• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-ordered a Switch, now on the fence if I should cancel... Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutFox

Banned
So as the title says...

I pre-ordered a Switch, but with the current stream of info,
it's put me on the fence...

Haven't cancelled yet though,
I'm waiting to see if Nintendo releases more info soon.

Thing is, I will get a Switch eventually, but maybe the launch isn't for me.
(Zelda on the Wii U should tide me over)

Anyone else on the fence with their Switch pre-order?

On the fence with a Pre-order as well.

I'm always on the fence these days when it comes to Nintendo products. I always get them anyway and I never learn my lessons. This one is more wait and see than the last two for me, however, as the mobile aspect does not appeal to me in the slightest. I very rarely game on the move.

Lemaitre

Banned
I canceled mine three days ago.

With all the news coming out this week I just couldn't see myself committing to it. Will end up playing Zelda on the U.

kobu

If you have a wii u just get zelda there and wait to see how this console plays out because it looks like its launching before its ready.

Gnilres

Same boat

Zelda is the single most important franchise to me, tho and I want the best edition of BotW (Master Edition if I can get my hands on it).

I may just buy the Wii U version and the Switch Version and wait on the actual console. If I can't get my hands on the Master Edition at all, I'll just cancel my pre-order of the Switch.

The thing is, pre-order cancelations are probably the most powerful thing you can do as a consumer right now. I see Nintendo trying to take Microsoft's place as the worst prelaunch a console can have. I kind of feel like my money might be best spent somewhere else. I have been playing Overwatch mostly anyway.

Probably wait until close to launch if they have another direct to see if they impress you.

But nobody ever needs a console at launch. It's always best to wait a year

zonq

I'm still torn and the news surrounding it don't sound too great, but I'm certain latest after a year or when Mario is out I'd get one anyway, since I'm really into Nintendo exclusives and for me it's the perfect addition to my gaming PC.

I looked at it rationally: what are the benefits from waiting till the Mario release? Knowing Nintendo, I don't think you can expect a big price drop. Maybe they bundle a game with it, 1,2 Switch, maybe Arms, Mario if you're lucky. Say you save like $70. Then you gotta think about it: is not using the Switch for 9 months worth $70 to you? Being in Europe, I can use the free Online Gaming for MK8D, Splatoon 2 and maybe Bomberman (if it drops in price). Since I travel at least once internationally just having it for that flight it will be awesome.

For me, it's probably not worth waiting for that bit of saving. The question is more like: Will you get the Switch anyway down the line? Don't cancel your pre-order, since I personally don't expect crazy price cuts or huge savings from the big N. If you don't know if you'll like NIntendo games and it just catches dust, welllll, that's another topic and no one knows except you.

Mortemis

Banned
been on the fence since the moment I pre-ordered

the hardware itself is really nice (not talking power ofc), and it has zelda (not buying a wii u), but there's so many things to be turned off. it'll probably come down to like a week before it comes out if I want to keep my pre-order

JaseMath

I'm torn.

On one hand, it's Zelda and I want to experience BotW in the most optimal way possible and I'd get one anyway. On the other hand, I just can't stomach Nintendo's anti-consumer approach anymore.

Bioshocker

Getting consoles at launch is usually not a good idea anyway. Games are sparse, small hick-ups are to be solved and the price is high. Wait for a holiday bundle instead.

Jonboy

Holding onto mine for now but I'm leaning toward canceling before release day. Need concrete details about the VC and online infrastructure before I decide to keep it.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm the opposite. Had no intention of getting at launch, but I snagged a preorder, and I wanna have Zelda be portable and look as nice as possible, etc. etc.

So yea, I'm keeping it. Was gonna buy it anyways, may as well be sooner rather than get frustrated trying to obtain one later.

EDarkness

Please cancel it to allow those that actually want them to be able to acquire them.

I was just going to post something like this. If you think you're not gonna be able to enjoy it, then cancel so those who want one can have it. No point in buying something you're not gonna back or try to enjoy. Let those who will have their shot at it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Keep the pre-order and see if you can resell on launch, if not just return it.

Everything about the device pisses me off, but I haven't owned a Nintendo device since the Gamecube / DS.

So fuck it, now is the time so I'm okay with my pre-order.

What are you guys' thoughts on how the Switch handles backwards compatibility and legacy titles. I'd be great to play all those Zelda games I missed out on the Wii / Wii U. And a few Mario's I'd like to play, like 3D Land/World.

The last Zelda game I played was Wind Waker, didn't even finish it due to time restraints.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cancelled mine.

Zelda is just one game. One game isn't worth $360+. Especially when there are literally a ton of other great games from now until April on machines I already have. Mario Kart and Splatoon are none starters with paid online bullshit so, those are gone.

Maybe next year or after a price drop or portable only version.

//ARCANUM

There's a gaffer who wants to get one for his little girl. Let him have the pre-order if your on the fence

Yep this ^.

Also, if your pre-order is on amazon it's very very easy to change the shipping address. Gaffer PayPals you, you change address, everyone wins.

If you don't want the pre-order that is.

Nah. None of the info really bothered me. Like it's just a bunch of stuff I don't really care about honestly. As long as the Switch plays Nintendo Games and gets some cool third party titles, I'm happy.

I preordered it, then realized that taxes are due the following month and I'm gonna owe something like $400-600, and about a week before it comes out my car registration is due and that'll be $120, so now I'm like... fuck.

I'm not one to buy a console to flip but I'm kind of wondering if I should get my Switch and Zelda and put it on eBay to cover my taxes. Not at some bullshit inflated price, I'd set it at what it cost me and see if anyone bids it up at all. But even that makes me feel kind of shitty so I might just cancel it. Sigh.

EDarkness

There's a gaffer who wants to get one for his little girl. Let him have the pre-order if your on the fence

Oh. That's awesome. I have two pre-orders and I can offer one up to someone who can get to Best Buy if they want it. I'm gonna keep my Amazon one. Not sure how to transfer it, but I'd be open to it if it were possible.

hatchx

Banned
Depends if Mario kart, splatoon 2, and ARMs are exciting to you, because those are the big three games outside of Zelda in the launch window.

//ARCANUM

Also, I don't believe Amazon will just go and relist cancelled preorders any time soon (unless there's a metric shit ton). Usually they just keep those in the system and then after launch you see a bunch show up on the site.

So if you're actually interested in a gaffer securing a preorder as opposed to a scalper (potentially), it's better to help out a gaffer directly than putting it back into amazon's system for them to release who knows when.

mlclmtckr

Banned
None of the disappointing news (voice chat, Netflix) really affects me. So I'm still in. I understand why people are cancelling though.

I preordered it, then realized that taxes are due the following month and I'm gonna owe something like $400-600, and about a week before it comes out my car registration is due and that'll be $120, so now I'm like... fuck.

I'm not one to buy a console to flip but I'm kind of wondering if I should get my Switch and Zelda and put it on eBay to cover my taxes. Not at some bullshit inflated price, I'd set it at what it cost me and see if anyone bids it up at all. But even that makes me feel kind of shitty so I might just cancel it. Sigh.

Give your order to a different person on gaf. Like everyone else said on this thread to the OP.

Kolx

No reason to get at launch really if you have WiiU. Just wait until holiday where there will be some games on the system and you may even find some deals.

redcrayon

Just cancel it if you're on the fence. You can always get one a few months down the line when there's cheaper bundles and there's more games coming out. Nobody needs a console at launch outside of pre-order hype, they are at the most expensive with the least features and poorest range of games they will ever have.

Why do you need it day one at all? Just cancel the preorder and get it during Christmas.

The games are not going to magically disappear from the shelves if you wait.

Nah. Hardware looks great, Nintendo games look great. Non-stop negative threads in here with abusive people doesn't help, but I still feel largely positive about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom