• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey for the Gods |KS| Survival against giant creatures, PC/PS4/XB1

And with the 500k level for expanded environments such as intricate cave structures! Way to go team! Twenty minutes to go.

Hot (or cold) damn I'm excited!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
In for $30. I'll gift one to my brother. :)

Hope we get previous level awards, the special grappling hook
would be cool.

So they've got an estimate on paypal donations thus far, at $35k. This roughly sits their total at $535k, though obviously we've no info on how that's built up in terms of time. They might still get that level artist though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Any news on the game? I only heard about it today :/ sad that I missed it ;_;

YjserIz.gif

Sogood.gif

Any news on the game? I only heard about it today :/ sad that I missed it ;_;

YjserIz.gif

Sogood.gif

"Twitch
I've been trying out a schedule of 2:00pm PST on Monday and Wednesday. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to try to keep it to an hour or so. Initially, I'll be starting with outfit concepts (the elite stuff) and then move to modeling, then play some games and chat about game design overall.

Feel free to join us!
https://www.twitch.tv/preyforthegods

Thanks again and talk to you soon!
Brian
No Matter Studios"

Game's name got changed. Now it's Praey For The Gods

From the newsletter if anyone wanted more info...

Wha!? Why are you now PRAEY for the Gods!?
Oh yea that...so we didn’t want to do this but we had to change our game name from Prey for the Gods to Praey for the Gods. Thankfully we get to keep the logo but we will spell it “Praey for the Gods”. Honestly, we could make this entire newsletter about our thoughts on this. Trademark law is what we were dealing with and we aren’t under any NDA so we can state the opposition in this situation, Bethesda/Zenimax.

We could’ve fought this and we did think about it for quite a while. Something like a trademark opposition can be long and depending on how far someone wants to fight it can be very expensive. We didn’t want to spend our precious Kickstarter funds, nor did we want to have to ask for additional funds to fight this in court. Using backer money towards something that doesn’t go towards the development or backer rewards felt horrible to us. Even if we did win we’d have to spend a solid chunk of our funds and in our opinion it wasn’t worth it.

The truth is we initially thought about naming the game Præy for the Gods prior to our initial trailer. The logo has both the woman praying against the duality of prey, and thankfully we get to continue to use that. We figured people would have a hard time trying to type in the æ symbol in search engines etc. This was back in 2015 when we posted a trailer on Facebook and Twitter with had no idea if 100 or even 1000 people would watch the trailer. We were applying for both Prey for the Gods, and Præy for the Gods trademarks shortly after as we realized the extent of what we were making. Unfortunately, Zenimax chose to oppose our mark, as they felt both were too similar to their mark “Prey” which they purchased from Id Software, in 2009. While we disagree with their opposition we were able to come to an agreement.

It was something that kept me up many nights, and no doubt shifted our focus from our game frequently. Worrying about the outcome if we went to trial, if we’d lose our fans or walk away from the mark and still potentially get sued for millions on trademark infringement. This is really something no starting company should have to deal with let alone a tiny team of 3. So the fact that we came out the other end intact still developing the game was a win. One that will no doubt shape our company moving forward.

They should have gone with 'Pray for the Gods'. Praey is just weird.

Fuck Bethesda/Zenimax for this actually being an issue though, christ.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Along with the Scrolls things, Bethesda is really being asshole-ish in trademarks. Not sure if they're at 'Edge' level (well at least they have a tangible product for their trademarks), but still.

I'm glad a single letter made this better. Hope development is going great!

That's some BS right there. I know it sounds petty, but I'm officially not going to buy Prey if this is the kind of shit they're going to pull.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Praey has already been used enough that Google accepts it in searches instead of suggesting pray/prey. At least it's just in things like movie and song titles instead of games, so with any luck they won't run into another problem like that.

Wozman23

This is dumb! 'Prey for the Gods' was such a great name. As much as I like people to go out of their way to name stuff oddly, the 'ae' ruins a great pun.

I can't properly convey the amount of Rage I have for Bethesda/Zenimax. They've been on the Brink of overstepping their boundaries with trademarks for years. They should face some Fallout over this. They've Dishonored themselves. The Evil Within that company... We need some type of Rogue Warrior lawyer, from the office of Wolfen-Stein, who isn't afraid to get his feet Wet and will go toe to toe with them to make them meet their Doom....

...Hunted: The Demon's Forge...

This is dumb! 'Prey for the Gods' was such a great name. As much as I like people to go out of their way to name stuff oddly, the 'ae' ruins a great pun.

I can't properly convey the amount of Rage I have for Bethesda/Zenimax. They've been on the Brink of overstepping their boundaries with trademarks for years. They should face some Fallout over this. They've Dishonored themselves. The Evil Within that company... We need some type of Rogue Warrior lawyer, from the office of Wolfen-Stein, who isn't afraid to get his feet Wet and will go toe to toe with them to make them meet their Doom....

...Hunted: The Demon's Forge...

toMORROW is going to be WINDy

I'm going to blame the name change at the random bethesda employee who saw this thread and the second post.

They proceeded to take it seriously, and submitted it up the ladder until lawyers got involved.

Well uh thanks Bethesda for putting this on my radar I guess..?
Hadn't heard about it before

It looks kinda brilliant. Definitely interested in getting it on PS4

Sucks that they had to change the name, at least they got to keep their cool logo.

Præy for the Gods |KS| Survival against giant MEDIA COMPANIES, PC/PS4/XB1

There, fixed the OT title for you.

Seriously, I like Bethesda games and such, but this kind of stuff is BULLSHIT Bethesda.

On my high horse as usual and I'm probably the only one that won't buy Prey now solely because of Bethesdas bullshit, but I just wanted to repeat that Prey lost at least one sale because of this forced name change.

I really wish people wouldn't put up with this kind of bullshit. Even if people could just hold off on buying Prey long enough for Bethesda to decide picking on some indie devs is not a great idea that would have been great.

Valahart

They should have gone with 'Pray for the Gods'. Praey is just weird.

Fuck Bethesda/Zenimax for this actually being an issue though, christ.

Guess they didn't want to lose their little ambiguity title situation there in which the character is praying and she's a prey.

Newsletter 9 has some pretty big updates!

Tl;dr they made all terrain climbable, added a glider, are tweaking the save system, got new terrain tools, are adding more enemies, new items - including bedrolls - and polishing the game in general. Working towards Closed Alpha, they're working on the third boss with prototypes of 4 and 5 in development. Game won't be demoed at PAX West.

Edit: Badass beating me with the gifs.

TDLink

I'm all for things blatantly ripping off BotW.

The way they're implementing the "Hookshot" looks crazy awesome.

Top Bottom