• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon launches new podcast 'The Polygon Show'

Quonny

Is Ethan the one that's obsessed with Vita? His voice is grating to me. He's super knowledgable about games but without the charm of someone like Jared Petty.

I gave it about a year and Nintendo discussion always felt like an afterthought, and when they did discuss it it was usually to bash it for one reason or another. To be fair, I haven't listened to it since the Switch came out so maybe they've been more fair lately.

Yeah, Ethan loves the Vita and Switch.

It's been nothing but Switch and Nintendo since January. I mean, really. It's Greg's racing games, Phil's weird little gems, and Switch, Switch, Switch.

Is Ethan the one that's obsessed with Vita? His voice is grating to me. He's super knowledgable about games but without the charm of someone like Jared Petty.

I gave it about a year and Nintendo discussion always felt like an afterthought, and when they did discuss it it was usually to bash it for one reason or another. To be fair, I haven't listened to it since the Switch came out so maybe they've been more fair lately.

No. Ethan's the one that's the gigantic Nintendo fanboy.

Weebos

Banned
Listening to it now. The audio quality is good, which is usually the make or break for me.

I know Simone from her hilarious presence on their Youtube channel, I'm excited to meet the rest of the crew.

Iksenpets

Banned
I've grown pretty fond of the weird millennial Polygon that's grown out of their YouTube channel. I'll probably check this out.

Jhoan

The first episode is 40 minutes long. After listening to it, I don't think I'll be subscribing. I *might* listen to one more episode, because sometimes there's some first episode jitters that go away in subsequent episodes.

Perhaps it's just that I'm not acclimated to the style or it's just a style I don't care for, but the discussion is: fast, random, free-flowing, very informal, with lots of off-topic tangents integrated into the flow. I'm found it difficult to be engaged with the discussion, and even during the times they discussed topics I was interested in, I had a hard to following where the topic was actually going. I finished the episode minutes ago, and I'm not sure I could provide a summary of what was discussed.
That doesn't doesn't sound too promising. I'll still give it a listen in any case and hope that they get good as they get more episodes under their belt.
Why do people find this kind of random inane banter entertaining in a gaming podcast? I can't even listen to giant bombcast because of this. They just go off on these asinine tangents for a gaming podcast. I'm not one of their buds having a beer at the bar. And even then I'd look at them weird and tell them to stop if they started talking about some of that shit.
I think if it's done right, it can be good so I disagree. I find the off-topic banter in Giant Bomb's podcasts great because they were already good at it to begin with. There's plenty of gaming podcasts that are tightly focused on gaming discussion with off-topic thing at the end such as DLC which is good.
I don't know any good gaming podcasts. Any recommendation for others as well?
Kotaku Split Screen is an underrated darling that's pretty damn solid and more people should listen to. The theme song is memorable because it has a strong morning news/it's gonna be a great day vibe with its heavy use of a saxophone. If you like Jason Schreier already, you'll like him more when he speaks. It helps that him and Kirk Hamilton have similar tastes in games. Sometimes they'll speak to other Kotaku staff members or interview someone from the game industry e.g. Ashley Burch, Chris Avellone, and Dan Ryckert have been past guests.

8-4 Play is a GAF darling that's focused on Japanese games and culture. It's probably the best one out there. Also, if you're fascinated by localization discussion, you'll like it.

Retronauts is great if you like retrospective discussions on old games. Jeremy Parish's voice can put one to sleep but in a good way.

Team GFB Radio is an off-topic podcast with some gaming discussion thrown in. If you liked Dave Lang on Giant Bomb, then you'll like him here even more because he's in his element. His travel stories are always hilarious and fascinating. He and his co-host talk about insider game dev stories every now and then.

Radio Free Nintendo is another solid one that's been around forever and is tightly focused. It's one of the best Nintendo focused podcasts out there.

Nintendo Voice Chat is great because of Peer Schneider and Jose Otero's enthusiasm. The PG language might turn off some people because it's supposed to be a family friendly podcast but that's fine. Brian Altano is also solid whenever he pops in and Alannah Pierce's Australian accent is charming.

Whenever they get around to recording a new episode, Idle Thumbs is solid. I miss hearing Sean Vanaman's pipes though but c'est le vie.

DLC is pretty solid and tightly focused. I miss the days when people could call in but then they didn't have a screener so calls could have been unfiltered and sponsors probably got mad which is why it was nixed.

Cane and Rinse is a video game book club podcast that focuses on analyzing one game per episode in depth. It's pretty damn good.

If you''re interested in video game music appreciation, Super Marcato Bros and VMPire are both worth checking out. Although the latter pumps out new episodes sporadically these days whereas the former cranks them out consistently.

Awesome. Allegra has come off as really funny during the recent Polygon streams with Pat, so a podcast with her and Simone sounds excellent.

LordofPwn

terrible name. it should have its own branding so they can spin it off in the event that polygon dies.
When it dies

I really don't need another podcast to listen to but i'll give this a go.

BTA

I still don't understand the hate for Polygon, particularly because their video output is amazing right now. I'll give y'all Kuchera, he sucks, but most of their other staff are great.

Anyway, I'm excited to listen; Allegra's been great in the videos I've seen her in and I really like the idea of having some people who don't otherwise show up in their videos get the spotlight. Doesn't hurt to have 4 women as hosts either.

I've never really gotten the mass hate for Polygon really. Sure they've got Kuchera and Gies but they also have Justin and Griffin McElroy, Nick Robinson, Russ Frustrick, Pat Gill, Allegra Frank, Simone de Rochefort, Phil Kollar, Colin Campbell, Charlie Hall, Tara Long, and a bunch of other generally really cool games media personalities.

dugdug

Banned
I've never really gotten the mass hate for Polygon really. Sure they've got Kuchera and Gies but they also have Justin and Griffin McElroy, Nick Robinson, Russ Frustrick, Pat Gill, Allegra Frank, Simone de Rochefort, Phil Kollar, Colin Campbell, Charlie Hall, Tara Long, and a bunch of other generally really cool games media personalities.

First impressions mean a lot, in any profession, but, *especially* in such a personality-driven profession, and, Polygon could not have had a worse one.

Things (and, like, almost the entire staff) have changed, but, that documentary left a real bad taste in people's mouths.

JuxJuxJux

Why doesn't Matt Leone have his own show yet? Not that it seems like he'd necessarily want one, but his stuff is 90% of the reason why I visit Polygon these days, and it's amazingly insightful. Supporting audio / video would be great to see for his features.

Polygon can't seem to make a podcast stick for whatever reason, and based off of the first episode, this one seems destined for that pile (for me). I hope they find their groove.

ply_show__12_of_1_.054yvs.jpg

I know it's totally offtopic, but damn, is that their real view or is it a backdrop?

I never actually go to their site but anytime something from them is posted here its a horrible clickbait article with little to no substance. Also the pie chart. Ill listen to the first episode of this and see for myself.

I've never really understood it either. I much prefer Polygon over Kotaku UK, and while I don't particularly rate their reviews, their YouTube channel and long form stuff more than makes up for it. Plus, the McElroys and Simone are especially fantasic.

Maybe people are still mad about the documentary. The internet doesn't forget.

jwk94

Yeah, didn't expect that there would be a discussion about the fuckability of the arms characters

Neither did I. Love the show so far. Was really disappointed when it just suddenly ended. Subbed on Google Play Music too.

Bahorel

I really enjoyed it! Thanks op for posting. Between this and What's Good Games I'm just happy to have some women-led podcasts

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I really enjoyed it! Thanks op for posting. Between this and What's Good Games I'm just happy to have some women-led podcasts
Just curious, what did you enjoy about it? They lost me right at the start with the unfunny beverage shaming and it never really turned around from there.

I never actually go to their site but anytime something from them is posted here its a horrible clickbait article with little to no substance. Also the pie chart. Ill listen to the first episode of this and see for myself.

This is because it's a self-fulfilling cycle. People post articles from Polygon that they deem worthy of mockery, and start off on that footing. Their genuinely excellent video stuff doesn't leave much of an impression here, because GAF has been convinced that they're Microsoft shills (namely because they gave The Last of Us a well-earned 7/10). Whenever they do make something interesting, people are suddenly compelled to start shitposting about Doom and pie charts.

Why do people find this kind of random inane banter entertaining in a gaming podcast? I can't even listen to giant bombcast because of this. They just go off on these asinine tangents for a gaming podcast. I'm not one of their buds having a beer at the bar. And even then I'd look at them weird and tell them to stop if they started talking about some of that shit.
NAILED IT.

It's why I haven't found one video game podcast I like. I just don't give a shit about nerd banter. That, and most video game podcasts are way too long.

Great name.

Because they used to have the personnel for it and were considered charmingly garrulous.

Curufinwe

Frushtick is as bad as Gies and Kuchera.

I'm not a fan of Polygon on most of the Reviews and Editorial side, but they produce some of the funniest game related videos and interesting long form features around.

With this and Cool Games Inc. they seem to be doing good on the podcast front too.

Curufinwe

This is because it's a self-fulfilling cycle. People post articles from Polygon that they deem worthy of mockery, and start off on that footing. Their genuinely excellent video stuff doesn't leave much of an impression here, because GAF has been convinced that they're Microsoft shills (namely because they gave The Last of Us a well-earned 7/10). Whenever they do make something interesting, people are suddenly compelled to start shitposting about Doom and pie charts.

You're real salty abou TLOU's meta score, huh.

Polygon have along history of producing atrociously bad content, like their infamous PS4 launch stream, and employing some of the most ridiculous people in the business so it's no surprise they are derided for it.

It's Polygon, so no.

I thought the same thing seeing as the place is riddled with hacks. Colin Campbell chief among them, but I'll give the new podcast a listen. An all woman cast should be a fresh breath of air in relation to the other gaming podcasts I usually listen to.

Looking forward to listening to this. Most of all I am thankful this podcast doesn't include Justin McElroy.. laughing at his own jokes.

joe_zazen

Because they used to have the personnel for it and were considered charmingly garrulous.

GB? It was pretty good in the Ryan days. Banter is kinda forced now and they lead pretty boring lives. Also, miss Drew and his visits to submarines, North Korea, and stories about flying airplanes.

Breads

Banned
Not a Nick or Mcelroy in sight.

They are the only reason why I pay attention to Polygon.

I'll still give it a chance though. Some of the game podcasts I listen to have gotten a bit stale.

Greedings

I've always enjoyed Daft Souls.

God damn I hate that show. The presenter is so far up his own preachy ass that I could barely listen to it. His guests were sometimes good, but the main guy (I forget his name) doesn't have any opinions of his own, except for "it's good" or "it's bad" and just repeats back his guests' ideas in his own words.

Top Bottom