• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Burrito cart closed after owners accused of cultural appropriation

PSqueak

Banned
Psqueak: you don't know what it's like to be marganalized in the US. You don't know what it feels like when a restaurant opens up selling what you eat every day, explode in popularity because it's now hip. All while your unhip neighbors are being deported. You don't know what it's like to eat a burrito in your own neighborhood, and get killed because your new neighbors thought you were a thug. I can go on..but I'm late for a meeting.. also by saying "white fucks", am i correct in assuming you are indigenous to Mexico and have no Spanish blood in you?

Im going to open up this post by saying i made the often common in the internet mistake of using "white" when what i meant was "White american", that was stupid of me, and yes, i do believe there is at least the following in my blood as a Mexican: Native, African, Spaniard and Jewish.

And yes, you're right, although i have experienced some racism from americans via the way my voice sounds (having worked before in customer service for the USA companies that outsource grunt call center work to mexico) or the way i was denied my visa by some asshole who thought just because im mexican i was obviously trying to sneak and steal their jobs (literally denied because "i couldn't prove i would want to go back to mexico", for fucks sake!!), it's true that i will never fully experience the full horror of the bigotry minorities suffer in the USA, much less specially now that the president himself emboldens these assholes.

But i want to ask you seriously, how can you compare the damage "some white girls making burritos" supposedly do mexican culture to all the other horrible, horrible things you listed? It's ridiculous to equate those things or to claim that it's not "right" for mexican food to be normalized until the USA fixes all this shit, they are issues that are in such different levels that i don't even begin to comprehend how anybody could even worry about "white people making burritos" when much bigger injustices are being done.

Not sure if I should have posted a new topic or bump this, but the story was retracted as "not factually supported." Someone gonna get sued.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blog...ropriation-kooks-burritos-and-willamette-week

This looks like more confirmation of what Bobby already told us: Willamette Week was full of shit and tailored the story to get a rise from people, either just to fuck with them or to create a narrative of 'pc overreaction out of control.' So the reaction has been pulled in light of the fact that the Merc doesn't want to play that game anymore.

Top Bottom