• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

ngower

Megalodactyl said:
JtOl7.jpg

First one! Got it at the same time as my best friend.

Ha, I got the Empire's logo on my leg and my friend got the Rebel on his chest. Also, Joy Division avatar! (*)_(*)

I just had a coverup tattoo done on Sunday.

I got the original dragon when I was 18 in the military and they guy fucked up and went to deep. I`m very happy with the new one.

original tat
N6YLMs.jpg

after
9dJzZs.jpg

I just need to go back in 3 weeks for some touch up work, you can still see little parts of the old tattoo but the artist says she can clean that up 100%

Thought I'd share a couple of mine here, as well.

c4463fdc.jpg

and

10f003cd.jpg

The moogle is the more recent one. Both were done at my uncle's studio back in NC.

6055125369_3f7326128e_b.jpg

6055125373_4c7205f0db_z.jpg

Apologies for the hair..... I also have another two which I will post later on and am working on an old school sleeve which I will do at the London Tattoo Convention (hopefully) :)

Been designing and mish-mashing today. Looking to get this done in October. Any feedback greatly appreciated! It's all saved as layers, so I can move things, change things...

303532_10150258269796582_694291581_8025732_6785643_n.jpg

Flo

Leunam said:
Thought about doing this. Any suggestions or comments?
I'm not sure what you mean by it, but I would make sure it's a positive one. It's a fun design, I would do it. Although it might be a little bit too tiny (the scissors especially), but your tattoo artist can help you with that.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
captmorgan said:
I just had a coverup tattoo done on Sunday.

I got the original dragon when I was 18 in the military and they guy fucked up and went to deep. I`m very happy with the new one.

original tat
N6YLMs.jpg

after
9dJzZs.jpg

I just need to go back in 3 weeks for some touch up work, you can still see little parts of the old tattoo but the artist says she can clean that up 100%
Dude, post larger pics. Looks really awesome, but I can't tell for sure.

Jugendstil said:
Finally had my last session for my half-sleeve today. Here's a better photo of what it looked like with just an outline:

5728336884_ff8b915fb9_b.jpg

And here it is today after the last session (and still bleeding!):

5727784945_13d04d29cf_b.jpg

Anyone in Chicago, I highly highly recommend you check out Deluxe Tattoo, especially Jason Vaughn. The dude is craaaaaazy talented.
wow, my most favorite tattoo of this thread. love the design, love the meaning.

For some reason, I love the look of the pre-coloring state of the tattoo (not just yours, but tattoo's in general).

Thanks! I'm more of a fan of black or limited color in tattoos, but that photo was when the tattoo was fresh and doesn't do a good job of capturing how great the color work he did is... I guess it's a tradeoff, because I did love it when it was just line work but the finished piece is pretty crazy looking. It looks like it was painted on, it's that vibrant. The color and shading also added a lot of dimension to the tattoo which is sort of lost in the photo.

I am debating going in this weekend to discuss the forearm sleeve that will go with it - it's a lot of money to invest in tattoos in one year, but I look at the half-sleeve and it just makes me want a full one.

Leunam said:
ATu1hl.jpg

Thought about doing this. Any suggestions or comments?

Like the idea, but I'd personally have it elsewhere, like on my right side or something (in which case I'd make it a simple line, not a box).

Ravager61

So I really want to get a tattoo on the inside of my bicep. I'm thinking of getting this feather(without the band name at the top obviously). It's drawn by John Baizley who is the frontman of the band Baroness and is an amazing artist. He's done album covers for quite a few bands including his own. The bottom of the feather would start close to my elbow and the top with the nails would be around my shoulder.

feather-and-nails-grey.jpg

Any opinions or suggestions? It's my first tattoo and I'm a bit nervous about committing.

Jugendstil said:
Finally had my last session for my half-sleeve today. Here's a better photo of what it looked like with just an outline:

5728336884_ff8b915fb9_b.jpg

And here it is today after the last session (and still bleeding!):

5727784945_13d04d29cf_b.jpg

Anyone in Chicago, I highly highly recommend you check out Deluxe Tattoo, especially Jason Vaughn. The dude is craaaaaazy talented.

I saved this pics, when i get my tat done, I want an artist with similar line work. Or maybe id go to chicago, hahaha.

Bad_Boy said:
Dude, post larger pics. Looks really awesome, but I can't tell for sure.

Here`s a larger picture,

You can still see the old one a little but next wekk my tattoo artist will clean up the rest.

Toddler

deadmeadow88 said:
Been designing and mish-mashing today. Looking to get this done in October. Any feedback greatly appreciated! It's all saved as layers, so I can move things, change things...

303532_10150258269796582_694291581_8025732_6785643_n.jpg
Using the negative space for the horse is a great idea. If you do change anything, don't change that.

Jugendstil: You win the thread. Awesome piece.

Messi

Been toying with the idea of getting hurley from lost's skull tattooed on my shoulder, leaving his hair intact. the meaning being, i used to be nearly 400 pounds, long hair sideburns. looked identical to him. people at first called me hurley in a nice way but then it got nasty and people used it to hurt me.

since then ive lost 200ish pounds, now have short hair and no sideburns. i look like a completely different person, but i never want to forget how being called hurley made me feel. the skull is because i am not that anymore, that part of me is dead and gone and i want a reminder to never slip back to that state. it would make me smile to look at it and know how hard i worked. plus hurley is awesome.

i can just never pull the trigger on it.

good or bad idea?

Messi said:
Been toying with the idea of getting hurley from lost's skull tattooed on my shoulder, leaving his hair intact. the meaning being, i used to be nearly 400 pounds, long hair sideburns. looked identical to him. people at first called me hurley in a nice way but then it got nasty and people used it to hurt me.

since then ive lost 200ish pounds, now have short hair and no sideburns. i look like a completely different person, but i never want to forget how being called hurley made me feel. the skull is because i am not that anymore, that part of me is dead and gone and i want a reminder to never slip back to that state. it would make me smile to look at it and know how hard i worked. plus hurley is awesome.

i can just never pull the trigger on it.

good or bad idea?

Interesting idea, do you happen a have a picture to get a better idea on how it would look?

Messi

captmorgan said:
Interesting idea, do you happen a have a picture to get a better idea on how it would look?

this is the problem, in my head i have a picture of how it might look. but i have no artistic talent to speak of and im not sure how to find a tattoo artist who would be able to do it. maybe i could comission someone to draw it. how did you guys/girls come up with the ideas and eventual designs?

id like it to be a skull but it needs to retain hurleys look, like the hair and the sideburns. id also need something surrounding the sides and bottom of the image like roses or something like it.

some cool tattoos in here.

Burli

Pringo
Ravager61 said:
So I really want to get a tattoo on the inside of my bicep. I'm thinking of getting this feather(without the band name at the top obviously). It's drawn by John Baizley who is the frontman of the band Baroness and is an amazing artist. He's done album covers for quite a few bands including his own. The bottom of the feather would start close to my elbow and the top with the nails would be around my shoulder.

Any opinions or suggestions? It's my first tattoo and I'm a bit nervous about committing.

John Dyer Baizley is a BOSS.

Considered trying to contact him for a personal commission? (If you have the funds that is)

Ravager61

Burli said:
John Dyer Baizley is a BOSS.

Considered trying to contact him for a personal commission? (If you have the funds that is)
I've definitely thought about it. Not sure if he'd be willing to do something original for me or what it would cost but that would be awesome. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Ravager61 said:
S

Don't be afraid to say "no" to an artist. Look at their black book, watch their technique, look them up online. Once you find someone with a style that you dig, ask them to draw a mock-up and their own ideas for the tat. If *anything* at all doesn't sound right to you, go ahead and walk away.

And remember, even though they're holding needles instead of a brush or pencil, these people should still be *artists*. I've seen too many that may be technically sound, but their pieces come off bland or flat.

walbertsmith said:
Don't be afraid to say "no" to an artist. Look at their black book, watch their technique, look them up online. Once you find someone with a style that you dig, ask them to draw a mock-up and their own ideas for the tat. If *anything* at all doesn't sound right to you, go ahead and walk away.

And remember, even though they're holding needles instead of a brush or pencil, these people should still be *artists*. I've seen too many that may be technically sound, but their pieces come off bland or flat.

This. Find a talented artist who is also a great illustrator. A lot of the best tattoo artists are also talented artists in other media and disciplines, and that knowledge definitely translates in their tattoo work.

Cronoss

I'm going to New York for the first time - also first time in the States - and I would like to get a tattoo while I'm there.

I'm going in October, so a lot of artists are probably fully booked, but do you guys have any favorite artists located in New York?

My tattoos are mainly japanese, so preferably someone who good at the japanese style.

Balehead

deadmeadow88 said:

The blue rose and the diamond blend in one another a bit I think. I'd either color the diamond differently (green?), which may be too colorful, or remove it completely ruining the heart shape and move the blue rose to the left a bit. The stronger lines on the diamond help for sure, but that's still how I feel about it.

Keep white pony as it is.

Kato

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
5a.jpg

Done by Wilco at http://www.gekkotattoos.nl/

It has been a while and iirc they were posted on Neogaf before. It was hell. The linework was no problem, the coloring initially was no problem.

The shit started as soon the two paws (second pic) were colored my skin decided to play hardball and said "fuck it" and started rejecting the ink. Soon the tattoo became a work of deeper than usual skin digging instead of drawing.

With the help of a Magnum 9 needle it quickly became a game of hard digging and took 2 or 3 times the time the artist usually needed and more discomfort and actual pain for me. So yeah I am gifted with a unusually thick armor. Yay me!

This bastard finally did the trick..over and over and over again:

Tattoo%20Needles-Magnum%209.jpg

But eventually after more sessions all is well. After the last pic I returned for 4 more sessions to try and beat my skin. We won. I am happy, the artist bankrupt (not really) because I paid all of it after the third session and I will think twice before going again for some new work. Not because of the pain but because who did this one knows my skin and knows he has to add time to work on me so the price will be higher.

Balehead said:
The blue rose and the diamond blend in one another a bit I think. I'd either color the diamond differently (green?), which may be too colorful, or remove it completely ruining the heart shape and move the blue rose to the left a bit. The stronger lines on the diamond help for sure, but that's still how I feel about it.

Keep white pony as it is.

I didn't even notice the heart shape, lol!

I'd been thinking change the diamond anyway... but maybe purple? As blue and red make purple... good colour balance yes? I've drawn a variety of different coloured substitute diamonds lol, I'll see what the tattoo artist thinks. I'm booked in for October 17th!

Kato said:
But eventually after more sessions all is well. After the last pic I returned for 4 more sessions to try and beat my skin. We won. I am happy, the artist bankrupt (not really) because I paid all of it after the third session and I will think twice before going again for some new work. Not because of the pain but because who did this one knows my skin and knows he has to add time to work on me so the price will be higher.

Cot damn. Awesome piece... sucks to hear about that experience. How spaced apart were your sessions? Did you need any numbing cream?

I had about a 4-hour similar-ish piece on my back done on consecutive nights and my artist used numbing cream for the start of the second session. It only lasted for about a half hour though then after that the pain got rather intense, especially around the shoulder blades. I couldn't imagine going back for even more sessions so soon like yours, especially with your particular situation.

Kato

walbertsmith said:
Cot damn. Awesome piece... sucks to hear about that experience. How spaced apart were your sessions? Did you need any numbing cream?

I had about a 4-hour similar-ish piece on my back done on consecutive nights and my artist used numbing cream for the start of the second session. It only lasted for about a half hour though then after that the pain got rather intense, especially around the shoulder blades. I couldn't imagine going back for even more sessions so soon like yours, especially with your particular situation.

Thanks ;)

Similar-ish? So I take it was also a bit of Marquesan or Polynesian art? Got a pic?

The first sessions (the one in the pictures were mere two weeks apart because of his and my free time. The stuff after that was longer apart to be sure the spots which needed some real digging were somewhat healed and the rejection of ink was slowed down. So it was up to 6 weeks between trying again. Between pic 2 and 3 it's very clear the ink is just disappearing in two weeks time. It's not the same as having scabs from the healing, it's just ink getting pushed out and vanishing.

And no I did not use any numbing lotion or cream. Although I wanted to endure it as part of the experience there were times I was thinking of giving up. That's the months after the last picture. I am not sure how many times I went back, I think it was 4, but it was a lot and it was not fun anymore and numbing cream would not help a lot when the magnum 9 went to work at the depth needed or so I was told :)

Wilco, the artist (an awesome guy and rest incarnate), told me he would normally do a fully colored and filled total chest and back in the same time he was working on my piece. The least I could do was give him a big bottle of Tequila (his favorite and no he did not drink while working on me :)) and refer as much friends I knew, because he worked his ass off to fight my tough as metal skin. And so my wife, two girls (both girls had pretty big pieces done) I know and my sister in law went to his studio so I feel I did my part to make up for the lost time :)

Kato said:
Thanks ;)

Similar-ish? So I take it was also a bit of Marquesan or Polynesian art? Got a pic?

The first sessions (the one in the pictures were mere two weeks apart because of his and my free time. The stuff after that was longer apart to be sure the spots which needed some real digging were somewhat healed and the rejection of ink was slowed down. So it was up to 6 weeks between trying again. Between pic 2 and 3 it's very clear the ink is just disappearing in two weeks time. It's not the same as having scabs from the healing, it's just ink getting pushed out and vanishing.

And no I did not use any numbing lotion or cream. Although I wanted to endure it as part of the experience there were times I was thinking of giving up. That's the months after the last picture. I am not sure how many times I went back, I think it was 4, but it was a lot and it was not fun anymore and numbing cream would not help a lot when the magnum 9 went to work at the depth needed or so I was told :)

Wilco, the artist (an awesome guy and rest incarnate), told me he would normally do a fully colored and filled total chest and back in the same time he was working on my piece. The least I could do was give him a big bottle of Tequila (his favorite and no he did not drink while working on me :)) and refer as much friends I knew, because he worked his ass off to fight my tough as metal skin. And so my wife, two girls (both girls had pretty big pieces done) I know and my sister in law went to his studio so I feel I did my part to make up for the lost time :)

Not the same in style, but moreso that it was all-black ink with a lot of fill-in. This is a super old photo taken with an old phone, so forgive the blurryness:

N1Q2I.jpg

The next piece I want to get done is something on my leg in the Polynesian/Filipino style, and actually done in the traditional style with the big ass sticks:

filipino343.jpg

And my gosh man, that sounds freaking awful. Those Mag 9 needles are no effing joke. Very cool taking care of your artist though, I'm always a fan of tipping big for pieces. And yeah the only reason I had the numbing cream was at the artist's suggestion, since we were resuming the session when the skin was still super raw. I can't find the picture after the first session but all that was done was basically the outline and about a quarter of the fill-in.

My fiance and I were wanting to get some tattoos done when we're on our honeymoon in California next year.

Anyone have any shop or artist recommendations in or around LA?

Kato

walbertsmith said:
Not the same in style, but moreso that it was all-black ink with a lot of fill-in. This is a super old photo taken with an old phone, so forgive the blurryness:

N1Q2I.jpg

The next piece I want to get done is something on my leg in the Polynesian/Filipino style, and actually done in the traditional style with the big ass sticks:

filipino343.jpg

And my gosh man, that sounds freaking awful. Those Mag 9 needles are no effing joke. Very cool taking care of your artist though, I'm always a fan of tipping big for pieces. And yeah the only reason I had the numbing cream was at the artist's suggestion, since we were resuming the session when the skin was still super raw. I can't find the picture after the first session but all that was done was basically the outline and about a quarter of the fill-in.

Blurry or not, it rocks man, gratz!

Yeah the next one will be a continuation of the piece with the name or initials of my baby girl worked in there somewhere subtle yet clear but it has to be part of the style. Maybe by Wilco and maybe the way you want it to be done. You did not live to the fullest if you haven't got a tat or a piece of the tat hammered in. But between now and then I will have switched stances on the subject a lot I am afraid :D

The continuation of the piece will be a bit like this. Shoulder and upper arm just one side (right shoulder/upper arm):

staat-echt-gaaf-bij-die-gast-klopt-niet-the-rock-heeft-geen-maori-maar--u-a-tattoodonkey.com.jpg

A new tattoo studio just opened up near me, thought I'd check it out to see if it was any good...I think the results speak for themselves:

whippet.jpg

DERP.

morris%20minor.JPG

Top Bottom