• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential assassination attempts: what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

People used to try and bust a cap in the president back in the 70s/early 80s, but you never hear about it nowadays.

Are they just better at covering up these kinds of happenings, or are people just not trying to kill the president any more?

Not that I want to see it happen or anything, it just strikes me as odd that nobody's tried pulling off some hairbrained schemes in the last 20 years.

belgurdo

Banned
Cessna vs. White House during the Clinton Administration :eek:

But yeah, I'm surprised no one's taken a plastic gun to Dubya yet (what was the name of that movie, anyway?)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
actually last attempt was in 94, when Bin Laden put a contract out on Clinton. He wanted the guy who did the WTC bombings in 93, Ramzi Yousef, to take out Clinton while Clinton was on a tour of Southeast Asia, namely the Phillipines. The problem, though, is that Yousef isn't like your normal fundamentalist.... he was merely a hired hand. This brought about the unfortunate side effect of not wanting to die. Yousef's analyzation of the situation was that even a suicide bomber would have a hard time getting to the president nowadays, let alone pulling off something from further away (a la JFK).

We didn't find this out until we apprehended him in the Phillipines in 2000 (I think that's when it was... could have been as early as 1998), when we had him arrested for suspicious activity that involved a test of a terror attack he devised for Bin Laden. The Phillipine government caught him flying airplanes awfully close to tall buildings and skyscrapers over there, and then found written plans for such an attack.

But, I digress. 93, it appears, was the last time an actual hit had been put out on the President that we know about, as far as I'm aware.

I believe there have been a few plots broken up in the planning stages on the current President Bush. When these types of things happen they tend not to make a big deal out of them - probably as to not encourage any other imitators from trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom