• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2008 sequel :( ?!

Corto

The "no death" thing is just a strawman people who are enthusiastic about the game use to defend its difficulty, or lack thereof.

The platforming was basically braindead in comparison to the rest of the series. It was pretty and had some personality but the visual indicator of checkpointing wasn't the problem with the difficulty.

I found it challenging in trying to get a "flow" in the platforming, for lack of a better term. The jump assists were very forgiving but that fluidity of the movement was somewhat challenging. The combat though was really atrocious. Even I that loved the game can't find a way to defend it.

Edit: One of the challenges I set to myself was to jump to those platforms where the corrupted soldiers would appear before they actually materialize so I could insta-kill them to avoid the combat altogether hehehehe

Eusis

The "no death" thing is just a strawman people who are enthusiastic about the game use to defend its difficulty, or lack thereof.

The platforming was basically braindead in comparison to the rest of the series. It was pretty and had some personality but the visual indicator of checkpointing wasn't the problem with the difficulty.
Yeah, really. No dying was just window dressing, nothing more than a nicer way of indicating you fell/died and respawned, plus we have games like Xenoblade where dying results in zero lost progress and I don't think I've seen any hate for it there (though for physical travel you usually ARE set back much further). It's just a bland game period, everything's easy (or merely annoying), too much of the game is automated, and it has neither the thrill of exploring good open ended games have or the structure and deliberate design of linear games.

Zapages

hmm... All I know is that Jordan Mechner is not aware of any new PoP game that is development.

Aside from this, the last rumor was that there was a new PoP game is being made but it is not related to PoP 2008 nor SOT universe.

Also it might take more vibes from the AC series.

EDIT: PoP 2008 Wii clip is for the POP 2008 sequel that later became POP TFS for the Wii, you can tell by some of the environment for Wii version of The Forgotten Sands.

To me, a sequel would actually be one of the very few 3rd-party games that would be a system seller for next gen. The game is one of my favorites. The art style, the atmosphere, the score are all brilliant - and the game is just so relaxing. I love it.

I can't remember if the game had it listed in the menu, or if I looked it up, but you can combine every attack in one long combo. I memorized it and just repeatedly attempted it. It was like a dozen attacks and could take over half their health.

Who else figured out they needed to attempt suicide off that one bosses tower to get Elika back?

Kenaras

One of my favorite games this gen, and I'd love a sequel. I'm not going to waste time defending the game's design decisions; if you don't get it, you never will.

There was no challenge to this game whatsoever, but that was the beauty of it in my eyes. It was genuinely relaxing to play. A breath of fresh air compared to most games, which I try to beat on the hardest difficulty.

Fantastic art design to boot and solidly good story (even with the ending that broke my heart). I do wish for a sequel.

Sojgat

Gameplay was boring, the combat was horrible IMO but it surely looked and animated beautifully. The story was cool too. I wished they use the combat system similar to the originals or copy Batman but with Swords. Platforming was nice they can keep it. Gimme enemy variety and options to fight multiple ones and we are set.

Exactly what I came here to say. I would buy it if they fixed the combat, that was the worst part in my opinion. I enjoyed the platforming it was like a sort of rhythm game, no death was fine, art style was fantastic, plus the prince was cool he reminded me of Nathan Drake ;)

Gameboy415

PoP 2008 was the first Prince of Persia game I ever tried and I loved it!
I've since gone on to play the Sands of Time trilogy (and Forgotten Sands) but I'd love to see a current/next-gen sequel set in the PoP 2008 universe.

There was a sequel.... on the DS.

Not sure why everyone is ignoring this...

prince-of-persia-the-fallen-king-ds-boxart-big.jpg

Prince of Persia: The Fallen King on DS picks up right after Prince of Persia 2008!

Granted, it wasn't very good and it felt more like a side-story, but it's sadly as close to a sequel to PoP 2008 as we'll probably ever get. :(

RPGCrazied

I'd buy it. I still haven't played the PS3 version yet, but I will. I haven't even tried that DLC yet. Is it worth it?

Only played the main game on 360.

Apdiddy

I too loved this game but man oh man did I hate
the black and white section/final boss area from the point of view of the boss. Tedious crap.

I think if there is a sequel there needs to be more
on the Prince and the damage he caused to the rest of the world after revivaling Elika.

Still, the real issues with the game isn't the 'no death' checkpoints but how 'empty' the actual gameplay is. Traversing from one fairly gorgeous but boring area to another and engage against enemies that require almost no strategy to beat.

coopolon

I really enjoyed this game, played it on PC and it was a decent port, game looked amazing at 1080p.

Surprised to hear anyone speak favorably of the ending though, it was terrible and really tainted my memory of the game. PC didn't get the dlc though, so maybe that is part of it.

I also really liked the no death mechanic, but I do wish that the platforming had been more difficult. Theyc ould have really tuned up the difficulty because of the well implemented immortality imo.

ediT: to be clear I mean the ending boss sequence and the bits leading up to it. I actually liked the last few minutes after the final boss. It was something rather unique in video games.

TripOpt55

I own that DS game. I used to buy all things Prince of Persia. Right up until there was like 9 versions of The Forgotten Sands and then I just got the PS3 and Wii versions.

Sober

Am I the only one who thought that The Forgotten Sands was a better game?

Edit:

Apparently not :).
Forgotten Sands has the best platforming of any PoP game I can remember, so at least since SoT.

The combat blows, but 2008's is just shitty, as much as I like the game itself. It's only marginally better than SoT's because there is more than vaulting, attacking and using the dagger.

WW/TTT combat I really liked. Also, exploration in WW and 2008 are almost the same (you have a giant world you visit/revisit areas a few times differently).

dmshaposv

I disliked this game. The banter between the two leads was painfully forced (unlike that of the prince and farah from SoT) and the American accents really distracted (as if Nate Drake and Elena decided to dress up and go to fantasy land).

The forgiving gameplay didn't engage me at all, and while the art direction seemed initially good in the screenshots and concept arts - it just didn't translate as well in-game.

All in all, as Jett said, it was a poorly executed mess of a game.

Roto13

It wasn't the "real ending". The real ending was the ending in the game. The DLC was a bridge between two stories, and if you ever played it, or if you've ever spoken to anyone who played it, this would be painfully obvious.

Really. If they had released it separately as a $10 downloadable sequel, you wouldn't see this "Wah real ending" whining.

PoP haters have zero perspective.

I disliked this game. The banter between the two leads was painfully forced (unlike that of the prince and farah from SoT)

Nothing in PoP '08 was as awkward as walking into a sand pillar and blacking out out in Sands of Time for the tenth time and waking up with Farrah caressing your head and suddenly being all mooney and in love with you and worrying about you doing something you've done a bunch of times before.

shaowebb

I'm a big Prince of Persia fan period so you know I'm down for a sequel. My wish for a sequel to this though is some kind of accountability for failure. Elika saves me from falling and I can't die in a fight (all you do is have to start over). Theres really no real way to fail. Accomplishments lose meaning if theres no solid consequences for failure other than a small inconvenient delay of progress.

Bring back character death is all I ask.

I disliked this game. The banter between the two leads was painfully forced (unlike that of the prince and farah from SoT) and the American accents really distracted (as if Nate Drake and Elena decided to dress up and go to fantasy land).

The forgiving gameplay didn't engage me at all, and while the art direction seemed initially good in the screenshots and concept arts - it just didn't translate as well in-game.

All in all, as Jett said, it was a poorly executed mess of a game.

Prince and Elika were the best part of the game besides the art.

Squire

Banned
I LOVED the game. Thought its flaws we're minimal and I've gone through twice.

It's easily going to be in my top five of the generation. I'm with the OP; I've thought a lot about a sequel, too.

I finished this game, and the whole time I was like "Why am I playing this? Hell, I'm hardly even playing, the damn thing plays itself." But still, I played. And, because it's not too long, I don't remember it as a big waste of time or being a big grind.
The ending is unreal. It is, full-stop, one of the best, boldest endings in gaming. Not sure how a sequel could follow it up in a way that's as satisfying, but obv it leaves room for more adventures and bad-guy-pummeling.

JGS

Banned
Hehe, funny how that works about bold endings. I bet it did not illicit very many 'eh's around the world.
That's true. I was certainly thinking about the ending for some time.

If my 360 & TV didn't cost so much, I would have thrown the system at it.

It was way too disjointed from the rest of the story though. I would have loved the ending if:

1. A sequel was guaranteed to begin with
2. They built up the story to imply the "Prince" would actually take such drastic measures.

i-Lo

No need for a sequel to a bad game.

Simply put, if you didn't like you don't have to buy the next one. "No need" because I didn't like it argument is asinine.

PoP to this day remains one of the most picturesque and atmospheric (sense of loneliness) games not to mention the haunting and very memorable sountracks. The gameplay was limited with strict handheld guidance throughout but within that it was executed very well. I personally loved the implementation of "no death" in the game. It would have alleviated frustration had the gameplay not being that easy. Also, dialogues aside, the story was pretty weak, esp, how it unravelled in the end.

They could do a lot more in terms of gameplay improvements to make it challenging and less obvious when it comes to path finding. It has great potential as a sequel material. It'll be nice to see a sequel on Vita. It'd limit the dev cost and time and would act as a test bed for franchise's viability.

The ending prevents me from ever finishing the game a third time. A direct sequel will never be released and that's not really fair, seeing how it ended.

No need for a sequel to a bad game.

Given how much Ubi improved the gameplay from Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed 2, there's no reason to think they couldn't do the same with PoP.

Because as a game it was a boring piece of crap.
The art and main characters interaction was fantastic though.

But they always could make a sequel that has the only two good things and strip the rest making it a good game, its not as if the game didnt sell.

Zoibie

I would love to see a sequel. The combat in the first game was atrocious (even more so in the epilogue, amazingly) but everything else about the game was sublime. Easily the best story and narrative of all the PoP games. And that music, so good! Just maybe make the next game a tad harder.

Lime

An Ubisoft employee posted on gaf a year or two ago that they had a sequel to 2008 in pre-production, but it was quite unofficial. You can search for it in of the old threads.

I imagine the project got scrapped or put on hold, along with BGE2, when Ubisoft decided to throw 900 employees at the yearly iterations of AC games.

That's true. I was certainly thinking about the ending for some time.

If my 360 & TV didn't cost so much, I would have thrown the system at it.

It was way too disjointed from the rest of the story though. I would have loved the ending if:

1. A sequel was guaranteed to begin with
2. They built up the story to imply the "Prince" would actually take such drastic measures.

What I liked about the ending (mega spoiler)
was that the prince's actions were probably the wrong thing to do. You don't want the prince to do it, but the only way to advance the game is to cut down the trees. It unravels the story, but it makes the story about the prince and Erika rather than restoring the fertile grounds.
And yeah, I certainly thought about the ending for some time, which is something I don't do with video games very often. I loved it.

Tuck

Great visuals with decent platforming but marred by absolutely awful combat - one of the worst combat systems I have ever played.

KurowaSan

every time there's an Ubisoft press conference, I pray for it to happen. Despite its many mistakes, I loved every single second I spent playing PoP2008. I enjoyed the story, the characters, the environments... but gameplay wise, it was not the Prince of Persia I was hoping it would be. PoP2008 was the better experience but Forgotten Sands was the better game.
Even though you learn to appreciate that acrobatic flow of non-stop movement, they stripped the challenge out of the game, and I've thought plenty of times that the acrobatic combination system with Elika was a missed opportunity.

gMETK.png

They should have come up with powers that increased your acrobatic options and combine them just like in Forgotten Sands to reach the next safe place, rather than just double jump at the same height every time, or jump from magic plate to magic plate with no interaction from the player.

Blondie

Neo Member
I really enjoyed this game and fell in love with the two characters and their developing relationship. Elika and the Prince's interplay was really charming and heart warming. I loved, Loved, LOVED the original on disc ending and refuse to get the DLC that effectively ruins that ending. TBH sometimes you just can't go back and recreate a feeling well enough the second time around. So for me, if they never made a full fledged sequel, that'd be okay. Sometimes more isn't better, and I really appreciated what I got in PoP...

Yeah, the fact that they didn't is what I like most about it. It deconstructs 'The Hero's Journey' by deconstructing the hero. Suddenly, it implies so much about what The Prince might think about himself, the world around him and his relationship with the world, and all that breaking down because, you know, fuck it.

Top Bottom