• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Kill Woman, Charge Man They Were Trying To Shoot With Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

I would assume assault with a deadly weapon, since the 911 caller said there was a "gun-wielding maniac" in the bar.

Not to mention there are laws regarding guns in bars and use while inebriated. I can't find specific information on the level of offense though.

Malyse

I don't understand.
Shocking.

This is in the running for the best argument you've yet to present.
dBHnLOi.jpg

So you think that the charges are justified considering his crime? Oh wait, ALLEGED crime? And that emptying a clip was the best way to resolve the conflict?

Some additional information in that second news article:

Kody Roach now faces a second-degree murder charge for the death of Maria Godinez and resisting arrest with violence.

Orlando police say several people called 911 to report Roach was outside the bar armed with a gun, and he was trying to get inside.

It also says 7 of the 9 shots hit the suspect versus 5 in the original article.

I dont see anything wrong with him being charged. He didn't respond to police commands and they tried to taze him. They tried to bring him down without deadly force first. It is sad the lady died because of it.

wait... so the triggerhappy cops kill an innocent bystander because of a guy that they couldn't even confirm had a gun until *after* the shooting and it's unloaded and they claim he was drawing for it so it's his fault they killed a woman?

#YesAllPigs

SigSig

Being fired at was not punishment for a crime. He was fired at because he was reported as waiving a gun in public and then he reached for it.

See, I don't get this.
Someone is moving his hand, so the right reaction is opening fire, disregarding casualties (which is okay, there's even a law for it!) trying to protect random bystanders from being shot, but at the same time posing the only risk for said bystanders.
I understand, that this is very "hindsight is 20/20", but I don't get these aggressive reactions.
I guess it's a lot different in the US since like everyone could have a gun (and could yank it out at any second, opening fire). I'm living in Germany where ~nobody owns a gun and carries it around in public, so police officers don't just open fire when they see somebody moving his hand.

It just seems so alien and wrong to me that an innocent bystander has to die because somebody moved his hand so he had to be shot down at all costs because he COULD have reached for a gun which COULD have been loaded and he COULD have used it to shoot down bystanders.

JoeNut

Why the hell do they have to shoot people so many times? That guy the other week was shot while he was on the Fucking ground and this guy was shot at 9 times? How about shoot once or twice and see what happens?

KHarvey16

Shocking.

http://i.imgur.com/dBHnLOi.jpg
So you think that the charges are justified considering his crime? Oh wait, ALLEGED crime? And that emptying a clip was the best way to resolve the conflict?

Your "anti-police at all costs no matter the facts" is clouding your ability to read, comprehend and reason. He's charged with multiple crimes and shooting him was completely justified judging by the information we have. He was waiving the gun, taping on the door of the bar trying to get back in after being tossed, was confronted by police, got tased and then reached for and grabbed the gun in his waistband.

In order to prevent an armed individual from causing harm to any members of the public

I didn't know it was possible to pack so much irony into a single sentence ,just wow.

OT:people already defending this, ugh

Velcro Fly

Knew this was going to be about felony murder before I came in here. Not at all surprised by the reaction. If he had fired at the cops would this have even been an issue? This sort of thing is 100% preventable. I don't think it's an unfair request for you to put a gun down and listen to a cop when you have a gun where you obviously shouldn't have one.

Jenov

wait... so the triggerhappy cops kill an innocent bystander because of a guy that they couldn't even confirm had a gun until *after* the shooting and it's unloaded and they claim he was drawing for it so it's his fault they killed a woman?

#YesAllPigs

Er, if you read the article, several people called in about a gun waving maniac.. so yes, there was a highly reasonable suspicion he had a gun on his person. Neither the cops nor bystanders knew whether it was loaded or not, just that he was waving it at people trying to get into the bar.

KHarvey16

See, I don't get this.
Someone is moving his hand, so the right reaction is opening fire, disregarding casualties (which is okay, there's even a law for it!) trying to protect random bystanders from being shot, but at the same time posing the only risk for said bystanders.
I understand, that this is very "hindsight is 20/20", but I don't get these aggressive reactions.
I guess it's a lot different in the US since like everyone could have a gun (and could yank it out at any second, opening fire). I'm living in Germany where ~nobody owns a gun and carries it around in public, so police officers don't just open fire when they see somebody moving his hand.

It just seems so alien and wrong to me that an innocent bystander has to die because somebody moved his hand so he had to be shot down at all costs because he COULD have reached for a gun which COULD have been loaded and he COULD have used it to shoot down bystanders.

The gun was in his hand when he was shot.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
"The charge of attempted armed burglary was also removed, since it could not be determined with certainty which crime the defendant was intending to commit when he was attempting to regain entry into the Vixen Bar."

so it seems all they really have on him is the resisting arrest.

Zoe

Why the hell do they have to shoot people so many times? That guy the other week was shot while he was on the Fucking ground and this guy was shot at 9 times? How about shoot once or twice and see what happens?

"Once or twice and see what happens" is plenty of time for the person hopped up on adrenaline (who may not have even been hit) to return fire.

YoungFa

Knew this was going to be about felony murder before I came in here. Not at all surprised by the reaction. If he had fired at the cops would this have even been an issue? This sort of thing is 100% preventable. I don't think it's an unfair request for you to put a gun down and listen to a cop when you have a gun where you obviously shouldn't have one.

The story only makes sense if he wasn't holding a gun at the moment the police arrived.

mreddie

I think that's what happened back in 2007 during the helicopter crash in Phoenix, the dude who had nothing to do with the crash, he ended up getting charged for it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm still trying to sus out the whole the suspect having an unloaded gun which he reached for. Something seems off about this whole story.

KHarvey16

False.

I don't understand some of you. Do you not think waiving a gun around, attempting to re-enter a business you were thrown out of and grabbing a gun when confronted by police includes any crimes?

Jenov

False.

I don't understand some of you. Do you not think waiving a gun around, attempting to re-enter a business you were thrown out of and grabbing a gun when confronted by police includes any crimes?

Clouded by anti-cop rage and/or not reading the linked articles.

See, I don't get this.

casualties are a good thing really. more charges to file against the perp. it's a win/win for the cops.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is how the felony-murder rule works.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
False.

you seem to be reading into my post a bit. he has two charges against him right now, resisting arrest and 2nd degree murder, yes?

-

anyway the 9/11 call is here if anyone is curious:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-murder-charge-vixen-20140826,0,4849648.story

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Good thing they accused him of murder so this dangerous guy can be put behind bars where he can't shoot innocent bystanders.

Cops need more training in general, it seems, despite the circumstances.

"Once or twice and see what happens" is plenty of time for the person hopped up on adrenaline (who may not have even been hit) to return fire.

So many people are completely unrealistic and irrational when it comes to dealing with anything that has to do with police.

Aylinato

^ or it's that police have been overreacting to minorities who commit crimes and have straight up been murdering/not investigating cases where minorities are the victims.

Really police need to do something about them being so used to being abusive of the citizens they are supposed to protect

They wanted well regulated militias for each state of trained members to be able to retain their firearms against the federal government.

You are thinking of the Supreme Court decision during Reagan's administration.

NimbusD

I don't really have a problem with this.

Sure, I could understand if the guy was waving a gun around or was in the act of harming someone, but this is unjustified. All that's cited is the old, "he was reaching for his waistband!" line that's used every time to justify a police officer's deadly shooting.

There needs to be stricter protocols in place for when to use deadly force. Right now it's a fucking free for all, ESPECIALLY since police can pretty much do whatever, whenever and not be held responsible (and now in this case, actually put blame on someone else).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Good thing they accused him of murder so this dangerous guy can be put behind bars where he can't shoot innocent bystanders.
well, the gun being in his waistband is part of the 9/11 call so i can kinda understand why they shot him.

Cømet

Banned
Two things:

- Why not use rubber bullets?

- Why always aim for the upper body/head, surely the aim is to incapacitate so an arrest can be made? Why not blow their kneecap, or generally just shoot them in the knee, foot, or somewhere else that's less likely to be lethal? Surely that'd also lessen the risk of lethal collateral?

America, you really need to sort out your gun laws.

Heroman

Banned
Cømet;128341604 said:
Two things:

- Why always aim for the upper body/head, surely the aim is to incapacitate so an arrest can be made? Why not blow their kneecap, or generally just shoot them in the knee, foot, or somewhere else that's less likely to be lethal? Surely that'd also lessen the risk of lethal collateral?

1. They dont stop people
2. This isnt moive or a game when you shoot you shoot to kill and the dont aim for head shot they aim for the body.

SigSig

Cømet;128341604 said:
Why always aim for the upper body/head, surely the aim is to incapacitate so an arrest can be made? Why not blow their kneecap, or generally just shoot them in the knee, foot, or somewhere else that's less likely to be lethal? Surely that'd also lessen the risk of lethal collateral?

Never shot a gun, but I'd guess that if somebody is pulling a gun on you you don't have the time to aim for knees. Those are small and seem really hard to hit.

Velcro Fly

Cømet;128341604 said:
Two things:

there is no such thing as shoot to wound or shoot to incapacitate.

Cømet;128341604 said:
Two things:

no rubber bullets because he potentially had a gun.

no shooting for the knee hand toe etc because it's a ridiculous shot. they aim for the torso because it's the best target.

the question is just shoot or don't shoot. i'd say it was premature.

They managed to successfully taser him but managed to also miss gunshots? How do you miss from that proximity?

His life probably wasn't flashing before his eyes when he was tasering the guy. As for how you miss, easily. It's fucking hard to hit shit with a pistol even when your adrenaline isn't pumping out of fear.

YoungFa

no rubber bullets because he potentially had a gun.

no shooting for the knee hand toe etc because it's a ridiculous shot. they aim for the torso because it's the best target.

the question is just shoot or don't shoot. i'd say it was premature.

So why try to taze him then first?

Without going into the law, or doing a super analysis of what's happened given the facts of the case as we know them, I'm going to say that this "shoot first ask questions later" policy we have in regard to policing doesn't seem like it's always the best solution.

It just seems like there could have been another way to resolve this without someone being dead, especially considering that the gun wasn't loaded. I can't co-sign on this, even if I think that the police acted appropriately (and I'm not saying that I do).

Edit:

Before 15 people quote me, yes, I'm aware that they tried to taze him first. I don't think one attempt at a non-lethal solution shouldn't be the end all be all green light justification for putting someone in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom