• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police 911; motion controls on PS2 long before Wii on a Konami hidden gem...and other interesting firsts and deep cut games from common devs

VGEsoterica

Remember when the Wii was released and everyone was going nuts playing with motion controls? Golfing with the swing of a remote? Boxing by punching? playing FPS games by pointing the Wiimote at the screen? Those were seriously wild and impressive times for Nintendo and the craze caught on HARD...but what if I told you Konami did it first?

Konami released a TON of games on their Viper arcade board that used full motion controls. Mocap Boxing was a...duh...boxing game that used motion controls to register movement and punches in game. Mocap golf....well you kinda know what that did lolol. Police 911 was a light gun game with full motion controls and tracking via a lightgun that used basically the same technology as the Wiimote!

and then they took that arcade technology and popped it onto PS2 with a custom designed webcam that would real time identify your bodies position in game for Police 911...years before the Wii would ever come along.

Oh and Police 911 is a total deep cut hidden gem that is legit amazing and barely anyone knows it exists

It's a really interesting example of one company becoming FAMOUS for what another company did first in gaming!

But that got me thinking Gaf? What other technologies / innovations were credited / made famous by X company that were really wholly realized by someone else? Bonus points for hidden gem deep cut stuff

nush

Oh and Police 911 is a total deep cut hidden gem that is legit amazing and barely anyone knows it exists

I remember that on PS2, never played it though.

When it comes to companies doing something first and not getting credit the list is long. Analog control was first on consoles with the N64 right?

SScorpio

This is more Kinect than Wiimote. But the PS2 EyeToy (which Police 911 doesn't use) was pretty cool, even though it was just a single webcam versus the Kinect's stereo cams.

When it comes to companies doing something first and not getting credit the list is long. Analog control was first on consoles with the N64 right?
The Atari 5200 had an analog controller, which was 1st party. The Genesis/Mega Drive had a 3rd party analog controller.

Played this in arcade. The ducking kills your legs after a while.
Stop skipping leg day.

Kdad

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Power glove, SNES bazooka, etc, etc. It's known that wiimote was not the first with motion controls and pointer...

Microsoft putting an HDD in the Xbox. Seemed like total overkill at a time when digital downloads didn't exist yet and game saves were measured in the kilobytes...

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's a pretty dumb way to do this, like, if you're already moving away why does the camera have to sway to go behind cover Time Crisis style? You're already taking cover out of enemies' target area physically so the camera could remain as is. It's basically knock off Time Crisis with the pedal being motion controls when It should just track if the player is just standing there or is crouched or off to the sides or whatever they want to be the actual safe spots to have enemy shots miss while the screen view remains the same really. also, literally noone ever said Wii did motion controls first, wtf?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I remember the arcade version, amazing they made it work at home really, I wonder how the webcam copes with different lighting conditions.

What are you using to control it? A Dualshock? No way to use a gun?

It's a really interesting example of one company becoming FAMOUS for what another company did first in gaming!

Sony have a pretty good track record of pioneering tech but not bringing it to mass production, they announced the first OLED "TV" in 2007 with the XEL-1, it was 11", a customer once showed me a photo of one he had in his shed, he said he got it from a liquidation auction for a couple of hundred, RRP was $2500:

I remember seeing this game and MoCap Boxing at a few GameWorks locations back in the early 2000s! I was too young and didn't do great at the games, but I remember having a lot of fun with them. TIL there was also a PS2 version of Police 911 (in Japan)!

Speaking of Konami arcade games, I remember also enjoying Dance Dance Revolution and Silent Scope, too. Man, Konami had some fun standout arcade games in the 2000s.

El Muerto

This game was a workout. I played this at the mall when i was in highschool and played it until i got tired. It was easy to play and a lot of fun. Same with the Konami boxing game.

Unknown?

Remember when the Wii was released and everyone was going nuts playing with motion controls? Golfing with the swing of a remote? Boxing by punching? playing FPS games by pointing the Wiimote at the screen? Those were seriously wild and impressive times for Nintendo and the craze caught on HARD...but what if I told you Konami did it first?

Konami released a TON of games on their Viper arcade board that used full motion controls. Mocap Boxing was a...duh...boxing game that used motion controls to register movement and punches in game. Mocap golf....well you kinda know what that did lolol. Police 911 was a light gun game with full motion controls and tracking via a lightgun that used basically the same technology as the Wiimote!

and then they took that arcade technology and popped it onto PS2 with a custom designed webcam that would real time identify your bodies position in game for Police 911...years before the Wii would ever come along.

But that got me thinking Gaf? What other technologies / innovations were credited / made famous by X company that were really wholly realized by someone else? Bonus points for hidden gem deep cut stuff

Sega Activator did hands free motion controls way before Kinect or Eye Toy.

Top Bottom