• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Burbeting

Banned
LD4OQhK.png

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!
(Banner is made by Gaffer Haly)

Amount of players: 23
Closed set-up, but with some mechanics/roles revealed in the opening post.

“Hello there! Welcome to the world of pokémon! My name is Oak! People call me the pokémon Prof! This world is inhabited by creatures called pokémon! For some people, pokémon are pets. Others use them for fights. Myself...I study pokémon as a profession.”

Welcome to the world of Pokémon! It’s a world where 10-year old children leave their home and start wandering the world all by themselves without any source of food, or protection from evil criminals roaming in the streets and the bushes. Why do they do this? Why, to battle all sorts of blood-thirsty predators and monsters, of course! Luckily, no fatalities of human children have been reported… at least so far. It’s little hard to tell, with there being just one Officer Jenny in this whole vast world of Pokémon.

Still, even in this dangerous environment, some people emerge as Pokémon masters. They battle each other with their Pokémon, and defeat evil crime syndicates along the way. The Pokémon themselves seem to be happy enough about serving their human masters towards their selfish needs.

This is a tale of one separate incident inside this vast, strange land of many continents…

In the isolated island of “NeoGAF”, there lived whole bunch of Pokémon in peace and harmony. There were some human trainers in this weird, yellow-black-ball shaped island, but other than that, the creatures were able to mind their own business. But that was about to change, as the evil Team Rocket arrived. Their purpose was to kill all of the Pokémon there, just to sell them off for some meager cash.

“This simply won’t do!” So the Pokémon thought by themselves, and the time for a great battle was about to begin. But the Pokémons weren’t exactly the smartest of the bunch, so there was no way of knowing who was good and who was evil from simply looking at them…

And little did the Pokémon know, Team Rocket weren’t the only new inhabitants on this island

---

The Most Important Stuff:

Welcome to Pokémon mafia, a game of Mafia set on the theme of Pokémon. The game is a closed-set up, so the roles aren’t known at the beginning of the game. However, there are few exceptions:

1. There will be multiple Pokémon trainers in this game, who can use their Pokéballs to capture Pokémon to their team. If a Pokémon is caught, they will be informed with a PM about it, coupled with complimentary information.

2. This game is a Cosplay Game. All players will have a named role, and all players who need one, will be given a safe claim name to use.

3. The town sided players are titled “Pokémon living in the island”.
The scum sided players are titled “Team Rocket members”.
Any existing or not-existing neutral/other sided players would be titled something outside of this.

---

Final Survivors of the Island
1. roytheone [m]
Scum Strongman Jessie, Survived the Game
8. Fireblend [m]
Scum Ninja James, Survived the Game
15. Sawneeks [f]
Scum Roleblocker Caterpie, Survived the Game
17. Lone_Prodigy [m]
Scum Goon Tauros, Survived the Game

DEAD MONSTERS
5. Bronx-Man [m]
Celebrity Charizard, Lynched D1
16. Hyperactivity [m] --> Barrylocke [m]
Pokémon Trainer Lady Gaga, Night Killed N1
9. Royal_Flush [m]
Ordinary Lickitung, Lynched D2
11. El Topo [m]
Ordinary Mincinno, Night Killed N2
6. Ty4on [m]
Pokémon Trainer Gabe Newell, Night Killed N2
10. Darryl [m] --> TheGoddamn [m]
Pokémon Trainer Donald Trump, Lynched D3
14. Gorlak [m]
Ordinary Furfrou, Night Killed N3
23. Christina Mackenzie [m]
Ordinary Bunnelby, Night Killed N3
7. SalvaPot [m]
Ordinary Chansey, Lynched D4
13. Unmasked Ferret [m]
Tracker Sylveon, Night Killed N4
2. Sophia [f] --> StarSketch [f]
Doublevoter Piplup, Night Killed N4
4. Blargonaut [m]
Scum Bomb Klang, Lynched D5 (Won later)
20. Kawl_USC [m] --> *Splinter [m]
Odd Night Commuter Hoothoot, Exploded D5
22. Verelios [m]
Ordinary Rattata, Night Killed N5
19. StanleyPalmtree [m]
Trainer Searcher Pikachu, End Game'd
12. melonrabbit [f]
Doctor Onix, End Game'd
21. nin1000 [m]
Lady Gaga Replacement Zigzagoon, End Game'd
3. Dusk Soldier [m]
Ordinary Skitty, End Game'd

EARLY WINNERS
18. Ynnek7 [m]
Pokémon Go Trainer RetroMG, Won N4

---

Ordinary role PM:

Welcome to NeoGAF Island, full of wonderous Pokémon. What type of Pokémon might you be…?
Oh, I remember now!

You are *Teddiursa* (#216), a Normal Type Pokémon!
You are aligned with Pokémon living in the Island (which means TOWN).

Sadly, you don’t have any special powers. But you can vote!

You can also be caught by the Pokémon trainer into a Pokéball. If this happens, you will be informed with a PM.

You will win, if all of the forces that may disrupt the town are defeated!

Game thread is here: (link added later)

NOTE: *Teddiursa is just an example Pokémon name, and won’t actually be used during the game. However, all ordinaries will be Normal-type Pokémon.

Burbeting

Banned
Fundamental

1. All site-wide rules are also applicable here. Please do not tarnish this community.
2. Unless your Role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, discussion about this game is strictly confined to this thread.
3. Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not quote or posts screen-shots of any PMs or posts that were not made in this thread. Obviously this is a grey area, but please try and play sportingly.
4. Within reason, you are allowed to lie about any game material or game-related conversations that could conceivably have appeared outside this thread [such as the content of role PMs or private chats allowed by a role]. If unsure whether a lie is reasonable, please ask the game-runner.
5. Do not refer or discuss to player activity in other forum threads or life in general beyond the game.
6. The player list includes the preferred personal pronoun of each player. Please try to use the correct pronoun.
7. Please be nice to your fellow players. Mafia can be a tense experience, and occasionally aggressive play is useful, but remember this is game and that everyone should have fun.

Activity and Deadlines
8. Treat this game as a commitment. Remember that other players' fun is dependent on your participation; this game only works if you remain reasonably active.
9. If you do not post in this thread at least once per Day Phase period without prior permission, you will be sent a PM requesting you respond immediately (a "prod"). If you do not respond to a prod by the end of the following Night Phase, you will be replaced.
10. If you need an extended period of absence for some other issues in life, please notify the game-runner by PM in advance. Leave of up to one Day and Night Phase (five days) is possible.
11. If you expect to be unable to post for a period of 7 days, please notify the game-runner by PM so that you can be replaced in good time - we're sad to see you go, but other players need to be able to continue to play.
12. Each Day Phase will last 4 days. Day Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 96 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
13. Each Night phase will last 3 days. Night Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 72 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
14. If a Phase ends and the game-runner has not received an action PM from a player with a relevant action, then that Phase will end with that that player making no action.
15. In the event of a day ending with no player having a plurality of the votes, then the game will proceed to the next night phase with nobody lynched ("no-lynch").
16. If a replacement is needed, they may PM the game-runner once to request the Night Phase in which they join is extended by up to 2 days, to allow catch-up time.
17. Game-runners may change the length of Phases at their discretion. However, they will inform players at the start of the equivalent Phase before (i.e., if Day 7 is set to be shortened, players will be no later than the start of Day 6).

Voting, Lynching, and Death
18. For your vote to count, it must be presented in the following format: VOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
19. To remove a vote from a player, you must present in the following format: UNVOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text. It is not necessary to unvote before casting new vote for a different player; unvoting is simply to remove a vote without casting a new one.
20. Players may use VOTE: No Lynch to end the Day Phase without a lynch ("No Lynch"). It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
21. Misspelt votes will be accepted within reason; if the game-runner is unsure they will notify you and in the meanwhile discount the vote. Votes in broken tags will not count.
22. Once someone has received a strict majority (>50%) of the available votes, the day ends with the Lynch of that player or a No Lynch (whichever applies). Once this has happened, any further votes or unvotes that Phase will not be counted, and the Night Phase will begin shortly.
23. Some roles take place between the end of the Day Phase and the start of the Night Phase, so game-runners may allow a short period of time for this "Twilight Phase". Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not post during the Twilight Phase.
24. Once you are dead, you are dead: you may no longer discuss the game in ANY manner with ANY of the remaining players. Dead players may PM the game-runner one last message for the other players (a "Will"), which the game-runner will post on their behalf in the thread. The sole condition is that it contains NO game-relevant information, e.g. "Thanks guys for an excellent game!" is allowed, "My partner was John!" is not.

The Dead Thread
25. To allow dead players to freely discuss the game with other dead players, a secret thread will be created.
26. On death, a player can either opt to join the replacement list, or receive a link to the Dead Thread. They may not do both. If a player opted to join the replacement list, they may change their mind, but players who have a link to the Dead Thread cannot act as replacements.
27. The Dead Thread will also be made available to non-players, provided they have played in at least one GAF mafia game before in which they did not go inactive. These non-players will also be disbarred from the replacement list.

Other
28. Outside of votes and explicit allowances made by role PMs, the use of the highlight tag is strictly the game-runner's prerogative. Do not use it.
29. You may not put any active players in this game on your ignore list. If you have an active player on your ignore list, please remove them. Obviously this is on the honor system, but please don't do it, or joke about doing it.
30. Do not edit your posts. If you are a repeat offender, a replacement will be sought.
31. Do not use the email tags to hide extra content in your posts.
32. A list of the votes so far (a "Vote Count") can be requested by contacting any game-runner or game-tutor.
33. Game-runners reserve the right to add, remove, or modify existing any rules at any point, and enforcement may be applied retroactively. However, all players will be informed of changes, and changes will be consistent across games.
34. In general, do not try and exploit loop-holes in the rules.
35. Completed GAF games are often read by people thinking of signing up in the future. As such, please keep your avatar spoiler free - it should not allude to your role or alignment.
36. I will accept Night Actions up to one hour before the Day starts. Missing actions will be decided at Moderator’s discretion.

Burbeting

Banned
Some Game Specifics:

I allow self-voting.
Strict majority system is in place, so 50% of the votes + 1 (For example, during D1 majority is 13 votes)
I may shorten day/night phases later when player count decreases.
Don’t post in this thread after a Day has ended, even if I haven’t posted the lynch results yet. There may be roles that act during Dusk.
Please take into consideration that other players are just human beings as well as you are.

The Game uses Royal_Flush's Vote Tool in order to make vote-counts. Link is here: VOTE TOOL (Note: Ctrl+R clears cache, in the case it seems the tool does not count newest votes)

Opening Post

Day 1 begins
Day 1 ends
Day 2 begins
Day 2 ends
Day 3 begins
Day 3 ends
Day 4 begins
Day 4 ends
Day 5 begins
Day 5 ends

Day 6 begins in:

bla_1475866800.png

Announcement: I may be too lazy to search English Pokemon names (They get translated into German whenever the name is a play with words or it just would sound weird pronounced "in a German way". I catched some names like Charizard but don't expect me to know without looking it up how e.g. the bee one from gen 1 is called in English...). I also have only little knowledge of Gen 4 onwards.

Kawl_USC

1. Can we keep the new pokes to a minimum? Been on semi black out for sun and moon you barbarians. Pokemon is one of the few games that makes me feel alive still. Post one of the 600 old ones ; ;

2. Do you guys prefer vgc style doubles or smogon 6v6 singles? A singles player myself. Usually hyper offense or balanced, stall is for losers.

1. Can we keep the new pokes to a minimum? Been on semi black out for sun and moon you barbarians. Pokemon is one of the few games that makes me feel alive still. Post one of the 600 old ones ; ;

2. Do you guys prefer vgc style doubles or smogon 6v6 singles? A singles player myself. Usually hyper offense or balanced, stall is for losers.

Smogon 6 vs 6

I'm strange in that my teams are almost always hyper offense, bulky offense, or stall. Barring the massive set-up heavy pressuring multiple win-conditions style of hyper offense, where you sometimes have cores of pokemon with the same counters that are meant to just hit hard enough against said counters to blast through them, I LOVE the switching mechanic of Pokemon, and as such will otherwise tend to lean towards teams that have switch ins for most pokemon.

That being said, I typically play lower tiers, as because they aren't meant to be the standard tier, the mods and leaders care less about only banning what's absolutely broken as making a overall fun metagame. Also, playstyle variety is often-times greater in lower tiers, and they're far more likely to have the sort of pokemon gameplay I love, that of generation 3 and 4's metagames.

What I mean by that is that back in generation 3, in the competitive metagame, Gyarados and Salamence would regularly use Hidden Power Flying, a base 60 power move, as their main STAB. Dragons weren't guaranteed great Dragon/Fire/Fighting/Ground coverage options, and power creep wasn't as bad imo. Gen 4 was the beginning of this changing, but it was still a good balance imo, and the physical/special split WAS a good thing.

I would say that this meant that your team depended more on the team, and I think that's what I like about bulky offense and stall as playstyles. The more team and core reliant playstyle, where no individual pokemon has as many options, is really appealing for me.

你好

Google translate at work, lol

lol nice.

I prefer triple battles, but I play mostly vgc doubles since it's more popular than triples.

Fireblend

Banned
I built a Trick Room team once because I wanted Solosis and Mawile in a doubles team. It was fun but not very successful, and that was my only attempt at an "online-ready" team. Maybe with S/M I'll get into the competitive aspect more.

Also can I bribe players in this game with 4-5IV 'mons? I have some breeding rejects I can offer.

Ynnek7

Heya, everyone!

Oh no, game starts in just a few hours and I won't be home in time to change my avatar to something fitting... Let's just pretend their are a couple geodudes and pidgeys flying around the climber for now!

roytheone

YOU WILL GET ROWLET PICTURES AND YOU WILL LIKE IT :mad:

_pokemon__rowlet_by_leokatana-da27teo.gif

RetroMG

Heya, everyone!

Oh no, game starts in just a few hours and I won't be home in time to change my avatar to something fitting... Let's just pretend their are a couple geodudes and pidgeys flying around the climber for now!

Gotcha covered.

PwzZ3nF.jpg

Sophia

If anyone can make me an avatar of Lyra that's similar in style to my current Aigis one, I'd use it for the game. :eek:

Burbeting

Banned
Day 1

Another wonderful morning was beginning in the Pokémon island of NeoGAF. But even though there was the urgent case of Team Rocket infestation going on, there was something even more to discuss about... or in this case, scream about.

"C'MON!!!"
"DO IT!"
"I'VE WATCHED YOU FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS! WIN FOR ONCE!"

All of the Pokémon were staring at a big-ass television. What that was doing in a place with no electricity or even decent signal, no one knew. What everyone knew though... was that the Kalos League finals were being shown, albeit few weeks late, since this was just a re-run. Ash Ketchum had actually made it to the finals for once, and the Pokémon were quite pleased about that.

"How come he is still ten years old? He should be like 30!"
"Shh! DO IT! DON'T DO A CHARIZARD NOW, GREININJA!"
"DOOO IITTT!!!"

But... as fate had always decided, Ash Ketchum lost once again in the finals. That poor kid was always destined to become the biggest loser, like no one ever was.

"THAT'S IT! ENOUGH!" Screamed one of the creatures watching the television, this one was seemingly called Ourobolus. "I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE!"

And with that, Ourobolus exploded into tiny pieces of anime character.

Ourobolus has left the game!

Welcome to Pokémon Mafia!

Your role is... Yosuke Hanamura! You are destined to become possibly even bigger jobber, than what Ash Ketchum ever was.

You cannot win. Instead, you are regulated to do vote-counts sometimes.

"Wait, was that one who exploded even a Pokémon?"

But nobody seemed to care about the things that had just happened. It was time for some Team Rocket hunting!

Day 1 begins

Majority is 12 votes

bla_1474052400.png

nin1000

Banned
Satoshi: Stop.
Takeshi: Satoshi.
Satoshi: Just stop already!
[Mewtwo and Mew shoot their psychic beams toward each other]
Satoshi: Stop!
[Satoshi runs to the middle of the fight where he gets hit by the beams]
Kasumi: Satoshi!
Takeshi: Satoshi!
Pikachu: Pika pi.
[Satoshi falls to the floor]
Mewtwo: Fool! A human tried to stop our fight?
Pikachu: [runs to Satoshi] Pika pi! Pikachu?
[Satoshi becomes stone, then Pikachu shakes him]
Pikachu: Pika. Pika pi. Pika pi.
[uses Thundershock to Satoshi]
Pikachu: Pikachu!
[but nothing happened]
Pikachu: Pika pi.
[uses Thundershock again]
Pikachu: Chu!
[still didn't revive him]
Pikachu: [Pikachu continues shocking Satoshi, but to no avail]
Pikachu: Chu! Chu! Chu! Chu!
Kasumi: Pikachu.
Pikachu: [exhausting its Thundershock] Chu!
[panting]
Pikachu: Chu!
[didn't shock Satoshi this time]
Pikachu: [panting before starting to cry]
[Then, Jugons, Gyaradoses, Fushigabanas, Zenigames, Lizardons, Fushigadanes, Kamexes, Rokons, Goducks, and the rest of the Pokémon cries for Satoshi]​

Fireblend

Banned
RIP. Moving on to the real scum tells:

Shift or Set?

Also let it be known I'll prioritize lynching genwunners over everyone else.

Top Bottom