• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably most of Scientology's funds come from us spending on Tom Cruise movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with other rich famous people in the Church.

Old story from April of 2015 (the recording itself from July 2013; skip to 36min) but still relevant in the discussion about separating the artist from their work. Didn't see another thread for it.

"When Tom Cruise's last movie came out [Oblivion]. It was a terrible movie. But we were going around telling everybody how awesome the movie was. Go see the movie. So Tom Cruise can get paid. And we can get paid."

That’s what a private investigator allegedly working for Scientology leader David Miscavige – billing the church $10,000 per week – told Wisconsin police when they brought the gumshoe in for questioning in July 2013.

“Where do you think the funding comes from?” an investigator asked Florida-based PI Daniel Powell in audio recordings obtained by The Daily News.

“Probably Tom Cruise,” Powell said around the 36-minute mark.

There’s audible laughter on the recording, but it’s no joke.

“I’m being serious,” Powell continued. “That’s probably where it comes from.”

The 21-year-old Powell spoke with West Allis Police after his father, Dwayne S. Powell, was stopped while staking out Miscavige’s 79-year-old father.

Cops discovered two rifles, four handguns, 2,000 rounds of ammunition, a stun gun and homemade silencer on the elder Powell.

“(Tom Cruise) funds the church with anything they need. So he’s pretty much funding all of this,” Powell said of the army of people he alleged the church was spying on.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...h-scientology-pi-tells-cops-article-1.2189801

Personally, I haven't paid to see a Tom Cruise movie since Ghost Protocol. And since watching Going Clear, will continue.

not to defend scientology here but if we dissected how all celebrities went about spending their earnings from films we'd probably find ourselves not really liking any of them

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So this PI works for Miscavige, but his dad spies on Miscavige's dad?

Miscaviage is completely paranoid and views anyone who knows anything about him or the workings of scientology as a threat.

Aiii

So not worth it
You don't need a PI for this, go read any of the multitude of books on Scientology, like Going Clear or the recent book by Leah Remini if you want to know more about how Scientology works like any other cult and charges it's members for "lessons".

Halo paid to be in the last mission impossible movie, some of that money must have made its way to Tom Cruise...and then to the Scientologists...#huntthetruth.

rakhir

I liked Oblivion.

Scientology has a lot of money regardless of Tom Cruise - they took money from people and put them in labour camps, didn't pay taxes for decades, and have countless high-valued properties all around the world.

aerts1js

I love Tom Cruise movies; honestly he's free to follow whatever religion he wants. I honestly think it's a stupid thing for people to get upset over.

injurai

Banned
Didn't he leave Scientology for his daughter is was that a lie?

I think that's just people in denial.

I love Tom Cruise movies; honestly he's free to follow whatever religion he wants. I honestly think it's a stupid thing for people to get upset over.

If stop and think about some of the things Scientology has done to people, then it's not as easy to dismiss.

If stop and think about some of the things Scientology has done to people, then it's not as easy to dismiss.

We have people blowing up abortion clinics/mosques/killing thousands of innocents every year in the name of religion. And these are accepted religions.

We have people blowing up abortion clinics/mosques/killing thousands of innocents every year in the name of religion. And these are accepted religions.

The difference is that those are fringe cases, people that fall on the extreme end of the religion, committing acts that are frowned upon by the vast majority of moderates.

Scientology is not a religion you 'dabble' in. If you're a practicing Scientologist you're all he way in. There's no such thing as a moderate. You're part of the cult and part of the crazy

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think I've ever seen a Tom Cruise movie in the theater. Might have bought a few on DVD though so I guess I'm somewhat guilty.

As much as I'm against religion in general that really is a false equivalency, it's not about what nut jobs do in the name of religion it's about what the religion itself does, if the pope starts signing kids up to 1000 year slave labour contracts then you might have a point

blackjaw

So was the 21 year old making $10,000 a week, or the 79 year old father?

Thats a lot of money to stalk someone and sleep in your car. Where do I sign up?

injurai

Banned

First off, it should be clear as day how Scientology is unique in it's obstructions and crimes against society.

Second I do criticize other religions for that which pertains to them.

Griss

To hell with the haters, Oblivion was good and Tom Cruise is good.

Scientology is bad, but if it's a choice between rampant Scientology or no more Cruise films I'm afraid we'll have to put up with the wackos.

Kettch

Isn't this how all churches make money? I mean, scientology sucks and all, but church member gives money to church seems like a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom