• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Fastest-Selling Nintendo Game in Americas

Zalman

I should add that I don't doubt that there are people who will wait for "Stars", but yeah... When that leak first came out I saw quite a few people who legitimately thought it would seriously hurt sales of Sun/Moon.

I really wonder what this means for the Switch version. I'll have to go look up some data on how other "third version" titles did.
Broadly speaking: They usually do around the 7-8 million mark, which is about half of what the initial pair does.

This thread has detailed sales data.

wFK16.gif

Congrats to Nintendo and the Pokémon Company.
Both games are in beast mode.

Yup, congrats are in order. Holy crap that percentage increase from X/Y is mind blowing. I didn't think X/Y was that bad either.

jjonez18

Ha! Take that Japan!

Next Pokémon game to be based off America entirely.

The legendary Pokémon will look like a Bald Eagle with a Red, White, and Blue color scheme.

The question now is how Nintendo maintains this momentum and translates this audience to the switch. Pokemon is pretty much as popular as ever and is their biggest draw card, if they handle it right on the switch it alone nearly guarantees them success.

This is also a clear indication that their mobile success can translate back to their dedicated HW. I'm not expecting the same boosts for animal crossing or Marino but if they see even a fraction of this level of success it would be huge for nintendo.

Edit: curious to see HW sales. With the cheap 3DS models and the huge success of Pokemon I think there could be a huge spike in 3DS HW sold.

Interfectum

The question now is how Nintendo maintains this momentum and translates this audience to the switch. Pokemon is pretty much as popular as ever and is their biggest draw card, if they handle it right on the switch it alone nearly guarantees them success.

This is also a clear indication that their mobile success can translate back to their dedicated HW. I'm not expecting the same boosts for animal crossing or Marino but if they see even a fraction of this level of success it would be huge for nintendo.

Yup. It doesn't have to do Pokemon numbers but it's clear that if people like your stuff on mobile they will look elsewhere for your products as well if the hype and quality is there. Nintendo really needs to not fuck up with Switch because they seem poised for a decent success with it.

Their January reveal will probably let us know if there are any warning signs (system power, price, OS issues or whatever).

Makonero

Ha! Take that Japan!

Next Pokémon game to be based off America entirely.

The legendary Pokémon will look like a Bald Eagle with a Red, White, and Blue color scheme.

I bet the next game is a Kanto sequel. With maybe a return to Alola (and the island challenge) for a postgame?

Mr-Joker

Banned
I will eat Murkrow as I thought that Pokémon Go would bomb and offer nothing to the series, I was wrong and I am glad that I was.

Pokémon Go brought the series back into the public eyes with Sun and Moon offering something new that no previous Pokémon titles offered.

So given this success, will Ohmori replace Masuda for the main directorial role in the series?

I would be okay with that, just that he needs to give trainers more than 2 Pokémon.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This is pretty fantastic to see. Even if I'm not enjoying Sun/Moon as much as previous entries so far, it's still a great series and a great game.

Also I'm curious how much of an effect it had on hardware. Is it mostly the folks who already had 3DSes buying the game or a lot of new folks? (the latter would be preferred obviously).

Retrobox

Kimishima used to be the president of the American Pokemon company. I'd say if anyone at Nintendo understands the significance the IP has for Nintendo as a whole and what needs to be done, it's probably him.

DR2K

Banned
Realtalk though did anyone expect a 85% increase?

I wasn't expecting this big of a bump. I knew it would be big though based on preorders and lots of people in line at midnight who only played Pokémon Go and bought a 3ds just for sun and moon.

asagami_

Banned
Really deserved. I don't know what will be Stars (third version, sequel or a mix?) and maybe will sell less than Sun and Moon, but it's not crazy expect will help to sell more Switch than Wii U in its 4 years.

Next year will be crazy for Nintendo D:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
X and Y are at like 15 million total now (worldwide), which is right about average for a non-remake going back as far as Ruby and Sapphire

Where does that put Sun and Moon at the end of the day? North of 20 million surely

Tom_Cody

X and Y are at like 15 million total now (worldwide), which is right about average for a non-remake going back as far as Ruby and Sapphire

Where does that put Sun and Moon at the end of the day? North of 20 million surely
I'm really curious to hear other global LTD guesses. It will be amazing if it passes Diamon & Pearl, and it looks like it very well might.

Peléo

It's good to see that by significantly "rethinking conventions" of beloved series Nintendo has been able to create games that appeal and amuse both critics and fan. Their increased IP usage in other areas is also helping in this regard. Their mobile startegy, at least for Pokemon has payed off. Cannot wait to see how Zelda BotW and Mario Switch will turn out in the end.

HardRojo

Holy shit that's insane! Good for the brand and companies involved, I won't be able to play it till next year as I don't have a 3DS currently, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

The Technomancer

I'm really curious to hear other global LTD guesses. It will be amazing if it passes Diamon & Pearl, and it looks like it very well might.

D&P only did 17 million (I believe, before you count Platinum) so I'd say they definitely will

The question is if they get close to Gold/Silver numbers

Azuran

Banned
They could have sold 20 more copies if Eurogamer hadn't leaked the Switch version.

Leaks are the cancer of gaming.

D&P had a bunch of prime years of the ds's life after they launched. surely they showed some crazy legs to help reach those numbers? even xy did a lot of its sales in a long tail. if the switch successfully absorbs the 3ds's user base, sun and moon might be comparatively frontloaded.

Instro

I imagine the recent uptick in 3DS sales in the west, plus recent pricing deals, also had a lot to do with this.

The Technomancer

That's insanity.

My site has had record hits too, and we can see why. This is just carnage. Pokémon is back on top

Good job on the speed of data btw. I went to Serebii over Bulbapedia because BP took like a week it seemed like to update everything (I still don't think they have location data for some reason)

So...if Sun/Moon keep this up and Stars is also a hit, could we be looking at the next "Gen 1" in terms of impact and nostalgia pull for a generation? Like how Gen 1 is referenced all the time and gets a lot of love, I wonder if aspects of Gen 7 will be referenced in the future for a new generation of people. It probably helps that Gen 7 is a bit of a reset in some ways.

I guess it also depends on if people like Gen 7 and end up with positive feelings towards it.

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised. It'd be a bit like the situation with Power Rangers, where technically the franchise had kept on going for quite a bit, but one entry came along (Samurai, in this case) that actually seized mainstream attention again.

Still, very well done. For a little perspective on the America numbers, 10 months into its release, X/Y had sold 4.11 million units in the US. I would bet good money Sun/Moon beating that in less than two months (as in, by the end of this year).
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/223539/Pokemon_beats_Mario_to_most_popular_3DS_game.php

Not to undercut how impressive this is, but couldn't the numbers vs XY also be related to the fact that this game has black friday sales in the first two weeks, where XY didn't?

Top Bottom