• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon US/UM will be the last Pokemon RPGs for 3ds

Servbot24

Banned
They will start with a new generation. Why would they start with a remake and why would it still be in Sun/Moon's generation?

That's such an illogical concept.

It's Nintendo.

And hey, for some reason fans seem like they would be okay with a Smash 4 remake instead of a new game, so Nintendo could probably get away with it too.

It's Nintendo.

And hey, for some reason fans seem like they would be okay with a Smash 4 remake instead of a new game, so Nintendo could probably get away with it too.
Nintendo doesn't make these decisions. Game Freak does. As always the first mainline Pokemon RPG on the system will be a new generation.

JoeM86

About freaking time...please move out of handhelds for once in your lives...

You know the Switch is a handheld, right?

It's Nintendo.

As said above, it's not Nintendo. Game Freak are the developers and they decide how the franchise goes.

Toxi

Banned
Looking at the sales of the last few 3DS releases, it looks like Nintendo overestimated the system's lifespan.

JoeM86

Looking at the sales of the last few 3DS releases, it looks like Nintendo overestimated the system's lifespan.

That's not it.

They decided to keep support of the 3DS in case Switch didn't do well. Switch has done well and people have been shifting over to that instead

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The anime is completely blazing through the plot though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gen 8 next year. If it really came out in 2019 that’d be more than 2 years since the announcement and that doesn’t sound right.
I don't know....it feels like it's too soon...
X & Y Gen had a total of 140 Episodes, Black & White Gen had a total of 94 Episodes and the Diamond & Pearl Gen had a total of 191 Episodes.

Sun and Moon has 46 Episodes so far and by mid November next year they should be at around Episode 98 if it continues that long...so yeah you're right if they want to they can end the current Gen Anime by next year but there's also evidence that supports they can stretch it to 2019 specially if Ultra SuMo adds a Battle Frontier/Factory and they do another one of those Arcs in the Anime.

JoeM86

The anime is completely blazing through the plot though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gen 8 next year. If it really came out in 2019 that’d be more than 2 years since the announcement and that doesn’t sound right.

It's not blazing through that much really.

Good. By far the most disappointing Pokemon generation(s) for me so far. I’d have thought the first 3D ones would be my favourite, but they sapped all the magic out of the series and replaced it with tonnes of jank.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Good. By far the most disappointing Pokemon generation(s) for me so far. I’d have thought the first 3D ones would be my favourite, but they sapped all the magic out of the series and replaced it with tonnes of jank.

What does this have to do with the system itself? It may very well be just as disappointing to you on the Switch.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I know the response from most is going to be "FINALLY," but I'm honestly going to miss the dual screen setup.
I love my Switch and my Vita, but not having a second *touch* screen to throw all my menu items and quickly poke at them is really a convenience I'm going to miss.

Thank god, the 3DS ones have been bad. X and Y were the first straight up bad Pokemon games I've played (I loved their creatures though), ORAS were remakes of great games that were not nearly as great, and I couldn't get past more than a few hours of SM's beginning story shit.

Ash getting the equivalent of Greninja-Ash (Lycanroc)
Main legendary plot introduced

All that happened on XY one year before the end. Also Ash is currently halfway through his island challenge.
My friend, let me tell you about a little thing we call FILLER....

Get ready to see a LOT of it!

As for the games, I'm excited for Pokemon Switch, but I'm worried GF will make it as barebones as possible with little to no features, since It's their first attempt at a game on a console with some real power. I really hope they find a way to implement things like DexNav, Poke Radar and especially PSS. Really miss 0-Powers in SuMo. :/

Ydelnae

I'm expecting them to take a year off in 2018 while introducing the first Gen VIII Pokémon via movies, anime or side games. I will be surprised if we start learning about the next gen games before early 2019.

I would love for the anime to go the Orange Islands route and offer original content before the next games are oficially announced so people flip their minds trying to guess what's coming, but I doubt we are ever getting an anime only region again.

JoeM86

All that happened on XY one year before the end. Also Ash is currently halfway through his island challenge.

Lycanroc is nothing like Ash-Greninja

Also, the legendary plot is going to be running for a long while.

Don't forget that this is a different story style now to how the last sagas were. You can't pinpoint it in such ways.

It's also highly possible that they have planned the anime through to 2018 just in case it does meet the initial date, but have a backup saga planned should that change (and it will). This happened in both the original and Advance series after Pokémon Gold & Silver got pushed from 1998 to 1999 and Diamond/Pearl got pushed from 2005 to 2006.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm worried GF will make it as barebones as possible with little to no features, since It's their first attempt at a game on a console with some real power. I really hope they find a way to implement things like DexNav, Poke Radar and especially PSS. Really miss 0-Powers in SuMo. :/

If the horrid performance of Diamond/Pearl and all of the 3DS games so far is any indication than Game Freak is not properly equip to be talking new hardware every single time so I hope they ask Genius Sonority for assistance since they have more experience than Game Freak at making Pokemon games in a Console.

So far my wish list for Gen VIII is that they lock performance down to 60 fps,stop adding so many Legendaries (at least not 23 of them) and to be content filled with features because X/Y ORAS and SuMo did feel very baren past the basics.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for next year. That'd make this the shortest generation and could mean it being rushed.

Is it really surprising though? They rushed out Gen VI in order to fit in Sun and Moon for the anniversary year. I can see them doing that again given that they're working on the Switch.

Atheerios

Maybe they can release Pokemon Switch on March 2019, seeing how Zelda was highly successful on that launch period.

I don't know how committed is Game Freak to its holiday releases though.

JoeM86

Maybe they can release Pokemon Switch on March 2018, seeing how Zelda was highly successful on that launch period.

Very and that would be just 4 months after Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. That's definitely not happening.

Pokemaniac

Even if it is getting close to a logical conclusion, that doesn't mean anything. In Best Wishes, Ash got his eighth gym badge really early and they ended up stalling a ton so the league wasn't too early.

I do wonder what the next region could be. Along with what purpose the new legendaries would serve since all of them seem to cover a specific thing or purpose.

Xion_Stellar

They seem pretty committed with the exception of Fire Red/Leaf Green and Red/Blue every single core Pokemon game including Remakes and 3rd Versions have released in September,October or November.

Delio

This feels like a no duh but i know some people where still clinging onto another game for the 3DS or just dont want to pay for a Switch.

I was kinda hoping for a remake this gen, since we're likely to see a fair wait otherwise (probably at least 2 and likely 3 years , to account for main titles , skip years and special versions) but I'm not surprised.

I am a little worried about how long 3DS Pokebank will be supported because it's termination will hard sever Pokemon transfers from GBA on, and Nintendo's online facility support has been pretty bad historically, especially since Bank is so tied to Nintendo's network via NNID use.

Plasmid

Very excited!! I hope Nintendo allows for 3DS-> Switch transferring. A rerelease of PDP and BW/Bw2 would be great for people wanting to get all the mons then transfer to Pokemon switch.
3DS had a great ride with Pokemon, need to replay X/Y soon.

mebizzle

I was kinda hoping for a remake this gen, since we're likely to see a fair wait otherwise (probably at least 2 and likely 3 years , to account for main titles , skip years and special versions) but I'm not surprised.

I am a little worried about how long 3DS Pokebank will be supported because it's termination will hard sever Pokemon transfers from GBA on, and Nintendo's online facility support has been pretty bad historically, especially since Bank is so tied to Nintendo's network via NNID use.

I'd love to see the first Switch title being set in Kanto, even if not a direct R/B or FR/LG remake. I think it would help a lot to sell to the more casual crowd that the Switch seems to be tapping into somewhat.

Hopefully they will support it for a good long while, and what they've done with the Gen I/II re-releases gives me hope that they would have some sort of workaround for the Bank.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
super excited for whatever is next and its a super cool indication that what they are working on is high fidelity and cant be ported down to handhelds

GoldStarz

You'll probably get your Diamond/Pearl remakes.
.....on the Switch after we get our first pair of Gen 8 games.

I mean RIP because Diamond and Pearl use the bottom touch screens for a lot of their major features like the Poketch and the Underground, so either the features will be removed or have to be heavily reworked.

You know the Switch is a handheld, right?
I mean, let's be real it's not. It is, you can totally use it as a portable system, but nobody treats it like it actually is one other than "Now I can play console games on the go." And because of this Some People are definitely going to expect a 'console-level' Pokemon game with a major jump in pretty much everything, rather than the gradual expansion (and probably removal of some features from this generation) that Pokemon usually goes through

Joey Ravn

Banned
I will get and play Ultra SuMo, but the sooner I can get out of Alola, the better. I really dislike the Island Challenge. I want my traditional Gym Leaders back :/

I understand this is an unpopular opinion and that people love the Island Challenge, though. I adore the games in terms of mechanics and technical improvements, but hate the setting.

Zalman

Very excited!! I hope Nintendo allows for 3DS-> Switch transferring. A rerelease of PDP and BW/Bw2 would be great for people wanting to get all the mons then transfer to Pokemon switch.
3DS had a great ride with Pokemon, need to replay X/Y soon.
They're most likely developing a Pokémon Bank app for Switch to maintain compatibility.

sirap

"When we were making Pokemon X and Y, we really were trying to push the 3DS system to its absolute limits - which is what we thought we’d done. But when Sun and Moon came around, we completely redesigned the system, and actually ended up pushing the 3DS even further to what we thought was the most we could draw out of it."

TFW Pokemon Switch still performs like dog-shit.

LiC

Neo Member
Ohmori didn't say that, are you guys even reading the quote in the OP or just the title of the article? It's a completely reasonable assumption that they'll be the last 3DS games, but it's still just that -- an assumption.

kc44135

Good, very happy this is the case. It's time for 3DS and it's shitty 240p screen to be put out to pasture, finally.

Top Bottom