• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prime Now users: do you tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now I'm supposed to keep an eye on the driver and see how far they drove to determine the tip they might deserve? Fuck that noise.

It should never be on the customer to evaluate performance of the worker.

It shows you where the driver is and how far he/she has to go so its easy to see.

You're essentially measuring customer service with a tip so thats where youre evaluating performance. Thats the point of the tip.

If they fuck up too bad then dont pay them their tip. Otherwise pay the tip just like 15-20% is the norm at most restaurants, $5 dollars is the norm for this service.

Unrelated to Prime Now, but I don't really understand much about tipping and why everyone demands/expects people to tip for everything. I kind of feel like an asshole because of it.

Isn't the point of a tip to let you know your services were exceptional and went above and beyond? If I were to tip everyone, wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Someone help and explain it to me please.

Society is weird.

There are thousand of threads here about trivial things like wedding gifts and stuff or forward paying.

If a company sent me something through a courier service, it will be there within a few hours. But that is business related, not for myself. But I don't tip those people, I figure they get a regular salary.

Mailman gets a salary now. They used to be paid per package, but new regulations were put in place recently because they were getting screwed over with that. And honestly, that's how it should be, let the company doing the delivery pay for it and fight that stuff out with its employees, regulators and possible unions. What do I as a customer have to do with that?

But well, that's Europe. Tipping culture is different in America. I wouldn't tip here anyway.

Why not just have that $5 be mandatory by Amazon for the service then and have them pay it to their delivery people? Seems like a better way to handle this.

E-fucking-xactly. That's how it would've been done here in northern Europe.

So "not tipping" is punishing people now?

The rhetorics is fucked up. DeaviL is on point in this regard.

Tipping is expected for this service. If you pay a tip you can have your baggage checked in curbside at most airports without having to stand in line with all your shit. Tipping is expected for that extra service. If you goto a sit-down restaurant then 15-20% tip is expected for that service. These are norms in american society.

If you dont tip when its expected because you dont believe in it then yes, youre a fucking asshole. Youre going against the norm because you think youre better than everybody else and youre fuckin over a worker whose pay depends on tips that are the norm.

finalflame

Prime NOW isn't the same service. And the dude you're stiffing is kind of relying on tips to make it worthwhile. I am not a fan of tipping culture. It leads to employee abuse at an institutional level. I wish it would go away. But it's here, and you're screwing that dude whether you intend to or not.

Prime Now is for Prime users only. I pay $99/year for Prime. I find it crummy Amazon makes it a tipped service instead of simply paying a higher base wage.

Tipping is expected for this service. If you pay a tip you can have your baggage checked in curbside at most airports without having to stand in line with all your shit. Tipping is expected for that extra service. If you goto a sit-down restaurant then 15-20% tip is expected for that service. These are norms in american society.

If you dont tip when its expected because you dont believe in it then yes, youre a fucking asshole. Youre going against the norm because you think youre better than everybody else and youre fuckin over a worker whose pay depends on tips that are the norm.

What exactly do you think makes the server's work more valuable than the people busting their asses in the kitchen? Because those people are 99.9% of the time working for minimum wage and NOT getting tipped. So a server is depending on a tip for their wage, meaning they'll likely haul $20+/hr (worked in the food service business for years, in tipped positions, and often I made even more than this), while the people slaving over the griddles and grills, handling knives and doing prep, are okay at $7.25/hr?

I tip at restaurants. I tip pizza delivery drivers (delivered pizza also for many years). However, there is really fine line between "tipping culture" and sheer entitlement.

Outside of random insults you don't bring any arguments to the table.

E-fucking-xactly. That's how it would've been done here in northern Europe.
Because its a tip. If that driver fucked up everything then dont pay it. Amazon gives you that power. Otherwise if everything went to plan then pay the suggested amount. Its not hard to understand.

The whole paying $99/per year is exactly why you SHOULDN'T tip.

This would be like Costco asking for a membership fee and then also asking you to tip the cashiers on the way out.

Fuck that.

Keri

Prime Now is for Prime users only. I pay $99/year for Prime. I find it crummy Amazon makes it a tipped service instead of simply paying a higher base wage.

Do you honestly expect unlimited 1-hour delivery, for only $99/year? That's pretty crazy.

Keri

Sure, otherwise just say it's not free, and charge me $4.99/delivery.

Dude, do you honestly expect 1-hour delivery for only $4.99? Any other online retailer charges $20.00+ for one business-day delivery. Your expectations are ridiculous.

finalflame

Dude, do you honestly expect 1-hour delivery for only $4.99? Any other online retailer charges $20.00+ for one business-day delivery. Your expectations are ridiculous.

You realize other services (Instacart) already do this, right? In fact, with Instacart, it's free if your order is over $35, if you pay for Instacart express ($99/yr).

moggio

Banned

Again someone trying to blame the customer for a worker not being paid a living wage by their employer.

A tip is not an obligation. If it is it is not a tip.

Your "norms" are seriously broken and need to change.

Keri

You realize other services (Instacart, Google Shopping Express) already do this, right?

If those services are perfectly equivalent and don't recommend tipping, then why didn't you use one of those? (It doesn't look like Google has equivalent 1-hour delivery).

What random insults? Youre an asshole if you dont tip when using a service where tip is expected. Thats not random at all.

I get your point, but its becoming expected in places where it never has been before.

Are we supposed to just deal with it and say nothing?

Should I really be tipping on fucking Take-Out orders where nothing was even delivered? Because that's "expected" now.

I get your point, but its becoming expected in places where it never has been before.

Should I really be tipping on fucking Take-Out orders where nothing was even delivered? Because that's "expected" now.

Yes. No less than 15% tbh

Again someone trying to blame the customer for a worker not being paid a living wage by their employer.

A tip is not an obligation. If it is it is not a tip.

Your "norms" are seriously broken and need to change.

Theyre not even my norms dont blame me. If someone wants to start a service where tipping is encouraged and expected of customers then they should have that freedom. If you disagree then find another service.

moggio

Banned
Theyre not even my norms dont blame me. If someone wants to start a service where tipping is encouraged and expected of customers then they should have that freedom. If you disagree then find another service.

Or use the service and don't tip because tipping is not an obligation.

Not my fault your system is broken, mate.

But why?

What did they do to go "above and beyond" their normal duties.

They made my sandwich and stuffed it in a bag.

McDonald's workers don't get tips,so why should Deli workers?

Wow, clearly you don't care about the love that goes into every slice of ham on your sandwich. Not to mention the bag that's of higher quality than anything Glad can offer.

Hope you enjoy hock spit with your ham hocks.

Personally if im at a nice coffee shop where they go the extra mile and do fancy latte pours and stuff then I'll tip.

At a takeout place i dont leave 15-20% a lot either. Sometimes nothing or a buck or two if i have a rapport with them. No shame in that cause youre right, it's takeout.

Wow, clearly you don't care about the love that goes into every slice of ham on your sandwich. Not to mention the bag that's of higher quality than anything Glad can offer.

Hope you enjoy hock spit with your ham hocks.

I honestly can't tell if you are being serious or not XD

I'll just move along now, I think I've made my point well enough.

If those services are perfectly equivalent and don't recommend tipping, then why didn't you use one of those? (It doesn't look like Google has equivalent 1-hour delivery).

Why should they want to use those? Objecting to a practice hasn't stopped many (probably yourself as well) from using products or services. If people did there would be more vegetarians or meat companies that excelled in animal care would be at the top financially but they're not.

Is funny how defensive people can get about customs although they are obviously not just silly but also hurting people (inhuman hourly wages etc.).

Keri

Why should they want to use those? Objecting to a practice hasn't stopped many (probably yourself as well) from using products or services. If people did there would be more vegetarians or meat companies that excelled in animal care would be at the top financially but they're not.

I could not care less, what services the OP wants to use. The question I have is, are his expectations reasonable? The only way it's reasonable for him to expect free 1-hour delivery, is if other companies are providing that same service. So, are they? Are they offering the same variety of products, for free 1-hour delivery? Do they have a $99 yearly fee or lower? If so, then maybe he has a point and I should be cancelling my Prime membership too. If not, then I still think we're getting a good deal.

(Also, I'm not getting the sense that OP is objecting, because he wants to ensure Amazon is paying the delivery people a fair wage. He's objecting because he doesn't want to pay anything at all (other than the $99/ yearly fee).

I could not care less, what services the OP wants to use. The question I have is, are his expectations reasonable? The only way it's reasonable for him to expect free 1-hour delivery, is if other companies are providing that same service. So, are they? Are they offering the same variety of products, for free 1-hour delivery? Do they have a $99 yearly fee or lower? If so, then maybe he has a point and I should be cancelling my Prime membership too. If not, then I still think we're getting a good deal.

His expectations are based on the service he gets. He pays $99 and receives this service. Tip was added. His expectations are now different because there's this added optional fee that throws the original price out of wack. Compared to other services it's cheaper and more convenient. Is it reasonable to want it for the sticker price of $99? Yes. How the company prices their goods is what's reasonable for the person who purchased it.

od5itJ9.gif

At what point does a meme cease to be funny or even to add anything to the conversation?

You're posting a .GIF from a movie that is 23 years old.

Please stop.

ST2K

I was literally about to use Prime Now yesterday and when I got to the point where it asked for a tip, I promptly backed out on my order.

I will never use Prime Now delivery as long as it pushes costs to the customers like that. I already am not a big fan of having to tip for anything, but if you're introducing a new service in 2015 that is a feature of a program you pay $100 a year for, there's no excuse.

Keri

His expectations are based on the service he gets. He pays $99 and receives this service. Tip was added. His expectations are now different because there's this added optional fee that throws the original price out of wack. Compared to other services it's cheaper and more convenient. Is it reasonable to want it for the sticker price of $99? Yes. How the company prices their goods is what's reasonable for the person who purchased it.

That's not how "reasonable" works. An expectation is reasonable, if it is shared by others and based on actual facts and circumstances. If no other company can offer the service the OP wants at the price he wants to pay, then his expectation for having it now, are not reasonable. Also, keep in mind that, unless the OP only very recently purchased his Prime membership, this service didn't exist when he did so. So, he very likely felt that $99/year was a reasonable amount to pay, just for free two-day delivery.

Is there a standard delivery charge? When I order from third-party food/alcohol delivery services, there's usually a flat delivery charge. Then again, we don't generally tip in Australia. A new service launched recently with an automatic tip you had to opt out of, and they removed it within three months of launching.

They are getting paid below minimum wage with no benefits. Pay them. Hell tip ANYONE from Amazon. If people are going to get tipped for bringing you food, then the person who delivers to you within two hours most definitely deserves a tip for the wear and tear on their car, the shit hours, gasoline costs, and so forth.

Because its a tip. If that driver fucked up everything then dont pay it. Amazon gives you that power. Otherwise if everything went to plan then pay the suggested amount. Its not hard to understand.
It's not hard to understand. Companies paying employees livable wages isn't a concept that's hard to understand either.

They are getting paid below minimum wage with no benefits. Pay them. Hell tip ANYONE from Amazon. If people are going to get tipped for bringing you food, then the person who delivers to you within two hours most definitely deserves a tip for the wear and tear on their car, the shit hours, gasoline costs, and so forth.

Interesting that the below minimum wage fact gets accepted so easily, while not tipping makes one worse than Hitler.

Take a stand where it actually matters. Don't use services from companies that have suggested tips. Don't stiff the damn independent contractors but still use the service and expect that somehow this country will change magically.

That's not how "reasonable" works. An expectation is reasonable, if it is shared by others and based on actual facts and circumstances. If no other company can offer the service the OP wants at the price he wants to pay, then his expectation for having it now, are not reasonable. Also, keep in mind that, unless the OP only very recently purchased his Prime membership, this service didn't exist when he did so. So, he very likely felt that $99/year was a reasonable amount to pay, just for free two-day delivery.

That is how reasonable works. Amazon offers this service and it exists for $99. This makes it reasonable (based on your definition as well).

Take a stand where it actually matters. Don't use services from companies that have suggested tips. Don't stiff the damn independent contractors but still use the service and expect that somehow this country will change magically.

Why should people stop using that service if they object against tipping? They don't dislike the service, they dislike the added optional charge.

Interesting that the below minimum wage fact gets accepted so easily, while not tipping makes one worse than Hitler.
No one likes that. No one has said they like that. What's actually happening is people become aware of these facts but still support the companies anyway. The only person getting fucked is the worker. People getting paid below minimum wage will keep happening as long as the companies are getting theirs while doing it.

Flandy

Isn't that just waiters? Even then aren't waiters still paid at least minimum wage if they fail to make up for it with tips?

Isn't that just waiters? Even then aren't waiters still paid at least minimum wage if they fail to make up for it with tips?
Waiters are employees. Couriers are independent contractors. They aren't guaranteed any hourly wage at all. They're literally our neighbors waiting around for their phone to beep with a new job, or they're given a short term list of picks and drops.

GrapeApes

Didn't realize it was optional. Only used it once and the tip was part of the bill. Had a coupon so it was cheaper than regular delivery. Don't see myself using Prime Now without a coupon. I can wait the 2 days without having to pay extra for tip.

Flandy

Waiters are employees. Couriers are independent contractors. They aren't guaranteed any hourly wage at all. They're literally our neighbors waiting around for their phone to beep with a new job, or they're given a short term list of picks and drops.
So it's like uber or something? I don't have Now in my area. I just assumed it was the same as prime deliveres but I guess not

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They are getting paid below minimum wage with no benefits. Pay them. Hell tip ANYONE from Amazon.
Is this actually true? The flex website on Amazon looks like they would be making $15+/hr + tips and CA min wage for tipped employees (For real companies, not single owner restaurants which pay under the table) should be $9/hr.

Some extra proof on what people are paid would be good to know. It might be a $ per package delivered system (Contracted) though something similar to Uber, but for deliveries. I don't know.
There's a $15 minimum order, and you can only use Prime Now if you've already signed up for Prime which is $99 (and comes with other benefits, the Prime Now thing started just this year). The app "suggests" a $5 tip that you can change to anything, but there's no additional delivery fees that I can see.
$30 minimum order here
*And every order has been delivered by car, not bike (Dunno about Seattle)

Is there a standard delivery charge? When I order from third-party food/alcohol delivery services, there's usually a flat delivery charge. Then again, we don't generally tip in Australia. A new service launched recently with an automatic tip you had to opt out of, and they removed it within three months of launching.

There's a $15 minimum order, and you can only use Prime Now if you've already signed up for Prime which is $99 (and comes with other benefits, the Prime Now thing started just this year). The app "suggests" a $5 tip that you can change to anything, but there's no additional delivery fees that I can see.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It is an add on service for Prime users with different rules, different expectations and a wholly different account system in fact, than the rest of Prime.

The drivers are NOT salaried.

Right now it's an experiment of sorts.

You are absolutely welcome to refuse tipping, but you can't take the moral high ground either.

You're basically committing a small social impoliteness that costs the delivery driver, not Amazon.

Now I'm not arguing in favor of tipping as a whole but this is the system we live in and if you don't abide by it then you're a statistic that ultimately hurts a driver with whom you have no beef and those who do tip will subsidize your lack thereof. You're not Hitler and you have a broad point, but specifically you're hurting the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom