• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black/White Sells 2.63m in first weekend (JP) -- best first week sales ever

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:
DS numbers will probably be insane too.
About this: Some retailer blogs reported many simultaneous DSi purchases (and rise in sales for older DS, GBA and GB Pokemons)
Kenka said:
Holy mother of Secudarabad, Pokémon sold a shitload during the Gold/Silver period. Where are these numbers from Chris ? Source ?
Every posted number is from Famitsu.

Mithos

MagniHarvald said:
Shipped yesterday, ça arrivera d'ici la fin du mois :p

Isn't White/Black regionlocked when played on DSi hardware?
I think i read that somewhere, gonna see if i find it again.

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
About this: Some retailer blogs reported many simultaneous DSi purchases (and rise in sales for older DS, GBA and GB Pokemons)

Every posted number is from Famitsu.
I can back this up. Seems that every new Pokemon release is an opportunity to catch up on the Pokemon catalog. No one bought the GB ones though: those are long out of print and incompatible with the GBA/DS games. :p

Jonnyram

Well, you didn't get many people buying two copies of FFVIII and DQIX just so they could get the full experience, either :p

Road

Chris1964 said:
If I expand the table it will be difficult to read. You'll have to scroll the bar to see all the contents.
Hmm, yeah, I forgot the quote block has "fixed" width.

You can include G/S, but keep only 2 columns for the +/- difference? I just thought it might be more interesting since it is the fastest selling entry.

Dascu said:
xgh3y1.jpg
No fucking way. They animate now?
HOLY SHIT

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mithos said:
Isn't White/Black regionlocked when played on DSi hardware?
I think i read that somewhere, gonna see if i find it again.

any "dsi enhanced" game is region locked when played on dsi

is pokemon black/white "dsi enhanced"? i heard it was, but i don't remember ever hearing what the enhancement were.

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
Leaving out spin-offs these are all Pokemon sales

27/02/96 [NGB] Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (Nintendo) - 140.074 / 7.783.101
12/09/98 [NGB] Pokemon Yellow (Nintendo) - 851.091 / 2.294.065
21/11/99 [NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 1.425.768 / 6.089.503
14/12/00 [NGB] Pokemon Crystal (Nintendo) - 707.580 / 1.871.307
21/11/02 [GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 1.245.003 / 5.337.045
29/01/04 [GBA] Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green (Pokemon Co.) - 955.337 / 3.054.165
16/09/04 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 643.987 / 2.173.727
28/09/06 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 5.767.283
13/09/08 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 967.675 / 2.539.431
12/09/09 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 1.408.980 / 3.864.639
18/09/10 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 2.637.285 / 2.637.285

1st generation totals :

2nd generation totals :

3rd generation totals :

4th generation totals :

5th generation totals :

10.000.000 ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
No one bought the GB ones though: those are long out of print and incompatible with the GBA/DS games. :p
Some at gamesmaya store did, if he is to be believed. Aren't there used copies out there?

Kenka

Stumpokapow said:

is pokemon black/white "dsi enhanced"? i heard it was, but i don't remember ever hearing what the enhancement were.

Video chat I think.

ReyBrujo

Sold out? It could have had a good chance at getting a millionaire second week, something I think only Dragon Quest did before...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ReyBrujo said:
Sold out? It could have had a good chance at getting a millionaire second week, something I think only Dragon Quest did before...

you are correct, dq7 is the only game that's broken 1 million in its second week

Mithos

Stumpokapow said:

Ohh, I thought that using the DSi features in DSi-enhanced games was optional, not forced.

But yeah White/Black have DSi-enhancements, and it was a reseller in Asia that I read the info from.

Kurtofan

Holy Order Sol said:
I'd rather play it in English despite French being my first language. Makes using smogon/serebii and other resources much easier.
Meh I don't care about that I just want the French names.

Koren

Chris1964 said:
You know, I even bought a HG/SS game last week because the threads about Black/White made me want to play some pokemon after Diamond... that's not so surprising, except maybe GB ones.

Kurtofan said:
Je veux le jeu en français dammit :mad:
On the opposite, I don't think I'll buy Black/White in french, the problem with name localization is that it's really difficult to discuss anything on english board.

Ondore

What was the selling price for this game in Japan, 3500 yen? I'm trying to see how badly it blew away the weekend box office.

Ondore

A Twisty Fluken said:
Amazon (JP) lists it at 4,800 (selling it at the moment for 4,280).

Assuming 4280 yen per copy, making this a conservative estimate... $132,262,410.

I said goddamn.

I predicted about 2.7 after seeing those preorder numbers, so I guess I was fairly close. It's quite an accomplishment that Pokemon is still so huge after 14 years...

Why do we have a topic for each piece of Pokémon news. There is somehow already two official threads (I don't know why...)

Yay it sold a bajillion, a ton of us also imported it. :)

It's fascinating to see how successful this series remains even today. The decision to establish a company dedicating to managing the series and to carefully husband it, rather than running it into the ground over the space of four or five years, was very astute.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lol @ Aquaman hate. Oh well, haters are gonna hate... and have their brain asplode.

Hm... how much did HG/SS sell compared to the older series?

cvxfreak

Ookami-kun said:
lol @ Aquaman hate. Oh well, haters are gonna hate... and have their brain asplode.

Hm... how much did HG/SS sell compared to the older series?

1. [NGB] Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (Nintendo) - 140.074 / 7.783.101
2. [NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 1.425.768 / 6.089.503
3. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 5.767.283
4. [GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 1.245.003 / 5.337.045
5. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver (Pokemon Co.) - 1.408.980 / 3.861.083
6. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 2.637.285 / 2.637.285

Since Pokemon Black and White require the older games for a complete collection, I imagine that HGSS should comfortably make it to 4 million in the not-too-distant future.

Top Bottom