• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: COD WWII’s ‘diversity’ is nothing more than marketing

Polygon is a ridiculous website. I never go there. They had their biases to a certain company and now they make pathetic articles over and over.

foxdvd

even if they are "checking the boxes" when it comes to diversity, you have to applaud any form of media that makes an effort.....It would be amazing if they could create an experience that was diversified without insulting history or the people playing the game...but I will take a game that is at least trying to be inclusive over another whites only FPS shooter game.

Speely

Banned
Polygon is a bad outlet. They are like a Forbes contributor outlet that's glorified, and this article is absolutely case-in-point.

So like at what point does Polygon get banned? Like Chartz was banned for putting up made up information, shouldnt the same apply to Polygon?

Edit: I am not clicking the read the article but is this Kuchera, Geis, or someone else?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My opinion : It would have been nice to see some of the different types of diverse characters supposedly in the game in the trailer itself, to show us the development staff have really thought about making that apart of their WWII portrayal in an important way for today's audience.

That being said, i think Polygon is waaay out of line on this one.

I'm so confused about this article. What's Polygon's angle here? The game isn't even out yet and still they act like they already know the future.

Or is this just for "teh hitz"?

this is especially sad because cod has been on the better end of representation and diversity since they added female soldiers to mp. their post-ghost campaigns have frequently featured women and people of colour in important roles.

Polygon is a ridiculous website. I never go there. They had their biases to a certain company and now they make pathetic articles over and over.
Pretty much, I heard about Polygon years ago from a friend while gaming on Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 and asked him how can he read that crap.

So like at what point does Polygon get banned? Like Chartz was banned for putting up made up information, shouldnt the same apply to Polygon?

Edit: I am not clicking the read the article but is this Kuchera, Geis, or someone else?
Allegra Frank and Owen Good. Unfortunately I already clicked it

Yes, you read that correctly...TWO writers thought this article was acceptable!

this is especially sad because cod has been on the better end of representation and diversity since they added female soldiers to mp. their post-ghost campaigns have frequently featured women and people of colour in important roles.

THIS.

Why doubt them now? I would kinda understand if they wrote this for something like a new Battlefield, which has failed to capitalize on giving people female soldiers.

white males predominately in a WW2 game??? so much for historical accuracy
eh, there were a large amount of non-white combatants in ww2. the us army alone had around 1m black soldiers. eastern and southern countries that participated in it would've been predominantly people of colour.

Loxley

What's even more bizarre about this is that Polygon literally published an article after the WW2 reveal that was a really nice interview with the developers (heck I made a thread about it). The article painted Sledgehammer in a really positive light, talking about how they want to make sure every exacting detail about the game is accurate and pays tribute to the shit that the 1st infantry division experienced throughout WW2.

But then they publish this right after? Sledgehammer must feel pretty damn slighted. "Hey, these guys are putting some damn work into this game and seem genuinely passionate about making something great! By the way they're all a buncha' tone-deaf white dudes who don't care about diversity or women. Or they might not be. We'll see when the game comes out."

Ohhhh shutup polygon. The game director for sledgehammer is blck. I might understand this article if we had played the game and seen the content, but this was a reveal. Just being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

THEN WHY ARE YOU WRITING THIS NOW

What's notable there is that while Sledgehammer has confirmed there will be a number of playable characters (even though Adam's is the main), the one other specific character that they've confirmed to be playable is Rousseau. A character that this article even references

Schofield followed this with a reference to the game's female lead. ”Rousseau, the powerful female leader of the French Resistance," he said, as if reading from a cue card. Powerful female. We get it.

Them: "LOL Polygon, who reads this trash"
You: "Xbox fans"
People: "Uh wtf?"
You: "I love my Xbox but despise Polygon"

Wat.gif

You make no sense.
Seriouly? Polygon has always been a biased piece of shit site and I also own a PS3 and PS4 and I am old enough to remember all there biased articles towards the PS3. I love playing video games and hate Polygon. There biased agenda they pushed years ago earned them allot of Xbox gamers.

jtb

Banned
eh, there were a large amount of non-white combatants in ww2. the us army alone had around 1m black soldiers. eastern and southern countries that participated in it would've been predominantly people of colour.

i mean, it's literally called world war two

world war

Euphor!a

Banned
How are they not embarrassed to publish stories like this? Like I get going after hits, but this just seems like another level.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ohhhh shutup polygon. The game director for sledgehammer is blck. I might understand this article if we had played the game and seen the content, but this was a reveal. Just being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

Not to assume that being black means you can't be regressive/racist...

But i'm kind of shocked that Polygon didn't even take the time to look at the marketing materials of the development staff to even see who was on it to make the claim of 'all white staff'. Do they even source?

nynt9

Can't wait to see how they will talk about whether CODWWII will make you experience the horrors of a concentration camp firsthand (title later changed to first person), or maybe this:

BVnlrJA.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reactionary clickbait hitpiece built on the cornerstone of cliché-yet-literal "outrage culture" from a gutter rag outlet notorious for spilling diarrhoea gaming journalism since its inception.

Skux

Polygon wants more diversity in games, then when representation actually happens, complains that it's not "done right" in a way that satisfies them.

I don't even know anymore.

mcrommert

Banned
Seriouly? Polygon has always been a biased piece of shit site and I also own a PS3 and PS4 and I am old enough to remember all there biased articles towards the PS3. I love playing video games and hate Polygon. There biased agenda they pushed years ago earned them allot of Xbox gamers.

3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

Top Bottom