• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers fighting scenes were from a Japanese series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Maybe I misheard what was said, but I was watching VH1's "I Love the 90s -- 1993" and Power Rangers came up. The guy who played the black ranger said that the fighting/costume segments were actually footage from a Japanese show. So if that's true, then one would assume that they just dubbed their voices over the original. Is that true?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Yes.

Also, when you took your picture with the Easter Bunny at the Wal-Mart last spring, that was actually me in a costume.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
boom.gif

Bail out

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Common knowledge as far as I know. They kept running out of footage for the fights, so they had to keep finding new Japanese super hero shows to take footage from, which is why the costumes kept changing IIRC.

aparisi2274

Lyte Edge said:
Common knowledge as far as I know. They kept running out of footage for the fights, so they had to keep finding new Japanese super hero shows to take footage from, which is why the costumes kept changing IIRC.

Hahhahah, see that I didnt know. I always thought it was the same show in Japan, but they just had different variations of the show.

Seth C

aparisi2274 said:
Hahhahah, see that I didnt know. I always thought it was the same show in Japan, but they just had different variations of the show.

Nope. Remember the short-lived V.R. Troopers? That footage was from the same show the original Power Rangers came from, just a newer version of it. The whole thing is a mess.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LinesInTheSand said:
I didn't know this either. Guess I should be shot for not being up on my Power Rangers knowledge :rolleyes

Apparently I had to be some sort of Power Ranger fairy to know this. Hahaha, seriously, making fun of somebody for not knowing something like this is like making fun of a straight guy for not knowing what sucking a fat one is like; it's not something we really wish to know firsthand.

AniHawk

I remember finding this out during the credits of one ep where they were showing bloopers, and the pink ranger screwed up, and started laughing and talking in Japanese.

AniHawk

Seth C said:
Nope. Remember the short-lived V.R. Troopers? That footage was from the same show the original Power Rangers came from, just a newer version of it. The whole thing is a mess.

Wow. Didn't know that. Wonder if they'll eventually catch up.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The stateside versions of Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Ultraman, Saban's Masked Rider, and Beetleborgs were all based off different Toei shows in Japan.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the Yellow Ranger was a guy in the fight scenes. :) Love the horrible use of color...the Asian girl is the YELLOW ranger, the black guy is the BLACK ranger, etc. Didn't the PR guy comment on that on I Love The 90s?

Wtf was that Superhuman Samurai show based on? That was the worst thing EVAR.

Lyte Edge said:
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the Yellow Ranger was a guy in the fight scenes. :) Love the horrible use of color...the Asian girl is the YELLOW ranger, the black guy is the BLACK ranger, etc. Didn't the PR guy comment on that on I Love The 90s?

So by that logic they were using...

Yellow Ranger: Asian girl
Black Ranger: Black guy
Red Ranger: Indian guy?
Pink Ranger: White girl
Blue Ranger: ... some kind of fish man?
Green Ranger: Alien?
White Ranger: Albino?

bjork

It's not too hard to tell the differences, even if you only watched like one episode.

They'd be in school or wherever, and then fight in some park with white soccer moms and stuff. Then suddenly, when they morphed, their body sizes all changed (and not in the bigger sense)... the park was a rock quarry or something, and the film quality was way shittier. Very visibly apparent.

I was watching a special effects documentary, and some guy said that the X-Wings in Star Wars were actually just models and not real interstellar spacecraft. Is that true?

Shouta

Each iteration of the show is based on a different sentai series so when you see them change outfits and robots, that means they ran out of footage from one series and decided to make a new one =b. Current Power Rangers run as long as the JP counterparts and use footage only from that series. No more costume switching and etc.

Power Rangers actually has a consistent universe to it and which all the series tie together in one manner or the next. Power Rangers -> Power Rangers Zeo -> Power Rangers Turbo -> In space -> Lost Galaxy -> Lightspeed Rescue -> Timeforce -> Wild Force -> Ninja Storm -> Dino Thunder in that order. The linear progression of the series ends with the last episode of In Space (which actually ties up many of the loose ends that the writers wrote up in previous Mighty Morphin Power Ranger season) Then Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Timeforce, and Wildforce are supposed to overlap a little in occurences IIRC.

Too much I can talk about ;p.

AniHawk

Shouta said:
Each iteration of the show is based on a different sentai series so when you see them change outfits and robots, that means they ran out of footage from one series and decided to make a new one =b. Current Power Rangers run as long as the JP counterparts and use footage only from that series. No more costume switching and etc.

Power Rangers actually has a consistent universe to it and which all the series tie together in one manner or the next. Power Rangers -> Power Rangers Zeo -> Power Rangers Turbo -> In space -> Lost Galaxy -> Lightspeed Rescue -> Timeforce -> Wild Force -> Ninja Storm -> Dino Thunder in that order. The linear progression of the series ends with the last episode of In Space (which actually ties up many of the loose ends that the writers wrote up in previous Mighty Morphin Power Ranger season) Then Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Timeforce, and Wildforce are supposed to overlap a little in occurences IIRC.

Too much I can talk about ;p.

I remember the last ep of In Space. Last time I was actually interested in the show were its final eps.

ManDudeChild said:
So by that logic they were using...

Yellow Ranger: Asian girl
Black Ranger: Black guy
Red Ranger: Indian guy?
Pink Ranger: White girl
Blue Ranger: ... some kind of fish man?
Green Ranger: Alien?
White Ranger: Albino?

ROTFL :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Shouta said:
Made the series even more obvious when they were using White Ranger footage from Dairanger and mixing the film with MMPR footage from Zyuranger. Would have been easier if they just changed the damn costumes to the same one the white ranger had.

"We ran out of Zyuranger footage to use for MMPR since the green ranger died in the japanese series... what should we do?"
"Go ahead and use the footage from the next series Dairanger but only use the White Ranger."
"Shouldn't we change the costumes of the rangers to the same series that we use white from?
"Nah, thanks to modern editing technolgy, kids won't even know that we ran out of footage.."
"But won't they know whenever we they see that the enemy isn't in the same shot as the white ranger?
"Good point, just change the robot footage then to Dairanger so the robot fight scene is the same with the series"

:p

JackFrost2012 said:
I was watching a special effects documentary, and some guy said that the X-Wings in Star Wars were actually just models and not real interstellar spacecraft. Is that true?
He was just trying to sell a book.

Tritroid

Defensor said:
I always loved that explosion, it looked so hardcore.

Anyway, out of all the series (American):

Zeo > Space > Mighty Morphin' > Lost Galaxy > Turbo > Wild Force > Time Force > Dino Thunder (thus far anyway) > Ninja Storm > Lightspeed Rescue.

Zeo was the greatest simply because Jason returned as the Gold Ranger ^-^. They also had the coolest zords during this period imo, along with the Zord hangar bay.

Space is a really close second in my book though because it took on such a dark approach compared to other branches of the series. The introduction of the Pyscho Rangers was awesome in that it was the first time the Rangers were actually fighting a foe that managed to literally kick their asses every time. And of course Space had the best series ending out of all. They could have easily ended the entire Power Rangers show in the states with this ending, what with the death of Zordon and the death/rebirth of every major enemy up to that period.

Hooker

I'm sooo glad I was too old to watch this shit when it came out. My next-door neighbour did like it though.

My Optimus Prime was always beating the crap out of his, mega-ultra-zord or something :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
lol @ Skeletor.

I always loved that explosion, it looked so hardcore.

Anyway, out of all the series (American):

Zeo > Space > Mighty Morphin' > Lost Galaxy > Turbo > Wild Force > Time Force > Dino Thunder (thus far anyway) > Ninja Storm > Lightspeed Rescue.

Zeo was the greatest simply because Jason returned as the Gold Ranger ^-^. They also had the coolest zords during this period imo, along with the Zord hangar bay.

Space is a really close second in my book though because it took on such a dark approach compared to other branches of the series. The introduction of the Pyscho Rangers was awesome in that it was the first time the Rangers were actually fighting a foe that managed to literally kick their asses every time. And of course Space had the best series ending out of all. They could have easily ended the entire Power Rangers show in the states with this ending, what with the death of Zordon and the death/rebirth of every major enemy up to that period.

You and my 3 year old would get a long really well... lol!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
All I know is I saw the White Ranger do Liu Kang's bicycle kick on some weird looking monster thing during an episode and it was awesome. I think it was from the Ninja version.

They used to show it after school got out back when I was in high school. Its actually kinda funny. I was in the 11th grade during homeroom and we were all sitting around talking and someone let it slip out that he watched Power Rangers every day. He mentioned the bicycle kick and I was like "hell yeah, I saw that, it was awesome". Before you know it at least 7-8 other people sitting in our area fessed up to watching the show. Truth be told there was nothing on TV after school except for Xmen, followed by Power Rangers, followed by Spiderman so I'm not surprised that so many of us watched it. But it was kinda funny seeing so many different high school kids (jocks, goths, etc) fessing up to watching the show.

teiresias

Yeah, I was too old to be watching Power Rangers, though I'd watch it if it was one of the seasons with a cute Red Ranger :)

I also liked the first movie for what it was (which thankfully used no recycled Japanese footage).

Tritroid

DaCocoBrova said:
lol @ Skeletor.

You and my 3 year old would get a long really well... lol!
Please. Your 3 year old brat would only know of Ninja Storm and the current Dino Thunder.

I have no time for people who have only seen the more recent series branches, since they are for the most part crap.

Wahey, people still watch the American versions? I got sick of it after we lost the original cast. No hot Red Ranger = I'm unhappy. Though I must say, I'm glad to know that after the first tie in they kept each series tied within the storyline. It shows that it wasn't all a bunch of a crap thrown together to demonize kids.

Tritroid

btw, just for the few interested that stopped watching the series eons ago:

They brought Tommy back for Dino Thunder. He's a black ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom