• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Moviegoers want "Hidden Figures" for Best Picture, Denzel for Best Actor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

I see absolutely no problem with Denzel above Casey.

Casey's performance was excellent -- Denzel's was once in a lifetime stuff.

The thing is I have a distinct feeling many of the people answering Denzel to this poll did not even see Fences. He's just the biggest name there on the list.

Ridley327

I see absolutely no problem with Denzel above Casey.

Casey's performance was excellent -- Denzel's was once in a lifetime stuff.

Is it really a once in a lifetime performance if he's reprising a role he already played to great acclaim on Broadway six years ago?

I'm not trying to put him down at all, but it's as familiar of territory for an actor in the race as you can get.

DOWN

Banned
Hidden Figures winning would remind me of The Blindside being consider a contender despite how bland and inoffensive it was as an adaptation, but I wouldn't fault them for liking the performances in Hidden Figures over whatever the fuck people claimed was special about Sandra Bullock in The Blindside

Hidden Figures winning would remind me of The Blindside being consider a contender despite how bland and inoffensive it was as an adaptation, but I wouldn't fault them for liking the performances in Hidden Figures over whatever the fuck people claimed was special about Sandra Bullock in The Blindside

God the blindside was such a bullshit movie. I don't think hidden figures was trying to be inoffensive. There are a few moments in particular that don't back

hawk2025

Is it really a once in a lifetime performance if he's reprising a role he already played to great acclaim on Broadway six years ago?

I'm not trying to put him down at all, but it's as familiar of territory for an actor in the race as you can get.

Irrelevant, lest we start adjusting performances for how much an actor rehearsed before shooting a movie.

Window

That top 4 order for best picture is representative of the films' respective box office earnings. Based on that I would have expected greater support for Fences and less for Moonlight.

Ummm yeah, did I miss something?
The film about the 1960s Space Race ranked No. 1 with 26% of film lovers who said they've seen all nine nominated pictures.
Those who took this poll say they saw all nine nominated films. Not just the most popular ones. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is Hidden Figures really that good? It looked like a standard biographical film about space with the hook being that black women are the stars and achieved great things.

Did you like Remember The Titans? Hidden Figures is the same exact quality as many of those old "True Story" kids flicks. Solid film, but shouldn't be up there at all. Yet, I also think it is the most important film up there too.

thebeeks

Banned
Is Hidden Figures really that good? It looked like a standard biographical film about space with the hook being that black women are the stars and achieved great things.
Move over October Sky, Hidden Figures is that semi-educational feel-good movie based on a true story that middle/high school teachers show to their students on the last few days of school when there's nothing really left to do but everyone is still required to be there.
I liked it, and would be real happy to see it win Best Picture, but it's not the best picture of the year.

I think David Lynch's Dune should still win.
Dune wins every award in my heart. Best Inexplicable Dog. Best Use of Sting.

see5harp

There wasn't anything wrong with Emma Stone in La La Land. I just don't look at her performance as anything incredibly special. She was decent in a decent movie. Nothing she did particularly moved me at all.

Empty

stunned that the most populist films are the most popular

the whole point of awards is to separate dreck like hidden figures from brilliant films like moonlight and manchester by the sea, but sadly the oscars follow the box-office receipts quite regularly these days.

stunned that the most populist films are the most popular

the whole point of awards is to separate dreck like hidden figures from brilliant films like moonlight and manchester by the sea, but sadly the oscars follow the box-office receipts quite regularly these days.

Argument makes no sense given that Hidden Figures was amazing outside of that weird white savior moment that didn't happen IRL.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No.

It's so safe it's boring.
Hell or High Water is criminally low. One of the most tightly paced movies in years.
No one saw it. Hidden Figures is the most successful of the nominees. People are just voting for the movies they've seen and enjoyed.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Moviegoers" is almost as derogatory as "gamers".

If you identify as part of either labelled group, your opinion should be discounted.

Hell or High Water is a masterpiece and these people have shit taste.

1. 'Moviegoers' is a pretty unassuming label. It's not anything like, say, 'cineaste'
2. These people aren't even self-identifying as moviegoers.
3. Your post was frankly derpy AF.

cakefoo

So they just want the film they saw to win.
Everyone who participated in the poll saw all 9 pictures.

Hidden Figures was the most commercially successful film out of all the nominees so it comes as no shock that the majority movie goers want to see it win. Either way I want to see Moonlight take that award.

Seems to line up pretty well with commercial success, except for Denzel and that's because he the most recognizable there.

Domestic BO:

1. Hidden Figures (26%) - $146M
2. La La Land (25%) - $136M
3. Arrival (13%) - $100M
4. Hacksaw Ridge (10%) - $67M
4. Moonlight (10%) - $21M
6. Manchester by the Sea (6%) - $46M
6. Fences (6%) - $56M
8. Hell or High Water (3%) - $27M
8. Lion (3%) - $39M

Clearly the correlation is pretty apparent.
Everyone who par- I give up.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Why do you believe them? It's an online poll.

"Did you see all nine nominees?" *clicks yes*

It's an online poll; I doubt Fandango double-checked their accounts to see if they actually sold tickets to them for all 9 movies. The fact that all the top 4 are literally in order of how much money they've made domestically is convincing enough IMO to assume that no, not everyone that took this poll actually saw every movie.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The story itself IS pretty by the numbers and you know how it ends if you already know the story.

That being said it's an important story not often told, and the cast behind it do a great job.

I'm not sure it's the best movie of the year, but I think the acting specifically by the 3 females IS Oscar worthy.

That being said for me I think there isn't a clear cut MOTY. Arrival is hit or miss. La La is a bland story with Oscar worthy set trappings around it. Manchester didn't blow me away.

If every movie has flaws why not give it to the well acted movie that usually doesn't win headlined by black females who usually get the shaft in Hollywood. Plus the movie put a spotlight on someone non white non male that did great things to help make America great in its past.

Speevy

Banned
That new Emma Stone backlash is confusing me.

She is not good enough to win an award in the film.

I'm glad people like La La Land, but apart from appearing in the film, nothing she does is remarkably better than what she has done in the past, nor is it better than any number of a dozen or so female lead actor performances I could name.

Speevy

Banned
Kevin Costner ends segregation in the film.

Like...just ends it. Full stop. Fuck you, Kirsten Dunst. Try harder, Thurgood Marshall.

Speevy

Banned
Worst movie of the year? I agree.

I'm still mad about how boring that movie was. Watching Denzel shoot the shit for 2 hours was painful.

Did you watch the right movie? Fences may not have been particularly well directed but it's full of very dramatic moments, owing to its award-winning source material.

cakefoo

"Did you see all nine nominees?" *clicks yes*

It's an online poll; I doubt Fandango double-checked their accounts to see if they actually sold tickets to them for all 9 movies. The fact that all the top 4 are literally in order of how much money they've made domestically is convincing enough IMO to assume that no, not everyone that took this poll actually saw every movie.
That's one way to look at it- but maybe you have it backwards: BO can be a result of how likeable a film is to the population at large. Aggegate-conscious Joe Blows might still see less-mainstream films simply because of their critical acclaim, and just as the trailer contents may have failed to generate mass-market interest, the actual film might not resonate with as many aggregate-conscious Joe Blows as something with more-broadly-appealing themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom