• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President of Index (former Atlus owner) arrested

FluxWaveZ

Via this Nikkei article, Index Corporation's chairman Masami Ochiai (54) and his wife, the president of the company, Yoshimi Ochiai (48) were arrested on suspicions of financial statement fraud.

This is after the company was under investigation a year ago on suspicion of cooking the books, which followed the company declaring bankruptcy with 24.5 billion yen in debt and which resulted in Yoshimi Ochiai and Masami Ochiai "intending" to resign.

— Nikkei, Gematsu

Kade

This took a while. Thought they knew for sure that their books were fraudulent before. I don't know anything about Japan's justice/law systems.

FluxWaveZ

Is the news article accessible from PAL territories?

Here's the Gematsu article/translation.

Edit: Joke totally went over my head.
ibiSSL1jmO2MSX.jpg

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Thanks for posting my Gematsu article, Flux!

Normally I don't do business translations, so I had to do more research than usual to make sure I was getting my terms right and the final work probably came out a little stiffly as a result in an attempt to emulate conventional English business publication styles. Hopefully it all makes sense!

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan#Conviction_rate

"One of the main features of the Japanese criminal justice system well known in the rest of the world is its extremely high conviction rate, which exceeds 99%."

Don't drop the soap.

That number is never quoted with proper context. Unlike in countries such as the US, Japanese prosecutors are actually given discretion with respect to whether to actually follow up on a defendant's charges in court. Standard procedure is for them to heavily investigate the backgrounds of the defendents before deciding whether to commence a trial and while it's not universally 100 percent the case that all alleged first time offenders will have their charges dropped before a trial proceeds, it does mean that the 99 percent only applies to cases that actually make it to trial. Ergo, the 99 percent conviction rate doesn't mean that 99 percent of people who get arrested go to jail.

There are obviously still systemic issues behind that number being so absurdly high in cases where a trial does still commence, but that's neither here nor there. That 99 percent figure almost never at all means what people unfamiliar with the Japanese legal system insinuate.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Seems like its been coming for a while. Does Japan do conjugal visits for their married inmates?

Fairly certain that's not the case, at least from what I recall of when I last paid a visit to a Japanese prison for a legal research trip. But I'm not sure what the policy is in cases where both people are imprisoned, if there is any, given how unusual that would naturally be.

Nemecyst

Fairly certain that's not the case, at least from what I recall of when I last paid a visit to a Japanese prison for a legal research trip. But I'm not sure what the policy is in cases where both people are imprisoned, if there is any, given how unusual that would naturally be.

Damn, guess they have to get used to the idea of "same-cell strange" then. I wonder if they feel the fruit(the money) was worth the thorns?

Shengar

How serious is the offense of financial crime in Japan? I just hope they don't brought any company down with them.

Thanks for posting my Gematsu article, Flux!

Normally I don't do business translations, so I had to do more research than usual to make sure I was getting my terms right and the final work probably came out a little stiffly as a result in an attempt to emulate conventional English business publication styles. Hopefully it all makes sense!

While I'm not super up on my English legal jargon, I am at least up on the JP end. Looks fine to me, meaning-wise.

As for the topic itself, the writing was on the wall for a while. It was just a matter of time before somebody got charged for something. Atlus got out at the right time.

crinale

IMO Atlus is no longer related with index so it should't affect Atlus a bit.
Before they were bought out by Sega ppl were worried because the parent company (Index) was not in good shape at all.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
While I'm not super up on my English legal jargon, I am at least up on the JP end. Looks fine to me, meaning-wise.

As for the topic itself, the writing was on the wall for a while. It was just a matter of time before somebody got charged for something. Atlus got out at the right time.

That's good to hear. I was pretty confident that I got through what needed to be conveyed, but having that extra thumbs up from somebody more knowledgeable in that field is always comforting. I keep meaning to brush up on that sort of stuff soon since I find myself dealing with business articles more and more as a freelancer, but yeah. Thanks!

Wait, didn't Sega buy Index, not just Atlus?

That's correct, although like I wrote in the article, Sega has since legally spun them off into separate entities, making the two no longer synonymous with one another.

Shengar

That's correct, although like I wrote in the article, Sega has since legally spun them off into separate entities, making the two no longer synonymous with one another.

So Sega made the necessary move to save Atlus from its abusive (former) parent? Good I say.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
So Sega made the necessary move to save Atlus from its abusive (former) parent? Good I say.

The original buyout already resulted in a change of leadership under Sega's hands prior to the split since the acquisition was made as the result of an auction meant to pay off old Index's existing debts. So the buyout in that sense had already saved Atlus from Index's upper management. The split was mostly done as a means of better organizing Sega's new property; Atlus has always been a game development studio, so why keep them tied to all of the IT stuff that other parts of Index were (supposedly) known for? Basically it was just done so each part of the acquisition could focus on what it does best without any unnecessary mingling from unrelated parties.

Top Bottom