanently. :(
Sadly no. You gave to wait up to an hour. They really need to fix this.

At least the recent patch fix the more lag issue

Firemind

You both need to be in your Pokemon inventory screen to prevent the bug from happening. So don't add your Pokemon until you confirm that.

Tried my first level 4 raid yesterday. Was a Snorlax.

5pm on a Sunday, not far from city centre, got there like 30 seconds after it popped.
Ended up having 3 people and we only got it half down.

Not going to waste my passes on a level 4 again.

I really, really wish the gym badge system had been in place since the beginning.

I travelled to places in the past year that I'll likely never visit again and I wish they were on my map permanently.

How many gym badges do you all have so far? I'm only up to 36 but I've been ill since the update so not ventured out too much.

I really, really wish the gym badge system had been in place since the beginning.

I travelled to places in the past year that I'll likely never visit again and I wish they were on my map permanently.

How many gym badges do you all have so far? I'm only up to 36 but I've been ill since the update so not ventured out too much.

Yeah I like it. Got 32 so far.
Do we know if the gym badges are worth something. Like what do you get for silver, gold etc.?

GulAtiCa

I have 48 currently.

The badges determine how many extra items you get from a gym. Gold + being your team gym = quite a bit. I forget the exact amount

Firemind

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed that. How many times do you have to visit a gym to get it to gold?
A lot. You also get points for defending and attacking gyms, but in my experience it's easier to just defend them and rally up points. My highest one is like 5% into silver, so it will take a lot to earn a gold badge.

Just did a Lapras raid. Went with 3 friends. We almost made it but failed but then 2 others showed up and even more showed up when we already beat it.
I didn't catch it though. Lapras is a pain in the ass to catch. I missed most of my balls *sigh*

What surprised me the most is that I didn't know that if all your 6 Pokemon get defeated you can choose another 6 and get back into the same raid. That makes a lot of things a lot easier knowing that lol.

There's a Lapras raid 20 mins from my work.
I'm assuming there's no way I can take him down by myself right?
There's only twenty minutes left so if a group was going to attempt it they would have already right?

What happens if a group takes him down and then another turns up afterwards, is it too late, can a raid only be completed once?

(Still confused by the whole system, yet to do a raid where anyone other than me has turned up).

There's only twenty minutes left so if a group was going to attempt it they would have already right?

What happens if a group takes him down and then another turns up afterwards, is it too late, can a raid only be completed once?

(Still confused by the whole system, yet to do a raid where anyone other than me has turned up).

Me too. My place sucks.

gutshot

Well, if there's 20 mins left and it will take you 20 mins to get there, I would say it's not worth going. :p

But to answer your questions, in my experience, it usually takes at least 15-20 mins before a group will start battling. It takes time to broadcast when a raid boss has hatched and for interested people to get to the gym and get organized. I've even waited close to 45 mins before starting a battle, so don't just assume there will be no one if the timer is past the 30 min mark.

Each individual player can only defeat a raid boss once. So players who've already defeated the boss can't help latecomers (which is something I hope Niantic will change in the future). But it's not like the boss becomes unavailable for everyone once one group takes it down.

Lastly, I think it is worth going to lvl 4 raids, even if you don't know who else might be there, because you may meet some folks and can join and/or start a chat group and try to coordinate better for future raids.

Yeah unfortunately if one group already beat it and another shows up after it's too late. imo they should change that. If you already beat the raid you should still be able to do it again as often as you want but not get any rewards again. That way you should still be able to help others, that would be nice. When we were trying to catch the Lapras others showed up and asked if we already finished, I felt sorry for them.

And no you can't take him down by yourself. We didn't even make it with 4 people on our first try. I think 3 might be able to do it if they have the right Pokemon and strategy.
Lvl 3 raids can be done by one person imo.

Firemind

Just did a Lapras raid. Went with 3 friends. We almost made it but failed but then 2 others showed up and even more showed up when we already beat it.
I didn't catch it though. Lapras is a pain in the ass to catch. I missed most of my balls *sigh*
Lapras is really far away which is difficult to throw a curveball, whereas Tyranitar just constantly attacks and jumps. I don't know which one is the lesser evil.

I did a 6-man T-Tar raid today and failed lol. We wanted to split into groups to get the most damage contribution. I asked for everyone's levels, but despite Tyranitar having a million weaknesses, people still choose Pokemon with Bug, Poison and Ice attacks lol.

GulAtiCa

At least he's weak to bug attacks. Though lol at using ice, and even more so to Poison attacks. (even more so to anyone that ever uses phychic on him)

Firemind

Yeah but KINGLER. I can't believe you're level 30 and decide to bring Kingler and Nidoking as your six baddest mofos to bring down T-Tar.

I even saw people use Gyarados with Twister. TWISTER.

Top Bottom