• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO not out in Japan yet, targeting end of July (due server capacity)

Chaos17

960x0.jpg

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly...pokemon-no-in-its-home-of-japan/#3e383b751e1d

This article was writtent before of this week-end launch

Pokemon GO not out in Japan yet due to lack of “server capacity”, Niantic targeting end of July

Pokémon GO may be an overnight sensation in the US, Australia and New Zealand, but in its home country of Japan, where the main character Pikachu was born some twenty years ago, the all-new Pokémon phenomenon is still a no-show.

And that has left millions of local fans hoping for a quick release, frustrated and impatient. Nintendo , the company which owns the franchise, and whose shares have jumped 50% since the game’s launch, says they expect to make the game available to Japanese users, “soon, if not by the end of July”

So why such a long delay? According to John Hanke, CEO of Pokémon GO developer Niantic, it all comes down to server capacity. “At present, the server capacity in Japan is not powerful enough. We are working hard with our partners in Japan to enable the servers to keep up with demand once the game goes online there. We expect it to be released by the end of July,” he says. But other game watchers and those familiar with Japan’s network complexities are suggesting that mid-September looks more likely.

In Europe, they seem to have worked out their game server networks with Germany going online earlier this week and the UK to join the Pokémon GO tour within the next week or so. Hanke expects the game to expand to over 200 countries within a couple of months.

In commenting on the game’s delayed debut in Japan, Hanke added that Pokémon Go’s introduction into Korea and China will be particularly challenging. “Google GOOGL -0.08%’s map information system in Korea is limited due to security concerns over North Korea. In China, however, it is technically possible, but difficult to introduce due to the many hurdles, or should I say regulations we’d have to clear to get it to users.”

According to Forbes, the game was downloaded over 7.5 million times in the US making it a chart-topper on the list of free apps on the App Store. Currently, the game is freely available for download on the App Store and on Google Play but offers in-app purchases for additional items and power-ups. Meanwhile, in Australia, in-app spending was being driven by the large number of users, rather than fewer but bigger spenders.

Lock if old

Although it absolutely sucks for them... good. I think Niantic is being too aggressive with their rollouts atm. UK launch was finally stable on Friday and then they opened the floodgates to 26 countries yesterday, thus fucking the servers again.

Hopefully it hits by the end of July so the servers can stablize when I move back to a city in mid-August.

Picture of an Ingress event in Japan. Can't even imagine how Pokemon Go would look

CnhqQTdUMAAI_6p.jpg

massoluk

Banned
I hope they are able to launch in China some how, what a shame. That's huge market they are missing out because of the hurdle.

Vuze

Although it absolutely sucks for them... good. I think Niantic is being too aggressive with their rollouts atm. UK launch was finally stable on Friday and then they opened the floodgates to 26 countries yesterday, thus fucking the servers again.
Pretty much. I could barely play for 30mins today before servers went to shit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Good. The servers have been shit since the 26 rollout. Any new countries wouldn't actually be able to play the game anyway.

Lucumo

So that's why you asked whether Forbes was trustworthy, haha.

Yeah, the later it comes to Japan, the better it is for them. Less chaos and death.

Chaos17

So that's why you asked whether Forbes was trustworthy, haha.

Yeah, the later it comes to Japan, the better it is for them. Less chaos and death.

If Niantic feel not prepared then it tell us a lot about how Japan will hammer hard the servers Q_Q

Par Score

Yep, if anything they need to roll it back (not that that could ever happen).

Haven't been able to play at all this weekend, after it was pretty much perfect on Friday.

They should keep Japan last until other markets stabilize and their servers are ready. Japan will absolutely destroy the servers and everyone will lose their collective minds, especially if the server problems are already getting to them. This again, is assuming they haven't gotten the APK by now, and going off of my observations in Canada, the good majority might've already, unless there are strict laws about them in place.

Best wishes.

CryptiK

They already did the moronic thing releasing to 26 more countries. Im surprised they didnt take it a step further.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense...the world isnt ready for a Japan release.

SalvaPot

Right now the map in japan is absolutely empty, no pokemon, no pokestops, no gyms. At least what my GF showed me. She downloaded the game while on the US but recently moved to Japan.. Can someone in Japan confirm? It seems Niantic is actually blocking Japan for now to avoid giving the severs the kiss of death.

What about Canada though? :p
Obviously programming in every legendary to be located in the Northern territories, just to troll the shit out of us
because they're waiting for the dollar even drop more to justify 1.5 dollar conversion :p

I'll just download the apk at some point if it isn't out by the beginning of August

btkadams

Pokemon GO is showing on the Canada App Store for me right now but I get this error. Is anyone else able to download? I'm running iOS 10 so maybe my download is just bugged.

Release imminent?

ranmafan

I hope they make it out by the end of July. Gamers have been getting impatient and all here in Japan, especially with all the rumors and such. Thankfully Niantic said the game was coming soon at an event for their other big game in Tokyo over the weekend. But just how soon is anyone's guess. They really should get the game out this week if possible considering summer vacations start this week for many here .

Hopefully they get the server problems fixed but why weren't they more prepared for them I wonder? I mean this is Pokemon, they should've known it would be a huge game needing of more servers and all. But that does happen with many games these days it seems. Sad. Oh well I still wait patiently hoping it comes soon.

“At present, the server capacity in Japan is not powerful enough"

Hasnt stopped them everywhere else. Hope they can sort this game out. Its kind of a mess

“At present, the server capacity in Japan is not powerful enough"

Hasnt stopped them everywhere else. Hope they can sort this game out. Its kind of a mess

Japan is almost US tier in terms of users:population size, and if the servers they parsed out for the US and Europe WEREN'T CLOSE TO ENOUGH, it makes sense that they would wait to spruce up Japan's official launch.

Top Bottom