• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

SuperOrez

So ever since the ratings battle reset I've been winning one battle and then losing the next. Due to Pokebank I've got a ton of teams that I'm mix and matching to try to find what works consistently. These weather teams, these Tapu terrain teams and even my trick room teams just struggle to win more than 50% of the time.

Although my full fledged trick room team seems to do best last night I caved and went with a team based on the top 15 or so pokemon for doubles. And it does okay as well, but using Garchomp, insert Tapu here, and Porygon 2 just feels so unoriginal.

Does anyone have any success with a weirder strategy or is this just what I'll have to do if I want to beat the more mainstream teams?

I think I'm gonna make a Torkoal Liligant team pretty soon but yeah, trick room keeps messing me up. In Y I used to have A Noivern with Choice Specs and a Raichu. I'd open up with a fake out and Noivern would use switcharoo. Can't do that now though.

I think I'm gonna make a Torkoal Liligant team pretty soon but yeah, trick room keeps messing me up. In Y I used to have A Noivern with Choice Specs and a Raichu. I'd open up with a fake out and Noivern would use switcharoo. Can't do that now though.

Yeah maybe I should breed a Lilligant or other grass type to go with my fire set up. But my Torkoal also really benefits from trick room as well. It's just tougher to have two different types of setting up both weather and trick room while someone's hitting hard with the Tapus or Garchomp.

I've considered trying to run two different weather set ups on one team. Like a Pelipper with Torkoal or Ninetales but I just can't seem to make that work either.

ch4fx_

Pokebank question, please --

I downloaded the bank x months after it came out & eventually deposited some Pokemon from X that I meant to move to ORAS. That transfer never happened & I've since grabbed a new 3ds (new NNID also).

Can I, somehow, recover those Pokemon? Is the Pokebank tied to your console/NNID, or does it (hopefully, maybe?) have its own separate login?

Wichu

Pokebank question, please --

I downloaded the bank x months after it came out & eventually deposited some Pokemon from X that I meant to move to ORAS. That transfer never happened & I've since grabbed a new 3ds (new NNID also).

Can I, somehow, recover those Pokemon? Is the Pokebank tied to your console/NNID, or does it (hopefully, maybe?) have its own separate login?

It's tied to NNID. Sorry :(

ffdgh

So....yeah. Might not want to make QR rental teams.
e5YuU.gif

JoeInky

So can you get the genesect, upload it to bank and then delete your save file to get another one or does it know that it's the same cart or something?

CazTGG

Yeah maybe I should breed a Lilligant or other grass type to go with my fire set up. But my Torkoal also really benefits from trick room as well. It's just tougher to have two different types of setting up both weather and trick room while someone's hitting hard with the Tapus or Garchomp.

I've considered trying to run two different weather set ups on one team. Like a Pelipper with Torkoal or Ninetales but I just can't seem to make that work either.

You could always go with a Roserade. Be it rain (which removes its Fire weakness), or sun (1-turn Solar Beam), it works wonders with Weather Ball (Not sure if Technician gives it a boost when weather is active but it already gives you a 100 BP move that's boosted in Rain/Sun) and has a plethora of status moves to choose from. It would work well with Torkoal since it's walled by steels outside of Sun-WB/Hidden Power Fire.

Smasher89

So can you get the genesect, upload it to bank and then delete your save file to get another one or does it know that it's the same cart or something?

Yes you can, not sure how early in the game you access mystery gift, and youll need to progress far enough to get access to pcs redo it. Farmed both japanese mews and draco meteor jirachis through resetting the file back in gen 4 in a similar way!

Regiruler

My favorite battle tree npc has to be the chef that boats to you before the battle, but runs saying that he didn't have the ingredients anyway.

Two fold fuck:
1. Fuck gamefreak for being morons
2. Fuck anyone who abuses this, this is why we can't have nice things

Looking at that tweet chain SciresM hasn't actually made that work public, and I doubt he would either, the issue will be if someone less ethical stumbles across that and duplicates it (its a lot easier to find things like this when you know they exist).

I really do wonder how some of the largest software companies in the world (Gamefreak is a Nintendo subsidiary) can consistently make amateur mistakes like this.

So I just got the Beast Ball and do you really only get 10 for the whole game? Now I guess the random Beast Ball Beldum I got on Wonder Trade is more valuable. Beldum is so damn hard to catch even regularly!

So I just got the Beast Ball and do you really only get 10 for the whole game? Now I guess the random Beast Ball Beldum I got on Wonder Trade is more valuable. Beldum is so damn hard to catch even regularly!

I believe you can get extra by giving them to Pokemon and stashing them in the PC and talking to the person who gave them to you before you catch all the Beasts.

spiritfox

You get more every step, plus you can talk to Looker and get 1 if you're out.

Will a later Pokemon in an SOS chain be better in terms of stats even if its a lower level?

Sort of. A) Chain benefits aren't completelty deterministic but the latter in the chain you are the better the chance of getting them.b) It boosts IVs not stats, so a much lower level pokemon even with better IVs will have worse stars but if you raise it to the same level it'll end up with better stats.

(As someone who just spent an hour and a half SOS chaining a Happiny off a Igglybuff, I really don't recommend doing this stuff until late game when you easily control almost everything about the encounter. )

For specifics on how many you have to KO to get something:

0-9: 0% chance of Hidden Ability
10-19: 5% chance of HA
20-29: 10% chance of HA
30+: 15% chance of HA

5-9 : 1 perfect IV guaranteed
10-19: 2 perfect IVs
20-29: 3 perfect IVs
30+: 4 perfect IVs

0-69: Normal shiny chance
70+: 3 extra rolls

The counter is 8-bit, so it'll roll over after 255.

I'm hoping someone has the answer to this weird mechanical question:

If you evolve a HA Pikachu into Alolan Raichu (which has Surge Surfer as all its abilities) does it still count as a HA Pokemon (ie can you breed HA Pichu / Pikachu from it ?). If its consistent with previous games the answer should be yes.

JoeM86

Bottle Cap event has begun in Europe

Problem is...
C3u0ldaWcAAciAz.jpg

Seriously, what the hell is going on with Game Freak at the moment? With this and the online hack check being broken for over a week and a half now, I wonder what is happening.

Greedings

I got bored of the post-game and thought about starting over.

I just...don't want to lose the mons I spent hours breeding and levelling. Argh! This is always my problem with Pokémon games.

Yay, finally completed my first IV chain on Dratinis. After 50+ I settled for a Dragonair and with all perfect stats except for Defense which is kinda crappy.

When I evolve my Dragonair, it keeps those perfect IVs right?

Also, is there a way to raise the Defense?

Sort of. A) Chain benefits aren't completelty deterministic but the latter in the chain you are the better the chance of getting them.b) It boosts IVs not stats, so a much lower level pokemon even with better IVs will have worse stars but if you raise it to the same level it'll end up with better stats.

(As someone who just spent an hour and a half SOS chaining a Happiny off a Igglybuff, I really don't recommend doing this stuff until late game when you easily control almost everything about the encounter. )

For specifics on how many you have to KO to get something:

0-9: 0% chance of Hidden Ability
10-19: 5% chance of HA
20-29: 10% chance of HA
30+: 15% chance of HA

5-9 : 1 perfect IV guaranteed
10-19: 2 perfect IVs
20-29: 3 perfect IVs
30+: 4 perfect IVs

0-69: Normal shiny chance
70+: 3 extra rolls

The counter is 8-bit, so it'll roll over after 255.
Thanks guys!

Since I'm still new to this whole Hidden Ability concept, if I have a Hidden Ability Ditto, does that allow any offspring to have a Hidden Ability? Or, if I have a Hidden Ability of one other Pokemon, could I spread Hidden Abilities by breed chaining?

Since I'm still new to this whole Hidden Ability concept, if I have a Hidden Ability Ditto, does that allow any offspring to have a Hidden Ability? Or, if I have a Hidden Ability of one other Pokemon, could I spread Hidden Abilities by breed chaining?

No, to both*.

*With 2 "sort of" exception for the 2nd question, you can spread Kanto Form HAs to Alolan Forms by breeding in Alola without use of an Everstone on the Kanto Form Pokemon. You can also spread HAs "within a species type" eg a Nidoran (F) / (M) bred with a Ditto can produce the other sort of Nidoran with it's HA (and the same is true of Meowstic (a HA Meowstic (Female) can produce a Male HA Espurr which will evolve into Meowstic Male with it's HA and other similar Pokemon).

Trading or getting from pokemon red/blue/yellow on 3DS(all pokemons from there have HA).

As an Addendum once you've got HA Pokemon, you can breed more of them for the Breedable types. I just did a trade on Gamefaqs and got all 20 HA Gen VII Pokemon lines currently available.

Yay, finally completed my first IV chain on Dratinis. After 50+ I settled for a Dragonair and with all perfect stats except for Defense which is kinda crappy.

When I evolve my Dragonair, it keeps those perfect IVs right?

Also, is there a way to raise the Defense?

Thanks guys!

Raise it to level 100 and use a Bottle Cap on it.

Alternatively, keep breeding Dratinis until you get one with perfect IVs. Use an Everstone to keep its Nature and a Destiny Knot to pass down 5 IVs from the parents. Then all you need to do is raise it to level 50 to have it compete.

Can someone explain hidden abilities to me? How do I get them?

Raise it to level 100 and use a Bottle Cap on it.

Alternatively, keep breeding Dratinis until you get one with perfect IVs. Use an Everstone to keep its Nature and a Destiny Knot to pass down 5 IVs from the parents. Then all you need to do is raise it to level 50 to have it compete.

Great thanks!

Can someone explain hidden abilities to me? How do I get them?

Great thanks!

For Pokemon you can encounter in "Wild Encounters" in Sun / Moon the answer is SOS chaining (keep knocking out Pokemon called for "help") and once you've knocked out 30, start testing Pokemon coming in for HAs.

For other Pokemon a handful aren't available yet (Heatran, Passimian, Orangura, the Tapu's, the Gen 2 Legendary Dogs, and the Gen VII Starters).

Gen 1 Pokemon can get HAs from being Banked from the VC releases of R/B/Y.

Many other Pokemon can be found in Gen VI either through Friend Safari's or through DexNav in ORAS.

There's also a few in Grotto encounters in B2W2.

Unfortunately there's a handful that can only be obtained by trading and breeding (they were only from Dream World which is gone now, or were from Events).

I maintain a complete collection of Breedable HA Pokemon ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy2hx6aogeoakgs/HA Checklist - Filled - Gen VII.xlsx?dl=0 ). So if you can't get a Breedable HA by other means feel free to drop me a PM.

Demoli

Turns out all you need to do is post a resonable goal and people will do it.

My VGC team's winrate skyrocketed once I replaced arcanine with Gyarados and switched porygon-2 and lele with Nihilego and Koko. Gyarados was specially important since he is able to fill the intimidate niche and set up on so many threats. Koko is great too for the ridiculous AoE he has.

C3wuunTWcAI7CoO.jpg

We did it!
Delicious FC!

Onwards to 2 million
Turns out all you need to do is post a resonable goal and people will do it.

My VGC team's winrate skyrocketed once I replaced arcanine with Gyarados and switched porygon-2 and lele with Nihilego and Koko. Gyarados was specially important since he is able to fill the intimidate niche and set up on so many threats. Koko is great too for the ridiculous AoE he has.
Reasonable goal and something that's done often already. Also helps that you need to go to the Plaza to use GTS anyway.

I really want to create VGC team but I don't know where to start lol

Demoli

Delicious FC!

Onwards to 2 million

Reasonable goal and something that's done often already. Also helps that you need to go to the Plaza to use GTS anyway.

I really want to create VGC team but I don't know where to start lol

Okay, here are tips for the creation of VGC teams.

First and most important thing, this is Doubles, so stuff like entry hazards, set up moves and toxic, which are very prevelant in singles, are almost non exhistent in VGC, save a few exceptions. Instead, what you'll see much more is AoE moves and Protect.

Second: Protect. This is most likely the single most important move in VGC. Unless you are running a Choice set or an Assault vest, you WILL want protect. This can buy you turns if you are up agaisnt trick room/tail wind, and specially agaisnt terrains and weather. Predicting a double up on a pookemon and protecting it gives you a turn to do whatever you want with your other pokemon. It also adds synergy to:

Third: AoE moves. Earthquake is already the best physical move in singles, but in VGC it becomes much mroe devastating due to it hitting everyone on the field excluding the caster. Discharge is the same thing but electric type, slightly weaker and with a chance of paralysis. Surf is the same. For these moves, having a partner thats immune to these moves is ideal, but Protect allows pokemon that are normally weak or take neutral damage from these to save themselves from a teamkill and gain damage on the enemies.
Another kind of AoE are moves that hit only the oposite field. The most common moves of this kind are Muddy Water, Dazzling Gleam and Hyper Voice (less so in vgc2017 due to no move tutors). These don't require the synergy the likes of EQ do, but tend to be weaker.
The most important part of these AoE abilities is that they can hit the enemy even if they have a redirecter with follow me or abilities, which reminds me:

Fourth: Abilities. Many abilities gain more importance in doubles. Telepathy allows pokemon to not get teamkilled. Weather/Terrain abilities are much more powerful in doubles. Lightning Rod and Storm drain go from being an extra immunity with a boost to being essential to redirecting attacks aimed for your partners. Levitate allows for great synergy with EQ users. Perhaps the single most powerful ability in doubles however, is intimidate. Intimidate lowers the attacks of both opponents, and having an intimidate user on your team is increadibly important to check strong physical sweepers like Garchomp or hard hitters like Muk, Marowak, Snorlax and Kartana. This ability, couple with the burn status, is responsible for Special attackers being way more common than physical attackers.

Fifth: Items. As you guessed, many items gain extra importance in VGC, particulary Berries. Since VGC is played at a base level of 50, berries heal in bigger proportions. Sitrus berry usually heals a quarter of a pokemons health, and the 50% berries are great for pokemon with Gluttony ability, when they otherwise would only trigger at 25%. Resistence berries are also useful in a few situations. Due to this, and the short nature of fights, items like leftovers and black sludge don't find as much use. Choice Items are riskier due to the double up factor, with Scarf being the most used. Everyting else is about the same.

Sixth and final: Z-Moves.
While in singles the only z moves you see are support moves like partingshot, conversion and whatnot, with the ocasional Z-Fly being sprinkled here and there, in Doubles Z-Moves are great to furhter boost a move's power to make sure you can knock down a big threat on the other side. Z moves also have the added benefit of hitting through protect, albeit at a 75% decrease in power. An interesting factor of z-moves is that if you do a Z-Move of a AoE move, it will become single target, therefore skyrocketing it's damage potential compared to a normal move (For example, a standart 252 Att Garchomp using EQ in doubles cannot OHKO 252HP/0Def Muk, but with Z-Earthquake it becomes isngle target and can easily pick up the KO)

And thats pretty much it! The biggest threats so far are Garchomp, which can run a variety of sets, Koko with it's insane AoE, Lele with her insane single target burst, A-Muk with an increadibly powerful knock off and the ability to power through all the tapus, and Gyarados and Arcanine, the best intimidaters available, with gyarados being more of a set up sweeper and Arcanine being more of a support with Will-o-Wisp and Snarl, but with the ability to surprise with a surprisingly effective offensive set due to his large movepool.

For reference, here is the team I am using

Hope this helped

Okay, here are tips for the creation of VGC teams.

First and most important thing, this is Doubles, so stuff like entry hazards, set up moves and toxic, which are very prevelant in singles, are almost non exhistent in VGC, save a few exceptions. Instead, what you'll see much more is AoE moves and Protect.

Second: Protect. This is most likely the single most important move in VGC. Unless you are running a Choice set or an Assault vest, you WILL want protect. This can buy you turns if you are up agaisnt trick room/tail wind, and specially agaisnt terrains and weather. Predicting a double up on a pookemon and protecting it gives you a turn to do whatever you want with your other pokemon. It also adds synergy to:

Third: AoE moves. Earthquake is already the best physical move in singles, but in VGC it becomes much mroe devastating due to it hitting everyone on the field excluding the caster. Discharge is the same thing but electric type, slightly weaker and with a chance of paralysis. Surf is the same. For these moves, having a partner thats immune to these moves is ideal, but Protect allows pokemon that are normally weak or take neutral damage from these to save themselves from a teamkill and gain damage on the enemies.
Another kind of AoE are moves that hit only the oposite field. The most common moves of this kind are Muddy Water, Dazzling Gleam and Hyper Voice (less so in vgc2017 due to no move tutors). These don't require the synergy the likes of EQ do, but tend to be weaker.
The most important part of these AoE abilities is that they can hit the enemy even if they have a redirecter with follow me or abilities, which reminds me:

Fourth: Abilities. Many abilities gain more importance in doubles. Telepathy allows pokemon to not get teamkilled. Weather/Terrain abilities are much more powerful in doubles. Lightning Rod and Storm drain go from being an extra immunity with a boost to being essential to redirecting attacks aimed for your partners. Levitate allows for great synergy with EQ users. Perhaps the single most powerful ability in doubles however, is intimidate. Intimidate lowers the attacks of both opponents, and having an intimidate user on your team is increadibly important to check strong physical sweepers like Garchomp or hard hitters like Muk, Marowak, Snorlax and Kartana. This ability, couple with the burn status, is responsible for Special attackers being way more common than physical attackers.

Fifth: Items. As you guessed, many items gain extra importance in VGC, particulary Berries. Since VGC is played at a base level of 50, berries heal in bigger proportions. Sitrus berry usually heals half a pokemons health, and the 50% berries are great for pokemon with Gluttony ability. Resistence berries are also useful in a few situations. Due to this, and the short nature of fights, items like leftovers and black sludge don't find as much use. Choice Items are riskier due to the double up factor, with Scarf being the most used. Everyting else is about the same.

Sixth and final: Z-Moves.
While in singles the only z moves you see are support moves like partingshot, conversion and whatnot, with the ocasional Z-Fly being sprinkled here and there, in Doubles Z-Moves are great to furhter boost a move's power to make sure you can knock down a big threat on the other side. Z moves also have the added benefit of hitting through protect, albeit at a 75% decrease in power. An interesting factor of z-moves is that if you do a Z-Move of a AoE move, it will become single target, therefore skyrocketing it's damage potential compared to a normal move (For example, a standart 252 Att Garchomp using EQ in doubles cannot OHKO 252HP/0Def Muk, but with Z-Earthquake it becomes isngle target and can easily pick up the KO)

And thats pretty much it! The biggest threats so far are Garchomp, which can run a variety of sets, Koko with it's insane AoE, Lele with her insane single target burst, A-Muk with an increadibly powerful knock off and the ability to power through all the tapus, and Gyarados and Arcanine, the best intimidaters available, with gyarados being more of a set up sweeper and Arcanine being more of a support with Will-o-Wisp and Snarl, but with the ability to surprise with a surprisingly effective offensive set due to his large movepool.

For reference, here is the team I am using

Hope this helped
Yeah I know all the basic stuff, my concern is more so on team building and preparing for common threats. I feel like the last point you point you brought up is important as well. Z Moves are scary and since the game is still new there's no real 'standard' Z sets to fully prepared for. There's also making super specific EV spreads like you mentioned in your pastebin. It all comes down to experience I guess...But getting to that point is difficult lol. All good fun though

Does anyone have a preferred or recommended way of leveling Pokemon up to 100?

I can't imagine there are many outside-the-box methods, but I've yet to reach 100 on a single Pokemon. 80-100 is a serious grind.

Top Bottom