• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I know the file size is big.

but damn it takes forever.

4YD6ykOl.jpg

Delio

Okay Amazon says mine is Shipping soon and still has it down to deliver tomorrow. Come on now just ship out now D:

Fireblend

Banned
lol
Praise the Sun?

errr My problem is i bought Omega Ruby yesterday...as someone who hasn't played a Mon game since Ruby era, should i return it to buy this?

Why'd you buy OR knowing this was coming out in 2 days? :p

I like ORAS, I'd keep it and get both, but if you're not that much of a Pokemon fan might as well return it and get SM instead. Pokemon games are at its best at launch when everyone's excited and using the online features and sharing discoveries and trying out new teams.

AEC

Neo Member
Looks like Best Buy shipped my Sun and Moon copies early. The tracking info says it's out for delivery today.

Watching Werster (Australian speedruuner of Sonic and Pokemon games) live stream it. At the 1 hour 50 minutes he commented "I'm not speedrunning this" (there are way too many cutscenes). He is at the start of the second island now.

Just got a 'preparing to ship' confirmation from Game here in the UK. They still list the game as coming out next week but could they send it sooner? Don't usually go with Game but I had some credit to burn and I wanted that sweet Solgaleo figure.
What GAME tend to do these days for big releases is take money a bit early, put the games into envelopes and then won't send them out until a couple of days before release. With any luck you'll still get it a day before release (which is like several days later than the rest of the world).

Of course the real fun is what will happen on the high street...with XY many retailers sold the game as soon as they received it on the Wednesday (remember that release date was a Saturday).

Just got a 'preparing to ship' confirmation from Game here in the UK. They still list the game as coming out next week but could they send it sooner? Don't usually go with Game but I had some credit to burn and I wanted that sweet Solgaleo figure.

Lucky, I once had GAME deliver a game (Capcom vs Tatsunoko) and have it arrive 2 days before release :3
Sadly I went the amazon route and the 23rd still looks to be when I'm getting mine :/

big_erk

Wow, Nintendo has shipped 10 Million copies of Pokemon Sun/Moon for launch.

They're gonna have all the Pikachus this Xmas.

mjc

Question that may have been asked 5000 times: I've enjoyed Pokemon in the past but the challenge is totally gone. Are there easy ways to set a difficulty curve without actively avoiding major gameplay mechanics?

big_erk

And yet they only shipped like two dozen NES Classics

No, I'm not bitter

I know. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to bring the thread down.

I arrived at Nebraska Furniture Mart 5 minutes too late to get one on launch day. I'm still kicking myself.

Fireblend

Banned
Question that may have been asked 5000 times: I've enjoyed Pokemon in the past but the challenge is totally gone. Are there easy ways to set a difficulty curve without actively avoiding major gameplay mechanics?

1. Change the Battle Style to Set in the game options. This makes the game more strategic and more like competitive Pokemon since you don't get a free switch after knocking out an opponent's Pokemon. This is important.

2. The game is overall more difficult than the latest releases, as far as we know. AI is better and it has proper "bosses" with heightened stats now. Also some battles in a row without being able to save inbetween I think.

3. Some people would say don't use Exp. Share but that just removes some grinding so you do you on that end.

Delio

Watching Werster (Australian speedruuner of Sonic and Pokemon games) live stream it. At the 1 hour 50 minutes he commented "I'm not speedrunning this" (there are way too many cutscenes). He is at the start of the second island now..

Werster not wanting to speed run the game doesn't surprise me.

Dimmle

Change the mode to Set, turn of Exp. Share. Those are probably the easiest ways to increase difficulty without going full Nuzlocke.

Only thing I did so far was to start up the game, save at the earliest possibility, then transfer my Demo bonuses into my game.

I'll play for real once I'm done with work.

Wichu

In addition to what other people have said, try using some less powerful Pokémon rather than rolling with the best team possible. Try making Pokémon like Ledyba and Yungoos part of your core team. Give Pokémon that you wouldn't normally consider using a shot.

Zelias

Banned
Wonder if any UK stores will sell early this time round. Little annoyed that we get it late when the game leaked so early.

Ibuki

Banned
My copy from Amazon originally said it would be delivered Monday, but it was updated for early delivery on Friday. Why you gotta scare me like that UPS?

Excited for this for just one reason...

NUZLOCKE! Honestly I really can't get into Pokemon games nearly as well anymore unless I'm nuzlocking it. I know a few people mentioned in the spoiler thread they were going to nuzlocke it as well, for those that are what rules are you planning to use?

I generally go with...

THE RULES:
1. If a Pokemon faints it is considered dead, you have to release it. No reviving!
2. If I 'white out' and have all of my team faint it is consitered game over even if I have other Pokemon in the box.
3. You can only catch the first Pokemon you see in each route, if it is killed or runs away I cannot catch anything else on that route.
3A. Duplicates Clause is in effect. If the first Pokemon I see in a route is a Pidgey and I already have caught a
Pidgey I can catch the first Pokemon I see that I haven't already caught.
3B. Species Clause is in effect. If I have a Weedle and it is ALIVE and I run into its evolution a Kakuna I cannot
catch it and the Duplicates clause takes over. If I caught a Weedle and its DEAD then I can catch the Kakuna.
4. I must nickname all of my Pokemon
5. Items are allowed to be used in battle. However, I cannot buy any healing or status effect items in Pokemarts.
6. Battle Style is SET

=======

Copied from the ruleset I'm using for my Fire Red Nuzlocke I'm recording for my youtube channel atm. The only difference with this is that rule #5 will likely be changed to being able to buy items but can only use items during boss fights and only as many as the enemy trainer can use (and if I don't know I'll generally assume 2 unless I see more).

I've spoiled myself on a lot of things with the general story and what not (as chances are I'll fail the nuzlocke the first time through) but I'm also buying both games (CE XD) and I plan to have a normal playthrough on the other version as well but I'll be specifically not going past where I am in the nuzlocke so I don't have any advance notice to prepare for.

Also for those interested in seeing a Nuzlocke in action for this game, Projared hinted that he would be streaming a nuzlocke starting tomorrow at 4PM EST time. https://www.twitch.tv/projared for those who want to check it out. Jared in general is hilarious and so much fun to watch. While we talking Nuzlockes feel free to check out his original one here: Fire Red Nuzlocke

Or if you just want to know how badly his first blind nuzlocke went for Pokemon Y...

This episode will give you some idea...

I'm not gonna do anything crazy like Nuzlocke for my first playthrough, but I AM going to play in SET mode for the first time. I've always played Shift, but I want more of a challenge. I want to dig a little more into competitive and online battling this time, so I should get used to battling in set mode.

dukie85

I hate living close to Amazon warehouses... not seeing shipping notifications till the night before always kills me :/

Turn off the EXP share and change the battle style to SET in the options menu, you'll earn less EXP overall and cannot react to your opponent's pokemon fainting switch in immediately. Anyone interested in pokemon "difficulty" should start with these options as they are in the game before looking into community creations like Nuzlockes.

I have a feeling that this game might be a bit mean on Nuzlockes.

Producer

Is there a canon name for the main characters? I am always bad at coming up with my own names

As a side note i am pretty hype to get these games, havent really played a pokemon games in years and i really liked all the changes i saw in the demo.

Rainy

Banned
I put in my pre-order for Moon on Tuesday on Amazon. It originally said I would get it on the 22nd. I talked to Amazon and got them to give me 1-day shipping for free since I'm a Prime member. After that it said the 21st. Now it says it's coming tomorrow! I'm so excited.

Ah nice thread Gotzon!
I have a little link thing here for the Pokemon Go community if you want to link to it. I've been trying to make it easier to navigate PokeGaf with links to various discussion threads.

(I also made another one that's a little more in tune to your aesthetics for this thread too:

I added one to our GO thread for this discussion thread too! My game is on the way for tomorrow and waiting all day today is killing me.

Is there a canon name for the main characters? I am always bad at coming up with my own names

As a side note i am pretty hype to get these games, havent really played a pokemon games in years and i really liked all the changes i saw in the demo.

I think it's just:

Boy = Sun

Girl = Moon

mjc

1. Change the Battle Style to Set in the game options. This makes the game more strategic and more like competitive Pokemon since you don't get a free switch after knocking out an opponent's Pokemon. This is important.

2. The game is overall more difficult than the latest releases, as far as we know. AI is better and it has proper "bosses" with heightened stats now. Also some battles in a row without being able to save inbetween I think.

3. Some people would say don't use Exp. Share but that just removes some grinding so you do you on that end.

Very interesting, thanks for the information!

Puruzi

Banned
I will never understand the difficulty meme. Pokemon was never hard but for what it's worth people have said that this is challenging compared to other entries.

Top Bottom